We meed some sort of update for Consoles

If they want to make bank on skins, release something the community wants.
They did exactly that during Halloween and Christmas though.

Screenshot_0075.jpg

We both know how poorly the launch for Odyssey was.

Of course it should start generating cash. But you can't polish horse apples.
Also releasing cheap and drab looking skins that no one wants isn't the way to go either.
If they want to make bank on skins, release something the community wants. Or Brabs forbid, skins the community designed. The designer who does the weekly recolour could review the submissions and publish it. Instant win. Or let the community vote.
Show 200 submissions per week, let the community decide what they'd like in the store (within reason of course) and you got quality for ARX. And for free.

MT sales to the existing player base I don't think will be enough, unfortunately. FC customisation might increase MT sales more dramatically but it would have to be something more significant that the current colour shaders.

MT sales to the existing player base I don't think will be enough, unfortunately. FC customisation might increase MT sales more dramatically but it would have to be something more significant that the current colour shaders.
Well, it's either some meager MT sales to existing players or no sales to new players due to low reviews or no DLC release.
We both know EDO won't get released any time soon to consoles, nor will it receive a magic fix to all its issues and problems this side of the financial year.
So from a financial perspective or preview, I'd say the outlook for the investors looks rather bleak, looking only at the Elite Franchise.
If Fdev want more and fast income, they'd have to do better than simple recolours of existing skins. Just my 2 cents.

JWE2 didn't do too well from what I read (I'm still yet to fully play it) and Lemnis Gate I don't know. Haven't played it or purchased it either.

7 months on, though and we're still none the wiser as to what might be considered optimised and acceptable @Mark Zero
You have it on PC... Be honest, is it optimised enough to run on a PS4 / Xbox?
What's 10 million multiplied by £29.99 please Mr. Bevis?
Don 't you mean (more accurately) 1,000? Exactly what percentage of PS4 owners (114 million units sold) play ED again?
I didn't know that 1/3 was PS4 players.
It isn't, I doubt the entire console base makes up a third of the playerbase now.

After all, the majority of console players posting on this forum tell us all that they have nobody else to play with on their platform, and how all of their friends no longer play...

Edit: Typos

Last edited:
You have it on PC... Be honest, is it optimised enough to run on a PS4 / Xbox?

Of course, I could guess or infer - we all could. Better if the developer tells us what they mean though, especially when we're 7 months on.

Don 't you mean (more accurately) 1,000? Exactly what percentage of PS4 owners (114 million units sold) play ED again?
It's the potential sales opportunity. Of course they're not going to sell one copy of the game to every owner.

It isn't, I doubt the entire console base makes up a third of the playerbase now.

It is according to Frontier.
After all, the majority of console players posting on this forum tell us all that they have nobody else to play with on their platform, and how all of their friends no longer play...

Edit: Typos

If people want to post their opinions about the game on a discussion forum then as far as I'm concerned they're free to do so. I don't want to belittle others purely because of their gaming platform choice.

Of course, I could guess or infer - we all could. Better if the developer tells us what they mean though, especially when we're 7 months on.
So, you agree that it isn't then?
Or are you unable to express an opinion on that?
It's the potential sales opportunity. Of course they're not going to sell one copy of the game to every owner.
Of course they won't , but possibly a tiny part of 1%, less if there, as announced, will not be a narive PS5 version.
It is according to Frontier.
It was, but things have changed according to the majority of console players posting here, so the percentage is allegedly much less now...
If people want to post their opinions about the game on a discussion forum then as far as I'm concerned they're free to do so. I don't want to belittle others purely because of their gaming platform choice.
Of course they can post opinions, there are a few who continually post them, no matter how ill-informed, so there couldn't possibly be an belittling here, could there?

Why, it is as if half of the stuff posted here is a fabrication, which, once again, is par for the course on a discussion forum, wouldn't you agree?

While I agree with Ratcatcher that consoles player numbers have probably dropped significantly from when we made up around a 1/3 of all ED players I don't think they've disappeared for good.

Between the initial delay and Odysseys poor release on PC I'd imagine the vast majority are just playing other games until we get some solid news regarding FDevs plans for consoles.

Barring a nominal amount of FC maintenance fees and the occassional dbl engineered CG module the game is well suited to those that want to take extended breaks.

Should EDO ever come to consoles, whether it's this generation only or they manage to pull a rabbit out their hat and get it running on older gens too, I've no doubt a lot of those players would have an interest in purchasing it.

Important to remember too that while consoles generally have lower specs than most gaming PC's they only need to get it running on one and it should work on all of them, unlike PC's where there are as many different setups as there are players.

If they want to make bank on skins, release something the community wants.
I mean, they should probably patch back in the ability on console to buy avatar cosmetics if they want to make money. One consolation for console players is that by the time we get legs, we'll have several hundred thousand Arx stockpiled from weekly rewards, for getting ourselves the fanciest outfits, and will never need to spend anything on microtransactions.

So, you agree that it isn't then?
Or are you unable to express an opinion on that?

Of course they won't , but possibly a tiny part of 1%, less if there, as announced, will not be a narive PS5 version.

It was, but things have changed according to the majority of console players posting here, so the percentage is allegedly much less now...

Of course they can post opinions, there are a few who continually post them, no matter how ill-informed, so there couldn't possibly be an belittling here, could there?

Why, it is as if half of the stuff posted here is a fabrication, which, once again, is par for the course on a discussion forum, wouldn't you agree?

You can find my opinion on Odyssey performance on other threads where that is the primary topic of discussion. I've no interest in derailing this one with the usual petty PC vs Console back-and-forth.

I mean, they should probably patch back in the ability on console to buy avatar cosmetics if they want to make money. One consolation for console players is that by the time we get legs, we'll have several hundred thousand Arx stockpiled from weekly rewards, for getting ourselves the fanciest outfits, and will never need to spend anything on microtransactions.

Good point. Agree. As they've not, that must mean there's some developments for Odyssey on console coming soon(tm).. 🤞

You can count on the prices to be adjusted fairly, so the thousands of stockpiled ARX will be spent on.... one decal. Buy more if you want some fancy gun skins. :D

You can find my opinion on Odyssey performance on other threads where that is the primary topic of discussion. I've no interest in derailing this one with the usual petty PC vs Console back-and-forth.
As the key part of this discussion is if EDO is optimised sufficiently to start a console port, I'd consider it to not be derailing the topic, more supporting it. Your lack of response is sufficient to indicate that you, as much as am I, are aware that EDO on PC is far from being optimised sufficiently to begin porting... Yet, here we are, discussing console porting knowing it cannot occur yet.

As the key part of this discussion is if EDO is optimised sufficiently to start a console port, I'd consider it to not be derailing the topic, more supporting it. Your lack of response is sufficient to indicate that you, as much as am I, are aware that EDO on PC is far from being optimised sufficiently to begin porting... Yet, here we are, discussing console porting knowing it cannot occur yet.

If you were to make the effort to find those posts you'd have seen that I have no doubt Odyssey could be released on current generation console hardware today, and that I believe the game is scaleable enough to run on previous generation console hardware. But that's not really the point, and here's why:

Frontier have told us only that they want to "prioritise the core PC experience for Elite Dangerous Odyssey" and nothing more. You're assuming that solely means performance optimisation, but that's not necessarily the case. It could mean any number of things, performance being just one...

It's almost as if the wording is far too obtuse to mean anything to anyone, 7 months down the line.

If you were to make the effort to find those posts you'd have seen that I have no doubt Odyssey could be released on current generation console hardware today, and that I believe the game is scaleable enough to run on previous generation console hardware. But that's not really the point, and here's why:

Frontier have told us only that they want to "prioritise the core PC experience for Elite Dangerous Odyssey" and nothing more. You're assuming that solely means performance optimisation, but that's not necessarily the case. It could mean any number of things, performance being just one...
Frontier have also told us they have no plan to release on current generation consoles, so the reference is pretty much meaningless in the current situation, wouldn't you agree?
It's almost as if the wording is far too obtuse to mean anything to anyone, 7 months down the line.
Well, not for some of us, obviously... Nothing has changed, why should it become obtuse to anyone capable of logical cogitation?

The discussion does appear to be painting itself into a corner, with a reference to running on hardware that isn't planned, and an obvious admission that it couldn't run on the planned hardware. Interesting.

@boppa_ I've got to commend you, you are really fighting for some information/updates on consoles. For all your research and suggestions of what you feel Frontier should be doing all that you're getting from FDEV is silence and, shall we call it, "lively" debates with other CMDRS? I'm with you on wanting more information on what the future looks like for consoles from FDEV, but they're not going to say anything. No amount of reasoning is going to change their mind, they'll do it on their own schedule whether anyone thinks it makes good business sense or not. My question for you is, is all this hassle worth it? It's got to be getting tiring. They always say the squeaky wheel gets the grease, so maybe at some point, you'll get an answer to your questions.

Top Bottom