Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

However, and I believe ED sits around the 6K concurrent users, 3000 isn't so bad an audience. Niche game, non-Steam - it is pretty good for that. I wonder if FO76 ever made it that far.
~5k on Steam, plus: Frontier launcher, Oculus, Epic, Xbox and Playstation.

EVE Online gets ~25k concurrent.

NMS gets ~15k on Steam, plus Xbox and Playstation.

Space Engineers gets ~5.5k on Steam

Fallout 76 gets ~6.5k on Steam

The problem I have with Star Citizen today is that by the time I have waded through all the cleverly hidden "Please Wait" screens, walked all the halls, ridden all the trains and elevators then finally claimed/retrieved a ship I have gotten bored or thought of something else I would rather be doing. With bugs and restarts it can be a half-hour before I can even get into a ship. The concept of "testing" is usually that gameplay improves over time, becomes more stable and playable, not just prettier.

However, and I believe ED sits around the 6K concurrent users, 3000 isn't so bad an audience. Niche game, non-Steam - it is pretty good for that.
Typically a half a billion budget and goals of selling millions of copies of SQ42 when it launches would imply something a tiny little bit higher though. This is supposedly the biggest budget, industry-revolutionizing, state-of-the-art, GOAT supergame. Not some niche indie game like space engineers, which in all likelyhood has a far higher playerbase than SC.

Its just odd any which way you look at it.

Typically a half a billion budget and goals of selling millions of copies of SQ42 when it launches would imply something a tiny little bit higher though. This is supposedly the biggest budget, industry-revolutionizing, state-of-the-art, GOAT supergame. Not some niche indie game like space engineers, which in all likelyhood has a far higher playerbase than SC.

Its just odd any which way you look at it.
Good point. I was merely´looking at the sorry state it's in when making that statement.

The problem I have with Star Citizen today is that by the time I have waded through all the cleverly hidden "Please Wait" screens, walked all the halls, ridden all the trains and elevators then finally claimed/retrieved a ship I have gotten bored or thought of something else I would rather be doing. With bugs and restarts it can be a half-hour before I can even get into a ship. The concept of "testing" is usually that gameplay improves over time, becomes more stable and playable, not just prettier.
OMG, all the corridors are just loading screens?! All the stuff Darkfire rants about is just to stream all the assets for later?

In my case, and as a nod to you, I used the 2021 Liberum figure (based on log ins within a month) because it was the one available at the peak of the concurrency and activity at the time of EDO launch, which was also the time we had arbitrary selected to also start counting refugees too.
Not 'we' but 'you'. If it was only me, I would have not started to try to get stats from those numbers because not enough datas. It's only your bad formula that get me in.

And you don't have the number of active players in 2022 Liberum because it was bad so 'forgotten' by FDEV.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Not 'we' but 'you'. If it was only me, I would have not started to try to get stats from those numbers because not enough datas. It's only your bad formula that get me in.
Not exactly no, you started all this with a very specific request to use "Active Players" (whatever that meant for you) when you responded to Stuart who had used total units sold. Here:
But you should understand the difference between 'players' and 'active players' before counting to 12 millions (do you know I have an ED paid account ?).
And then it was also you who issue the challenge to do the maths (even though now you say you would not want to do it because "not enough datas", :unsure: ):
You want to do the stat ?
To which I responded by using an Active Player definition applicable at the time EDO launch, by FDEV´s own broker no less. And you really never complained about it until the numbers didn´t stack in your favor: It took you 5 messages discussing hours per week, missed players and other unrelated stuff before you realized the numbers were not looking good for you, and then finally performed a text book goal post moving exercise by challenging the 500K Liberum figure for the first time.

And you don't have the number of active players in 2022 Liberum because it was bad so 'forgotten' by FDEV.

🤷‍♂️ The 2021 figure was used as applicable to the start of EDO release, from where we started counting a 12 month period worth of "refugees". But it does not matter much anyways. As mentioned, even if a 2022 "active player" number existed we would then need to correspondingly reduce the refugee period to just 4 or maybe 5 months in 2022 by the same token, which will probably cut our original estimate range of "refugees" in more than half anyways. The estimate can end up even worst off for you. What´s the point?

As mentioned, given the huge number of ways you can define and calculate "active" those % are largely irrelevant. What matters is the absolute number.

Bottom line still is that a range of 3K to 15K estimated refugees (and that is probably still quite rough and generous) over a full year is still pretty tiny and ridiculous either way (and probably within the natural range and noise of players moving from game to game), weather you want to display that in a % figure (of a vague/arbitrary number) or not. Especially when FDEV may be selling more base game units than that in a month.

Last edited:
Not exactly no, you started all this with a very specific request to use "Active Players" (whatever that meant for you) when you responded to Stuart who had used total units sold. Here:

And then it was also you who issue the challenge to do the maths (even though now you say you would not want to do it because "not enough datas", :unsure: ):

To which I responded by using an Active Player definition applicable at the time EDO launch, by FDEV´s own broker no less. And you really never complained about it until the numbers didn´t stack in your favor: It took you 5 messages discussing hours per week, missed players and other unrelated stuff before you realized the numbers were not looking good for you, and then finally performed a text book goal post moving exercise by challenging the 500K Liberum figure for the first time.

🤷‍♂️ The 2021 figure was used as applicable to the start of EDO release, from where we started counting a 12 month period worth of "refugees". But it does not matter much anyways. As mentioned, even if a 2022 "active player" number existed we would then need to correspondingly reduce the refugee period to just 4 or maybe 5 months in 2022 by the same token, which will probably cut our original estimate range of "refugees" in more than half anyways. The estimate can end up even worst off for you. What´s the point?

As mentioned, given the huge number of ways you can define and calculate "active" those % are largely irrelevant. What matters is the absolute number.

Bottom line still is that a range of 3K to 15K estimated refugees (and that is probably still quite rough and generous) over a full year is still pretty tiny and ridiculous either way (and probably within the natural range and noise of players moving from game to game), weather you want to display that in a % figure (of a vague/arbitrary number) or not. Especially when FDEV may be selling more base game units than that in a month.
You have the bad formula though. Bad formula is worse than no formula, you know? Bad formula smells and looks ugly. And everyone knows you have bad formula now. :(
Only zookoo ritual can help. Or donation to SC, of course.

Top Bottom