*******Odyssey: Console Release ETA. *******

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
The Combat triangle makes for a bad combat mechanic imo - since it's hard to match the ship weapon's range and firepower while still making the game interesting from solo and multiplayer perspectives - and i think i was more of a marketing gimmick than anything else.
Not at last, i guess we did read too much into it.

Pretty much like we did with the Armstrong moment - another marketing ploy that build unrealistic hype (and disappointment)
Which is my point. Armstrong moment doesn't exist, but was hyped anyway, so obviously we were disappointed. The combat triangle doesn't exist either, so obviously it's lacking. Fdev hyping both when they doesn't exist was sure to be disappointing.

They could have worked to have the ships being part of the fight, without being OP. As I said earlier, atmo fights for one, it's still ship vs ship. Then CZ but you can join with a ship, and hunt dropships, while fighting the enemy cover to. You'd be too busy to nuke the CZ anyway.
And when on the ground, use multicrew and the ship as a "consumable" of sort, where you can call it every X minutes to do a pass and shoot at people, using the NPC crew member as pilot. Make the ship kinda immortal, IE, if its health gets too low, the NPC pull back and the ship isn't destroyed. You just lose active time, not the ship.

To make sure multiplayer and player ship attack are balanced, you have a few ways to do it. Have the NPC get inside the building when a ship is attacking (only make sense),and/or have the base anti ship turret with poor tracking but high damage. If you try to hover and shoot, they nuke you. Doing quick run over the base is more safe (but obviously less powerful).

Or you could have to, you know, disable the AA turrets (as we can do already), and then be able to use ships. Imagine MP, player A get in and disable the guns, player B is then able to swoop in and shoot the people. There, teamwork. And it's still balanced because you got to infiltrate the base to drop the turret, so it's not that easy. And you get rewarded for it.

That's 5m brainstorming, I'm sure an entire studio of people can come up with better ideas that could be implemented.

UPDATE: There is no update, however there will be a patch for Horizons in Sept.
... for PC only?

:unsure:

edit: found this on reddit. "a number of these" means not all though:

The following issues will also be resolved in Update 7:
  • NHSS signals in Odyssey are Empty
  • Fleet Carrier and Module costs not included in overall wealth
  • Support missions are not widely available
  • Missions and Rewards are not shared with the team
  • A previously present codex entry is now missing
  • Stolen tritium cannot be donated into a fleet carrier's fuel depot
  • Too much CC returned when systems revolt.
  • Mission Reward Material Missing
  • Deposit fragments stuck inside the rock
  • Unable to interact with Comms Panel in head look
  • Some rock scatter only visual in right eye in VR
  • Seeker and Packhound Missiles do double damage against shields
  • Choosing +Influence reward from missions gives no influence
  • CZ captain defence incorrectly rewards credit bonds for the enemy faction
In addition to Odyssey Update 7 we’re pleased to confirm that a number of these fixes and QoL improvements will be deployed to Horizons players on both PC and console in September – we will of course share full patch notes for both around release.

Last edited:
There will be no Odyssey for consoles. It's clear that Frontier is now in the phase of shipping real new content for Odyssey on PC (new station interiors, air defense systems, megaship interiors etc), and for that they probably needed to stop console development. They can only keep up fixing and expanding the game if they can focus all their efforts on PC. Elite will continue to expand on that platform and they probably don't want to make the mistake of spreading their resources thin again, so no console version. And, as this is a game as a service, there will never be a point where they can call it "complete" and start doing a console port (again). They will also never be able to sync up development on three separate platforms (four if you count Xbox Series S as a different platform, seven if you count the old-gen consoles as well). It's clear that for Elite it's not the way forward.

Even if there was a console version of Odyssey ever planned, what would guarantee they wouldn't abandon it again at the first setback? For the development team consoles are just a nuisance now. They were a good idea back then when Elite was much smaller and more focused, but it's too big now to handle on all these different platforms. So focus remains exclusively on PC going forward in my opinion.

The platforms are two, playstation and xbox. It would not be correct to insert all the variants of the consoles, in this case you could do the same with the PC (nvidia, amd, gtx 2060, gtx 3090, amd radeon 5700 etc ...) Among other things, the Microsoft console is extremely adaptable. I don't see any other problem than not wanting to commit seriously p.s. sorry for my english

The platforms are two, playstation and xbox. It would not be correct to insert all the variants of the consoles, in this case you could do the same with the PC (nvidia, amd, gtx 2060, gtx 3090, amd radeon 5700 etc ...) Among other things, the Microsoft console is extremely adaptable. I don't see any other problem than not wanting to commit seriously p.s. sorry for my english
I think what dreampage was getting at was that XBoxOne runs at a different resolution to XBox Xseries, and PS4Pro has a option to toggle between Quality vs Performance which the PS4 doesn't.
Frontier already runs different build-outs for the different consoles and console types.

If the completely un-substantiated rumour is to be believed, the internet keyboard warriors believe that Odyssey will not work on last gen consoles.
Some are saying that the Odyssey DLC will only come to current gen consoles, others are saying that because it wont make it onto one, it wont make it onto any.

I, personally, believe that all the noise that Frontier has made towards consoles has confirmed that it'll (eventually) make it to current gen, I cant say the same for last gen.

The base of elite dangerous is already existing as you said, the work on the dlc is relatively less demanding than a version created from scratch. I'm just angry and disappointed, very disappointed, by Frontier's attitude towards us Console players. I know Odyssey isn't great yet but I don't want to fall behind or, to be more precise, intentionally left behind. I also paid for the game like everyone else and I also bought the pc version to support Frontier I know they won't read me and probably won't even interest them but I wanted to say it anyway

The problem here is a lack of clear and up to date messaging. I think we're all agreed on that, even Frontier themselves.

Just look at some of the +1year old threads on the PlayStation forum asking for information about Odyssey, current gen, peripheral support, cross play etc. etc.

They go unanswered or are given very short and vague answers that give no clarity. It all just fuels speculation and drives negativity needlessly. It's a real shame.

Developers usually list them as separate platforms, not for marketing reasons but because they have to manually optimize every version to the capabilities to each console. On PC it's more straightforward because it will be the user who sets the graphics to their own configuration. On consoles it's the developers who have to do that. Resolution, graphical effects and settings, performance optimization. Previous and current generation consoles use different architectures (GCN vs RDNA2), so even though they are compatible between generations and games are generally scalable, it's an extra amount of work. Even if Frontier ditches support for older consoles, they will still have three models remaining with differing specs, strengths and weaknesses. And this is exactly what they don't want to care about anymore, it takes up too much resources. Not to mention working with the two platform holders. Different stores, certification processes, technical requirements, etc. They can work much more easily and freely in the PC environment and I think the complex nature of Odyssey was the breaking point from which they just can't realistically support consoles anymore.

Developers usually list them as separate platforms, not for marketing reasons but because they have to manually optimize every version to the capabilities to each console. On PC it's more straightforward because it will be the user who sets the graphics to their own configuration. On consoles it's the developers who have to do that. Resolution, graphical effects and settings, performance optimization. Previous and current generation consoles use different architectures (GCN vs RDNA2), so even though they are compatible between generations and games are generally scalable, it's an extra amount of work. Even if Frontier ditches support for older consoles, they will still have three models remaining with differing specs, strengths and weaknesses. And this is exactly what they don't want to care about anymore, it takes up too much resources. Not to mention working with the two platform holders. Different stores, certification processes, technical requirements, etc. They can work much more easily and freely in the PC environment and I think the complex nature of Odyssey was the breaking point from which they just can't realistically support consoles anymore.
Ok hey wait, the consoles like the old ones could elite get into a very well performance, the devs should put a lot of effort. Yes that’s true, but you forgot, when a developer decide to create a live service game, and afterwards they decided to make it to an Multiplattform game, then they should develop the game for any Plattform at the same time. Every company does it with their third party game. Some fixes an chances comes earlier to pc, and backward. Nowadays STELLARIS as an example, stands on the consoles one step behind the pc version, but when there is a simpley update or quality of life improvements, the roll it out to every Plattform, and this game was a long time pc exclusive, sorry but there are no excuse in this term. EDO might be complex, but a lot of information comes from fdevs server farm. And it was show in the past, that EDO didn’t get any good polish at the end. So in pure techinical side, the old consoles could get a low performance level for EDO. And as per live service game could be optimized over the time. My honest opinion is, the old consoles could run EDO, but there was a very big lack of optimization. In my opinion they should bring it to the Next gen consoles. Which could handled EDO easy. Then one last thing what you have forget, is that the architecture of the consoles, are not too far from pc than you think.

EDO should be for the new consoles, but this game isn’t in any way Next gen, compared to other games.

i think, the pure effort of optimization could bring the old consoles in a good direction. But this is just a dream

If the completely un-substantiated rumour is to be believed, the internet keyboard warriors believe that Odyssey will not work on last gen consoles.

Well, i used to say that AMD FSR is not running on last gen consoles, but it was pointed to me that i'm wrong.
Apparently AMD FSR does work on both XB1 and PS4 which could enable FD to render EDO at 720p upscaled to 1080p for XB1 and PS4 and have it render at 1080p upscaled to 4k on PS4 Pro and XB1X.

Now, it remains to be seen, but as long as they dont announce otherwise officially, EDO is going to be launched on PS4 and XB One.

Regardless of the architecture of the gpu all consoles are compatible with previous versions (it is true especially for Microsoft consoles) so there should be no problems, it simply lacks the will to do so

Regardless of the architecture of the gpu all consoles are compatible with previous versions (it is true especially for Microsoft consoles) so there should be no problems, it simply lacks the will to do so

Do you really think that the game will run the same on an XBox One (Console in production at the point of launch) and an XBox Series X?
There is a big difference between being compatible and running like a dog.

The time, cost and effort required to do this sometimes means that developers don't say certain combinations of hardware are incompatible. Poor performance could do more reputational damage than gained from ticking off that it works.

I can assure you that it is the same game, the framerate can be better because the series x has the fps boost and auto hdr. If the game has the framerate not blocked the improvements are immediate even without fps boost

Definatly better on series x, installed on internal ssd has almost no load time, runs smoother, graphics better, very little lag in busy systems and orange sidewinders are less frequent.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom