*******Odyssey: Console Release ETA. *******

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Yeah, and if there are so many coders that are able of coding, shouldn't they be assigned to help fixing EDO and prepare the porting to console, instead of inventing new bug sources and dev timesinks? Any new feature, that could delay the console release should be postponed "indefinetely".

You sound exactly like one of my ex-bosses.

When we did had something that had to be dealt with and finished asap, he would go: everyone stop what your doing. we need to get this one done.
It didnt matter that out of the 7 strong team, only 2 had any competencies to do that thing. Everyone else was suppose to "help". Guess you can figure out on your own how much it helped with the said issue and also with the other issues that were postponed/halted basically for no reason.

You sound exactly like one of my ex-bosses.

When we did had something that had to be dealt with and finished asap, he would go: everyone stop what your doing. we need to get this one done.
It didnt matter that out of the 7 strong team, only 2 had any competencies to do that thing. Everyone else was suppose to "help". Guess you can figure out on your own how much it helped with the said issue and also with the other issues that were postponed/halted basically for no reason.
If so, than FDev should make things clear and transparent. But giving the console community the feeling, that the gap is increasing more and more without ANY information on consoles is a communication disaster, that will cause players to give up and leave. And this costs money, as this decreases the potential earnings of cosmetics out for EDO on console. Sorry, but many of us are about to leave for good. The clock ticks.

Not having ANY plans to deliver ANY information and hoping, that the console guys accept it, until they shall buy the stuff, is naive. Extremely naive and will not turn out good financially

Last edited:
If so, than FDev should make things clear and transparent. But giving the console community the feeling, that the gap is increasing more and more without ANY information on consoles is a communication disaster, that will cause players to give up and leave. And this costs money, as this decreases the potential earnings of cosmetics out for EDO on console. Sorry, but many of us are about to leave for good. The clock ticks.

Not having ANY plans to deliver ANY information and hoping, that the console guys accept it, until they shall buy the stuff, is naive.

they communicate a lot.
but if you dont watch their streams or read their posts... i guess you are a bit out of the loop... 🤷‍♂️

they communicate a lot.
but if you dont watch their streams or read their posts... i guess you are a bit out of the loop... 🤷‍♂️
They communicate about PC but for console they do not. I've watched for months. Nothing. Even sally keeps saying the same info, that there is none. I regularly check buurpit or obsidian ant if there is any news. No reason to watch an long stream, if I could get the relevant info (none) from a short resumee video.

So why should i watch these FDev streams? To get even more frustrated by having to watch on the fence? Yeah. Got better things to do, than watching for no info on consoles. They don't want my money!? Fine, then I'll keep it.

The last streams I watched, they praised themselves and their "progresses" on now planning new EDO features. Their progresses in fixing are not quantifyable and comparabke to a precise defined target vision of a minimum viable product, since there is none. Sorry, I'm fed up with this kind of streams. Self-praising, while so many of us are excluded is so much out-of-touch communicationswise, that I was even more frustrated and filled with negative emotions. No, FDev seems not to care anymore about the effects of their actions/statements or their lack of them.

Maybe the management wrote "EDO for consoles" on a clay pidgeon and had a clay shooting party, laughing and havin' a good time, while the apprentice does a code review, to make sure we on console get newest bugs, even if we don't get odyssey any time in this decade... Time for a nasty sacastic meme, right?!

Last edited:
they communicate a lot.
If coders are so restricted in their talents they can only work in very limited areas, I wonder what the console
(dev)s is are doing at the moment then? Twiddling their thumbs until Frontier decide they have something useful for them to do?

As it happens, my recollection is that Frontier did say that there would be additional features added before they turned back to console (maybe one of David's missives), I was surprised this was accepted so meekly at the time.

Last edited:
If coders are so restricted in their talents they can only work in very limited areas, I wonder what the console
(dev)s is are doing at the moment then? Twiddling their thumbs until Frontier decide they have something useful for them to do?

As it happens, my recollection is that Frontier did say that there would be additional features added before they turned back to console (maybe one of David's missives), I was surprised this was accepted so meekly at the time.

I guess the rendering is rendering on pc or consoles. If they work to smooth it out on PC, it will also be a big part in the consoles optimization
And it's much easier and less of a fuss to launch pc updates and fixes then doing it through the consoles approval process.

But what the other poster suggested was to put everyone, narratives, designers, ui coders - basically everyone and their pets - to work on fixing the performance issues and whatever other bugs need to be ironed out on PC. 🤷‍♂️

Long story short:
Everyone how is ABLE to, should help. The others should do their jobs, but should not distract the debugging/coding guys from the important work to get EDO to a minimum viable state, that enables for the console players to catch up.
If you keep inventing new bug sources, which the coders have also to fix you keep putting new stuff on the pile of bugs, that already prevent the console porting.

Let's make an example. The motion capturing guys etc. do Emote gestures... at some point they are done and give the stuff to the coders, who implement it, somewhere between their bugfixing activities.
Emotes do not work every time due to interference with other subfunctions - PC guys complain and fire a whole storm of crying out, since the new feature blocks old features too due to bugs: Oooooh, we have to fix those controls to execute those emote gestures first, before we can go to other stuff....
Voilà, there you have it. Another blocker added to the list of problems, that have to be fixed, before they consider starting console development. At some point you have to freeze the feature increments for a while. New features mean new bugs and new needed fixes. You can re-engage in feature increments, when you reached a semi-stable codebase version as a baseline.

Last edited:
Long story short:
Everyone how is ABLE to, should help. The others should do their jobs, but should not distract the debugging/coding guys from the important work to get EDO to a minimum viable state, that enables for the console players to catch up.
If you keep inventing new bug sources, which the coders have also to fix you keep putting new stuff on the pile of bugs, that already prevent the console porting.

Let's make an example. The motion capturing guys etc. do Emote gestures... at some point they are done and give the stuff to the coders, who implement it, somewhere between their bugfixing activities.
Emotes do not work every time due to interference with other subfunctions - PC guys complain and fire a whole storm of crying out, since the new feature blocks old features too due to bugs: Oooooh, we have to fix those controls to execute those emote gestures first, before we can go to other stuff....
Voilà, there you have it. Another blocker added to the list of problems, that have to be fixed, before they consider starting console development. At some point you have to freeze the feature increments for a while. New features mean new bugs and new needed fixes. You can re-engage in feature increments, when you reached a semi-stable codebase version as a baseline.
This exactly, the heaviest issue for me, adding new stuff will bring new bugs

They communicate about PC but for console they do not. I've watched for months. Nothing. Even sally keeps saying the same info, that there is none. I regularly check buurpit or obsidian ant if there is any news. No reason to watch an long stream, if I could get the relevant info (none) from a short resumee video.

So why should i watch these FDev streams? To get even more frustrated by having to watch on the fence? Yeah. Got better things to do, than watching for no info on consoles. They don't want my money!? Fine, then I'll keep it.

The last streams I watched, they praised themselves and their "progresses" on now planning new EDO features. Their progresses in fixing are not quantifyable and comparabke to a precise defined target vision of a minimum viable product, since there is none. Sorry, I'm fed up with this kind of streams. Self-praising, while so many of us are excluded is so much out-of-touch communicationswise, that I was even more frustrated and filled with negative emotions. No, FDev seems not to care anymore about the effects of their actions/statements or their lack of them.

Maybe the management wrote "EDO for consoles" on a clay pidgeon and had a clay shooting party, laughing and havin' a good time, while the apprentice does a code review, to make sure we on console get newest bugs, even if we don't get odyssey any time in this decade... Time for a nasty sacastic meme, right?!
One small positive we may have one of the "Masters" attention, I've also pretty much stopped watching the official streams as pretty much same thing every week as no longer feel there is much relevant to console players. Generally watch the start to see if anything relevant but generally don't get past five mins lol. Anyway have gone off topic already basically was watching D2EA livestream other night and there was a bit of back and forth involving console, he feels now should be the time for console players to be acknowledged as they have waited long enough. Went on to say that game is now in a relatively stable state (Or will be after next update) enough for console to be addressed anyways. Us peasants making a noise about console is not enough to prompt a change in tack but maybe when a "Master" starts speaking.....well you never know Frontier may receive this more favourably lol 🤔 one can hope ;)

Just in case though @sallymorganmoore ( That's my one and only ping for the week don't have the motivation I used to lol )

Just thought of something so thought I would add it on (As this will be my only ping for the week) :D , there was a mention of a possibility of an inkling of the miniscule chance that there could potentially be an official post put up for consoles as a reference point so at least there was something to refer to that didn't involve the word nothing and also wasn't a sentence in the middle of massive update/content post on pc........still hanging on ;)

Last edited:
One small positive we may have one of the "Masters" attention, I've also pretty much stopped watching the official streams as pretty much same thing every week as no longer feel there is much relevant to console players. Generally watch the start to see if anything relevant but generally don't get past five mins lol. Anyway have gone off topic already basically was watching D2EA livestream other night and there was a bit of back and forth involving console, he feels now should be the time for console players to be acknowledged as they have waited long enough. Went on to say that game is now in a relatively stable state (Or will be after next update) enough for console to be addressed anyways. Us peasants making a noise about console is not enough to prompt a change in tack but maybe when a "Master" starts speaking.....well you never know Frontier may receive this more favourably lol 🤔 one can hope ;)

Just in case though @sallymorganmoore ( That's my one and only ping for the week don't have the motivation I used to lol )
What I hope is that OA and burr Pitt will adresse some worth like D2EA.

D2EA ( @Down To Earth Astronomy ) seems to have fun in EDO.... So it seems to be far from unplayable and not joy-giving... So the measurable reasons for holding back console development are..... ??? I'd like to see D2EA as advocate on our side. Think his voice might have some more weight than ours. Also the others prominent ED streamers.

Console optimization should be far easier than doing this for pc with its multitude of possible HW/SW-Combinations. Consoles are only 6 Setups: Base-Ps4, Base-Xbox one, Ps4 Pro, Xbox One pro thingy... (don't know the exact name of the xbox refit ... I'm a base-ps4 guy), and the legacy mode of the new nextgen consoles of ps and xbox. Six fixed configs against the PC configuration zoo.... yeah... How long shall we wait? Until even the last mixed up pc-setup with strange driver installations runs well?

Last edited:
Sally won't say anything new this week. I really wonder, if she and the other CMs take our frustration to the Management or keep it away from them as a firewall...

@Sally do you take our state of frustration to the deciders? What's their facial expression, when you tell them, how many of us feel about the situation? Real question (!) and not an offence. No sarcasm, no provoking, no nasty stuff, just a real question: How does the management react, when you repeatedly tell them about the frustration of many a console player ?

Last edited:
I guess the rendering is rendering on pc or consoles. If they work to smooth it out on PC, it will also be a big part in the consoles optimization
And it's much easier and less of a fuss to launch pc updates and fixes then doing it through the consoles approval process.
This sounds like quite a lot of guessing, especially if the graphics api are different.

This sounds a bit like having your cake and eating it. Frontier can't work on the consoles at the moment becasuse it's all hands to the pump on the Windows edition, but luckily, there's so little difference, it's not really holding anything up anyway. Presumably we can look forward to an almost simutaneous release on the consoles once the Windows version is fixed :)

This sounds like quite a lot of guessing, especially if the graphics api are different.

This sounds a bit like having your cake and eating it. Frontier can't work on the consoles at the moment becasuse it's all hands to the pump on the Windows edition, but luckily, there's so little difference, it's not really holding anything up anyway. Presumably we can look forward to an almost simutaneous release on the consoles once the Windows version is fixed :)

PC and XB api's cannot be very different. No idea what api is used on PS4, but.. Cobra Engine...

I want to believe, but i don't. My best guess is half a year after the porting has beeb re-engaged.
PC and XB api's cannot be very different. No idea what api is used on PS4, but.. Cobra Engine...

The APIs of Xbox and PS4 should have already been considered while creating the new engine. What they do now is feeding the engine with the real game. But they will have to reduce the workloads for the consoles like they did in the past (e.g. fewer rocks in the rings etc.) As said, i would guess May 2022 if the would start to carry the stuff ovdr NOW. But they won't. They keep on fiddling with the pc version until the last pc guy has a working game on his mixed up PC with his messed up driver installations. All the PC guys have to made happy for a while (before they start crying for new content), before FDev would only consider doing stuff for us. We are the last ones in the row.

I want to believe, but i don't. My best guess is half a year after the porting has beeb re-engaged.

The APIs of Xbox and PS4 should have already been considered while creating the new engine. What they do now is feeding the engine with the real game. But they will have to reduce the workloads for the consoles like they did in the past (e.g. fewer rocks in the rings etc.) As said, i would guess May 2022 if the would start to carry the stuff ovdr NOW. But they won't. They keep on fiddling with the pc version until the last pc guy has a working game on his mixed up PC with his messed up driver installations. All the PC guys have to made happy for a while (before they start crying for new content), before FDev would only consider doing stuff for us. We are the last ones in the row.
I would take crossplay over odyssey.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom