Allow the VR '2D screen' to be disabled?

And it's a damn shame we are even having this conversation when Fdev could implement headlook in a day. Frustrating as hell
Amen to that, rendering is currently rerouted to whatever 2D bolt-ons the Odyssey devs developed for this build, whereas the Horizons code is clearly still there that can output in 3D. All we need is a floating interface of course, so maybe more than a day although I realise it's a figure of speech, but it is something they could work on and accomplish relatively quickly, IF they gave a frig about VR. Which they don't.

Amen to that, rendering is currently rerouted to whatever 2D bolt-ons the Odyssey devs developed for this build, whereas the Horizons code is clearly still there that can output in 3D. All we need is a floating interface of course, so maybe more than a day although I realise it's a figure of speech, but it is something they could work on and accomplish relatively quickly, IF they gave a frig about VR. Which they don't.
Their lack of interest in VR has pretty much made me not interested in playing anymore. No ship interiors was another bonehead decision they made too.

Should be all you need to know
Screenshot_20210826-103928.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210826-103928.png
    Screenshot_20210826-103928.png
    605.3 KB · Views: 40
FD are apply the turd polish as we speak. Of course, it still stinks.

Whilst I too would have liked ship interiors (and if asked in 2013 at the start might have assumed some sort of ship interaction other than the cockpit 8 years later), my expectation was that VR was support then, and would still be today and indeed improved upon. But it's neither.

I have now removed ED from my SSD. Never thought it would ever come to that, but 7 updates and still no word on VR does it for me. I have been fooled by FDEV once too much and I will from now on support other games. Also, I will warn everyone I know about FDevs "business conduct" and voice my opinion loudly everywhere, because I now believe the game, and even more so the company, DESERVES TO DIE. Make way for the future. Bye.

I have now removed ED from my SSD. Never thought it would ever come to that, but 7 updates and still no word on VR does it for me. I have been fooled by FDEV once too much and I will from now on support other games. Also, I will warn everyone I know about FDevs "business conduct" and voice my opinion loudly everywhere, because I now believe the game, and even more so the company, DESERVES TO DIE. Make way for the future. Bye.
Whilst I'm sure FD give no flips about anyone removing the game now they have our money (I've removed it myself too, not playing with the new toys in grey letterbox mode, no thank you), I hope they hear and understand why VR players are so upset.

I think FD will of course carry on as a company, because they can cater for the lowest common denominator, e.g. flatscreen, and porting to consoles for even more money.

I personally always expected VR support to continue from the start of the journey I made in 2013, and develop too, but that hasn't happened.

And I wanted the journey to continue, but as I've said countless times, FD won't get any more cosmetic money out of me whilst VR is left out in the cold.

But as this long-running thread shows, VR has been left to die, not on the roadmap, never likely to be despite VR Golgot holding on to some quotes that are up for interpretation.

Last edited:
Guys, or someone who have been on Business school, can someone explain to me how a lot of people who have supported Frontier from the beginning, complaining about one of they're main games, because they have actually ignored this audience, is good for they're business?

and if you were one of the directors, VPs or anything like that from this Company, how would you act, since the people that are in charge of this le, are still ignoring this audience?

I'm kind of lost here, it just doesn't make any sense to me!

Have they ever given an explanation about why they would not remove the 2D transition, since they are able to do 3D with the camera suite, and just don't give us the option to have it in 1sp person with no transition at all?

I bought ED and did not play it until I had a VR headset. I have only EVER played it in VR. I won't buy or play Odyssey until I can play it in proper VR. I'm just one person, that's just my thing. It won't make a lick of difference to the FDev's ... but hey ... worth putting in my 2 cents.

I bought ED and did not play it until I had a VR headset. I have only EVER played it in VR. I won't buy or play Odyssey until I can play it in proper VR. I'm just one person, that's just my thing. It won't make a lick of difference to the FDev's ... but hey ... worth putting in my 2 cents.
I'm almost in the same boat, except that I've just walked away from the game until they fix what needs fixing. I haven't purchased Odyssey, and I won't until it's got VR support.

In regards to the business model, they probably did a cost benefit analysis and determined that the loss they're taking from Elite/Odyssey is worth the gains they're getting from their other franchises.

Have they ever given an explanation about why they would not remove the 2D transition, since they are able to do 3D with the camera suite, and just don't give us the option to have it in 1sp person with no transition at all?
Not directly, but mostly they have said they would want to make VR "work right, well, good" or some other term about quality.

They appear to not want to just "hack it in" they would want to fully design the way it works, rather than just chuck a system in that technically works.

They've discussed various challenges concerning EDOVR generally, but only in a broad brush sense. (Focusing on resourcing, design, & nausea concerns)

Resourcing focus:

Luke Betterton: And sure, like, that's something that we'll tackle, but for the moment, we have to focus on the actual main experience and getting that working the way that we really want it to feel. So on day one, there won't be any VR support. But we're not saying never, it's just we need to focus our efforts elsewhere right now. (source)

Design concerns:

Tim Smith: the new gameplay, mechanics and features that will be introduced with Elite Dangerous: Odyssey means that we had to re-examine if we could deliver that same experience without compromise (source)

Luke Betterton: Being able to run around on foot, though, is very much a different experience. We're still looking at the way that we would tackle that if we need to. Or if we decide that we think we can get a good way of doing it. (source)

Nausea mitigation:

Stephen Benedetti: Obviously especially with VR it's a very difficult... you have to get it really right, because people can get motion sickness and everything else, and all this other stuff. (source)

Stephen Benedetti: Nobody wants to play VR if it isn't done right, coz I mean it's not just like 'oh this isn't going to play well', it's you'll probably throw up on your lap. We don't want the bill for that, for people throwing up everywhere and having to clean stuff up [joking]. So it's very important when it comes to VR and the implementation of it that we do it right. (source)

In terms of basic removal of the 2D screen itself, they haven't discussed it. I'd imagine the short answers would be: "It wouldn't provide a good or polished result, and we don't want to release anything hacky / unprofessional". (Or at least, anything more hacky than the current hybrid system ;))

It still seems worth us pushing them to allow VR veterans some basic hacky access though, given a polished version doesn't seem to be in any way imminent...

I uninstalled Elite over this as well

No idea what some of you lot are on about. Elite, in my opinion, remains to be the best VR game that exists.
It certainly was. However, Odyssey does not support VR outside of the vanity cam, and that is a problem. Also, a lot of the terrible crap Odyssey introduced blew back into Horizons.

It certainly was. However, Odyssey does not support VR outside of the vanity cam, and that is a problem. Also, a lot of the terrible crap Odyssey introduced blew back into Horizons.
well im very much enjoying the atmospheric planets in VR which is Odyssey only

but yes, I agree about the terrible crap that blew back into horizons which is all the more reason why i think the F Dev's current priorities are correct. i.e. sort out FPS/ core game, and IF they can make it work on PS4/XBOX one, and then that's when they should readdress VR development.

well im very much enjoying the atmospheric planets in VR which is Odyssey only

but yes, I agree about the terrible crap that blew back into horizons which is all the more reason why i think the F Dev's current priorities are correct. i.e. sort out FPS/ core game, and IF they can make it work on PS4/XBOX one, and then that's when they should readdress VR development.
But that's not what they are saying, they are making it clear the 2d screen is what you get.

But that's not what they are saying, they are making it clear the 2d screen is what you get.

OP’s post is closer to their position. The last we heard was this:

They need to say, very specifically that they either mean.

There will never be any more VR development for the game.

Or

We are not currently working on VR development, but will look at it in the future 9nce we've sorted the mess out.

And if they haven't made a decision on either of those two, then they need to say.

The bottom part is pretty much what we've said. We're not saying it's never coming, just that it's not being worked on at the moment and there are no immediate plans to.

OP’s post is closer to their position. The last we heard was this:
@Zac Cocken It is precisely this kind of communication (as a side note on page 363 (!) in a forum thread) and phrasing ("pretty much what we've said") that paints a very embarassing picture of FDev. I have bought software startups made up exclusively of students who communicated more professionally and clearly, and had a more consistent and more transparent roadmap. And more importantly: they know the agile principles, and would never have released such an inconsistent, incomplete mess.

Your customers made you aware that your communication concerning VR was unintelligible. Your ambiguous statement was explicitly pointed out to you. You responded by "this is pretty much what we've said". Way to go, congratulations on the best PR joke ever. But you should have added: "...no immediate plans to. Also no long term plans to. And also no vision to. So sorry, but for the time being, Elite VR is dead."

The way this was communicated alone makes me think it is a white lie, and the reality is much closer to "There will never be any more VR development for the game, but we are not yet ready to admit it."

Or worse - and this is my current impression of FDev: "We have no long term plan, no long term vision, no big picture, no long term strategy, especially not concerning VR, so we simply don't know what we are going to do tomorrow or the day after. We cannot see any farther than our next bug, and we do not plan any further than our next shareholder payout."

No need to argue with me about this, from my point of view this was already proved multiple times. Nothing short of a working release with full VR support will change my opinion. And even then I will wait for an ObsidianAnt review before even considering a re-install.

However, by the time this happens, Star Citizen will be stable and released. With Ship Interiors, full atmospheric landings, EVA and so on. How do I know? Well, I can not only see their roadmap online, I can even see the features already in their Alpha. So in case of SC I don't have to search through 300 pages of boards to arrive at an ambiguous statement / probable lie.

Also, by the time this happens, No Mans Sky will have HOTAS and realistic Zero G mechanics. How do I know? Well, at the speed at which they release new features, they will run out of all other possible features within a few years. So in case of NMS I don't have to search through 300 pages of boards to arrive at an ambiguous statement / probable lie.

Also, by the time this happens, Starfield will be released and contain every single imaginable feature either originally or by modding (modding is already confirmed). So in case of SF I don't have to search through 300 pages of boards to arrive at an ambiguous statement / probable lie.

Also, by the time this happens, X4 Foundations will have VR support via VorpX or something similar. The fact that X4 even has to be considered a valid comparison shows how deep ED has fallen. And at this point - as a warning - let me tell you how experienced X series customers operate: they wait for 4-8 years after release and then download an illegal copy. Why? Because egosoft has had a couple of "Odysseys" of their own, and it is quite surprising that they can still find developers willing to work for them, and even more surprising, they still seem to have some money left to pay them. Which is why I no longer spend any money on egosoft, and just drop in at their boards occasionally to have pity on their victims and expose their un-professionalism for what it is. Very much like I do here.

Best regards,
a professional software engineer

Top Bottom