I just gave Odyssey a good go, here are my thoughts...

It is the forum... I thought you would realise that by now - everything is DOOMED! :ROFLMAO:

It's more the fact that a CMs have stated, on multiple occasions, in livestreams, on podcasts, on social-media and on the forum, itself, that there are currently no plans to introduce ship interiors because FDev believe it doesn't provide a justifiable amount of new gameplay.

That being the case, it's probably not very useful to expect it any time soon.

But, y'know, if dismissing something FDev have said, very clearly, as "DOOM" helps you sleep at night, go for it. (y)

It's more the fact that a CMs have stated, on multiple occasions, in livestreams, on podcasts, on social-media and on the forum, itself, that there are currently no plans to introduce ship interiors because FDev believe it doesn't provide a justifiable amount of new gameplay.

But, y'know, if dismissing something FDev have said, very clearly, as "DOOM" helps you sleep at night, go for it. (y)
It works wonders, thanks for your kind consideration :love:

It's probably more to do with the amount of work it may take than anything else. They said the same thing about Spacelegs and here we are. Interiors etc.. will come, and may be relatively sooner rather than later once they can nail Odyssey performance, and can begin to really concentrate on iterating on it.

Been playing EDO (in VR) the last couple of days, after a good long break. I still can't get decent performance unless I lower resolution down to "nothing" and try to ignore getting somewhere between 8-90 fps, often with 8 fps when you need 90, like in a dogfight with a couple of gankers in open. That said, if I set all setting to low, the resolution to 60% in Steam VR and AMD FSR in EDO to "Performance" I rarely drop below 40 fps (and get resolution like oldschool VGA). If I go Ultra on everything the game looks awesome after the latest updates, but fps drops to ~20. So who knows? Maybe Fdev can pull a "NMS" in the long run, but we're not there yet. And honestly, I still think I was sold a pig in a poke. Not OK. I'll nag about that for quite a while.

It's probably more to do with the amount of work it may take than anything else. They said the same thing about Spacelegs and here we are. Interiors etc.. will come, and may be relatively sooner rather than later once they can nail Odyssey performance, and can begin to really concentrate on iterating on it.

That's probably correct but it's not the reason that's been stated by FDev.
When we're dismissing things that FDev have said as "DOOM!" and then, instead, form opinions based on what we hope might happen at some point in the future, that's a bit silly.

Personally, there's not really much I dislike about the content of EDO (although, obviously, I'm not thrilled about the bugs and performance issues it's created) but I'm just a bit disappointed that it's all so "ignorable".

Again, personally, I think it might've been a good idea if FDev had incorporated more "low level" activities into EDO - things like, perhaps, being able to land at a surface outpost, go inside a building and activate repair or refuelling drones, find stuffz or lower a gate so you could get your SRV inside to collect something.
Currently, it seems like almost all the new features of EDO are related to pew-pew and I think it'd become more integral to the game if FDev had taken the time to find ways to incorporate legs into everything we do in ED.

I gotta redact some stuff from the OP, and that is that you can make more money from exploration than mining, that turns out not to be true. I am still struggling with the new UI
But as one poster said, It's up to me to learn the new ways.
Elite still feels good to play .. graphics are better (not sure what the new Min/Recommended Spec's are) But I am enjoying the game. Although I am still to land on an atmospheric planet or do any walkies except a little jot around a station, which, while interesting to see, seemed pointless.

Now we are getting more Multi-crew (can't not think of "Dallas ... Multi-pass") Mega-ship interiors, oh and Emotes! .. It still seems that Frontier are focusing on the wrong things. This isn't a great multiplayer game, it never has been .. with instancing problems and the like. But they seem to keep hitting that server with the Hamster mallet, in the hopes it will become one. good luck to them .. I truley hope they hit their target at some-point, and everything falls into place.

But for me, This should be a Co-Op game at best. JMO

Besides the performance issues and bugs, I've been enjoying Odyssey whenever I play it. I'm looking forward to spend more time doing on-foot things after Frontier adds more optimizations.

Some things I am on the fence about, the menu changes, Is it me, or is it more cumbersome than before? It seems harder to find things ..maybe that is just something to get used to.
I think I'm still getting used to the new menus, but the new system and galaxy map menus feel less easier to navigate through with a controller. In my experience, some of the contextual information that appears in Horizons requires more button presses to display in Odyssey (e.g. viewing a planet's details in the system map)

The new outfitting UI takes less time to scroll through since modules are categorized, which is nice when I don't have to scroll past 100+ modules to store the modules on my ship.

I know the whole "being mad about EDO" thing is getting a bit old now but the thing I find most frustrating about it is simply that it doesn't really incorporate much that appeals to me.

It's kind of ironic because we're told that ship interiors isn't happening because there's little new gameplay linked to it but, for me, exactly the same thing applies to EDO.
The station interiors are kind of cool but I'm not especially interested in the missions or CZs, which also means there's no compelling reason to bother with the engineering either.

It's also doubly ironic because I'm actually okay with that.
I do value the added immersion of being able to wander around stations and see other (vaguely) humanoid lifeforms in the ED universe.
That added immersion, alone, is enough to make EDO worthwhile for me.
And yet it isn't enough, apparently, to compel FDev to develop ship interiors.
Argh! Why do people keep going on about ship interiors. What we need is gameplay - a story that gives you a reason to play, not dolls to dress up and dolls houses to put them in.

For the millionth time, that was just a one-off statement of personal preference by one community manager. It's 100% this why studios don't engage with their audience. Every fart is elevated to gospel status by obsessed nerds. :/

See, I dunno if this stuff gets misrepresented accidentally or whether some people are willfully attempting to "white knight" for FDev but that simply IS NOT TRUE.

On the Lave Radio podcast, Arthur explained, at length, how FDev looked at a variety of possible expansions and concluded that ship interiors didn't provide sufficient gameplay.

When a public-facing representative from FDev talks about what FDev are doing, and what decisions FDev have made, and the reasons why FDev made those decisions it's a statement that any rational person should accept unless they have evidence to the contrary.

Is there evidence to the contrary?

So, on the one hand you've got an FDev employee saying "I can tell you, for certain, that there are currently no plans to implement ship interiors".
On the other hand you've got a bunch of rando's on a forum saying "but... but... but... they still might, eventually"

One of these statements is almost certainly more trustworthy than the other.

What we need is gameplay - a story that gives you a reason to play

What is the "story that gives you a reason to play" related to running around shooting at other people?

I guess it's kind of fun but it's a bit silly to try and suggest it's some kind of compelling activity.
So, if we're going with fun being sufficient reason to implement something, bring on the dollies and the doll houses. 🤷‍♂️

So, on the one hand you've got an FDev employee saying "I can tell you, for certain, that there are currently no plans to implement ship interiors".
On the other hand you've got a bunch of rando's on a forum saying "but... but... but... they still might, eventually"
It is this little word "currently" in the first statement that makes the second statement entirely valid. I firmly believe that ship interiors are on the agenda. Not now, not while they're still ironing out the foundations of the on foot gameplay, not until all that is ready to expand on it.

I think ship interiors will be their own paid expansion and that it'll be at least 2023 until we officially start hearing about them. It's no small feat to tackle, and initially we'll probably only be able to get up, move around in our ship and EVA when the ship is not moving. Moving inside a moving ship is an entirely different beast to tackle, Star Citizen still struggles with vehicles within vehicles and people within vehicles to this day. ED definitely has no programming whatsoever that connects a player/NPC to something that moves. You can easily test that by jumping onto a skimmer in a settlement. You will slide off and fall, as soon as the thing moves again, same with ships.

The technical challenge is very very different from mount systems in other MMOs. Player and mount essentially become one object moving in the world, fused together, relatively easy. The same happens in ED really, when you are glued to your ship or SRV seat. That is also probably one reason why we got the transitions between ship/SRV/on foot that we've got.

It seems harder to find things ..maybe that is just something to get used to.
Having spent years with ED on the PC I've always thought the menu changes in past iterations were constructed to make the game more "console friendly". And yes; initially I thought I didn't like them but would get used to them.

Now that I'm replaying the game on the PS4 I've pretty much convinced myself of that whole "console friendly" thing. It works well.

Nice thread starter OP. Fly safe and o7!

I think it is relevant for two reasons - a) it covers their areas of interest and b) it presages the changes people will see when Horizons has the relevant Oddity features "rolled-in".
Agreed. Nice one OP.

Didn't say that. At all. What I did say is that you shouldnt you take every blurb from a community manager as Gospel from the Mighty Braben. They said multiple times this makes it difficult to have a chat with people, but sure. Especially when you the summarize this "extensive" explanation into one salty sentence. There are no plans for it, as the official statement said, that's another matter.

Then again, you misrepresented what I said too, so maybe that's just how you function. :)

Deleted member 182079

D
It is this little word "currently" in the first statement that makes the second statement entirely valid.
It does, but it's corporate speak and probably best to ignore it and look at track records and current implementations instead to gauge how likely a certain feature may be.

Putting in ship interiors would require some heightened attention to detail and design coherence, and both are absent from EDO. They couldn't even be bothered to adjust the Cutter's stairs, or increase the resolution of stuff like ship decals which are a lot more visible when on foot now.

Though I find the whole conversation around 'lack of gameplay' w.r.t. interiors amusing when we're made to jog along the entirety of a Corvette across the landing pad to reach the concourse, without the ability to skip that... because the only thing it adds to is immersion, I wouldn't call that gameplay.
I firmly believe that ship interiors are on the agenda. Not now, not while they're still ironing out the foundations of the on foot gameplay, not until all that is ready to expand on it.

I think ship interiors will be their own paid expansion and that it'll be at least 2023 until we officially start hearing about them. It's no small feat to tackle, and initially we'll probably only be able to get up, move around in our ship and EVA when the ship is not moving. Moving inside a moving ship is an entirely different beast to tackle, Star Citizen still struggles with vehicles within vehicles and people within vehicles to this day. ED definitely has no programming whatsoever that connects a player/NPC to something that moves. You can easily test that by jumping onto a skimmer in a settlement. You will slide off and fall, as soon as the thing moves again, same with ships.
I firmly believe we'll never get interiors, and the next paid for DLC - if there ever will be one - may be base building instead. Lots of Arx potential and they could build based on settlement technology. It probably won't be as advanced as in other games but that's Elite for you.

I firmly believe we'll never get interiors, and the next paid for DLC - if there ever will be one - may be base building instead.
Along the same lines of ship interiors... The very same CMs have uttered that base building is not being considered.

So, I'd hazard a guess that means about as much as 'currently no ship interiors' too.

"Currently no..." is a way to say "never say never"
Plans can change.

Ship interiors can be rather easy to implement if they resume only to the cockpit and living quarters and completely ignore the actual layout of core and optional internals in the ship (no visiting the shield gen, pp, pd, cargo racks, fuel scoop or afmu etc)

Assuming they will take into consideration the Life Support Size for ships (unlikely tho) they can implement several types of living quarters based on Ship/LS size.
Pretty much like we have only several types of concourse and only a relatively small number settlement building types

Deleted member 182079

D
Along the same lines of ship interiors... The very same CMs have uttered that base building is not being considered.

So, I'd hazard a guess that means about as much as 'currently no ship interiors' too.
Oh, did they? When was that as I missed it (obviously)?

So... I guess we'll get... uhm.. I'm actually out of ideas what Frontier would realistically come up with. Maybe opening up further the galaxy in terms of landable planets? Not sure I'd pay for incremental fleshing out of existing content (unless they come with brand new mechanics/gameplay loops, content) unless it's cheap (~10-15 Euros maybe).

Top Bottom