Message to the Devs: Innovate or die

Ship interiors.
Fix piracy - grappling hook would suffice along with higher "drop rate" for high value goods.
Fix smuggling - rebalanced rewards.
Optimise the game engine to run better. Not too much to ask.
Fix multiplay
Get rid of p2p in favour of a more modern server system.
More exploratory content across the board.
Fix law n order to make ganking almost impossible or self destructive namely perma notoriety ha.
And that's just some of the things that need doing.
Course this Is just my humble opinion and is not in any way suggestive on my part....lol
Some of us are old and won't live another 50 years to see all this come to fruition. Heck, I'm not sure the earth is going to live another 50 years, but that's a topic for a different thread.

There is a lot of gamers that expect Elite to have a end-game. "What is the goal?". There is no goal, there is no finish line. You will not see a video on how to beat the game in 3 hours. The 2 hour adrenaline rush some expect is not there. The game is a simulation of a life in a future world where we live our lives above planet surface. It is about creating communities, fly alone to the other side of the galaxy, trade, fight or whatever you want to do. It is about epic battles between the Powers, with dedicated communities fighting the war. And the thargoids, are they good or bad? It is your choice, fight, flight or stay to make new friends? You can trade or mine, it is all the hunt for the profit. You can have that adrenaline rush in conflict zones, but that is a very small part of the game.

When it comes to stability I'm sort of out of that debate. I had a lot of struggles with the game until I got assistance from support to dive in to the problem. It turned out to be my firewall causing all the problems.
But I come back to this world over and over. I'm not afraid of the grind, that is an essential part. The small goals you set for yourself to build that perfect suit, weapon, ship etc. The satisfaction you feel when you test that build and feel how it fulfills the expectations. I have online friends I've never met. But we chat, we fly, we build that community. We fight, trade, mine or whatever we want to do, and we explore the galaxy together - or alone. It is our choice.

Last edited:
Devs, please, please, please take note,

Your player base is rapidly decreasing as newer games are being released with the same promises and better, more enticing game play than what you've promised. All that remains now is the most die-hard fans. And while I am a fan, and I would hate to see this game bite the dust, the evidence is clear...it is rapidly fading from the thoughts of most gamers.

Steam Charts shows the painful truth: Steam Charts - Elite Dangerous

Leading up to the release of "space legs" you saw an unprecedented spike of players, which immediately fell by 1/2 the following month due to releasing an unfinished product wrought with bugs. While the dedication to the fans has always been present, I think it's important to consider developing a game that new players would want to play. The mind-numbing grind-fest that rivals top Korean made MMOs you call "Elite Dangerous" is not that game.

January '22 saw another uptick, but only in contrast to the dramatic decrease of players following the failed space legs.

It's time to focus on improving what you already have. You have a decent game. Make some good QoL improvements to make some of the potential players come back, and after you build up your player base a little, you can be more ambitious and pursue larger developments. Let's get some of those 27K players who bought the game to see it was money well spent.

Now what youve been waiting for...my list of simple QoL improvements:

1. CUT OUT THE GRIND!!!
- I can't stress this enough. I know that you feel it should be a momentous achievement to acquire one of the Top 3 or a Fleet Carrier, and rightly so, yet that's not what it feels like. Usually it feels like this:
"OMG Finally I can afford ****, It's a-bout time. this had better be worth it."

For the average gamer, which btw has increased in age from mid-teens to early 30s (yes we grew up; Gamer demographics ), this is such a time consuming effort which we no longer have the freedom to invest. For the majority of us, we're reaching middle management positions within company, or leading busy lives raising a family (props to those who can manage both of these and still find time to play). At least in my case, I'm lucky to find 1-2 hours a day to play anything. And I'd hardly prefer to spend it just grinding. That's not relaxing, it's just plain boring. Not to mention, relax too much in this game and you die, which is just stressful.

Reduce costs for ships and equipment by a factor of 2 to 10. 1/10th might be a little aggressive, but the point is, people aren't enjoying the game anymore as a new interesting experience if they have to grind the same mission 100s of times just to afford that new shiny ship, or get that new spiffy part engineered; that's assuming they don't die in the process. Most of my ships are permanent "Hanger Queens" because I haven't finished engineering them enough to feel comfortable flying them out of the hanger. I've literally uninstalled this game almost everytime I popped and realized how much it would cost to replace my lost ship in terms of my time. I get paid $30 an hour. And you're asking me to sacrifice 100s of hours to collect some worthless in game currency for the equivalent of basically a NFT? I'm spending my free time doing this...my free time. So is everyone else who plays this game. Please have more respect for our time than sending us on endless scavenger missions for thousands of pieces of resources for an upgrade. It's so mind-numbing I feel drained everytime I play.

2. Introduce more automation
- If I have a Fleet Carrier, and I park outside of a nice mining hot spot, why can't I put hire pilot's to use MY SHIPS to mine nearby? You could have them operate similar to the NPCs who fly in and collect amidst players anyway. If that's too much of a hassle, then just "pretend" that's what they're doing and charge players a commissioning fee for hiring a pilot, do a simple spreadsheet transaction for the operation, add a timer, and treat it like a game of DnD. Depending on the security level of the area there's a % chance the mining ship fails and is killed or comes back empty handed. Done. People would accept this and there would be more incentive to make hot spots safer for miners by increasing the security. Obviously outside the bubble this wouldn't be an issue. A timer would allow all those players with jobs to set it before going to work, and by the time we get home we have a cargo full of mined resources ready to jump back to the bubble and sell. Does this mean people will be playing by "not" playing. Yes, but that's what you want. You want to occupy their thoughts rent free while they're at work. That's what keeps them coming back. They need to feel like they're accomplishing something even while they're doing other things.

Apply this logic to hiring NPCs to collect engineering resources as well. Anything to cut down on the grind...seriously, can't stress this enough.

P.S. - Should be possible even without Fleet Carrier. Hire pilots within stations to execute missions for you. Make it a statistic if need be. Roll a dice and success or fail depends on the quality of pilot hired, security of the systems involved, and how upgraded the ship is they are borrowing. If they fail, have it come back damaged, but not destroyed. You want people to use this system, not hate it completely.

3. Improve multiplayer
- Ok, so really confused how, despite so many successful multiplayer games on the market you guys can't find any inspiration to make this better. I mean, the interfacing in multiplayer is mediocre at best. I've seen comments on adding an area mic feature so people can RP pirates a little better, sounds great, you should do that. I've seen suggestions to add an auto jump feature with squadron. Yep, that should be a feature. I don't play much mutliplayer in this game because there's little incentive for me to do so, plus it's really difficult to lock down a time which I know I will be playing, much less when my buddies will be playing simultaneously. So, any improvements to make it more tantilizing might convince me to try this aspect a little more.

4. VR
- This is the future of gaming. You must, I repeat: MUST NOT abandon this. Read the title..."Innovate or die". The game that succeeds in making a totally immersive experience (i.e. - "Ready Player 1"), will be record breaking in terms of most interest among gamers. Because it is all about escape. The better the escape the more people will flock to it. VR is the stepping stone and first major step towards that, giving up on that is pairing yourself with 3rd and 4th generation consoles destined for a computer salvage store or landfill. Not retro enough to be collectible, but not innovative enough to be ground breaking.

I've said my piece. Please comment, I love to read 'em. As always, fly safe commanders! And see you in the black. o7
Great points!

I wish they would cut out the grind and replace it will story missions - they do it with the new tutorials, so why not in the game.

Of course, hopefully they won't do what NMS does with Expeditions by making them only available for a limited time - better to be able to do them over with friends anytime.

If I applied powerlevelling principle to the on foot and ship grinds. It would still take about 2 weeks to unlock sufficient engineers collect sufficient mats to complete one or 2 ships a suit and a wep all g5 with mods buffed weps etc.
Point is this...
There is no point...there's no grind only the playing of the game as intended.
It can be grinded to the max = burnout dissolutionment.
So don't do it! Just focus on one thing at a time and you'll find your sidetracked almost immediately.
Grinding isn't gaming it never has been. A short circuit to endgame which of course elite doesn't have.
I admit I did grind alot. Because l wanted certain things quickly.
No regrets I'm glad l did grind.
Am l grinding now? No. Not because l don't need too. Theres always something new to want, it's more like I don't want to anymore. So l just play as intended. Multitasking as l go which results in various things going up like rank mats etc.
Base building is coming. Makes sense what with settlement defence plans etc.
Our own ships based There perhaps. Even engineering new ones from the base.
That's how it'll go..Once the on foot plant life has been exterminated.
Fdev do need to do more. Quite what well that's upto them. Bases on foot goids grappling hook who knows..

There is a lot of gamers that expect Elite to have a end-game. "What is the goal?". There is no goal, there is no finish line. You will not see a video on how to beat the game in 3 hours. The 2 hour adrenaline rush some expect is not there. The game is a simulation of a life in a future world where we live our lives above planet surface. It is about creating communities, fly alone to the other side of the galaxy, trade, fight or whatever you want to do. It is about epic battles between the Powers, with dedicated communities fighting the war. And the thargoids, are they good or bad? It is your choice, fight, flight or stay to make new friends? You can trade or mine, it is all the hunt for the profit. You can have that adrenaline rush in conflict zones, but that is a very small part of the game.

When it comes to stability I'm sort of out of that debate. I had a lot of struggles with the game until I got assistance from support to dive in to the problem. It turned out to be my firewall causing all the problems.
But I come back to this world over and over. I'm not afraid of the grind, that is an essential part. The small goals you set for yourself to build that perfect suit, weapon, ship etc. The satisfaction you feel when you test that build and feel how it fulfills the expectations. I have online friends I've never met. But we chat, we fly, we build that community. We fight, trade, mine or whatever we want to do, and we explore the galaxy together - or alone. It is our choice.
There are many YouTube, and other, videos, third party websites and tools about how to beat everything in elite...

In life it's, usually, about the destination and not the journey.

In ED, it's definitely about the journey...

Base building is coming. Makes sense what with settlement defence plans etc.
THAT is what Frontier needed to give instead of this new Odyssey crap.
Elite Dangerous is NOT a FPS and using the same "engine balance" as ship RNG to copy for a shooter RNG was just mocking the FPS world. It doesn't take 3x 30 round clips to kill someone (exaggerating of course but any modern FPS gamer understands this).
Anyway, face it, ED is all about and has always been all about space flight life in terms of a Sandbox Setting or open world, so to speak. These games have no endings or finish lines to reach.
Thrills and rewards can be looked at as what you get for a grind, right? "shrug"

Now small touches such as this Base Building idea, not limited to, is a very good way to stay close to the core foundation of Elite, faster for Devs to create small touches instead of HUGE DLCs that fail but still give some diversity to the game at the same time. Just with that one touch players could immerse themselves into a place that they own or only know about thus giving thrill seekers a new incentive to go out and try to find other players bases. This could also be used as a type of way to get PvP action back into the game instead of CZ or player versus NPC's.
(Obviously more detailed than how I just put it, but you get the point).
Odyssey is here and it's not going away so maybe Frontier Development can pull off a quick turn and stabilize the titles interest if not increase its popularity.

I would just assume see Elite pull ahead in the ratings again than call it old and die off. I've been here since day one of the vanilla and despite Odysseys failure I still love the title and it is still only 1 of 2 games that I play on this machine. 8,800+ hour of casual play. I really don't want to stop.
Who knows, thus try to suggest things and maybe after seeing Odysseys failure Frontier might listen, learn, and turn back toward Elites core foundation. :)

Don't forget to fuel your ship... o7

Looking at all time daily players, it appears we have the same amount of consistent players as the game has enjoyed throughout its lifespan.

If you don’t cherry-pick the Odyssey spike, the Steam charts show no significant decline.
Not to mention that not everyone is on Steam. I still use the Standalone Launcher.
And while i was not active in-game, i was still following the Story or bought a Skin in the Shop every once in a while.

But to OP:
Cut out the Grind: Yes. There is good grind and there is bad grind. Odyssey is bad. We do have a very small capacity and usable materials are mixed with those we can only sell.
This is really bad and needs a rework. Sort the Engineer-Materials in a new List so that we dont have to check third party tools to know what we can keep and what is just wasted space.

Reduce the cost of Ships though...no. Ships are already much faster to earn than they were during the early days. You can earn an Anaconda in a few hours with a new Commander (and im not talking about the free one you get at Hutton Orbital).
Even with 1-2h a day the Ships are fast enough to earn. I mean seriously, i make 4M in a single on-foot Combat Zone. Back when i started, i could only dream about that amount. Do you have any idea how many Slaves i hauled?
If you think this is boring...then maybe E:D is not the Game for you. There are enough other Games out there.

Engineering could be improved, yes, but its not so bad. No one forces you to wait until you have a Ship at 100%. G3 is perfectly reachable by just playing Content without farming for it.

Automation...well...this is not X where we build our own Corporation. Automation was never an intended part of Elite.
A bit of Automation in form of Fleet Carriers though could be neat. Player Markets are not a thing because its so much easier to sell the Material yourself with higher profit.
But if our Fleet Carriers "buy list" would be filled by NPCs too? That would be neat.
If we could sell Engineered Modules? Engineering Materials? That could work too.
But Automation where we passively earn Credits? No.

Area Mic: Sure, could be neat, but it needs to have an Option to be disabled. Those features can be easily abused to strike someone on Twitch for example.

VR: While i would love Odyssey in VR...i understand the difficulty behind it. Improved VR Support overall would be great though, especially the Map is just painful to handle for me.

If we could sell Engineered Modules? Engineering Materials? That could work too.
This feature is included with Odyssey mats so YES, they really should have included this ability to sell Horizon mats as well.
Very nice eyes on point there as I never caught that, as a Vet of Elite I should have.
VR: While i would love Odyssey in VR...i understand the difficulty behind it. Improved VR Support overall would be great though, especially the Map is just painful to handle for me.
I don't have VR and I have no idea how many do but I do know how difficult VR code is and resources needed BUT if the core foundation of Elite supports VR all DLC should be VR compliant. (just as a mutual rule of respect for players with products out there)
(and im not talking about the free one you get at Hutton Orbital).
LMAO, it's very entertaining that this statement is still out there. Never gets old.... LOL

All being said you bring a very good amount of information and ideas with your post.... o7 Commander

Last edited:
This feature is included with Odyssey mats so YES, they really should have included this ability to sell Horizon mats as well.
Very nice eyes on point there as I never caught that, as a Vet of Elite I should have.
It is? Hey, seems like i missed that. When was it added? Let me guess, its one of the new Carrier Modules?

I don't have VR and I have no idea how many do but I do know how difficult VR code is and resources needed BUT if the core foundation of Elite supports VR all DLC should be VR compliant. (just as a mutual rule of respect for players with products out there)
Honestly, i would be fine with just Head-Rotation. I dont even want Full-Body support. Just Rotation would be enough.
Full Head Tracking again could be potentially abusable. Like how we can detach our head inside the cockpit already. Its not hurting anyone, but it is technically not intended.

LMAO, it's very entertaining that this statement is still out there. Never gets old.... LOL
Keep the Tradition alive, eh? Everyone needs to make that Journey one day ;)

All being said you bring a very good amount of information and ideas with your post.... o7 Commander

Not to mention that not everyone is on Steam. I still use the Standalone Launcher.
And while i was not active in-game, i was still following the Story or bought a Skin in the Shop every once in a while.

But to OP:
Cut out the Grind: Yes. There is good grind and there is bad grind. Odyssey is bad. We do have a very small capacity and usable materials are mixed with those we can only sell.
This is really bad and needs a rework. Sort the Engineer-Materials in a new List so that we dont have to check third party tools to know what we can keep and what is just wasted space.

Reduce the cost of Ships though...no. Ships are already much faster to earn than they were during the early days. You can earn an Anaconda in a few hours with a new Commander (and im not talking about the free one you get at Hutton Orbital).
Even with 1-2h a day the Ships are fast enough to earn. I mean seriously, i make 4M in a single on-foot Combat Zone. Back when i started, i could only dream about that amount. Do you have any idea how many Slaves i hauled?
If you think this is boring...then maybe E:D is not the Game for you. There are enough other Games out there.

Engineering could be improved, yes, but its not so bad. No one forces you to wait until you have a Ship at 100%. G3 is perfectly reachable by just playing Content without farming for it.

Automation...well...this is not X where we build our own Corporation. Automation was never an intended part of Elite.
A bit of Automation in form of Fleet Carriers though could be neat. Player Markets are not a thing because its so much easier to sell the Material yourself with higher profit.
But if our Fleet Carriers "buy list" would be filled by NPCs too? That would be neat.
But Automation where we passively earn Credits? No.

Area Mic: Sure, could be neat, but it needs to have an Option to be disabled. Those features can be easily abused to strike someone on Twitch for example.

"im not talking about the free one you get at Hutton Orbital" 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Do any suggestions ever get used? I feel like posting anything here is just like screaming into a bottomless pit?
It's very hard to say. Certainly things suggested here have ended up in-game later, or things solving the same problem in another way have. And for the forums more generally, I've had really obscure bugs that I mentioned once tens of pages into an obscure thread and nowhere else fixed fairly quickly on a couple of occasions. They certainly read a lot more than it might appear.

On the other hand, you can almost never prove that Frontier didn't also see the problem mentioned elsewhere, or thought of it as a feature themselves, for any specific instance - and there's certainly not a lot to indicate that the Suggestions forum specifically is any better than anywhere else on the forum for this sort of thing, as long as you're posting somewhere reasonably on-topic.

Normal Caveats for reliability of Steam Charts data... Here's a quick and dirty chart based on the data posted by OP.
View attachment 313856

The spike from October of 2020 to April of 2021 is best explained by the launch of Odyssey. Likewise the dramatic drop is as clear an indicator of Odyssey's success as can be. What you're left with is a relatively solid core demographic that keeps chugging along. If steam charts don't lie, the message isn't innovate or die, its don't screw up something people already like. As much as I dislike grind as a content substitute, you've got 7 years of data showing a player-base that's basically made peace with it. Also, careful about any sort of automation talk. "They" are positively allergic to even the idea that automation exists. Must be something to do with an AI uprising in Elite's past.
To be honest that just shows that during lockdowns loads of people were playing EDH or EDO heck they could have been sitting there gibbering insanely with the launcher open it doesnt actually specify what they were doing, the fall could equally be down to people returning to work after remote work has slowly been discouraged in some prefessions.

To be honest that just shows that during lockdowns loads of people were playing EDH or EDO heck they could have been sitting there gibbering insanely with the launcher open it doesn't actually specify what they were doing, the fall could equally be down to people returning to work after remote work has slowly been discouraged in some professions.
The data starts April of 2015, and the floor is pretty consistent excepting April 2020 to April of 2021.
US/UK were substantially locked down beginning April of 2020.
Odyssey launch date was May 2021.
Freedom from lockdowns was/is regionally variable, but mid 2021 is a reasonable timeframe for "most" western regions.

I don't know that you can meaningfully disentangle player behavior between 2020-4 and 2021-4, but the post 2021-04 behavior clearly shows EDO failed to grow the player base on the Steam platform. I don't have the time at the moment to dig up the post from another threat, but Frontier's financial accounting treatment of Odyssey pretty clearly indicates Odyssey was a cluster-#$%!.

I suppose you could chock it all up to Covid, but a quick canvassing of other games on the steam platform doesn't indicate much of a player behavior change during that period. It may be that some of the fall could be down to people returning to work, but I'd be pretty skeptical that that's a material factor.

In any event, OP was claiming Steam Charts proved out doom for ED. I think the most likely conclusion the available data shows is ED fans continue to like ED, warts and all.

It is? Hey, seems like i missed that. When was it added? Let me guess, its one of the new Carrier Modules?
The new Odyssey mats can be traded, of course, and sold at the bartender I believe, but sadly I wish the same could be said for Horizons mats as they can only be traded. :( Maybe here in the future Frontier might change that so we can sell Horizon mats too. Who knows. "shrug" o7

Someone please correct me if this is incorrect information.

Edit: Ok, ya, you can sell them at bartenders for credits.... o7

Last edited:
Top Bottom