So, frame-rates since the patch, how are yours?

It's a pity because some of the scenery actually looked quite atmospheric, so sure, great for screenshots. But when things start to move... oof. And I haven't even mentioned the lighting, shadows, rock scatter disappearing/reappearing at short distance, plant textures changing (some LoD transition presumably), losing the texture detail of the cockpit (even a relog didn't fix that, eventually it worked again) etc. etc.

So much more work to do, it's neverending.
Yeah, the LOD changes one or two updates back have been a bit annoying if you're paying attention to it. In particular the ridicilously low draw distances for some shadows always put me off.

Deleted member 182079

D
Yeah, the LOD changes one or two updates back have been a bit annoying if you're paying attention to it. In particular the ridicilously low draw distances for some shadows always put me off.
Since U8 landed I could swear some of those LoD draw distances and LoD in general actually have been pared down - would certainly explain some of the performance gains, though I'm wondering if it's my imagination and/or whether others have noticed this also. Playing on maxed out settings so it's not caused by those.

Since U8 landed I could swear some of those LoD draw distances and LoD in general actually have been pared down - would certainly explain some of the performance gains, though I'm wondering if it's my imagination and/or whether others have noticed this also. Playing on maxed out settings so it's not caused by those.
It's really hard to tell since there are so much (minute) changes every update. In my experience Update 8 has improved the terrain again when approaching the average planet, but maybe that's just RNG since I'm in a lot of different systems nowadays. I'm quite sure the (undocumented) LOD downgrades I noticed were introduced in Update 6 or perhaps 7.

Last edited:
I have different results, I haven't managed to bottom out a consistent pattern of what causes it.

In space fine obviously
In station fine
In station on foot, gpu gets hit but fps 60 solid and smooth
Settlement in day non atmosphere fine
Settlement in night poor drops own to 35 to 43
Settlement in day is hit and miss, sometime it struggles
Pulling away from settlements seems to be an issue, fps drops

I do have one major stutter, it happens everytime I enter a station. I come through the rack into station. And bang, a deep 2 or 3 stutter happens.

Stutter happens regardless of flying straight or rotating the ships clockwise or anti clockwise.

Butter smooth until the mega stutter entering the station. Once inside the station all smooth again, its just the entrance.

I have to say, when odyssey runs smooth its beautiful

Last edited:
"Update 9 will see further improvement with optimisation already well underway for character animation, mid-far distance planet rendering, lighting, scatter rocks, object physics..."
Didn't they say the same thing generally about Update 8, only for them to quietly backpedal on that only days before U8 released?

I've grown incredibly skeptical about what FDev claims each Update will supposedly do.

Didn't they say the same thing generally about Update 8, only for them to quietly backpedal on that only days before U8 released?
They backpedaled on the "significant" improvements (and rightly so, they should never have said that word in the first place). However, there were improvements where FDev said there would be, just not necessarily significant.

Now, they're saying only what they're working on, and with what goal ("further" improvements, which is a world of difference from "significant"). So they will be focusing on those areas for update 9, but have learned to keep out any quantitative comments.

Thus, you being skeptical of there being any significant improvements is both natural and right. Being skeptical of fdev focusing on those areas is neither natural nor right.

That said, there definitely have been significant improvements, just not everywhere, and not for everybody.

My FPS has been similar in non settlement areas and worse within settlements to the point of hardly being able to play anything in a settlement. Did a series of tests and here's my results:

Dropping into a Settlement 50-60 FPS
Once landed within Settlements - 40-45 FPS with frequent stuttering drops to 15-20 fps.
Leaving Settlements within 100KM - 55-65 FPS
100KM or more from Settlements - 110 - 130 FPS
Fly Just under 90KM towards settlements - 55 - 65 FPS
Planet surfaces SRV - 85 - 100 FPS
Planet surfaces Foot - 110 - 130 FPS

So sadly Odyssey settlements went from playable but low FPS to now mostly unplayable with more stuttering than ever. Bummer.

Specs:

I7 6700k
RTX 2060
16 gigs 3200 Ram
Sata SSD

My FPS has been similar in non settlement areas and worse within settlements to the point of hardly being able to play anything in a settlement.
Did these happen to be Extraction or Agricultural settlements? They've been the biggest issue for me since Update 7, but Update 8 got rid of most of the settlement stutters for me. It's just that some settlement layouts seem to have more issues than the others.

I've grown incredibly skeptical about what FDev claims each Update will supposedly do.

The patch notes dont suggest they backpeddled. Obviously mileage varied re the benefits.

The team have been working hard on optimisation as part of this update 8 delivery, with extensive work carried out on Odyssey’s light and shadows, optimisation of glass, skin and particles, along with render layer optimisations and further improvements to the Navmesh.

These have delivered significant performance improvements to the on-foot experience during internal tests. We ARE continuing to investigate where further optimisation can be made and will continue to take feedback on player experiences on case by case basis.

FPS is the same. The hangs I experience seems to have lessened a bit, but my GEForce GTX 1070 ti is still running 100%. Granted I never really checked before getting hangs somewhere around update 5 or 6.
The hangs are entire system hangs for ~.25 to ~1.5 seconds, even in Windows if the game is running. Graphics, kbd & mouse become unresponsive and I have to wait until the screen starts moving again to be able to do anything. Changing graphics settings doesn't really help, even with everything turned down the graphics card is running at 100%. Update drivers, tried older drivers, uninstall and reinstall graphics, nothing has helped. Last night a High CZ locked up for ~10 seconds, moved a blip, locked for another 10 seconds...I thought the game was going to crash but it finally cleared up.
Not happy at all.

Well, I USED TO BE HAPPY! :unsure: Back in the Horizon Daze I never had any graphics issues. Odyssey was fine until they "fixed" graphics.
A minor annoyance that happens often and continuously becomes a major annoyance. If it only happened on starting a CZ, or entering a Station or Settlement I wouldn't be complaining, but no. It happens all the time now.
One man's annoyance is another man's reason for murder.
Especially since I can't afford a new Graphics Card.

I wouldn't recommend getting a new card for Odyssey anyway. The game still needs to be further optimized. A new graphics card won't fix that, and may or may not actually make it run better.
That's the worst part tbh; you can upgrade all you want but it's a complete tossup whether or not it will make any functional difference. I've seen just as many RTX 3090/5950x owners report awful performance as I have GTX 1060/intel i3 saying they've been seeing great performance.

And it isn't even a surefire thing that FDev ever will fix things judging by how little has meaningfully changed across 8 big patches.

I take those statements with a very large pinch of salt. If someone is trying to run a game on an i3 and a 1060, they likely don't have many contemporary points of comparison.
Well, you're about get more salt, because I'm still on an i5 and a 1060 (which is actually just slightly below the recommended specs for Odyssey). Which contemporary points of comparison would you be talking about? And I've seen some more performance in certain situations with Update 8, wouldn't call it great just yet though.

I just disembarked at an agri station where I used to get 40+ fps, depending where I stood and where my character was looking. Now I'm getting 60 everywhere in that station.

The other interesting thing is that my GPU is running at 80-95% in game now, walking around this station, whereas it always used to max out at about 60% despite the low frames. CPU is under 50%

My settings are a mix of low, medium and high, as they usually are.

I also upgraded my Nvidia drivers a couple of days ago (496.49)

Edit: i7-6700k, GTX1660ti, 32gb ram. Nothing overclocked.

120+ in space
60 - 100+ in stations (all over place this afternoon)
60-70 on planet surface srv
20-60 settlements (this is all over place and seems to be completely random)
1-5 settlement conflict zone

on med overall quality - 2k res (if i drop to 1080p the screen has big black letter box round it - weird)

RTX3080 - 32gb ram - ryzen 5 3600 - ssd

Last edited:
My settings are a mix of low, medium and high, as they usually are.
I still have to test this in Update 8, but from Update 3/4 up to and including Update 7, Environment Quality and FX Quality were bugged. When these were on Off or Low, stuff like fire and vapour from a power centre shutdown would cause severe FPS drops. When both are set on Medium or higher, these drops did not occur or at the least were less severe.

Top Bottom