"No plans to port Elite Dangerous to PS5"

But it remains a fact that they haven’t so, unless you’re seriously claiming they’re withholding the version you want out of spite, the most likely reason is that the business case doesn’t add up. That’s how business decisions are made… a simple cost/benefit analysis. You’ve not come up with any information that isn’t already public/common knowledge (setting aside our disagreement how you’ve framed it)… so they’re all factors that the accountants at Frontier will have already weighed up against the cost of making a PS5 native version.

Or are you really being so hubristic as to suggest you know better than them when it comes to making business decisions? That wouldn‘t be a good look.

What I'd suggest - and you can go back to last year and find me saying the same thing in this very thread - is that not planning to release your flagship DLC on the latest generation consoles is short sighted and shows a lack of commitment to the game on non-PC platforms, which I perceive as a general theme for Elite Dangerous, and suspect it relates to how the game was originally funded.

I'm not professing to know the internal process that informed that decision, and I'd suggest that you shouldn't either ,as you've no way of knowing - although I see you have anyway...

It might surprise you that I agree with most of what you’ve said; except that I see Frontier as a relatively small company, and that what you’re portraying as shortsightedness, I’d call “cautious risk avoidance”. It;s very obvious they treat the PC players as 1st class customers, and everyone else as steerage.. but I don’t think that decision has ultimately harmed them, as is evidenced on their balance sheet, so I don’t expect this attitude to change anytime soon.

As for the somewhat snarky last comment… all profit-making businesses work this way; if you’ve never been the person making those kinds of decisions, then maybe that’s why the process seems opaque to you.

Funnily enough, I was listening to “Power In Numbers” earlier this week; how apt.

I was simply correcting your assertion that “the PS5 is currently outselling the Switch”…. that’s a pretty wild claim I couldn’t let slide. I already acknowledged the brief period before the OLED launch (September) when the PS5 overtook it, so there’s no point in bringing that up. As for dollars vs units… pfft, come on… units is what matters if you’re trying to establish whether you have enough paying customers to convince 3rd party developers. Just ask SNK.

PS5 has only sold one tenth of the units of the PS4, and the Xbox Series a similar proportion of Xbox One. Out of that significantly smaller userbase, how many do you think play Elite Dangerous? It’s a very niche game. And how many would pay full price for a native version, given how well it works in Backwards Compatibilty (and already included with GamePass)? I’m playing it on the Xbox Series X, and it’s significantly improved over the PS4 Pro version.
Given how well it works in backwards compatibility, I’d very much like a native version!!!

Given how well it works in backwards compatibility, I’d very much like a native version!!!
I think we all would on our respective current gen platforms… just think how much better the anti-aliasing and LoD could be, for example. Then again, dare I say it, but the game is starting to show its age even on PC, with the rather simplistic depections of black holes and neutron stars, the inconsistent lighting engine, the weird thing that happens to the skybox as you travel around the galactic core… I think the entire game is long overdue a graphical overhaul.

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
@sallymorganmoore and @Arthur Tolmie sorry for the pings, but i would like to say thank you for some interaction on todays stream. Although when there is no news, you restore some faith in Fdev for me. Indeed the given statements are most similiar but to know that the plan is still bring EDO to consoles helps a lot. It’s the little glimpses who bring up faith and trust and today, there was a little shiny light.

oh and Arf welcome on board with your ps5. I’m tinfoiling that you check some shadow alpha Raxxla feeling things for perhaps consoles Version of EDO on ps5. Anyway have fun with the ps5. Would lovely to see you out in the black for a little conservation, this would be the way to install it again. Till this happens, will sit patient for now and wait, hopefully there further glimpses. Have a nice evening.
Big big big o7, Sasa. Sorry for the slowness the past few days in here. Little legs going like crazy under the desk here. Hope you're doing good.

Smaller publisher has released PS5 titles and placed an Upgrade fee on Digital titles the only items with PS4 -PS5 option…
This is a bad state of progress as it could be a bad idea/example of things to come due to how many people got EDH on physical…
Hope this is a one off with this publisher, the Fee was 14.99 UK pounds... to upgrade to PS5 but you keep the PS4 version...

Smaller publisher has released PS5 titles and placed an Upgrade fee on Digital titles the only items with PS4 -PS5 option…
This is a bad state of progress as it could be a bad idea/example of things to come due to how many people got EDH on physical…
Hope this is a one off with this publisher, the Fee was 14.99 UK pounds... to upgrade to PS5 but you keep the PS4 version...
There is no native version for ps5 and according to there taken statement there wouldn’t be a native version in the future. This could mean that there is no fee for EDO. And it wouldn’t make a sense, because EDO cost round about 40 €. I don’t think that they dare to rase a fee.

Last edited:
I have a question. I ranked up to elite in combat but then stopped playing the game when I discovered Thargoids were impossible to defeat solo. I now own a ps5 and my ps4 is disconnected.

Am I understanding correctly my files won't port to my ps5 and I would have to start over from scratch? Also are Thargoids still impossible to defeat solo?

I have a question. I ranked up to elite in combat but then stopped playing the game when I discovered Thargoids were impossible to defeat solo. I now own a ps5 and my ps4 is disconnected.

Am I understanding correctly my files won't port to my ps5 and I would have to start over from scratch? Also are Thargoids still impossible to defeat solo?
Probably not the thread for it but:

1) Your PS4 CMDR save on the ED servers will load up just fine on your PS5, no need to start again. Depending on whether you’ve downloaded your settings from PSN cloud storage, you might have to redo your control bindings, graphics settings, etc.

2) Thargoids can definitely be done solo if you are both prepared for it and have the skills. Personally I’ve only done the Interceptors in a wing of 2 or more but Scouts are no biggie if you have decent shields, plenty of hull and some AX MCs.

It's not clear how they'll handle the save files as a PS5 version hasn't been announced yet. But it is highly likely that you can take over your progress if a PS5 version should be released.

Regarding Thargoids: you can defeat them solo, I managed an Interceptor so far (barely so). Check these resources: https://www.antixenoinitiative.com/

or in case of quesions this forum section

Last edited:
It's not clear how they'll handle the save files as a PS5 version hasn't been announced yet. But it is highly likely that you can take over your progress if a PS5 version should be released.

I mean, as it stands there are “no plans” for a PS5 version - hence this thread!

You can, however, run the PS4 version on your PS5 which I assumed was what the original question related to.

There is no local save apart from config/key binds. Just log into the game on your PS5 and it will work.

Nose dive in my experience on that one..

Oh for sure! I’ve been playing a little on the PC version running via BootCamp on my MacBook … using WiFi as opposed to an Ethernet cable on my PS5 … not one single crash or connection error. They NEED to fix the reliability of the PS client and specifically on PS5 but I don’t think they give a flying f***.

Oh for sure! I’ve been playing a little on the PC version running via BootCamp on my MacBook … using WiFi as opposed to an Ethernet cable on my PS5 … not one single crash or connection error. They NEED to fix the reliability of the PS client and specifically on PS5 but I don’t think they give a flying f***.
You should know by now: If it is a Playstation exclusive problem, it will never get fixed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom