Update 1 and Early Cretaceous Pack coming 9 December to Jurassic World Evolution 2

Francesca Falcini

Senior Community Manager
Hello Park Managers!

Grab your Ranger Gear, because we're heading out on an archeological dig! We're excited to announce the Early Cretaceous Pack coming to Jurassic World Evolution 2 on 9 December. The Early Cretaceous Pack adds two new land dinosaurs, one new flying reptile, and one new marine reptile to the game, all from the Early Cretaceous Era.

You'll be getting to know Wuerhosaurus, Minmi, Dsungaripterus and Kronosaurus a little better over the next week, but you can check out the Species Field Guide for Kronosaurus in the video below:

Releasing alongside the Early Cretaceous Pack is free Update 1! The Jurassic World Evolution 2 team has been hard at work making this world evolved even bigger than before. Update 1 will introduce more playable maps, more building sets, rock perch points for flying reptiles, and several other quality of life changes. and bug fixes. Read on to learn more:

DFW/JP Building Sets

Buildings and fences from the Department of Fish and Wildlife will be available in Sandbox Mode starting from 9 December. If you enjoyed the campaign mode and wanted to continue building using the DFW's building set, you'll be able to use them very very soon. Update 1 includes a full set of DFW buildings, from Restrooms and Lagoons, to Hotels and Viewing Platforms. We're also releasing additional Jurassic Park themed buildings, specifically Lagoons and Aviaries, so you can have marine and flying reptiles in your Jurassic Park era Sandbox.

DFW_Park_Wide_WM_960x540.jpg
Campaign Sandbox Levels

After Update 1 you can use the five campaign maps in Sandbox Mode. Revisit the Arizona desert, the Washington State mountains, the Pennsylvania airport, the forests of Oregon, and Yosemite National park in Sandbox and create some amazing dinosaur parks or facilities. We can't wait to see what you build in these locations. Which map will you build on first?

Flattened Sandbox Levels

Do you prefer to start with a blank slate in Sandbox Mode? After Update 1 you can! When you start up Sandbox Mode you will now have the option to start with a completely flat, tree-less version of any map. You can then modify the map topography and flora as you wish!

Opening Wide Sandbox Shot_WM_JWE2_UI_Screenshots_960x540.jpg

Rock Perch Points

Speaking of flying reptiles: they can now perch on rocks placed inside an Aviary, letting you and your guests appreciate their majesty when they rest between flights.

Balance Changes

We've done a few changes to game balancing based on some of your feedback. The frequency of storms and disease outbreaks in Chaos Theory should be less frequent after this patch, as should disease outbreaks in Easy and Medium difficulty Challenge levels. We've also made some tweaks to the Dominance stat, which should cut down on dinosaur fights, as well as decreased the likelihood of dinosaur fights causing injuries. Finally, we've rebalanced the combat stats of dinosaurs that can be involved in group hunts.

Accessibility Additions

Update 1 also comes with several accessibility additions. We've added in different subtitle colours for each speaker, an adjustable autosave frequency, and the game can be paused during cutscenes.

The DLC and free Update 1 will release on 9 December at 14:00 GMT, or at the following times in the time zones listed below:
  • 15:00 CET
  • 09:00 EST
  • 06:00 PST
  • 01:00 AET (on 10th Dec)
We hope you're looking forward to all these new changes and additions. Update 1 will come with various other tweaks and bug fixes, and the full list of patch notes will be released on launch, 9 December. Let us know what you think in the comments below! Be sure to keep an eye out on our socials for more information and screenshots about the dinosaurs and reptiles from the Early Cretaceous Pack. You can follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram, or join the discussions on our forums!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooh such a big update already and packet with many improvements! Thanks Dev Team! I am mostly looking forward to rock perching flying reptiles, so they won't just roost on the viewing galleries.

Is the DFW building set separate from JW and JP eras or will the buildings be available in those sets as well. I play PS4 so I can’t mix sets so I was curious.

Very nice update. Hope most of the bugs will be fixed so I can start my jurassic difficulty challenges

Thank you for the bug fixes and game changes. I hope the changes make getting sandbox unlocks tolerable now. I also greatly appreciate the additional DFW assets for sandbox along with starting with flattened maps! Flattened, treeless maps are a dream come true!

However I am still dismayed at the lack of decorations, paths and no placeable trees. While I know this DLC was preplanned before launch, I won't be buying any dinosaur DLC until we have a Decoration and building DLC. This was a issue that was talked about frequently in the last game and this game has the same problem.

I'll redownload the game on my PS5 and wait for the launch of Update 1.

Flattened Sandbox Levels

Do you prefer to start with a blank slate in Sandbox Mode? After Update 1 you can! When you start up Sandbox Mode you will now have the option to start with a completely flat, tree-less version of any map. You can then modify the map topography and flora as you wish!

Update looks really cool, looking forwards to it :D

Just two things, though: now that we have the blank slate option for terrain, can we please PLEASE get it for research and expeditions as well? There've been so many requests for it already and it'd be a real shame if the option to build a park completely from scratch, while unlocking everything there is along the way, wouldn't make it in.

And the second thing: are there any words on placable foliage? It was such a disappointment to see that wasn't in the game after we finally got it in an update for the first. There just isn't much you can do with a handful of rocks and a few plant brushes that can't even be combined to make more lush, interesting looking forests and parks.

Personally, I hope we get individual trees back, and an adjustment of which brushes count as forest; last time I checked, a grove of gingkos was woodland, for all intents and purposes.

Perhaps herbivore feeders being an option, allowing you to house herbivores in places without their required dietary requirements, would be neat as well. I mean, it is the kind of stuff we did when we invented hay to feed our lifestock. :LOL:

Hey! The DFW buildings will be considered a separate "era", in Sandbox. So if you're on PlayStation 4 or Xbox One, it's either Jurassic Park, Jurassic World or DFW.
Whoa! I didn’t know there was going to be three eras in the game! I thought it was only going to be two like in the first game (JP and JW).

So I wonder, was it always three eras since day 1, or is this new era going to be a part of this update?

Never the less, I am looking forward to see these new Early Cretaceous dinos in-game. That is, when I get a new computer… I’ve always wanted a new one since last year, by the way.

Balance Changes

We've done a few changes to game balancing based on some of your feedback. The frequency of storms and disease outbreaks in Chaos Theory should be less frequent after this patch, as should disease outbreaks in Easy and Medium difficulty Challenge levels. We've also made some tweaks to the Dominance stat, which should cut down on dinosaur fights, as well as decreased the likelihood of dinosaur fights causing injuries. Finally, we've rebalanced the combat stats of dinosaurs that can be involved in group hunts.
But Disease and storm frequency was not changed on Hard mode? You still have locked family trees of skins behind hard mode. If these were unlockable by medium difficulty it wouldn't be a problem. However no rebalancing to hard mode will still make it tedious and difficult for players to get those skins.

Top Bottom