Elite Dangerous: Horizons PC & Console Update Notes

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
Greetings Commanders.

Well here we are. If you've read this as part of the Odyssey Update 8 notes, then forgive me I'm going to repeat myself on the intro again just for the sake of keeping things nice and tidy o7

An update for Elite Dangerous Horizons PC & Console is scheduled for today,
HOWEVER I do need to bring the news of a slight change to the expected deployment schedule.
(Now listen...You all warned me last night, right? I'm here to jinx us...clearly.)
I'll be open with you with what's happened:
  • Last night the team discovered one final, nasty issue with the way languages were suddenly displaying (#gamedev). This needed an immediate fix.
  • When you fix something, you must always run sanity checks against the build set to deploy. These checks will need to happen this morning due to the timing of the fix last night.
To that end, we now need to formulate a slightly new deployment schedule for today which remains unconfirmed in terms of time specifics right now.
We're looking at releasing the updates 'This Afternoon'. Time slots to follow.

Regardless of all that behind the curtain as we crack on...Here are the Update Notes for Elite Dangerous: Horizons for PC and Console players.

Elite Dangerous Horizons Update Notes:
This update mostly contains maintenance work, but also fixes below:
  • A rare hang has been addressed which Commanders could encounter when returning to the main menu from a game session.
    • This isn't the 'black screen hang' issue entirely, but could help in relation to that. Further investigations ongoing.
  • Thargoid scavengers should no longer clip through the ground.
  • Improvements made to some clipping/misaligned geometry for:
    • Floating pipes at a planetary ports.
    • Tunnels at Installations.
    • Towers at some Horizons planetary settlements.
    • Thargoid Imprint doors.
  • Improvements have been made to the rendering of text in the Commander Stats pages of the Codex.
  • An issue has been fixed with store preview items which may have had empty fields previously.
  • The mouse flight control widget is now correctly hidden when using the Camera Suite.

See you in the black of the Updates, Commanders o7

So... again no content and no QoL-Changes...

I really hope in the next console fixes the FPS drops in crowded Systems (yes, rarely these days... but still relevant in CG Systems) in instances with random players from distant global regions on ps4.
@sallymorganmoore , this is really an issue. The game stutters. The netcode is a problem. Doesn't happen so much, if you are in instances with only friend from same global region. It was not as bad as now, when we were in the beyond-series updates, long ago...

Also I hope for some QoL-Upgrades: E.g. an UI Button do directly fill the carrier's fuel depot from carrier storage, without always having to switch to a T9 or something to transfer fuel from carrier storage to ship and from ship to carrier fuel depot....

Another example of annoying bugs: the buggy reticule on gimballed weapons in their resting positio n if you spent a while fighting (some of the target reticules change color, get crossed out, suddenly get rings... etc, even if the weapons are loaded and functioning). Drives me kinda mad visually. Many many many times reported with many confirmations in issuetracker but never got confirmed by FDev and timed out with 8... 9 confirmations. Kinda frustrating. The random effects can be randomized by changing firegroups. The bug occours after using the weapons for a while. Such visual bugs do not fit to a big super combat ship like the corvette.

All the mentioned stuff above seems more relevant, than the Bugs fixed in the patchnotes (e.g. some pipes on some random ground station. Never noticed it). Don 't get me wrong. I appreciate EVERY fix. But some annoying things, esp. the framedrops on ps4 or the reticule thing should really be targeted. Somehow i feel fixing EDH is boiling on lowest possible flame...

Somehow I feel the main reason for this patch is to deliver new paintjob, we could buy.

Last edited:
Mouse on console...... 🤔.......😉

Only managed three swigs of coffee before I gleaned it lol, I am feeling a little underwhelmed but at least its something for console so can't be too fussy so yeah uhm cheers Frontier.
Realistically vast majority of effort was gonna be focused on Odyssey and new features lets hope this FPS stuff is fixed and peeps are all where they want to be frame rate wise, then we may see a slightly larger update post from Sally next time.

I'm behaving myself this does come across as positive right 😬 at least the console guys and gals were allowed to stretch their legs :D

So... again no content and no QoL-Changes...

I really hope in the next console fixes the FPS drops in crowded Systems (yes, rarely these days... but still relevant in CG Systems) in instances with random players from distant global regions on ps4.
@Sally, this is really an issue. The game stutters. The netcode is a problem. Doesn't happen so much, if you are in instances with only friend from same global region. It was not as bad as now, when we were in the beyond-series updates, long ago...

Also I hope for some QoL-Upgrades: E.g. an UI Button do directly fill the carrier's fuel depot from carrier storage, without always having to switch to a T9 or something to transfer fuel from carrier storage to ship and from ship to carrier fuel depot....

Also the buggy reticule on gimballed weapons in their resting positio n if you spent a while fighting (some of the target reticules change color, get crossed out, suddenly get rings... etc, even if the weapons are loaded and functioning). Drives me kinda mad visually. Many many many times reported with many confirmations in issuetracker but never got confirmed by FDev and timed out with 8... 9 confirmations. Kinda frustrating. The random effects can be randomized by changing firegroups. The bug occours after using the weapons for a while. Such visual bugs do not fit to a big super combat ship like the corvette.

All the mentioned stuff above seems more relevant, than the Bugs fixed in the patchnotes (e.g. some pipes on some random ground station. Never noticed it). Don 't get me wrong. I appreciate EVERY fix. But some annoying things, esp. the framedrops on ps4 should really be targeted. Somehow i feel fixing EDH is boiling on lowest possible flame...

Somehow I feel the main reason for this patch is to deliver new paintjob, we could buy.
Yeah agree with you mate anything and I mean ANYTHING is appreciated but this feels very "subdued" for Horizons and console platforms, has left me wandering how many of those fixes/qol's were actually on console was anticipating a little more. As with yourself have not noticed many of these issues on console bar maybe the scavengers clipping into the ground when I last went to a site but 🤔 don't really do Thargoid stuff. When I was last on my main issue was blue tunnels when jumping away from carrier's drove me nut's gave up in the end, and yeah that reticle thing very annoying happens within FSS as well.

Was gonna put more but not sure there's a point, gonna go and buy some Jacko Lanterns for my cave that'll keep me positive :D

yeah that reticle thing very annoying happens within FSS as well.
Confirmed for FSS. Really annoys me visually. I reported it a dozen times... but never got enough confirmations to breach the magic threshold.... all tickets accumulated would have reached that level with ease for sure... but the issue tracker kills the ticket by time.

@Sally (no ping, but you are reading here anyway, i would guess) can you take these kind of mentioned bugs to the devs for us?

Last edited:
Greetings Commanders.

Well here we are. If you've read this as part of the Odyssey Update 8 notes, then forgive me I'm going to repeat myself on the intro again just for the sake of keeping things nice and tidy o7

An update for Elite Dangerous Horizons PC & Console is scheduled for today,
HOWEVER I do need to bring the news of a slight change to the expected deployment schedule.
(Now listen...You all warned me last night, right? I'm here to jinx us...clearly.)
I'll be open with you with what's happened:
  • Last night the team discovered one final, nasty issue with the way languages were suddenly displaying (#gamedev). This needed an immediate fix.
  • When you fix something, you must always run sanity checks against the build set to deploy. These checks will need to happen this morning due to the timing of the fix last night.
To that end, we now need to formulate a slightly new deployment schedule for today which remains unconfirmed in terms of time specifics right now.
We're looking at releasing the updates 'This Afternoon'. Time slots to follow.

Regardless of all that behind the curtain as we crack on...Here are the Update Notes for Elite Dangerous: Horizons for PC and Console players.

Elite Dangerous Horizons Update Notes:
This update mostly contains maintenance work, but also fixes below:
  • A rare hang has been addressed which Commanders could encounter when returning to the main menu from a game session.
    • This isn't the 'black screen hang' issue entirely, but could help in relation to that. Further investigations ongoing.
  • Thargoid scavengers should no longer clip through the ground.
  • Improvements made to some clipping/misaligned geometry for:
    • Floating pipes at a planetary ports.
    • Tunnels at Installations.
    • Towers at some Horizons planetary settlements.
    • Thargoid Imprint doors.
  • Improvements have been made to the rendering of text in the Commander Stats pages of the Codex.
  • An issue has been fixed with store preview items which may have had empty fields previously.
  • The mouse flight control widget is now correctly hidden when using the Camera Suite.

See you in the black of the Updates, Commanders o7
Well...
... is this all???
Hibernation continues...

Somehow i really feel sad, since Sally's wake up call in big violet letters on the pre-announcement thread raised expectations... and now.... nkthing of real relevance. Really sad situation.

But the PC guys had their chance to make fun of us, that we now also get stuff... Hey Console players (big violet letters !!!)... here is your cookie package... alright, it's not a bunch of cookies, it's just one... okay...it's not a whole cookie.... okay, not a half... in fact here are some crumbs, that remained from baking EDO.

Somehow i feel the situation underwhelming and making be even more frustrated.

Somehow i really feel sad, since Sally's wake up call in big violet letters on the pre-announcement thread raised expectations... and now.... nkthing of real relevance. Really sad situation.

But the PC guys had their chance to make fun of us, that we now also get stuff... Hey Console players (big violet letters !!!)... here is your cookie package... alright, it's not a bunch of cookies, it's just one... okay...it's not a whole cookie.... okay, not a half... in fact here are some crumbs, that remained from baking EDO.

Somehow i feel the situation underwhelming and making be even more frustrated.
Totally, feel a bit lead onto believe there would be something more uhm........well just more

Still trying to be positive but Fdev are making it quite the challenge :D

Top Bottom