Any change on Frontier's stance on VR?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I'm definitely guilty of that but what made me finally lose my faith in Fdev was the plants addition (it was shaken with the 'stuff to find out there in the black'), as in, they don't even have anyone on staff capable of doing procedural generation stuff anymore, everything is copy / pasted with new names on different planets (or out in space with the New StuffTM).

An update they called The New Era has nothing new in it. The engine wasn't updated, landlegs is just a fancy external camera, the shooting is ripped wholesale from ship combat and the plant scanning was a ripped off QTE mechanic - and I could of coped with all that if they'd just introduced some zero G shenanigans into the mix, more planet types maybe - just clouds, weather, oceans (would have been enough) and a new flight model to deal with atmospheric flight but now I don't even believe they have a team capable of that.

Ok, they've got the planet gen., a UI and lighting team (I'm guessing) and they broke all of them - so way to go guys!

Another space game (not SC) has, since its creation (made by one guy) been updated to Vulcan, maintained VR, controllable Newtonion Flight mode, planets with atmospheres and different flight model (speed above 200 kph to avoid stalling and falling like a brick) fighting storms, oceans, clouds, weather, asteroids with caves, NPC staff for bigger ships, deployable stations, scanners & etc, nebulae and stars you can refuel at (but don't get too close to the star or you will die), and about 30 system to explore with a war going on in the background...
Cons: Ship / console graphics not as pretty as ED, no space legs, no orbital mechanics, ship combat is hard.
Currently playing: Evochron Legacy SE.
Does Evochron legacy really support VR? It does not say it on steam but if it does I think I will buy

Does Evochron legacy really support VR? It does not say it on steam but if it does I think I will buy
Yes but not officially, so if SteamVR eventually breaks something too hard for him to fix he can dop it without too much hassle, but he recently dropped a small update just for VR stuff which I find amazing.

To run in VR make sure you start SteamVR first and you should get an option to run it in VR when you click start. Might have to go in options the first time and choose... something :) (supposed to be working now, not writing in forums, lol).

If you get it (and there's a demo that allows you to go thru' the training which is necessary - still in VR), and you like it but don't like the restrictive view, there's a great mod that gives you a much bigger field of view but the virtual monitors don't align well in VR. I edited the gauges.txt to get them a bit better aligned (but still not perfect because I'm impatient). I've been thinking about packaging the entire HUD mod up (picked the best bits from various mods) and uploading them with the gauges.txt somewhere.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like another one to add.to the pile of shame. Whether I get chance to play is debatable but I do like to support Devs who support VR, esp small ones.

many wasted words
how long before you accept my 'conjecture'?

I do accept it, as noted above. But simply not as the only possible outcome.

You seem unable to handle this. And there is no point discussing detail when someone is dogmatically wedded to a 'one true theory'.

The situation remains that stating the following as definitive fact is still currently daft:

Initial statement by OP: "VR is not going to be supported anymore in Odyssey."

Current reality: Vehicle VR is supported in Odyssey.

I do accept it, as noted above. But simply not as the only possible outcome.

You seem unable to handle this. And there is no point discussing detail when someone is dogmatically wedded to a 'one true theory'.
Problem with that is you erroneously presume that all outcomes are equally, or comparably, possible. Past evidence unfortunately points to your proposed possibility being distinctly less probable. The idea that all opinions carry the same merit is the backbone of conspiracy theories; everything is theoretically possible, but sometimes after cold analysis you have to conclude that some are too improbable to taken seriously.

As to dogma, I've addressed and rebutted your points, you've ignored mine. I don't think that would make me the one who is dogmatically wedded to a 'one true theory'.
The situation remains that stating the following as definitive fact is still currently daft:
Except that vehicle VR is supported in Odyssey does not imply that support will continue, let alone be expanded upon. That's a logical fallacy.

Except that vehicle VR is supported in Odyssey does not imply that support will continue, let alone be expanded upon. That's a logical fallacy.
What do you mean? You think they rip out the code that's working and redo it? For what reason? Seems a waste of dev funds to me.
They said it won't be developed further for the time being. Nothing more - nothing less. You have what you have and keep what you have. Any doomsaying beyond is drama.

Where did I do that?
You certainly imply it as at no point do you hint at which is more likely. If I am wrong and you accept that future VR support and development, while possible is extremely unlikely, then I can accept that. No argument there.
Sure. But it does challenge definitive statements of an end of support.
It doesn't. See below.
What do you mean? You think they rip out the code that's working and redo it? For what reason? Seems a waste of dev funds to me.
They said it won't be developed further for the time being. Nothing more - nothing less. You have what you have and keep what you have. Any doomsaying beyond is drama.
I think you misunderstand what I mean by support. When something is supported in software, it does require updating for that support to continue. What we have now is VR which supports current headsets, with current drivers, but this will change and there is no undertaking that these will continue to be supported.

When you get an 'end of support' (or 'end of life') statement from a software provider, they don't rip out the code. They just stop updating it and eventually it stops working.

You certainly imply it as at no point do you hint at which is more likely. If I am wrong and you accept that future VR support and development, while possible is extremely unlikely, then I can accept that. No argument there.

It doesn't. See below.

I think you misunderstand what I mean by support. When something is supported in software, it does require updating for that support to continue. What we have now is VR which supports current headsets, with current drivers, but this will change and there is no undertaking that these will continue to be supported.

When you get an 'end of support' (or 'end of life') statement from a software provider, they don't rip out the code. They just stop updating it and eventually it stops working.
The question is how soon would that happen. I don't expect future hardware is supposed to work on old software eventually, but that is also down to the hardware manufacturer. Cutting support for new headsets is cost control.
ED marketed to broad an audience to to get good sales. The sales they got down but it's harder and harder to satisfy the broad audience. I wanted a SP experience - I got a gimped MP. VR players see not all aspects get supported in VR.

The question is how soon would that happen. I don't expect future hardware is supposed to work on old software eventually, but that is also down to the hardware manufacturer. Cutting support for new headsets is cost control.
Oh, I can't see that happening in a hurry. In all honestly, I can see VR users leaving the game long before because of lack of new VR enabled content. The point I was making is that replicating what was already in Horizons is not an indicator of any future intentions on the part of FDev. Certainly it's no proof that any Odyssey content will be VR enabled. That's just wishful thinking.
ED marketed to broad an audience to to get good sales. The sales they got down but it's harder and harder to satisfy the broad audience. I wanted a SP experience - I got a gimped MP. VR players see not all aspects get supported in VR.
ED allowed FDev to expand from a small software house that had been bumbiling along for decades to a publically listed company. At the same time I can well understand if they feel the customer base that came to the game is way more trouble than we're worth.

Just a simplez question - since frontier's CM's are getting all touchy feely and hanging out with us in the forum, has anyone said anything more on VR? Or have they still only got 24 letters in their alphabet?
Unless Sony or Facebook pay them to invest in vr, I suggest it not going to happen. They got bigger fish to fry.

Facebook isn't going to do anything too exciting contentwise, the social media giant hasn't even been able to fund a decent social VR app. All they do is line up crappy little franchise spinoffs for mobile.

The idea of Sony ponying up some money for PSVR2 support is interesting. A year of exclusivity and howls of pain!

But even if there was money and a small team, holy cow - what an optimization effort. They'd have to seriously downgrade graphics for smooth performance. Or we need 4080s.

I miss VR, although I don't miss the Oculus screen door. Fingers crossed the DSS will start working again in VR, some day.

:D S

But even if there was money and a small team, holy cow - what an optimization effort. They'd have to seriously downgrade graphics for smooth performance. Or we need 4080s.
They need to do that anyway, to get it on last gen consoles, optimise anyway, hope they don't downgrade too much. The biggest problem they have is getting the culling to work which they've still not done yet as it keeps throwing bugs like floating eyeballs up when it's done (Dr Ross stream), so when (if) that gets done the performance jump will be extreme.

Tho' in all honesty I wouldn't rely on them doing anything about on foot VR, we need a player who can knock something up (not VorpX either). The basics are there, built into the game, just need a mod to bring it all together.

They need to do that anyway, to get it on last gen consoles, optimise anyway, hope they don't downgrade too much.

I am rather curious what the supposed inordinate costly amount of early reads and writes to the z-buffer is all about... Is it just something written very inefficiently/unnecessarily, that could be eliminated, or is it some neat trick that front-loads work, but pays back in the other end? -Maybe something to do with the blending between terrain and other objects..?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom