New record for high gravity landable planet!

I just landed on there and recorded the speeds during descent with FA off, it's only 10g. We have been lied to! (now there's a surprise!) the math for descent velocities doesn't get anywhere near 45g, I recorded 98m/s^2 (approx) on FA off and still survived when my 800Mj asp bit the dust...I should have been a mangled wreck.

Yeah it's a glitched G-force reading cause the 11g planets felt heavier than this.
It's not just a glitched reading. As others have noted, the surface gravity is correct for the mass and radius of this planet - the basic physical properties of the planet are self-consistent. If there is a glitch at work, it is that the flight model is unable to reflect the effects of flying in such an extreme environment.

It's not just a glitched reading. As others have noted, the surface gravity is correct for the mass and radius of this planet - the basic physical properties of the planet are self-consistent. If there is a glitch at work, it is that the flight model is unable to reflect the effects of flying in such an extreme environment.
I suspect that the Physics Engine maxed out at just over 11G, and that's why we don't experience the full 45 on this body.
Might be worth opening a bug report to get FDev to "fix" this specific planet, but they might end up patching it out of existence.

I suspect that the Physics Engine maxed out at just over 11G, and that's why we don't experience the full 45 on this body.
Might be worth opening a bug report to get FDev to "fix" this specific planet, but they might end up patching it out of existence.
FDev wouldn't patch out this planet tho since people would complain. Why Mitterand Hollow still exists orbiting at 50.000km/s lol

I just dismissed and recalled my ship on that planet. If you've ever done this on a high-G world in Odyssey, you probably noticed that the autopilot drops your ship like a brick after deploying the landing gear (example here). Turns out in Horizons that doesn't happen. The automatic landing is perfectly smooth, and the power distributor pips don't reset to 2/2/2 as they do in Odyssey.

I just dismissed and recalled my ship on that planet. If you've ever done this on a high-G world in Odyssey, you probably noticed that the autopilot drops your ship like a brick after deploying the landing gear (example here). Turns out in Horizons that doesn't happen. The automatic landing is perfectly smooth, and the power distributor pips don't reset to 2/2/2 as they do in Odyssey.

Well, the ship drops indeed, but the shields stay at 100%.
Which means, as far as the game engine is concerned, that the landing was really really smooth. 😂

The grav does not matter much.
As long the ship is level, the thrusters will always have enough juice to keep the ship afloat

Well, the ship drops indeed, but the shields stay at 100%.
Which means, as far as the game engine is concerned, that the landing was really really smooth. 😂
The shield drops to 92% on impact. And that ship is an allrounder; shield to mass ratio is 6.6 MJ/t. For comparison, on a typical 80 Ly Exploraconda with reinforced 4A shields that ratio is less than 1 MJ/t.

The shield drops to 92% on impact. And that ship is an allrounder; shield to mass ratio is 6.6 MJ/t. For comparison, on a typical 80 Ly Exploraconda with reinforced 4A shields that ratio is less than 1 MJ/t.
I did 3 attempts in Odyssey and 3 in Horizons with my Beluga with 5D unengineered shields and lightweight hull engineered with heavy duty G4. About 0.1 MJ/t. In Odyssey each attempt killed the shields and damaged the hull for ~25% on average. In Horizons shield remained intact. I get the impression that Horizons lowers the ship at predetermined speed no matter what the gravity is, while Odyssey lets the autopilot actually land so when it uses downward thrust the result is what we would expect.

A cookie cutter exploration vessel with minimal shields will likely take damage in Odyssey.

I recorded one attempt in Horizons and in Odyssey, here they are if anyone's interested. After recalling there's just the long wait for the ship to descend, so you can safely skip to somewhere around the end.

I did 3 attempts in Odyssey and 3 in Horizons with my Beluga with 5D unengineered shields and lightweight hull engineered with heavy duty G4. About 0.1 MJ/t. In Odyssey each attempt killed the shields and damaged the hull for ~25% on average. In Horizons shield remained intact. I get the impression that Horizons lowers the ship at predetermined speed no matter what the gravity is, while Odyssey lets the autopilot actually land so when it uses downward thrust the result is what we would expect.

A cookie cutter exploration vessel with minimal shields will likely take damage in Odyssey.

I recorded one attempt in Horizons and in Odyssey, here they are if anyone's interested. After recalling there's just the long wait for the ship to descend, so you can safely skip to somewhere around the end.

Very conclusive
Now raise an issue, link the movies and, since it's Thu Sallysday, we could try to get her attention... in about an hour or so :)

Thank you for testing this.

Btw, did you notice the absence of dust in Odyssey?

...I actually didn't until you pointed it out. I'll check my graphics settings when I'm home, everything should have been maxed out...

edit: Well, everything is maxed out so it's not the settings. Yet another issue with Odyssey, it seems...

Last edited:
...I actually didn't until you pointed it out. I'll check my graphics settings when I'm home, everything should have been maxed out...

edit: Well, everything is maxed out so it's not the settings. Yet another issue with Odyssey, it seems...
Would be cool if that's actually working as designed. As in, the particle ballistics are respecting the insanely high gravity. Without air to slow them down, dust particles should also be falling back down at 45g, so they wouldn't travel very far at all.

Would be cool if that's actually working as designed. As in, the particle ballistics are respecting the insanely high gravity. Without air to slow them down, dust particles should also be falling back down at 45g, so they wouldn't travel very far at all.
OK, I tested it again and checked the original video file. The dust is there, but it's black and close to the ground - much less visible but you can see it during takeoff. When landing the ship is probably still too high.

And yes, it would be cool if gravity affected dust and other things but it doesn't seem to be the case. Chaff also fires normally.

Just to let everyone know, my FC will be departing KOI 1701 in 24 hours, I will be closing access to all visitors immediately and heading for areas where you will not be able to jump to nearby systems. If anyone is using The Nameless One for docking and gets trapped far from any other stars let me know here and I will drop back into a more populous area.

Top Bottom