Console Profile Transfers and 2022 Updates

Hi all!

Thanks for all your queries; we're gathering and relaying them to the development team. When we have a comprehensive list of answers, we'll share them in a separate FAQ post.
Main question are:

1. if we have purchased Odyssey already, will we need to purchase again

2. Will any part of our existing PC account be available (if so, can any parts be merged)

3. How long does the copy take to be available on PC?

4. Does the console account remain playable during the copy process?

5. Can I use my same PC name or do I need to pick another commander name?

Main question are:

2. Will any part of our existing PC account be available (if so, can any parts be merged)

I asked almost the same question on the ticket and got this reply:

"To answer your question, when you complete the console transfer (option 1), this will replace your current PC commander with your console commander (existing PC CMDR will be removed). There is no need to create a new account or manually delete the save, all will be done automatically through a specialized tool that we are currently developing."

Then there's also this message for those who put up a ticket before the announcement.

"This is a mass response being sent to everyone who has recently contacted Frontier Support to request a platform asset transfer.

I would like to begin by apologising for the length of time it has taken to provide further information related to our intentions with these and thank you for your patience.

Earlier this week, Frontier’s Community team made an announcement on our forums, which confirmed a method of transferring CMDR profiles from console to PC is in development and will become available as soon as possible. Please click this link to view the original forum post, or click this link to see a summary of the details on our support page. The support page will be updated in the coming days to provide answers to frequently asked questions about the process.

Until the transfer process is fully developed, we will not be able to provide assistance with new transfer requests, which is why we have removed the original article and ticket form.

This leaves the question of how we can assist those of you who made transfer requests prior to the news that Odyssey would not be coming to consoles, or have made requests since the news (but before the recent announcement mentioned above). In order to find a satisfactory resolution to your ticket, we can offer three options.

Please read the information below and take action based on the option that applies to you.

1. I have a console CMDR and would like to fully transfer their progress, assets and cosmetic items (such as ship kits and paint jobs) to a PC account.
We cannot currently accommodate this request within Customer Support, but please keep an eye on our ‘profile transfer’ support page or our official Twitter account for news on when the transfer process will be ready for use and further instruction on how to complete the transfer when it is available.

2. I have previously had a platform transfer, whereby my console CMDR’s credit value was transferred to PC, and would now like to transfer the cosmetic items (such as ship kits and paint jobs) to the PC account that I now use.
Please reply to this ticket, confirming that this is what you would like to do, and we will gladly assist in this.

3. I have requested a transfer of my CMDR’s assets in credits and would like to continue with this process. I do not want to transfer my CMDR’s profile to another platform.
If you would like to continue with the process as described in the original application, please confirm this and we will do this for you."

"To answer your question, when you complete the console transfer (option 1), this will replace your current PC commander with your console commander (existing PC CMDR will be removed). There is no need to create a new account or manually delete the save, all will be done automatically through a specialized tool that we are currently developing."

Then there's also this message for those who put up a ticket before the announcement.

"This is a mass response being sent to everyone who has recently contacted Frontier Support to request a platform asset transfer.

I would like to begin by apologising for the length of time it has taken to provide further information related to our intentions with these and thank you for your patience.

Earlier this week, Frontier’s Community team made an announcement on our forums, which confirmed a method of transferring CMDR profiles from console to PC is in development and will become available as soon as possible. Please click this link to view the original forum post, or click this link to see a summary of the details on our support page. The support page will be updated in the coming days to provide answers to frequently asked questions about the process.

Until the transfer process is fully developed, we will not be able to provide assistance with new transfer requests, which is why we have removed the original article and ticket form.

This leaves the question of how we can assist those of you who made transfer requests prior to the news that Odyssey would not be coming to consoles, or have made requests since the news (but before the recent announcement mentioned above). In order to find a satisfactory resolution to your ticket, we can offer three options.

Please read the information below and take action based on the option that applies to you.

1. I have a console CMDR and would like to fully transfer their progress, assets and cosmetic items (such as ship kits and paint jobs) to a PC account.
We cannot currently accommodate this request within Customer Support, but please keep an eye on our ‘profile transfer’ support page or our official Twitter account for news on when the transfer process will be ready for use and further instruction on how to complete the transfer when it is available.

2. I have previously had a platform transfer, whereby my console CMDR’s credit value was transferred to PC, and would now like to transfer the cosmetic items (such as ship kits and paint jobs) to the PC account that I now use.
Please reply to this ticket, confirming that this is what you would like to do, and we will gladly assist in this.

