Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Update 8 / Horizons Update | 27 October discussion

once again ill say Microsoft has stated that ED:eek: is part of the preview program and those of us that have bought game via that service know the deal. Hell that put a big warning before you buy and/or load the game. we know it's going to be a bit broken. and no I personally haven't played ED:eek: on a PC But many of my squadrons have and most have older laptops. some have problems and some don't. that comes down to the game having to work on countless different PC with just as many different setups and components. consoles are standard with only a few minor changes between upgrades. it would literally be more cost and time effective to make the console version first then scall up.
The Beta was a con, they had no intention of delaying the game even though the beta was a complete fail, you just paid for a suit a few extra days play so that a non-point.

If you are a PC player that isn't happy, fine get a refund. But let us console players have a choice to make up their own minds. as for the backlash.... is this better? the company has lost 40% of it value and the console community is dying off thanks to the lack of interest in us. 3 easy ways to fix this problem:

1. down odyssey until its ready for everyone
2. release it to console under the preview program as it stands and do what they did with elite dangerous core on the console.
3. split our BGS so PC can affect console. (this was requested before horizons and was brought up again just before fleet carriers when we got the beta we were told that to wasn't needed as there wouldn't be a delay long enough to course a problem in the future. the next update came to this mess).

how about you support the community (and that include the console player) and fight to get us a fair release system or even just a basic bloody roadmap) this isn't acceptable and the PC players wouldn't accept it so why should we, because PC players like you say we should?

once again ill say Microsoft has stated that ED:eek: is part of the preview program and those of us that have bought game via that service know the deal. Hell that put a big warning before you buy and/or load the game. we know it's going to be a bit broken. and no I personally haven't played ED:eek: on a PC But many of my squadrons have and most have older laptops. some have problems and some don't. that comes down to the game having to work on countless different PC with just as many different setups and components. consoles are standard with only a few minor changes between upgrades. it would literally be more cost and time effective to make the console version first then scall up.
The Beta was a con, they had no intention of delaying the game even though the beta was a complete fail, you just paid for a suit a few extra days play so that a non-point.

If you are a PC player that isn't happy, fine get a refund. But let us console players have a choice to make up their own minds. as for the backlash.... is this better? the company has lost 40% of it value and the console community is dying off thanks to the lack of interest in us. 3 easy ways to fix this problem:

1. down odyssey until its ready for everyone
2. release it to console under the preview program as it stands and do what they did with elite dangerous core on the console.
3. split our BGS so PC can affect console. (this was requested before horizons and was brought up again just before fleet carriers when we got the beta we were told that to wasn't needed as there wouldn't be a delay long enough to course a problem in the future. the next update came to this mess).

how about you support the community (and that include the console player) and fight to get us a fair release system or even just a basic bloody roadmap) this isn't acceptable and the PC players wouldn't accept it so why should we, because PC players like you say we should?
It's ok for the xbox maybe but certainly not for the PS4. Both companies will not let a repeat of Cyberpunk happen again. I'm not blocking but you have to accept the reality that without the PC version being fixed, there won't be a game left for the console version to be played on.

but you do have the game.
it is playerble. if it isn't get a refund.
if it's so broken why to add extra stuff to compound the problem.?
if it was a Cyberpunk problem why not hold off the whole release after the beta was so bad?

By now the console community could at least have what you guys had in the beta, but we are refused even that. Hell, just do the bare minimum and split the BGS. Nothing will work on the console if they don't start work on it, which they haven't. remember PC players on mass are asking for more stuff now, not fixes. console players are asking for absently anything and we still get nothing but our threads and posts removed from the forums. i truly don't think Fdev have considered how angry the console community has become. This is only going to get worse until Fdev starts playing fair.

how about you support the community
Right now it is separated game in the same setting. I.e. you fly ship OR walk. So don't worry, you didn't miss a lot.
They promised to make tide bindings soon.
+ quality. I played 4 patches with 1050 card, which is 3% better then PS 4. It was ...720p at all low settings with 20 fps at best case, usual was 8-12 fps. You don't want that on console.

Last edited:
Right now it is separated game in the same setting. I.e. you fly ship OR walk. So don't worry, you didn't miss a lot.
+ quality. I played 4 patches with 1050 card, which is 3% better then PS 4. It was ...720p at all low settings with 20 fps at best case, usual was 8-12 fps. You don't want that on console.
Admittedly I'm getting a lot better performance than that with my 1050 at the moment but you point is valid if it's released on it's current form, it will be just as bad as it was for the alpha. Wouldn't want anyone else to go through that.

well, it is affecting the BGS of player factions already, as well as finding certain engineering mats. once again it a PC player that is playing the game saying it's bad, yet not bad enough to get a refund? I'll believe the PC community that odyssey is broken when you all stop telling how much console players don't want it and instead get their money back. unless that free suit is worth the £40 you paid.

1. we have asked for a fair release
or
2. split the bgs so it's a non-point how long it takes for us to get odyssey.
or
3. agree to use the console horizons Bgs as the standard going forward removing all PC bgs progression and discoveries giving everyone a fair field to play on.

pick one and reduce all the hate and anger that is building up.

Admittedly I'm getting a lot better performance than that with my 1050 at the moment but you point is valid if it's released on it's current form, it will be just as bad as it was for the alpha. Wouldn't want anyone else to go through that.
that bad get a refund but let the console players make up their own mind on how they spend their money. right now we would be happy with planet footfalls and scanning as ill say once again you guys have everything and more to come, we can't even get a promises that someone will start work on it this year.

well, it is affecting the BGS of player factions already, as well as finding certain engineering mats. once again it a PC player that is playing the game saying it's bad, yet not bad enough to get a refund? I'll believe the PC community that odyssey is broken when you all stop telling how much console players don't want it and instead get their money back. unless that free suit is worth the £40 you paid.

1. we have asked for a fair release
or
2. split the bgs so it's a non-point how long it takes for us to get odyssey.
or
3. agree to use the console horizons Bgs as the standard going forward removing all PC bgs progression and discoveries giving everyone a fair field to play on.

pick one and reduce all the hate and anger that is building up.

4. buy a PC & play on that platform.

Most of the BGSers & PPers I have on my friend list play in Horizons/Beyond if it helps.

I have hardware that is comfortably above minimum spec (or console spec), I can get reasonable framerate albeit still with stutters and poor load in times.

4. buy a PC & play on that platform.

Most of the BGSers & PPers I have on my friend list play in Horizons/Beyond if it helps.

I have hardware that is comfortably above minimum spec (or console spec), I can get reasonable framerate albeit still with stutters and poor load in times.
I have a pc, I just don't want to play games on it nor do I want to be huddled up like a mouth breather. why would I spend the price of 5 or 6 xbox series x buying components and upgrades for a gaming pc that will at best be valid for the life of 1 console generation? PC gaming is a money pit. its also been dying at a rate of 2% year for the last 5, where do you think they went..... Console. but that's for being the PC Master race "member" that used the buy a pc remark like a complete weapon.

I have a pc, I just don't want to play games on it nor do I want to be huddled up like a mouth breather. why would I spend the price of 5 or 6 xbox series x buying components and upgrades for a gaming pc that will at best be valid for the life of 1 console generation? PC gaming is a money pit. its also been dying at a rate of 2% year for the last 5, where do you think they went..... Console. but that's for being the PC Master race "member" that used the buy a pc remark like a complete weapon.

It is a choice. If it helps I wouldn't buy Odyssey only for it's BGS potential, nor would I buy it for the walking about gameplay. The sunsets do look good from planetside but if there were another pDLC that offered actual atmospheres and actual spacelegs, Odyssey wouldn't even get considered. It isn't worth the money, and frankly once it gets given away for free as Horizons was there will probably be a significant number of players that won't want the user interface 'upgrade' anyway.

The grass is always greener ;)

Last edited:
Its a money pit if you want to be in the top 20% of current systems, which requires constantly replacing parts, much like buying a new car often and never getting quite enough back on a trade-in. I used the same GTX 970 until recently (now 4 generations old, paid $300 for it), and I sent it to a friend as a hand-me-down. If you spread it out over time, I spend maybe ~$200 per year on my machine at most, which probably isn't that far off to new consoles every few years. When you consider games, its even more efficient. I almost never pay full price for any game (though of course I buy more games than I can play, but thats on me...).

Last edited:
It is a choice. If it helps I wouldn't buy Odyssey only for it's BGS potential, nor would I buy it for the walking about gameplay. The sunsets do look good from planetside but if there were another pDLC that offered actual atmospheres and actual spacelegs, Odyssey wouldn't even get considered. It isn't worth the money, and frankly once it gets given away for free as Horizons was there will probably be a significant number of players that won't want the user interface 'upgrade' anyway.

The grass is always greener ;)
The UI is just an absolute trash fire, most of my friends who play are already committed to giving up on the game once that hits Horizons.

It's lovely - you should try it. So much nicer to be able to see which missions are in the current system without trawling though the nav panel.

I use it daily, it's a straight downgrade for the most part, so much so I am assuming the game designers deliberately wanted to make things like plotting a jump seem complicated.

New UI is different, that was my biggest issue on start, and also there were done important updates to it. Once I got used to it (and with state we have now), I see absolutely no reason to want that old one ... new one serves my needs much more efficiently.

Selecting a start and holding a button... complicated?

Sure, if you click on exactly the right pixel at the right time at a low screen resolution ;)

It's a mess of disordered buttons with little to no thought given (depending on which screen is used) to the users process flow.

Functionally I am able to use it to do the things I want to do, and I am familiar with it having used it for months now, but while the Horizons UIs aren't great, they do generally flow. The Odd UI generally does not, making common tasks that are done regularly a button clicking chore.

but you do have the game.
it is playerble. if it isn't get a refund.
if it's so broken why to add extra stuff to compound the problem.?
if it was a Cyberpunk problem why not hold off the whole release after the beta was so bad?

By now the console community could at least have what you guys had in the beta, but we are refused even that. Hell, just do the bare minimum and split the BGS. Nothing will work on the console if they don't start work on it, which they haven't. remember PC players on mass are asking for more stuff now, not fixes. console players are asking for absently anything and we still get nothing but our threads and posts removed from the forums. i truly don't think Fdev have considered how angry the console community has become. This is only going to get worse until Fdev starts playing fair.
If they let you have Odyssey now all that would happen is that you would refund it after ten minuets play, and FDev would get a mauling from console players.
Trust us when we tell you in it's current state it will simply not run on ancient consoles.

It's a mess of disordered buttons with little to no thought given (depending on which screen is used) to the users process flow.
Uh, no. I meant joystick trigger/mouse button, not the UI buttons.
I rarely see the mouse cursor in Elite, and when I do, I get grumpy because it's in the way.

Top Bottom