What can we realistically expect next

Hey everyone I wanted to talk about what our 4th quarter dlc may look like.
I am very excited about our NA pack and certainly grants us much requested animals. I find it odd that the dlc is released in October as opposed to September as I was under the impression that all dlcs are on an “every 3 month” schedule, I am hopeful and confident we get one more dlc this year in particular December.
Now we had unofficial rumors that were ultimately true in regards to North Africa and North America (at least that it’s the continent), we currently don’t have any unofficial idea what Q4 might look like.
I have heard a theory that suggests a “final farewell pack” which I hope is not the case due to my desire to keep playing the game forever.
Many people would like to finally get a European pack, I believe it’s the right route. I would put my money on an animal pack but we shall see.
Some people have suggested December is when we finally get aviaries and birds. I would love that intensely but there’s no guarantee that they will do that.
Some people have suggested that the future will not be region locked with “endangered animal pack”
Now I want this game to be continued and updated very much in the future, I personally want some strong dlcs or expansion packs in 2022 but I’m really not sure what our Q4 will be.
Regardless what do you think is the most realistic answer to our Q4 dlc will be?

It won’t be a ‘final welfare pack’ since we know that support will continue at least into 2022. There was a leak for the Africa pack but the NA pack was just speculation until the same day the announcement was made.

As for the next pack, there haven’t been any leaks but speculation is that it might be aviaries. It seems likely that it’ll be something that introduces a new mechanic, so aviaries or fully aquatic are the main predicted alternatives but, since aviaries are much more central to zoos, that’s what seems to be the most likely in most people’s opinions. It seems unlikely that a Europe pack would be the big-ticket Christmas release. I would also very much doubt that the next pack, or even the one after that would be another animal-only pack, though I think Europe might be the first pack of 2022 (which would make it a standard 4+1 pack). Alternatively, if the Christmas pack is aviaries, the first pack of 2022 could be a follow-on birds pack.

I do think flying birds are more likely now than they were in the past, and it's hard to think of another option for a "big ticket" December release that would match what came with the free update last December (diving mechanics). Some have suggested nocturnal house mechanics but I don't see how that would be a game changer, since it's already been established that primarily nocturnal animals aren't being given special treatment (aardvark, giant anteater, clouded leopard, etc.).

And since we're now getting another animal pack, other themes such as Endangered Species don't seem hugely likely either (Endangered Species would be prime real estate for an animal pack, since the theme is so vague no scenery set would really fit the bill - though I thought that about the Africa Pack, too, so who knows?).

What I like about December though is that whatever comes will be a surprise. We really have no clue.

I also think that birds are coming next. The Christmas DLC is the best time for something different, like they did with the Arctic or the Aquatic DLC. If they do it right, adding birds from all continents, that would be great. I expect at least 8 birds. Why would I want hundreds of pieces to build many different aviaries if I only have 4 birds to put in? The aviary pack can't have just 4 animals.

If Frontier needs more time to make a bird pack, then I think option B would be an endangered species animal pack. This would bring animals from different continents, including much needed animals from Australia, South America, North Africa... We can still get building pieces in the updates, but I think we won't have many more packs with full building sets.

Finally, option C would be the European DLC. It fits well the winter season, although I don't think it would be released just after North America because they are similar. I think Frontier will save the European pack for a bit later, especially if it is a standard pack with building pieces.

My money would be on birds for December - it definitely makes sense to release a 'game-changer' like that in time for Christmas to boost sales, plus presumably all that work that went into the JWE2 aviaries isn't being done in a vacuum...
My assumption would be that the free update would introduce 'covered habitats' in some form or other (whether that's part of the barrier system or entirely its own thing), which can be used to contain anything (giving them utility for people who only have the base game - use them for monkeys or tigers etc), but are required to keep flying birds. I would assume that the 'aviary' DLC would just include 4 animals, like the Aquatic Pack (or 7 if it was an animal pack - I don't see them changing up the format to give us more than they have done previously in a pack), covering as broad and eclectic a base as they can, and then we will see one or two flying birds in each subsequent DLC, exactly the same model as they used for diving animals.
What I've seen of JWE2 has made me very confident that free-flying birds are something they are able to do, though I do think it will probably be restricted (at least to start with) to larger, slower-flying birds, as I'm not sure that the quick, darting flights of small passerines would really be able to work.

I also think that an 'endangered species pack' is ideal for a last DLC pack, as it's a very easy way to theme what is essentially fan favourites that weren't covered by previous packs, so I hope we don't see that one for a long time!

I think we will get aviaries for Christmas DLC. And if this is the case I think the DLC model will be different to the actual models. 10+ birds plus scenery and for this special DLC a higher price in the end. Afterwards I Expect an european DLC (or Eurasian animal pack with 4+ exhibit from Europe and the other 3 animals for northern Asia). Afterwards biomes could be the next step for Frontier. Personally I think we can heopefully Expect DLCs until Christmas 2022. If we are lucky and the DLC are still sold well perhaps even a Bit longer.

I think we will get aviaries for Christmas DLC. And if this is the case I think the DLC model will be different to the actual models. 10+ birds plus scenery and for this special DLC a higher price in the end. Afterwards I Expect an european DLC (or Eurasian animal pack with 4+ exhibit from Europe and the other 3 animals for northern Asia). Afterwards biomes could be the next step for Frontier. Personally I think we can heopefully Expect DLCs until Christmas 2022. If we are lucky and the DLC are still sold well perhaps even a Bit longer.
I agree on the Eurasia pack, part of the point of such a pack would be that many (most) European species are found in Asia too - 4 animals from Europe and 3 from northern Asia seems… odd. I’d go with 1 or 2 endemic to Europe, 2 or 3 endemic to Asia (not just north Asia - also the Middle East / Iran / Central Asia ) and the rest (3 or 4) found in both.

I know what we can not expect: An anniversary update :p
Sorry, had to throw this in here, still bitter about the firdt anniversary. ;)

I think aviaries are kind of a save bet for decembre. To the joy of most of the community and to my pity, as I couldn't care less about aviaries, unless it holds other animals than birds, but I'm very aware that I might even be the only one here in the forum NOT excited for birds.

However, the one plus side birds would bring for me: They will prolong the lifespan of the game. It would simply not be cost effective to develop a flying mechanic and then only use it for one pack. So I'm confident support will carry on throuout the whole 2022 with additional birds in a few packs.

I know what we can not expect: An anniversary update :p.
I’m not expecting one necessarily, but last year there was this global pandemic thing that might have made them abandon plans for a 1-year anniversary release (still is, but less of an issue for work in the uk). I wouldn’t bet against anniversary goodies (though, as last year, I think it’d be silly to get cross if we didn’t get one)

Expecting anywhere from another 3 to 5 DLC - rounding it out to either 10 or 12. Hopefully we get a fourth one this year in December that introduces a big game changer like the Aquatic pack did, but if not I'm thinking we may see just three next year. I think if we do not get Avians in a pack this year, we may not get them until the very end if at all. Possibilities based on existing mechanics - for locales definitely Europe is probable, I'd be surprised if it wasn't coming, though it may not be next. Biomes could be a desert biome for sure, and possibly a forest/jungle type of pack. Maybe mountains and highlands as well?

I would be very surprised if the December dlc is not an aviary dlc. As far as the second Anniversary, I think it's pretty unanimous that last year's sucked. They did nothing but some social media posts (so nothing different than any normal week)!. Just give us something. Like one new enrichment item, or hey, the dromedary camel?! That would be a hilarious thing to do.

Aviaries are the most realistic expectation thanks to being s thing in JWE2. JWE2 does have lagoons, but this is not the type of aquarium the PZ community wants.

Realistically expecting is a personal thing imo.

• If you believe they are going to do biome packs next year, you could also assume the last DLC for 2020 will be the last unaddressed continent in DLC theme (Europe)
  • If you believe they are going with something big, aviaries will be a fair assumption.
  • But a pack with generic building pieces and random "conservation status" species could be an option as well.

Basically a lot of options could be explained as realistically.

Personally still in the middle, aviaries remains a good option and Europe DLC the same.

Why the assumption for a big-ticket Christmas release or bigger DLC?
Not saying it couldn't :D but i think some caution is also something to consider.

but I'm very aware that I might even be the only one here in the forum NOT excited for birds
Nope, you are not the only one. :D
It would be nice addition but it would heavily depend on the actual content. Imo a birds DLC (including habitat and ground birds) would work better than an Aviary DLC.

Expecting anywhere from another 3 to 5 DLC
Support, hopefully longer :D
But my expectation is somewhere in 2022. Last one in June or December and also 3 to 5 DLC. Anything more is really nice.
We don't have much comparison material with just JWE and PC :D

Well, if you use Frontier's DLC schedule for just Planet Coaster as a barometer (which is admittedly not necessarily a guarantor of anything), Planter Coaster got DLC for basically 2.5 years after release. If the same logic held for Planet Zoo, we could the final DLC come out in June or July of next year. Assuming the same rough 3-month window between packs that we've seen so far, we could potentially see another three packs or so by that end window.

Having said all that, no, it's not the greatest idea to use another game's DLC schedule for comparison. I would certainly hope, as several have suggested, that we could see it go closer to December of next year, and try to squeeze another 5 packs out or so. Given that we've seen that Frontier has frequently listened to our suggestions and (in the case of everyone's favorite Binturong) overwhelming outcry, I think we are all in agreement that we'll see a Europe DLC pack (if I had to guess, a Europe pack bundled as a standard pack, like the Africa pack, will see us getting just 5 species [whichever those may be, I leave to the other Eurocentric threads to duke it out]). Or, perhaps, a more broadly-labeled "Eurasia" pack, to maybe aim for it being an Animal Pack with 8 of them rather than a standard pack with 5, but who knows (a note on that: such a "Eurasia" pack idea would open up the inclusion of a few other endangered or critically endangered species, such as the saiga antelope or Przewalski's horse [which are technically in Europe but are more so in Asia]).

I agree with the idea of some kind of Aviary pack. I think, as many have said, it would certainly provide for constant fodder to put into updates and future packs. I think the primary problem (to me, anyway) is that there are just so many bird species, and I think unless they did have that approach of "several birds up front, with more in future packs", I don't see a scenario where they pack in 10+ bird species and still have a £7.99/$9.99/9.99€ price tag. I'd love to be wrong, but I don't see it. But, if they do take the "a bunch now, more as we keep going" approach, I think there's a better chance for it. I did the math awhile back, and the number of bird species the average zoo keeps is in the 50's, so that's probably an overly high bar to hit given how far along in the DLC schedule we are. We already have 6 bird species, so if you figure an Aviary pack with 8-10 birds and then another 2-4 packs with at least one bird species each, we could maybe see it hit the 20's, but that may be a stretch for us. Again, all just my opinion.

Whether it happens in summer or winter, though, I think we can all agree that it doesn't seem likely we see new packs beyond 2022.

I think PC and JWE are both different to Planet Zoo. JWE as a licensed product had a limited life span from the beginning. And the amount of attractions for an amusement park (is it the right English word?) are more limited than animals. Personally I am convinced that there will be support until the end of next year. But if the packs still sell well I could imagine that we could get delivered perhaps a few more packs after that. Perhaps animal only packs without a big update which could be done by a smaller group of workers.

I think PC and JWE are both different to Planet Zoo. JWE as a licensed product had a limited life span from the beginning. And the amount of attractions for an amusement park (is it the right English word?) are more limited than animals. Personally I am convinced that there will be support until the end of next year. But if the packs still sell well I could imagine that we could get delivered perhaps a few more packs after that. Perhaps animal only packs without a big update which could be done by a smaller group of workers.
I agree with this 100%. And may I add:

AFAIK Planet Zoo sold even better than Planet Coaster. Plus, Planet Coaster had competitors, while PZ has not, so it is much easier to keep the audience interested. And even the audience is in parts different. We have former Zoo Tycoon and Sims players here, that played their franchise for decades. They don't grow bored too easily, and are, in my opinion, much more willing to spend money on a game for a longer period of time.

I think it's premature to declare the end of PZ at the end of 2022, as it is premature to assume it will carry on afterwards. I bet even Frontier does not have set plans yet but will decide in roughly 6 month or so, so after they have the sales of the NA pack and the presumable bird pack.

Last edited:
I agree with this 100%. And may I add:

AFAIK Planet Zoo sold even better than Planet Coaster. Plus, Planet Coaster had competitors, while PZ has not, so it is much easier to keep the audience interested. And even the audience is in parts different. We have former Zoo Tycoon and Sims players here, that played their franchise for decades. They don't grow bored too easily, and are, in my opinion, much more willing to spend money on a game for a longer period of time.

I think it's premature to declare the end of PZ at the end of 2022, as it is premature to assume it will carry on afterwards. I bet even Frontier does not have set plans yet but will decide in roughly 6 month or so, so after they have the sales of the NA pack and the presumable bird pack.
Just chiming in, that so far every pack received more social media attention than the previous one, and that includes even the arctic pack (as usually a drop is expected after the first pack). The fact there is no competition for PZ does wonders it seems. I think the game is only getting players and doesn't really lose a meaningful amount of players as of now.

Flashy dlcs are great but the update and QoL things that come with them are what keep people playing, which I'm sure they know. Which is a huge part of why I'm so confident December will bring aviaries. And I also think they will go straight into biome packs, potentially with more than 8 animals, so that each pack can also add 1-2 new aviary birds.

Just chiming in, that so far every pack received more social media attention than the previous one, and that includes even the arctic pack (as usually a drop is expected after the first pack). The fact there is no competition for PZ does wonders it seems. I think the game is only getting players and doesn't really lose a meaningful amount of players as of now.
That's good news :) Lets hope it really translates into a longer life span.
potentially with more than 8 animals, so that each pack can also add 1-2 new aviary birds.
That would be a dream come true. I don't want to give spots of Mammals away for birds :D

If they introduce birds, could it be possible that birds might replace exhibit animals in packs? Not completely but as an alternative?

Top Bottom