Has anyone found any Settlement Defence Plans since update 6?

secport.jpg

Just found this today :)

They are out there yes, but the drop rate is abysmal. In 5 months I got 8 and asked in the odyssey material exchange thread
Got the rest in one hour! :D (Thanks MV Banks!)
When RNG is not on your side you are screwed....

FD should remove the RNG for mats and the junk mats all together. Who look in those boxes around settlement anymore? Useless junk.
Unlock mats should always appear as mission reward in quantity up to 5.

Last edited:
....... Who look in those boxes around settlement anymore? Useless junk.
Unlock mats should always appear as mission reward in quantity up to 5.
I tend to ignore most of the keypad Containers & Lockers now. Apart from the one's in the Power Buildings, the rest are mainly holders of junk.
I concentrate on the unlocked one's for the goodies, now my inventory is near to capacity.
No Smear Campaign's though & only 3 SDP's :(......but picking up the ocassional OP's so maybe onto a Player trade soon:D.......is that really Frontier's intention for this game mechanic?? Set up your own trading, instead of using the Barkeep to trade data???🤷‍♂️

So once more then, the argument distills down to “Fdev should just give us every material we need up front, and get rid of everything else because having to look for/earn them is boooring.”

So what’s the point then? Why not just give everyone G5 fully engineered everything up front? Ah shag it, instead of “blaze your own trail and find your way in an entire galaxy” it should be “pretend you’re a trust fund kid and never have to work for anything, here’s everything you need and a simple roadmap to get everything else you may or may not want within a week!”

So once more then, the argument distills down to “Fdev should just give us every material we need up front, and get rid of everything else because having to look for/earn them is boooring.”

So what’s the point then? Why not just give everyone G5 fully engineered everything up front? Ah shag it, instead of “blaze your own trail and find your way in an entire galaxy” it should be “pretend you’re a trust fund kid and never have to work for anything, here’s everything you need and a simple roadmap to get everything else you may or may not want within a week!”
Agreed. I did the full Odyssey grind with one of my accounts, just to see how long it took. With the others, I am not fretting about it. The thing is...remember all the other stuff you used to do when it was still Horizons? You can still do those things too. Dip into the Oddy grind now and again, but don't forget it's only one aspect of the game.
(two penn'orth complete)

Last edited:
People complaining about the Odyssey grind... I genuinely don't get it. Ship stuff. THAT is a grind. Having to resort to logging in and out of HGEs over and over and over again because there's no other reliable way to gather various rare materials, having to find places like the crystalline shard forests, milking the Jameson Crash Site ad nauseum...

The only item I found difficult to get in Odyssey has been SDPs. That's it. And frankly you don't need them unless you want headshot damage, because everything Wellington Beck can do, other engineers can do as well, he's only truly useful as a pathway to Uma Lazlo (who again, only gives headshot damage if that's your thing.) But even still they spawn, they just don't plop 15 of them on you in an hour because you decided every engineer must be unlocked immediately.

Everything else I was able to scoop up easily enough in my travels, via mission reward and scavenging. Pretty much everything in the on-foot stuff makes FAR more sense than the random mishmash of engineering materials for the ship side of things. Military bases have military-type stuff, so go there for suit/weapon schematics, weapon components, and military-type data (including yes, SDPs as shown in multiple screenshots above!). Short on platings or chemicals? Go to refinery or chemical sites. Check missions that offer them as rewards, knowing that system's economy will effect how they spawn. Therefore I firmly believe the following statement to be true:

The grind in Odyssey is completely and utterly self-inflicted. You don't need fully engineered G5 gear.

Modded out G5 gear is nice to have, but not a must-have like the ship side of things since (as of yet) on foot NPCs aren't engineered. Unengineered G3 gear is MORE than enough to handle 95% of situations, which can be found directly from Frontline if you search around a bit, or use the sharing is caring thread. (and often times with a useful mod already installed) I'd argue that the only mods that are remotely necessary would be audio masking and noise suppression for weapons, and night vision for suits (none of which you need SDPs to access!) but even so I was able to bang out a dozen covert heists using only my electrical charger in zappy mode and I'm FAR from decent in FPS games.

The grind in Odyssey is completely and utterly self-inflicted. You don't need fully engineered G5 gear.
I agree, but even if you can ignore these mechanics, it doesn't mean it isn't poor design. I'd say it still needs fixing, but given Horizons engineering I doubt anything signifant will ever happen (other than amending the inventory system and being able to trade data too).

For the actual engineering you can pick up everything from missions. SDPs are still too rare, but everything else is fine. The problem is the grinding - people seem to sit in one place - repeating the same thing over and over and wondering why they don't see everything. Go figure - it's designed for people who actually want to play the game. Weird eh ;)

For the actual engineering you can pick up everything from missions. SDPs are still too rare, but everything else is fine. The problem is the grinding - people seem to sit in one place - repeating the same thing over and over and wondering why they don't see everything. Go figure - it's designed for people who actually want to play the game. Weird eh ;)
I think that we can all, to a greater or lesser degree, get obsessed over parts of the game. For about the first six weeks playing Odyssey, I was obsessed with finding my holy grail, an Executioner with audio masking, as I thought that I would never get Fowler and Bond unlocked. Found the Executioner, and very quickly (seemed like it, but is was probably about 2 weeks) unlocked the engineers.

I spend my time now and previously, taking missions to gather mats and loot sites in about a 25ly radius, often as part of a team. I try to avoid the logging in/out. Got one suit of each type to G5 and couple of Maverick suits as I had the materials. Stopped at 4 weapons to G5 and probable order of most used, C-44 (taking out non guards), Tormentor, Executioner and Oppressor. Not looking to have more, so what materials I obtain gets donated or traded. I will always pick up engineering unlock materials to pass on.

Steve 07.

Spent the entire day scanning every landable planet in mutiple systems looking for irregular markers 1,2 and 3. Tried loads of different system states.

Total number of any found - 0

Ridiculous.

We are different people with different attitudes. I enjoy to play the game in a relaxed way - but for me relaxed way means to have (almost) everything - ships, modules, weapons, suits, on-foot weapons, all the engineers, and full storage of mats/data! To be ready to engineer next something immediately.
When I reach this state, then I can play what I want, what I like to play. Not dependent from finding missions or RNG, able to change activities to not be bored, and able to avoid frustration caused by RNG.
But to reach this state, I will accept some grind and will not complain about it, because it's my choice. What I still can complain about, is the lack of choice (as cmdr Frop wrote "poor design"). But to be honest, I have to say we have 4 sources to find SDP - IM, Security Data Ports, Mission targets (digital espionage missions) and Odyssey materials exchange thread. So, in case of SDP, it's not lack of options. But of course, when player is impatient (as I am) then he/she will use re-entering the game at IM with data port, 100 times, and it's bad gameplay.
Very strong and very good part of ED is possibility to make different ship builds, different on-foot loadouts, for different playing styles. Sometimes I will adapt one loadout for my current style, but next time I will try to adapt my style to another loadout. This is richness. But to use this richness, you really need engineering. You can't use energy-hungry weapons without
engineered power plant and power distributor, for example.
And to answer to cmdr ubermick - I'm aware that you don't really need full G5 engineered everything, but if you want to use maximum what game has to offer, then, sooner or later,
you'll need G5 equipment. And then, when you have everything, you have the freedom to use G1, G3 or G5, and to "Blaze your own trail".

Spent the entire day scanning every landable planet in mutiple systems looking for irregular markers 1,2 and 3. Tried loads of different system states.

Total number of any found - 0

Ridiculous.
System states don't matter imo. Your best bet is to find systems with lots of landable planets. Too close to the sun also seems to generate crap signal sources or worse, generate a good one you can't use anyway because it's too hot.

Top Bottom