New record for high gravity landable planet!

Just to let everyone know, my FC will be departing KOI 1701 in 24 hours, I will be closing access to all visitors immediately and heading for areas where you will not be able to jump to nearby systems. If anyone is using The Nameless One for docking and gets trapped far from any other stars let me know here and I will drop back into a more populous area.
Hot tip, if you don't mind a rebuy.
If you blow up after docking at a carrier that you're no longer allowed to dock at, you'll get transported back to the Bubble in your own ship.

I still haven't had a chance to go over there and try to pancake land. Are there other public-access carriers still in system? If not, I'll probably bring Glorious Dawn over.

My database says that there are multiple carriers, but has little info in terms of docking permissions (NULL = unknown), and isn't always 100% up to date.

Code:
MariaDB [elite]> select ID,name,callsign,DockingAccess from carriers where systemName='KOI 1701' order by name;                     
+-------+------------------------+----------+---------------+
| ID    | name                   | callsign | DockingAccess |
| 33110 | -                      | JLM-67G  | NULL          |
|  8530 | ANTELOPE               | Q5N-0VB  | all           |
| 27424 | CHEESE FINDER          | MFX-39Z  | NULL          |
| 80186 | DLNV DOGGO DAYCARE     | XZG-WVX  | NULL          |
| 81650 | ENF FOR THE PLOT       | VLM-LXX  | NULL          |
| 13959 | FTM RUBY RUBY RUBY     | XLB-L3L  | NULL          |
| 10527 | GALACTIC SALT REFINERY | J7K-6VY  | NULL          |
| 81248 | IN4MAT'S 21D26         | VLM-WXM  | NULL          |
| 82290 | KURONEKO-YAMATO        | XZX-91N  | NULL          |
| 14065 | MISERY CLASS CARRIER   | XBY-9QQ  | NULL          |
| 18730 | SANCTUARY              | KFG-18B  | NULL          |
| 85042 | THE BIG GET SUPAMAX    | V9H-94Y  | NULL          |
| 13682 | VANELLOPE              | K3M-WVG  | NULL          |
13 rows in set (0.001 sec)

I still haven't had a chance to go over there and try to pancake land. Are there other public-access carriers still in system? If not, I'll probably bring Glorious Dawn over.

My database says that there are multiple carriers, but has little info in terms of docking permissions (NULL = unknown), and isn't always 100% up to date.

Code:
MariaDB [elite]> select ID,name,callsign,DockingAccess from carriers where systemName='KOI 1701' order by name;                    

Mine is not set to none and now says null, so I don't know if that's what null means. It seems strange they are all null except 1, many of them were squadron and friend only as far as I am aware so yes I guess null must mean unknown. I will be gone in around 8 hours, keep in mind Medusa's Rock is only 1,200ly away if you can't find a FC dock, you can at least land there on the way and assure yourself of not getting sent all the way back to the bubble!

Yeah, the null just means I don't have a value for it at all. I only get docking permissions from the CarrierStats event, which has to be sent to me over EDD or the IGAU EDMC plugin, from the carrier owners themselves. So it's not surprising that it's missing for most of them.

Just to let everyone know, my FC will be departing KOI 1701 in 24 hours, I will be closing access to all visitors immediately and heading for areas where you will not be able to jump to nearby systems. If anyone is using The Nameless One for docking and gets trapped far from any other stars let me know here and I will drop back into a more populous area.
I disembarked yesterday, but thanks for the heads up and for the hospitality! Five stars out of five.

Code:
Looking in game right now, docking access is set to all on DLNV DOGGO DAYCARE, KURONEKO-YAMATO, VOX POPULI, MISERY CLASS CARRIER and ANTELOPE. Last one belongs to my squadron leader, CMDR Voodoo Le Strange, and should remain in the system at least until the end of this week.

it would have been nice if the acceleration to the planet was actually at 45g (450m/s^2) instead of being capped at 10g (100m/s^2)

Last edited:
it would have been nice if the acceleration to the planet was actually at 45g (450m/s^2) instead of being capped at 10g (100m/s^2)

You aren't the only one who wished the planets were more dangerous as the gravity increased instead of being capped, but I don't think FDEV ever expected a 45g landable planet to appear at all, so there's no allowance for that in the system. Oh well!

I was under the impression that this planet was manually placed, not procedurally generated...I could be wrong though, in which case I'll get me coat

it still isn't right though when it says raspberry on the tin, but when you taste it you find that its just vanilla with red food colouring.

I was under the impression that this planet was manually placed, not procedurally generated...I could be wrong though, in which case I'll get me coat

it still isn't right though when it says raspberry on the tin, but when you taste it you find that its just vanilla with red food colouring.

It could be auto-generated from the astronomical data from the Kepler Survey, but it's unlikely to actually be hand placed, there are many thousands of stars in the KOI catalogue so that would be impractical to hand place all the transiting objects. It's been suggested it's a data import error and that's possible, but many KOI systems have entire solar systems of planets of planets that couldn't possibly have been spotted on the survey, so these systems do have procedurally generated bodies in them.

You aren't the only one who wished the planets were more dangerous as the gravity increased instead of being capped, but I don't think FDEV ever expected a 45g landable planet to appear at all, so there's no allowance for that in the system. Oh well!
Not only planets.
Maybe I'm madman, but I could be happy without cap on gravity, exclusion zones (if you want fly into star- do it), more deadly black holes, and maybe neutron stars (but here I haven't ideas, random malunctions of any module in system/certain distance to star?)

It could be auto-generated from the astronomical data from the Kepler Survey, but it's unlikely to actually be hand placed, there are many thousands of stars in the KOI catalogue so that would be impractical to hand place all the transiting objects. It's been suggested it's a data import error and that's possible, but many KOI systems have entire solar systems of planets of planets that couldn't possibly have been spotted on the survey, so these systems do have procedurally generated bodies in them.
was it you who suggested, in another forum thread, that:
  • spotted by Kepler, via transit method
  • suggests a massive body in close orbit
  • Newtonian physics says "must be 317 Earth masses" and 20ls orbit radius, 45g
  • stellar forge says "that means it's a landable HMC"
  • Cobra Engine says "17Mm radius, and a max of 11g"

Landed! I use the method where you toggle FA-Off. no issues other than finding a good spot, because I dropped out at a particularly rough area.

1631393676065.jpeg

was it you who suggested, in another forum thread, that:
  • spotted by Kepler, via transit method
  • suggests a massive body in close orbit
  • Newtonian physics says "must be 317 Earth masses" and 20ls orbit radius, 45g
  • stellar forge says "that means it's a landable HMC"
  • Cobra Engine says "17Mm radius, and a max of 11g"

No, not me, that was maybe me quoting someone else but I never directly made that post. In fact I can't ever recall reading that particular post. There have been a number of posts from people quoting data from the NASA exoplanet archive in which the body is called KOI 1701 b and quoted as 2.221 earth radius which would indeed make it around it's radius in game but that data also shows an orbital period of 169 days and not 2.4 days as in game so its transit period wouldn't match the observation data!

There's actually no body in the system that is a close match for all the data from the Kepler observations, so hand placed? I don't know, they could have done a much better job if they hand placed it but there's always a possibility they got a parameter wrong when entering data, but there are simply to many KOI systems to believe they hand placed them all!

In fact you know it should be possible to work out from the data supplied in the NASA exoplanet archive roughly what the mass of the mystery transiting planet is since we know its radius, the mass of the star and its supposed orbital period of 169 days. If anyone wants to have a go the archive is here;

This planet is procedurally generated. FDev only curates systems that have been very detailly studied irl i.e. Trappist-1 and some systems in the bubble like the home systems for Powerplay and the super powers. Other than those every system is completely random based on scientific data for that region of space. So really anything on the other side of Sag A* is completely random cause it's hard af to even see what's there from Earth.

Not only planets.
Maybe I'm madman, but I could be happy without cap on gravity, exclusion zones (if you want fly into star- do it), more deadly black holes, and maybe neutron stars (but here I haven't ideas, random malunctions of any module in system/certain distance to star?)
I like that idea. For example, there could be gravitational pull towards high-G stellar objects like this one, and the closer you get, the more thrust you need to escape. The edge of the exclusion zone, instead of being a brick wall, could be a point of no return. And supercruise could be affected by gravity wells changing your trajectory, not only your speed. For a safe passage you'd have to navigate around objects instead of going in a straight line from A to B.

I like that idea. For example, there could be gravitational pull towards high-G stellar objects like this one, and the closer you get, the more thrust you need to escape. The edge of the exclusion zone, instead of being a brick wall, could be a point of no return. And supercruise could be affected by gravity wells changing your trajectory, not only your speed. For a safe passage you'd have to navigate around objects instead of going in a straight line from A to B.

So do I, but it will never happen I am afraid, to many complaints from the unprepared beginning explorers, and just non-explorer players.

Top Bottom