*******Odyssey: Console Release ETA. *******

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
The retail opportunity for any game development company is far greater on console than it is on PC.

The new console generation is the best selling generation ever in terms of units sold over time.

The game developer who ignores gaming's biggest retail platform when their under-baked and ill-received DLC has not met it's initial sales expectations should be asking itself lots of questions, as we approach the biggest gaming retail sales period of the year, this Christmas.

Frankly, the ongoing lack of any information at all, is baffling.

And probably the 1/3 of the community who paid a higher price for the game since Steam Sales and Epic Giveaways don’t tend to be a thing on console … though I guess ED was discounted on PS Store fairly recently.

When i got ED on XB, in November 2018, i payed 20Euro for the pack containing Elite, Horizons and Commander pack - black Friday discounts
On Steam, i payed 12.5 Euro for the same packet one year later, same period.

Frankly, the ongoing lack of any information at all, is baffling.

Lack of information? Nope.
They offered all the information there is at this moment: there is no further information available and no set date for a console release

The game developer who ignores gaming's biggest retail platform

Nope. The biggest platform is the PC market - and it's not ingnored. Au contraire, it's getting prioritized.
Their PS sales were even smaller than XB sales, so that's like the 3rd market for FD.

We (consoles) never paid for EDO so we arent entitled to anything , no cobra , no paint job and unfortunately no information til Fdev thinks its time .

So my issue its not the CM's (well Sally really but thats another arguement) can only tell us what Fdev want to .
No amount of pinging will get that done any quicker , in fact it may come to the point of 🤦‍♂️"not consoles again" .

CM's are people trying to do a job where there bosses are happy to drop them in the firing line , and we need them on our side .

Is EDO a mess ? its messier than the messiet game in messiest game land
Am i happy ? no not really . (see my posts)
Are we losing console players ? yes .
Will they come back if the game is released ? dunno possibly .
Will EDO come out on console ? i am not sure
Will i buy EDO if it did ? Fdev havent sold me it yet .
Will we EDO before or around 2021 ? not a chance
Is it good enough for console now ? hahahaha
Am i still playing after 5 years ? yes
Will i continue to play ? yes

I have sort of given up on EDO after 6 months of many fixes and improvements i still see it as being.... meh ....
It would be nice for them to say No release before Christmas ( as we all know thats not going to happen any way)

I have even upgraded to series x as i believe xbox one is too old to cope .
So fly safe commanders and maybe will see you out in the black ( if on xbox as we dont have cross platform ;)).07

Nope. The biggest platform is the PC market - and it's not ingnored. Au contraire, it's getting prioritized.
Their PS sales were even smaller than XB sales, so that's like the 3rd market for FD.
It was never really a level playing field. When I had to leave macOS (which ran on a PC, though ED has never run on other PCs like the Electron, Spectrum or Amiga), I toyed with the idea of going PlayStation, boy what a mistake that would have been, deja vu all over again.

Frontier have dug themselves into such a hole that the best they can offer to console users is virtually nothing at the moment, and who knows what in the future. It doesn't inspire confidence that the only organisation that could have an idea of future plans just shrugs its corporate shoulders.

The other interesting feature of Frontier's post Odyssey actions are the never ending patches. Even Windows players don't know what's happening. An unknown number of patches to an unknown standard. No wonder quality of life features are used to sweeten the bitter tast of ..... (pick whichever word you feel most appropriate).

Frontier have dug themselves into such a hole that the best they can offer to console users is virtually nothing at the moment, and who knows what in the future. It doesn't inspire confidence that the only organisation that could have an idea of future plans just shrugs its corporate shoulders.

The other interesting feature of Frontier's post Odyssey actions are the never ending patches. Even Windows players don't know what's happening. An unknown number of patches to an unknown standard. No wonder quality of life features are used to sweeten the bitter tast of ..... (pick whichever word you feel most appropriate).

Well, i really dont want EDO on consoles in its current state.
To properly enjoy EDO, i had to replace my 2y old laptop (i7-9750h, 16gb ram, SSD, GTX1660TI) with a Ryzen9 5900HX, RTX3080, 32GB ram - this takes care of the performance aspect, but not the bugs (stuttering still happens in certain settlements) and the lighting still sux in EDO.

And my old laptop was kinda close to the level of performance offered by an XB Series X - yet it struggled to play EDO at 1080p.
I really dont want to have EDO released on consoles in this state.

So yea. I play EDO on PC... and everytime i fire Horizons on XB i find out how much i like the way it looks (general lighting and atmosphere) and how much i dont like how EDO looks on PC (very plastic at the moment, shiny at times, but still plastic)

Well, i really dont want EDO on consoles in its current state.
So consoles users who can also afford to buy a new computer to run Odyssey in Windows (along with the issues you mentioned) are covered.

Though that would seem to obsolete the console as you can play Horizons on the Windows machine as well.

Ah, of course you couldn't use your existing commander on the Windows account. I think we may have found one of the reasons Frontier isn't keen on cross save :)

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Reading this thread;

Maybe we should be counting our blessings we've dodged a bullet.....

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
Why would Frontier not allow a CM to tell us any news regarding consoles?
Hope no one thinks that I'm personally choosing not to tell.
Because don't think that, for the love of all things happy in life.

Not being funny, serious question.
I could understand it if Frontier were developing something completely new for the game and didn't want competitors gaining access to that info, but Odyssey is not new.
On foot gaming, station interiors, etc... have been around for decades.
We already put out the most up to date statement/news. There is currently no more news to share.
Not sure I've reached the expected quota of the above statement this week so there's another.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
I imagine all these console players stood in their local supermarkets "Look, I know you don't know when you'll have more toilet paper in stock, but surely you can tell me when I can buy it from you?" :)
Be fair now, it's easy for you look down from your ivory tower on console players clamouring for something, anything when you already have Odyssey.

Even if it has issues.

Plus toilet roll is probably pretty easy to produce vs Odyssey on console.

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
@sallymorganmoore might FDev consider to give us consoleplayers a goodie to keep us happy, safe and sound for alllll the extra waiting time? E.g. an unlock of the cobra IV (which we on console never had a chance to get, since it was only for pc guys (kinda unfair, as we paid the same money right?))
Or some other goodie? Some thing of emotional compensation for having to be second priority? As a gesture ?

Sorry I've only just caught up on all of your thoughts and stuff around 'emotional compensation' and other things in this thread.
Just wanted to let you know I've read them, if even knowing that helps o7 (I'm not gunna do the "When we have official news we will -" line again because you've all had your fill now).

Lack of information? Nope.
They offered all the information there is at this moment: there is no further information available and no set date for a console release

Lack of information is the same as no information.

In general (not just Elite...) Console games sales far exceeds PC games sales in terms of both volume and revenue, year on year (although the gap is getting smaller). That is what I was referring to.

Be fair now, it's easy for you look down from your ivory tower on console players clamouring for something, anything when you already have Odyssey.

Even if it has issues.

Plus toilet roll is probably pretty easy to produce vs Odyssey on console.

It's not so much looking down on console players it's looking at SOME people and thinking my god look at the state they're getting themselves into over a game.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom