State of the Game

Yeah, but those are COMPLETELY different use cases.

My paternal step-grandfather, a quite non-jovial fellow, always called cool whip, "sheep dip". He also said things like pizza "looks like they scraped the top off the garbage can" and ten speed bicycles "that's just ten more things that can go wrong with them". Occasionally he would pick a fight with my grandmother about how many resealable plastic bowls she had in the cupboard, which would usually end with her saying "I'm going to the post office" as she was walking out the door and him calling out behind her "don't forget your broom!"
Apologies for multi replies (on the whisky), but also thought of :

Maybe a bit if :
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDk4UtCOQ5E

- very 70s

Last edited:
I'd venture that most americans dont know what curry is at all. it's not a widespread dish outside of areas with large immigrant populations.
like the UK, the US has a very large immigrant population, it just depends on how far back you go.
The UK has a permanent flow - which makes our culture / food interesting - the US I would have thought is similar - but obviously spread over a larger landmass.

EDIT: After all - after Pangaea, we are all immigrants of some kind or other

"I mentioned the war once but I think I got away with it."
1631652723945.png

I'd venture that most americans dont know what curry is at all. it's not a widespread dish outside of areas with large immigrant populations.
Here in little old Vermont, we're quite cosmopolitan. When I speak of "most American's" I mean "everyone outside of Vermont".

BTW, Vermont is the 2nd least populated state (at 650k) in the US with barely 75k more people than Wyoming, which has 10 times the landmass.

Last edited:
Just add some jazz flute to the mix
The rest of their album is oddly 70s - sort of Prog rock / Jazz - I think it may involve flute :)
Certainly has lyrics such as 'come to the sabbath cos satan's there', and a song about sacrifice - ah the 70s - marvellous (sadly I was a bit young, born 67), but remember a lot of it / look back on it with fondness / wonder / amazement :)

like the UK, the US has a very large immigrant population, it just depends on how far back you go.
The UK has a permanent flow - which makes our culture / food interesting - the US I would have thought is similar - but obviously spread over a larger landmass.

EDIT: After all - after Pangaea, we are all immigrants of some kind or other
there are plenty and it's a constant flow as well. but it's limited to certain localities. The ethnic food mixing tends to happen on the coastlines and even then, mostly in urban areas.

it takes longer to mix in further. and in places where there isn't a massive eating out culture (make your own food) ...that migration of foods may never happen.

The rest of their album is oddly 70s - sort of Prog rock / Jazz - I think it may involve flute :)
Certainly has lyrics such as 'come to the sabbath cos satan's there', and a song about sacrifice - ah the 70s - marvellous (sadly I was a bit young, born 67), but remember a lot of it / look back on it with fondness / wonder / amazement :)
Got to admit I’ve never heard either song.

there are plenty and it's a constant flow as well. but it's limited to certain localities. The ethnic food mixing tends to happen on the coastlines and even then, mostly in urban areas.

it takes longer to mix in further. and in places where there isn't a massive eating out culture (make your own food) ...that migration of foods may never happen.
I would have thought Mexican/Tex Mex was pretty much country wide?

yes, fair enough. In the UK, apart from the Invasion in 1066, the rest was just slow influx of people. In the 60, we had another large influx of people which Brought over another load of cultures / food etc. Personally I think it makes the UK excellent /more interesting.

My Parents have never had Chinese / Indian / Thai etc. although they are from Yorkshire :) ) and the UK has had immigrants from China and India further back than most people think 1800 -

EDIT: Speaking of which - going to an excellent Italian restaurant tomorrow 'la Storia'

Last edited:
I would have thought Mexican/Tex Mex was pretty much country wide?
not unless you count taco bell as mexican/tex mex. Which i dont think anyone seriously does.

to keep a food from adapting and changing you need a fairly large group from the country of origin that is somewhat isolated (or they're a majority). it's one thing to have a presence in a city ...it's a much different thing to be around in a smaller town with people from different backgrounds that already have their own foods and no real interest in changing.

not unless you count taco bell as mexican/tex mex. Which i dont think anyone seriously does.

to keep a food from adapting and changing you need a fairly large group from the country of origin that is somewhat isolated (or they're a majority). it's one thing to have a presence in a city ...it's a much different thing to be around in a smaller town with people from different backgrounds that already have their own foods and no real interest in changing.
surely you want food to adapt and change, otherwise we wouldn't have pizza (no tomatoes, chillis, pepper etc), and most other foodstuffs of the world ?

EDIT: apologies if I missed the point - I may have been drinking :)

Top Bottom