Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Questions and Answers

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
You might try asking @sallymorganmoore
I don't think anything has been said recently.

I mean I can't provide an absolute statement in a forum response sadly, for those they're formally a thing of their own.
We provided confirmation that there are no further additional plans for VR development (in terms of new VR feature support) for Odyssey in a livestream some time ago BUT we are still supporting what is presently available for VR players - for example fixing any major issues and listening to feedback on the current VR experience with potential views to resolve any quality of live issues within scope of the core game development.
Hope this helps a bit for now! Just a summary of what's been said before I'm afraid so it doesn't quite fit the bill for what the epoch5 is asking :(

I mean I can't provide an absolute statement in a forum response sadly, for those they're formally a thing of their own.
We provided confirmation that there are no further additional plans for VR development (in terms of new VR feature support) for Odyssey in a livestream some time ago BUT we are still supporting what is presently available for VR players - for example fixing any major issues and listening to feedback on the current VR experience with potential views to resolve any quality of live issues within scope of the core game development.
Hope this helps a bit for now! Just a summary of what's been said before I'm afraid so it doesn't quite fit the bill for what the epoch5 is asking :(
Thanks for taking the time to answer, Sally.
I only pinged you as your activity is already "Legendary" in the opinion of many, so gives @epoch5 an answer as requested.

Thank you very much for your answer but here is my stance I have spent about $3000.00 on equipment to play this game in VR. As long as the game is playable in VR (I do not care about the PvP stuff or the space legs.) I will continue to support the base game as long as VR remains. If ED ultimately evolves past VR I will not be spending any money on a non VR version. Thanks again for your reply.

It's still a no. To be honest that's the right thing to do. As much as Odyssey has improved, it still needs a lot of work. Both getting the performance up and putting in more content in.

It might be better to ask, would you pay for an expansion to bring on-foot VR to Odyssey, because that's probably the only way they'll be able to put it in. (Add to that, I don't think they have the expertise at the moment to do walking around VR).
Absolutely I would pay for a VR update. After spending 3000.00 on equipment to play the game in VR another few buck for a VR update is chicken feed.

I have spent about $3000.00 on equipment to play
Is that $US?
About £2,000 - which isn't that much really - although to just play ED, there are some great VR titles out there if you wanted to consider them!
e.g. Lone Echo, Half-Life: Alyx, Boneworks, Obduction, The Talos Principal VR...

Is that $US?
About £2,000 - which isn't that much really - although to just play ED, there are some great VR titles out there if you wanted to consider them!
e.g. Lone Echo, Half-Life: Alyx, Boneworks, Obduction, The Talos Principal VR...
Yes it's US 3000.00 may not be much to you but it is to me. I have played Half Life it was very good but ED is why I am in VR at all. I do not enjoy playing ED in non VR mode and will not do it. I will move on to other games only if forced to due to FD tossing VR. BTW: the cost of the computer was not in the 3000.00 I had to buy the computer no matter what.

Last edited:

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
Thank you very much for your answer but here is my stance I have spent about $3000.00 on equipment to play this game in VR. As long as the game is playable in VR (I do not care about the PvP stuff or the space legs.) I will continue to support the base game as long as VR remains. If ED ultimately evolves past VR I will not be spending any money on a non VR version. Thanks again for your reply.

Understood! VR isn't going to be removed, so you'll be able to still play in VR for both Horizons and Odyssey, but only at the level of "development" currently available to you. Fixes and such to issues with what's currently available will of course be considered for fixing. Just wanted to clarify :) Can be a bit tricky to get heads around (including my own at times!)

Understood! VR isn't going to be removed, so you'll be able to still play in VR for both Horizons and Odyssey, but only at the level of "development" currently available to you. Fixes and such to issues with what's currently available will of course be considered for fixing. Just wanted to clarify :) Can be a bit tricky to get heads around (including my own at times!)
Thanks again.

Yes it's US 3000.00 may not be much to you but it is to me. I have played Half Life it was very good but ED is why I am in VR at all. I do not enjoy playing ED in non VR mode and will not do it. I will move on to other games only if forced to due to FD tossing VR.
The amount you spent is about average for outfitting for VR (good HMD & GPU will eat that amount easily) which is why I'd made the point of other titles - getting better value for your money - it is still substantial if targetted toward a single game.

The amount you spent is about average for outfitting for VR (good HMD & GPU will eat that amount easily) which is why I'd made the point of other titles - getting better value for your money - it is still substantial if targetted toward a single game.
It was and still is targeted toward one game but if it goes away at some point I will search for something else.

I am very grateful to Sally for at least clearing things up about that even though it wasn't what I wanted to hear. A whole bunch of rumors and misinterpretation out there.

I have spent the same if not more and still want VR headlook instead of the immersion killing 2d theater screen. VR is a game changer and without it I wouldn't play Elite so the lack of enthusiasm for VR from Frontier is disheartening.

Yes it's US 3000.00 may not be much to you but it is to me. I have played Half Life it was very good but ED is why I am in VR at all. I do not enjoy playing ED in non VR mode and will not do it. I will move on to other games only if forced to due to FD tossing VR. BTW: the cost of the computer was not in the 3000.00 I had to buy the computer no matter what.
I hope Frontier realizes that if Star Citizen adds VR even it its current state I would jump ship immediately and from what I hear they do have plans to implement VR

I hope Frontier realizes that if Star Citizen adds VR even it its current state I would jump ship immediately and from what I hear they do have plans to implement VR
I'm sure you wouldn't be alone....
(didn't they announce their looking to incorporate VR around 5 years ago?)

If Frontier is incapable of fixing VR headlook then please allow us access the the Cobra engine so we can do it for you!

I'm sure you wouldn't be alone....
(didn't they announce their looking to incorporate VR around 5 years ago?)
lol yeah that's the downside, to me its a space race between both of these companies to get it done. Star Citizen has all the features to make for an incredible VR experience, Elite could be so much better if they would simply add headlook..its frustrating as hell

lol yeah that's the downside, to me its a space race between both of these companies to get it done. Star Citizen has all the features to make for an incredible VR experience, Elite could be so much better if they would simply add headlook..its frustrating as hell
Really Frontier should have stuck to their decision to have no VR in Odyssey, particularly seeing how unpredictable performance has been since 'release'. That would have 'upset' the VR community less than the 'incomplete' implementation we currently have, I think.

Really Frontier should have stuck to their decision to have no VR in Odyssey, particularly seeing how unpredictable performance has been since 'release'. That would have 'upset' the VR community less than the 'incomplete' implementation we currently have, I think.
VR is not the problem for the iinstability in Ody. They just released to soon. VR is the whipping boy when all other explanations fail or they don't want to admit the real reason for problems. Half Life Alex proved that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom