Does System Status Matter for Opinion Polls?

I have done close to 30 runs of a tourist and mining settlement and only gotten 2 Opinion Polls (Tourist) and a ton of Smear Campaigns (both).

I have been doing missions for a allied faction for over a week and not received one opinion poll, so lucky you

I have been doing missions for a allied faction for over a week and not received one opinion poll, so lucky you
In the station you get one, re-log over and over - usually, from what I saw, each 3-4 tentative will give you one - or more. I know, is time-consuming, boring as hell, but is the way the FDevs love to grind-punish us...

In the station you get one, re-log over and over - usually, from what I saw, each 3-4 tentative will give you one - or more. I know, is time-consuming, boring as hell, but is the way the FDevs love to grind-punish us...
You picked a bad place then, I was getting 3-4 each run at the one I did. :p

There has to be another condition for it besides the settlement that gave you one. I can understand getting 1 bad RNG day of 10-20 attempts, but 3 bad RNG days is not random. I had better luck getting ship material in the old school days, than this on foot data stuff.

Like you said in the exchange thread, this just shows how bad Odyssey is compared to Horizons. Better stick to the latter.

System state shouldn't matter.

Try Bedi Inn in Fullerene C60.

Its got 6 hab data ports. Shouldn't take you too long. Best if base is online and you are good at sneaking around. Once you have a pattern down you can do a run in 5 mins. Its anarchy, so no bounty if you mess up and are caught. You can also go full Rambo mode if you feel like it.

Some runs you'll get nothing, personal best was 3 in a single run.

System state shouldn't matter.

Try Bedi Inn in Fullerene C60.

Its got 6 hab data ports. Shouldn't take you too long. Best if base is online and you are good at sneaking around. Once you have a pattern down you can do a run in 5 mins. Its anarchy, so no bounty if you mess up and are caught. You can also go full Rambo mode if you feel like it.

Some runs you'll get nothing, personal best was 3 in a single run.
Trying it now, zero so far. BTW, should I be yanking out the power reg every time, or will doing that make the settlement abandoned eventually?

I mean, you'll want the power regs for modding your suits. Other people will be yankin' 'em anyway.
Of course, but I was wondering if doing that consistently would eventually turn the settlement abandoned. Happened to me once with a refinery settlement that I kept looting (and taking the reg), on the weekly tick IIRC it turned abandoned and I thought whether there was a connection.

Of course, but I was wondering if doing that consistently would eventually turn the settlement abandoned. Happened to me once with a refinery settlement that I kept looting (and taking the reg), on the weekly tick IIRC it turned abandoned and I thought whether there was a connection.
It happens when a negative state triggers, but odds are you weren't the only one raiding it. Don't worry about it, those states wear off eventually. Neg states don't always take every settlement offline either.

Trying it now, zero so far. BTW, should I be yanking out the power reg every time, or will doing that make the settlement abandoned eventually?

Its currently offline? You need to restore the base? I was getting best results when it was online, less faffing about with powering up data ports.

Its currently offline? You need to restore the base? I was getting best results when it was online, less faffing about with powering up data ports.
No it's online, but 2 raids have yielded 0 OPs or SCPs.
Otherwise, I like it, nice settlement that has an Alpine resort feel to it.

P.S. Make that 4 raids. 24 HAB dataports total scanned, no opinion polls or smear campaign plans. Tons of useless data though. A pity, otherwise would have been a perfect grind spot.

Last edited:
Factabulous has been working on where to find stuff:

And the "data port" that often gets forgotten is the materials exchange thread. Many CMDRs have unwanted stuff to give away. My main CMDR has 3 opinion polls to give away (just handed over a bunch recently), and in a couple of weeks my alt CMDR will be back from Colonia with at least 5 more spare. Between those two CMDRs, thare are 50 smear campaign plans also going spare.

Steve 07.

Factabulous has been working on where to find stuff:

That's an excellent resource... but all it seems to show is an individual commander's experience with RNG, rather than a universal repeatable trend. E.g. I've been raiding an Anarchy tourism site and haven't collected any OPs or SCPs so far at all, despite the relatively high expected results that his statistics promise.

And the "data port" that often gets forgotten is the materials exchange thread. Many CMDRs have unwanted stuff to give away. My main CMDR has 3 opinion polls to give away (just handed over a bunch recently), and in a couple of weeks my alt CMDR will be back from Colonia with at least 5 more spare. Between those two CMDRs, thare are 50 smear campaign plans also going spare.
That is very generous of you. I don't mind even a brutal grind, so long as there are at least some results to be expected. But getting nothing at all is... discouraging.

The thing is, I am not raiding anarchy settlements, I am taking the missions that are available. Transport, restore/reactivate mainly, with a few raid missions thrown in to eliminate criminal factions. With the transport missions, check out the habs whilst you are there. L0 access, takes a minute to check the data port out and download the legal stuff*. Raid missions, well once you have eliminated the criminals, then it is time to loot and check the data ports. With the restore/reactivate it is even better. Take the mission and loot/download. Or, do not take the mission but go there anyway, boot up the settlement with a spare power regulator, loot/download, recover the power regulator, leave and return to do it all again. Especially lucrative when it is one of the nice big industrial settlements with the two floor CMD/SEC. Or find an abandoned settlement and power up to loot.

* If you make a note of which settlements have L0 access habs, you can visit whenever you want.

Steve 07.

No it's online, but 2 raids have yielded 0 OPs or SCPs.
Otherwise, I like it, nice settlement that has an Alpine resort feel to it.

P.S. Make that 4 raids. 24 HAB dataports total scanned, no opinion polls or smear campaign plans. Tons of useless data though. A pity, otherwise would have been a perfect grind spot.

Ooof, RNGesus really hates you.

The thing is, I am not raiding anarchy settlements, I am taking the missions that are available. Transport, restore/reactivate mainly, with a few raid missions thrown in to eliminate criminal factions. With the transport missions, check out the habs whilst you are there. L0 access, takes a minute to check the data port out and download the legal stuff*. Raid missions, well once you have eliminated the criminals, then it is time to loot and check the data ports. With the restore/reactivate it is even better. Take the mission and loot/download. Or, do not take the mission but go there anyway, boot up the settlement with a spare power regulator, loot/download, recover the power regulator, leave and return to do it all again. Especially lucrative when it is one of the nice big industrial settlements with the two floor CMD/SEC. Or find an abandoned settlement and power up to loot.

* If you make a note of which settlements have L0 access habs, you can visit whenever you want.

Steve 07.
Yeah, 'playing the game' works way better than repetitive grinding, but some just won't take that hint ...

Top Bottom