It's a new week, let's talk Elite!

I may be done with suit and gun engineering this week. I could keep going and engineer everything, but I have almost all of my must-haves on the Mav, 1 to go on the Artie, 2 on the Dom. I’ve got audio masking on my G5 Executioner and noise suppression on my sidearm. In a couple days I’ll be down to nice-to-have mods and alternative guns and I think those can wait.
Which means I may be ready to do a long exobiology trip by the weekend (yeah I know, G5 and engineer a Mav just to set it aside and go plant scanning, but I’ve got an itch to explore)

Zac Cocken

Junior Product Manager
Frontier
@Zac Cocken will multiplayer/multicrew, instancing, and overall network stability be improved by the time work starts on consoles? Will port forwarding just be a mandatory step if someone wants to use multicrew without jumping into disconnects?

We're continuing to look at issues like this throughout the updates, we know it's not in a great spot right now.

Zac Cocken

Junior Product Manager
Frontier
I may be done with suit and gun engineering this week. I could keep going and engineer everything, but I have almost all of my must-haves on the Mav, 1 to go on the Artie, 2 on the Dom. I’ve got audio masking on my G5 Executioner and noise suppression on my sidearm. In a couple days I’ll be down to nice-to-have mods and alternative guns and I think those can wait.
Which means I may be ready to do a long exobiology trip by the weekend (yeah I know, G5 and engineer a Mav just to set it aside and go plant scanning, but I’ve got an itch to explore)

No problem with that, it's good to get a change of scenery every once in a while! The engineered gear will be waiting for you when you return.

Good work! What are you going to be doing first once you've finished engineering?
Well, there is a war about to start that I may or may not have helped start...

And while I'm here I figure I should signal boost some of the not-really-gamebreaking issues like this one:

It's hard to get confirmations on stuff like this since "you get masslocked between 16km and 25km altitude" isn't really a gamebreaking bug that drives people to the issue tracker.

Do you remember the lift cut scenes in Mass Effect? where your crew wouold discuss the ongoing missions or background? Wouldn't it be great if Fdev used the ability to put an NPC in the chairs with us and we could choose to have our crew on the bridge or not.
They wouldn't just sit there silently but also occasionally call out helpful things just like the NPC crew of the Apex taxis do now. "We are entering Empire space now cmdr.. I've heard Aisling Duvall has rejected another offer of marriage. Check out the galnet, you might finally have your chance.. LOL"

What are your plans in-game for the week? What are you enjoying at the moment? What's not so great?

Looking for some PvP in EDH, hoping there are enough players online from the PvP community to fight against. Otherwise ganking due to lack of targets and meaningful PvP.
What's good: EDH still exists and I can play Elite without major crashes.
What's not so good: EDO as a whole and most importnatly the separation of the community in EDO owners non-EDO owners.

Got any feedback or suggestions for me? Any FA-OFF advice? Stream ideas?

Regarding CM specifc work: I'd like this post answered completely:

Hello sally.,

is there a chance the community will be getting a peek at how FD is working on EDO?

For example, could you record a video of your workplace (either home or the HQ) and how does the team meet up and discuss what to do during the coming weeks/months?
Is there an internal roadmap? I also hear a lot "internal discussions" when considering community feedback. How do these discussions work? Can we see a protocol as an example or could you live stream a meeting for once (without community questions during the meeting)?
Could you answer why players like me have the impressions that CMs are mainly abused by FD to act as a wall between the actual devs and the community?
Is there something you are explicitly not allowed to talk about?
Besides gathering community feedback, what are you tasks as a CM?
Who is the team developing ED and EDO in the first place? I remember frequent dev posts at the beginning of ED in 2014 ... now I don't even know who or how many are working on the ED project at all.
Why is it that CMs never seem to participate in community discussions (by participating I am referring to the actual discussion, not the act of gathering information of an ongoing or completed discussion. From my point of view, CMs (or any FDev staff) never engages in a discussion. It is one statement every now and then and then barely any replies ... quickly drying out the communication).
Also, FD have announced to be more transparent and communicative, yet many of the community questions remain unanswered or "can not talk about it at this point of time".

Last but not least, is this the right thread to ask all these questions (at once) and if not, where can I do this?

Best regards.

Regarding FA-off and non-CM work: Play the game in your free time more to understand the mechanics (which are by far not trivial) which allows you to comprehend community suggestions better or in some cases, at all. Also FA-off is mostly a motorical skill where a feeling has to be developed, less so a theoretical skill that can be learned by reading through sources. Just keep on practicing and you'll get there.

I'm particularly interested in knowing the ship you recommend learning FA-OFF in, something cheap please!

Since it should be cheap: Vulture. It's a great and nimble ship with good lateral thrusters and high turn rates. If you still can't afford this, take a look at the Viper MK III. Same benefits with even stronger lateral thrusters.

Last edited:
This is great, 8 pages in and I feel a rapport has been built with you and the community. It’s good to chill….. now tell us where Raxxla is
You honestly think they have coded Raxxla?? We can't even get a cockpit cat or trumble for heaven's sake, the game is broken and everything's on fire. If you found Raxxla right now it would probably be a giant computer which displayed the word 42 on it when activated...

Actually, that's not a bad idea!

You honestly think they have coded Raxxla?? We can't even get a cockpit cat or trumble for heaven's sake, the game is broken and everything's on fire. If you found Raxxla right now it would probably be a giant computer which displayed the word 42 on it when activated...

Actually, that's not a bad idea!
such a thing would be an asset we'd find data mining. it's not in a user accessible part of the game, but if you were to find it, it would use an existing asset, much like how the mega ships used anaconda's and such.

also yes, any hope that it would be awesome if found should be entirely squashed by the reality of the game and what's been achievable in it. Pray it's never found, and then your dreams wont have to die a sad inevitable disappointment.

also, flying fa-off and fa-on is a tool that should be used as needed ...not one or the other. You toggle between both as it suits the situation because fa-on is not just a "training wheels" for flying, it frees up attention and fingers for other things when those can be better utilized elsewhere. leverage both to your advantage on the fly.

You have to let me know how the object rolling goes, that would make an awesome Elite Sports event, or Buckyball event!
Imagine teams of commanders, each with their own "object", starting at a prescribed distance away from the settlement door and basically trying to roll it to this end goal.

qwFmu6f.png

What could possibly go wrong! 😆

Last edited:
I would like to execute my plan in the game but too many breaks and problems let me also just rest at the moment and wait for a new update. Looking forward!

such a thing would be an asset we'd find data mining. it's not in a user accessible part of the game, but if you were to find it, it would use an existing asset, much like how the mega ships used anaconda's and such.

also yes, any hope that it would be awesome if found should be entirely squashed by the reality of the game and what's been achievable in it. Pray it's never found, and then your dreams wont have to die a sad inevitable disappointment.

also, flying fa-off and fa-on is a tool that should be used as needed ...not one or the other. You toggle between both as it suits the situation because fa-on is not just a "training wheels" for flying, it frees up attention and fingers for other things when those can be better utilized elsewhere. leverage both to your advantage on the fly.
I think data miners should be banned if they reveal anything in the game, totally destroying any surprise for others is just wrong.

Hmm ...so you say if i do global search on my hdd for "raxxla" and it will be revealed in binary exe/dll I should be banned?
If you come up with anything and share it publicly that detracts from the game then yes. Say you found out that the thargoids were all on mars and could prove so because of data mining but not any proof from in game, Yes. i think you should be banned.

Top Bottom