State of the Game

Most American's think curry is a very hot Thai dish that comes in yellow, red or green, not the real curry.
I'm not a fan of 'hot' and not sure that there is any 'real curry'.

A Birmingham Balti (as with many UK currys) are purely invented 'here', and even within India there are many different types.

My favourite Thai green curry was very watery, thin and mild. It was made and served in Thailand and eaten on a writhing barge serving as the platform for a restaurant on a river surging with wrestling violent brown waters, spitting branches and detritus downstream with vile easy contempt.

Yeah, but those are COMPLETELY different use cases.

My paternal step-grandfather, a quite non-jovial fellow, always called cool whip, "sheep dip". He also said things like pizza "looks like they scraped the top off the garbage can" and ten speed bicycles "that's just ten more things that can go wrong with them". Occasionally he would pick a fight with my grandmother about how many resealable plastic bowls she had in the cupboard, which would usually end with her saying "I'm going to the post office" as she was walking out the door and him calling out behind her "don't forget your broom!"
I'm liking the sound of your paternal step-grandfather, as your paternal step-grandmother - they sound ilke vey good sorts!

One of my maternal (step) uncles (a Canadian) introduced me to vodka martinis. We got mind soakingly drunk. His wife was furious! We laughed like silly children. Not so much the next day when we were both very sorry. I miss Keith. He was a good man. So is Leslie his wife (yes I know the spelling!).

Yes minister?
Yes-Prime-Minister-BBC-640x360.jpg

I'd venture that most americans dont know what curry is at all. it's not a widespread dish outside of areas with large immigrant populations.
Those of us that have served overseas know what it is, to our GI tract's distress...

I used to walk up a hill from Woodbridge to escape the tourist food, and eat at a fish and chips stand. There was also a pie shop.

Enough with the oceanic foodie war.

I'm not a fan of 'hot' and not sure that there is any 'real curry'.

A Birmingham Balti (as with many UK currys) are purely invented 'here', and even within India there are many different types.

My favourite Thai green curry was very watery, thin and mild. It was made and served in Thailand and eaten on a writhing barge serving as the platform for a restaurant on a river surging with wrestling violent brown waters, spitting branches and detritus downstream with vile easy contempt.
Of course there is real curry - you just have to travel to one of the 28 states/Union territories of India. My better half's Tamil Nadu recipes are far superior (and hotter) to anything you get around these parts (London)!

I was going to buy the Bell Ender edition but apparently, it sits there all day like Eeyore and goes through an existential crisis the moment you ask it to do something.

View attachment 262563

As someone who often ventures into existential debates with myself (normally just in my head, but not always), I can understand your thinking. Probably safest to leave the Ender Eeyore version alone, so it can contemplate whether it should carry on living or not...

Of course there is real curry - you just have to travel to one of the 28 states/Union territories of India. My better half's Tamil Nadu recipes are far superior (and hotter) to anything you get around these parts (London)!
It does come down to taste though. I like medium hot curries but unless I want to keep cool sweating see no point in excess heat, so I dial it down. I imagine the Indian restaurants have toned down what they sell as not to put people off too.

mmmmm - I'm hungry again. Dosa for breakfast perhaps, just to get things going (probably end up having cornflakes, or something equally boring)

Top Bottom