3. I have requested a transfer of my CMDR’s assets in credits and would like to continue with this process. I do not want to transfer my CMDR’s profile to another platform.
If you would like to continue with the process as described in the original application, please confirm this and we will do this for you."
that's actually great, it answers a lot of questions and it is almost the best answers we could imagine for those questions :)

Last edited:

As helpful as the intent is, I suggest caution until the official announcement is posted from the Community Managers.
The '...replace your current PC commander...' appears at odds with the initial announcement.
Adding a check to see if the commander details (name, email, etc) already exist seems sensible, but then performing a merge of existing PC database entries with the console data seems unnecessary if a free PC account is being provided for every transfer.

Main question are:

1. Probably
  2. Earlier dev post said no mergers
  3. Unknown at this time.
  4. Hopefully not, to much chance of messing the process up if you are changing the data while it is being copied.
  5. Your console commander name would be the default unless it is already in use on the PC.
Remember they are giving you a free Horizons PC account with the copy of your console account in it.

As helpful as the intent is, I suggest caution until the official announcement is posted from the Community Managers.
The '...replace your current PC commander...' appears at odds with the initial announcement.
Adding a check to see if the commander details (name, email, etc) already exist seems sensible, but then performing a merge of existing PC database entries with the console data seems unnecessary if a free PC account is being provided for every transfer.

No Odds.
They said there will be no merge between console account and the pc account.
"replace your current PC commander" means there is no merge

I would assume the migration procedure will ask the console commander if they wanta a new PC account or if they want to be migrated by replacing an already existing PC account.
And this will be a positive outcome to all the questions that were raised as in: but i already got a pc account with odyssey enabled -in which case FDev will migrate the console account into that existing account (replace, not merge).
With the caveat that in this case the Consoler will not get a free Horizons account in the process.

No Odds.
They said there will be no merge between console account and the migrated pc account.
"replace your current PC commander" means there is no merge

I would assume the migration procedure will ask the console commander if they wanta a new PC account or if they want to be migrated by replacing an already existing PC account.
And this will be a positive outcome to all the questions that were raised as in: but i already got a pc account with odyssey enabled -in which case FDev will migrate the console account into that existing account (replace, not merge).
With the caveat that in this case the Consoler will not get a free Horizons account in the process.
This is where my limited knowledge is probably dangerous.

Without knowing how a Commander is built within the Frontier, I would assume PC commander Snowymonk would translate to a database entry or entries that would record the various permits, ranks, cosmetics etc that I have unlocked. (for the purposed of this example - ID:101)
I don't see why all my information would be centralised into a single database entry as it would probably be performant faster to distribute my information across multiple database tables (one for permits, one for ships, one for skip kits, one for outfitting, etc) - each linking back to my profile via a key field or fields (ID:101)

Whenever I make a change to my commander profile (buy a new ship, unlock a new rank, join a different squadron, etc) a CRUD request is made of my database entries.

For the Console transfer, I would expect that a Create request is easier to perform as it is adding a new entry to the bottom of each of these database tables. A simple look-up at the start of the request would validate that a key field, such as Commander Name does not already exist before performing the creation. If the Commander name already existing an Alternate naming convention is applied (Commander Name_+1) and a second check is made until the validation is passed.
This Create request would then generate a new database entry Commander Snowymonk+1 (ID:102). Commander Snowymonk (ID:101) would be unaffected by the Console transfer.

If the option of replacing an existing entry is an option (A PC commander + Odyssey was the example given), then the degree of validation needs to be that much more complex.
  • Who is being replaced - is it genuinely the same user from a different platform? or has the new request accidently typo'd the wrong Commander name (Can we all be Commander Harry Potter?)
  • What happens to the previous unlocks on the 'losing' PC commander - have all database tables been scrubbed of the old Commander's existence? What happens is one is missed? - will you be able to get to Shinrata Deshra on your newly transferred PC/console even though he doesn't have Elite Rank but the now non-existent former PC commander was.
  • What happens to previously unlocked PC cosmetics - they were unlocked on the PC account, why cant they be used by the replacement PC/Console commander?

I am sure that the bods within Frontier will have a whole host of concerns, which is why the change hasn't happened already.
In my opinion - This is why a free 'new' PC account seems the best way forward.

Other opinions may vary.

This is where my limited knowledge is probably dangerous.

Without knowing how a Commander is built within the Frontier, I would assume PC commander Snowymonk would translate to a database entry or entries that would record the various permits, ranks, cosmetics etc that I have unlocked. (for the purposed of this example - ID:101)
I don't see why all my information would be centralised into a single database entry as it would probably be performant faster to distribute my information across multiple database tables (one for permits, one for ships, one for skip kits, one for outfitting, etc) - each linking back to my profile via a key field or fields (ID:101)

Whenever I make a change to my commander profile (buy a new ship, unlock a new rank, join a different squadron, etc) a CRUD request is made of my database entries.

For the Console transfer, I would expect that a Create request is easier to perform as it is adding a new entry to the bottom of each of these database tables. A simple look-up at the start of the request would validate that a key field, such as Commander Name does not already exist before performing the creation. If the Commander name already existing an Alternate naming convention is applied (Commander Name_+1) and a second check is made until the validation is passed.
This Create request would then generate a new database entry Commander Snowymonk+1 (ID:102). Commander Snowymonk (ID:101) would be unaffected by the Console transfer.

If the option of replacing an existing entry is an option (A PC commander + Odyssey was the example given), then the degree of validation needs to be that much more complex.
  • Who is being replaced - is it genuinely the same user from a different platform? or has the new request accidently typo'd the wrong Commander name (Can we all be Commander Harry Potter?)
  • What happens to the previous unlocks on the 'losing' PC commander - have all database tables been scrubbed of the old Commander's existence? What happens is one is missed? - will you be able to get to Shinrata Deshra on your newly transferred PC/console even though he doesn't have Elite Rank but the now non-existent former PC commander was.
  • What happens to previously unlocked PC cosmetics - they were unlocked on the PC account, why cant they be used by the replacement PC/Console commander?

I am sure that the bods within Frontier will have a whole host of concerns, which is why the change hasn't happened already.
In my opinion - This is why a free 'new' PC account seems the best way forward.

Other opinions may vary.

You do seem to overthink it.

So based on the above, if you do already have a pc account, odyssey enabled, and you wish to discard whatever progress you have made in that PC account, FDev can move your console account in the pc account by Replacing your PC account with the Console Account.
No merge, but replace.

But this 👇 is what if find absolutely nice for the people that transferred (only assets value in credits) in the past:

I concur, it does muddy the water seeming to contradict the CM statement.
I guess we'll likely be in limbo until it actually happens...

You do seem to overthink it.

So based on the above, if you do already have a pc account, odyssey enabled, and you wish to discard whatever progress you have made in that PC account, FDev can move your console account in the pc account by Replacing your PC account with the Console Account.
No merge, but replace.

But this 👇 is what if find absolutely nice for the people that transferred (only assets value in credits) in the past:
What about the opposite? I have cosmetics purchased on my PC account but my Console Account is far further along in the game / has more assets (including some RNG++ engineering stuff from early on before they normalized engineering).
I'm definitely going to transfer my console account to overwrite my PC account, but what about the cosmetics I purchased on the PC account prior to the overwrite? Do those purchases essentially evaporate?

What about the opposite? I have cosmetics purchased on my PC account but my Console Account is far further along in the game / has more assets (including some RNG++ engineering stuff from early on before they normalized engineering).
I'm definitely going to transfer my console account to overwrite my PC account, but what about the cosmetics I purchased on the PC account prior to the overwrite? Do those purchases essentially evaporate?
I wouldn't think so. If I were to clear my CMDR on PC it doesn't affect my cosmetics.

Of course only FDEV can be 100% clear on this at this point.

That's IMO a good question, hopefully it will be answered in the upcoming faq.

As a console owner (which I am not, so not really my business, but...) I would not be happy with such a "solution". Only if a full refund for such an unusable Odyssey account was offered as an option. This is certainly not what I consider a clean solution.
They could have waited, cope harder i guess. This is a lesson to wait and see what happens. They can use that odyssey account as an alt.

Lets get this straight, if you have bought an Odyssey account then that is on PC. No one is forcing you to buy it again. You are getting, in effect, a free Horizons account. I really cant see what all the carping is about.
Alt account, great! Thanks FD. My xbox account will give me another. Maybe one day I might buy Odyssey, so what? Jeez....

They why not keep your current pc account and transfer the console account into a new, secondary, pc account? Having 2 accounts is always nice.
Else, as per support response mentioned above, your console account will replace your old pc account and i will assume the cosmetics might disappear along with the previous pc account (unless the NO Merge refers strictly to commander profile/progress and not to cosmetics)

Anyway, FDev is monitoring this thread and they will work through various scenarios

I know they won't allow a "merger" of the 2, but I wish they'd at least allow us to transfer worth in credits to an existing commander.

I'd be happy with just assets and purchased cosmetics, even if it deleted my console character.

Top Bottom