Very nice video from CMDR Buur

"many things" : yes, which is BurrPits point

however
"major things" : few in reality, what we mostly got were additions and tweaks from 2.2 until Odyssey
"good quality things" : in some cases yes, in many cases no
"things that add depth" : no not really, once you go past planet landing the most we really got was Aliens which could have been great if it went somewhere but its all glass ceilings and fences. The rest is mostly padding out what was already there or taking a different screenshot

I'll take a much more positive view on Odyssey once there is something meaningful to do (with no framerate loss :cool: )
They have to fix and add major things in odyssey.
Did you see their stocks?
Execute and create is two key things to "change" the game now.

Cheers

I haven't been there since the beginning since I run Linux, but I've seen plenty of improvements and some new things in the years I've played. It seems like this is likely to continue, and I doubt that FDev will leave things as they are, and only fix the FPS and release as is on consoles.

To me it really seems like that are building a framework for adding things to, I really hope that isn't only my optimism speaking. FWIW, I liked the video, I think the Buur Pit and ObsidianAnt make really beautiful videos and I enjoy them.

I haven't been there since the beginning since I run Linux, but I've seen plenty of improvements and some new things in the years I've played. It seems like this is likely to continue, and I doubt that FDev will leave things as they are, and only fix the FPS and release as is on consoles.

To me it really seems like that are building a framework for adding things to, I really hope that isn't only my optimism speaking. FWIW, I liked the video, I think the Buur Pit and ObsidianAnt make really beautiful videos and I enjoy them.
There are many improvements. Many.
But the majority was to make the game playable, the way that should be in release.
So, I do understand the complains.
I do agree about the "framework" to add more things.
But before that, frontier must decide what to do with consoles.
It's gonna be a hard business decision.

o7

Just watched the video. If you want to look at it like that, and forget the 5 years of time that the grand sounding list took to achieve, sure.

The only point could be that Odd was not sold as a season. Not that I mind getting features slowly, but we have no basis to expect… any more than they told us, which is currently fleet carrier interiors and console. There was an honest promise that new stuff is being worked on, but was that just carrier interiors?

It’s good to like the game being played in the moment, but without a roadmap that just is just puffing up on fantasy. That’s never turned out well for elite, at least relative to any other ongoing service game.

Last edited:
Buur needs those changes put into perspective. Let's consider the timeline:

Last 2 years of content (1/14/2020 - 1/14/2022)
6/9/2020fleet carriers
5/19/2021odyssey
12/9/2021scorpion SRV (was already in odyssey)

last 2 years of content before Beyond concluded (12/11/2016 - 12/11/2018)
4/11/2017Horizons 2.3 multicrew, avatars, third person camera, dolphin
9/26/2017Horizons 2.4 thargoids, AX combat, surface sites, burning stations, type 10
2/27/2018Beyond 3.0 chieftan, wing missions, material traders, remote workshops, tech brokers, megaship looting, galnet audio
6/28/2018Beyond 3.1 challenger, krait mkII, installation hacking, guardian modules, scout variants, attacked settlements
8/28/2018Beyond 3.2 crusader, hybrid SLFs, guardian beacons, guardian structures, gauss cannons, thargoid hydra
12/11/2018Beyond 3.3 krait phantom, mamba, squadrons, core mining and surface mining, codex, NSPs, USS, night vision

Content additions are so rare now that Burr actually gives "module and navigation bookmark limits were increased" when searching for examples of post-Odyssey features. Which is funny since he skipped over the module limit increase when listing features of Beyond 3.0. Why was it a feature worth mentioning after Odyssey but not before Odyssey? I wouldn't bring it up for either, it's just a limit change like multi-limpet controllers effectively are.

Also, he says "With Odyssey it does feel somewhat like the landscape has shifted with FDev moving away from the engagement peak and trough pattern that significant large drops with nothing in-between tends to instil and instead they're going for more regular but smaller feature additions and drops." Now look at the timelines above. Utterly delusional.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG1k0CGnNBI

Frontier always did a good job including many things in the game, and now is going to be even better! We sometimes forget this.

I'll help summarizing what's in the video.
The summary is:
What Buur says is all well and good, but essentially they are saying that Horizons was released over time and built on.

Yeah, it was, it was a season, they said that what the plan.

Odyssey was touted as a complete expansion, no season model, it releases, it's done.

So it's either a bad comparison, or Frontier were telling porkies.

What Buur says is all well and good, but essentially they are saying that Horizons was released over time and built on.

Yeah, it was, it was a season, they said that what the plan.

Odyssey was touted as a complete expansion, no season model, it releases, it's done.

So it's either a bad comparison, or Frontier were telling porkies.
Frontier spoke many times that they'll to continue to improve Odyssey (half year report mentioned that too).
But you're right, in the past, they made clear with the seasons.

Frontier spoke many times that they'll to continue to improve Odyssey (half year report mentioned that too).
But you're right, in the past, they made clear with the seasons.
Continuing to improve is a totally different thing to it being a season of updates. And they mostly were forced to start doing the updates ASAP because the release was a trash fire.

They even said if things had gone to plan, they'd have just been working on Console release after PC launch - all this stuff we are getting was clearly on their plan, but for much later on, they actually thought Odyssey was a complete package...

I'll take a much more positive view on Odyssey once there is something meaningful to do

What meaningful things do you expect to be added to Odyssey? Basically its just more missions, but this time on foot instead of in ship or SRV. It also gives a new vector to work the BGS.

Its just base game/horizons taken to the foot level.

If Odyssey isn't meaningful, then neither is the base game.

Personally, meaningful for me means doing something in real life. This is a computer game. Meaningful is irrelevant. Is it fun? That is the question.

Continuing to improve is a totally different thing to it being a season of updates. And they mostly were forced to start doing the updates ASAP because the release was a trash fire.

They even said if things had gone to plan, they'd have just been working on Console release after PC launch - all this stuff we are getting was clearly on their plan, but for much later on, they actually thought Odyssey was a complete package...
Like I said, they made more clear with 'seasons' style last time.
FC interiors, Scorpion are just the beginning.
I respect your opinion, but for me... same thing, different words.

Cheers

FD wanted to do away with seasons, thats why we were to get one giant monolithic update. But thats not happened probably because EDO was late and released undercooked- now its a half way seasons thing as the late stuff come online in ham like slices.

FD wanted to do away with seasons, thats why we were to get one giant monolithic update. But thats not happened probably because EDO was late and released undercooked- now its a half way seasons thing as the late stuff come online in ham like slices.
And let's be honest... impossible have seasons with Odyssey. It was TERRIBLE broken when they released ehhehehe.
Now, maybe Frontier can think about that after update 10.

It’s the base game with only 1.1 pillars. Combat and salvage / postal.

So, what's missing from foot that is in the base game? Mining? I think every other type of activity is covered, and more. At least that would make sense.

Does on-foot mining make sense?

Probably why it fails to make contact with the majority of players.

And which majority is this? Have you done a poll of everyone? I would argue performance is a much bigger factor than content in relation to why people are not playing. Player numbers are on the rise again, not quite at 2020-2021 levels yet, but a definitely upswing.

Add the rest of the base game

Again, which is? What makes sense for on-foot?

and Eva plus interiors and 10/10.

Probably a separate DLC. At least if they want to do a decent job of it. Don't expect it as part of Odyssey.

Disclaimer: Fully aware that frontier made the objectively bad player pov decision of complete isolation of odd content, so responses are just for discussion and fantasy.

So, what's missing from foot that is in the base game? Mining? I think every other type of activity is covered, and more. At least that would make sense.

Trading and mining specifically. For exploration with the salvage and plants there's more than we had before so it can pass.

Trading could be just rp. Imagine if the commodities market was access from a balcony so you could watch some sort of instantly abortable animation of your ship being filled. Bad example. Id be happy to pass it if such extreme measures of designing one room in stations with appropriate decoration and putting a terminal with the ship commodites markets was in odd. Really wouldn't have mentioned anything with this.

Mining for sure. Both surface mining but the high caliber experience would be astroid mining (for whatever "gameplay" reward best appropriate). If they could nail the visuals so it convinced you of being in a groundless environment in view of a gas giant, how could that not be great?

And which majority is this? Have you done a poll of everyone? I would argue performance is a much bigger factor than content in relation to why people are not playing. Player numbers are on the rise again, not quite at 2020-2021 levels yet, but a definitely upswing.

Sure feel free to add an additional filter to those that make it past the performance gauntlet. Just on that, from being on borderline hardware anyone who is past the breakpoints really can't imagine how bad ody is when it doesn't run. Its alarming woeful when you don't make the cut. If only you could just turn it down enough and end up at a configuration that would be okay. Even on my rig, its so bad i've considered a very very jittery 30fps as playable, no other game requires this today on the same hardware.

Again, which is? What makes sense for on-foot?

All of it if you're willing to find the fun. If you start a fan fic thread about putting the other pillars in including ship interiors i'll happily chime in.

Probably a separate DLC. At least if they want to do a decent job of it. Don't expect it as part of Odyssey.

That's the make or break, for odd, isn't it? Whether frontier charge for it doesn't really matter.

... Its probably not the time to think about it, but say frontier called it after carrier interiors and thargoid combat and consoles and moved onto gas giants, coming to it again only in a beyond style iteration maybe never. How would you feel about it then?

Last edited:
Top Bottom