Need more awareness of community goal signup requirement

Buried in the game? It's right there above the rest of the missions on the mission board... I'm pretty certain it states the requirement to sign up right there, and has a button to do so. You can sign up at any station that has a mission board now too and not have to wait until you arrive at the required destination.

Its on the mission description right here on these very forums "To be eligible for rewards you must sign up as an active participant before handing in Combat Bonds at the Iron Wings of Justice megaship in the HIP 54530 system."

The very first sticky here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/forums/elite-dangerous-community-goals/

Not sure how it could be more clear it needs to be.
It took me a month to realize there were missions. You start in a station and you see "launch". Once I realized there were factions and reputation, I kicked myself for just res farming without taking missions. I had wondered what the audible notices were about. I didn't even know I could jump to other systems. The tutorial was shooting and docking back then.

The game leaves you to wander about aimlessly. It's what I find attractive about it. The factions don't seem aware either but then they don't even know about Thargoids in systems overrun with them.

I've read the complaint here before. Must be something to it.

Deleted member 182079

D
Do you also get those replies, after spending so much time on the email that simply say?

Thank U

sent from iPad

God that annoys me. Any time I see sent from my iPad at the bottom of an email, I brace myself for a hardy battle.
Thankfully not, but if I did that would eject them from the distribution list:p

Wow.

Just Wow.

I clearly said: "I did click on the Community Goals section of Missions while I was on the Iron Wings of Justice, but didn't see anything." That means THERE WAS NOTHING THERE TO READ OR CLICK ON.

Can YOU not read?

Clicking on the "press release" for the community goal from the Frontier game launcher takes you to https://community.elitedangerous.com/galnet/uid/60252b064e707677596ab347 . That post, which I'm pretty sure is written by Frontier, also fails to mention signing up.

I'll be damned if I use these forums again.

Post #22 above carries a screenshot of the actual in-game wording - so really it is more a case of "Wow just Wow" you steadfastly refuse to actually read the thread that you question "Can YOU not read?" about. The rationale of Galnet being worded like an actual press release rather than an image of the mission board entry is not hard to understand.

See for example the current goal Galnet press release:

View attachment 210250

whereas the in-game mission-board text has more info including the sign-up warning:

View attachment 210251
One more time for the cheap seats: When I clicked on the Community Goals section of the Mission Board, I didn't get ANYTHING. I cannot read text if it doesn't get displayed on my screen. I cannot click on a button that isn't on my screen.

Post #22 above carries a screenshot of the actual in-game wording - so really it is more a case of "Wow just Wow" you steadfastly refuse to actually read the thread that you question "Can YOU not read?" about. The rationale of Galnet being worded like an actual press release rather than an image of the mission board entry is not hard to understand.

See for example the current goal Galnet press release:

View attachment 210250

whereas the in-game mission-board text has more info including the sign-up warning:

View attachment 210251
Looks like the scroll bar struck again...

One more time for the cheap seats: When I clicked on the Community Goals section of the Mission Board, I didn't get ANYTHING. I cannot read text if it doesn't get displayed on my screen. I cannot click on a button that isn't on my screen.
Yes you did. Go look now - there is a CG. Then you'll know why you missed it last time. Learning from your mistakes is a good thing.

As Facty has said - check any missions board now and you'll see the current one listed in the community goals tab at the top mate. I'm sure someone will have already said this but you can sign up from any board anywhere.

As a second point, it's possible you had a board error when you first looked. Normally the game tells you if it can't get the mission list from the server, but I wonder if this happened to you and you didn't see the error message. Because of the error, the cg may not have shown up.

In the second case, you can try contacting support and see if they'll back sort you, as they are very kind like that. Aside from these points though, I'm limited on what to suggest to help, as the situation is a bummer for sure.

If you keep getting called a liar in public, are you going to ignore it and not defend yourself? I have been proven wrong? I don't see anyone here posting a video of my screen from that day.

My guess is that Bottom Hat is correct, 3 posts above: I was victim of a transient bug. Since I didn't know that I should expect text to appear in the CG screen, I didn't know I was experiencing a bug, so I didn't know I needed to retry or to fix something, nor did I know to take a screenshot to "prove" my case.

I spent 8 hours fighting for the Silver Legal Group in last week's community goal. The description of the goal didn't indicate I needed to sign up for the goal at the ship. I did click on the Community Goals section of Missions while I was on the Iron Wings of Justice, but didn't see anything. As a result, I didn't get the rewards for turning in 21 million in combat bonds. I only found out about "signing up" by clicking on Community Goals while in Ashby City for this week's goal. Again, the description for this week's goal does not mention signing up. In the future, please make sure the Community Goal description always tells commanders to sign up before delivering goods/bounties/bonds.

Edit: In response to all of the "can't you read?" posts below:

Wow.

Just Wow.

I clearly said: "I did click on the Community Goals section of Missions while I was on the Iron Wings of Justice, but didn't see anything." That means THERE WAS NOTHING THERE TO READ OR CLICK ON.

Can YOU not read?

Clicking on the "press release" for the community goal from the Frontier game launcher takes you to https://community.elitedangerous.com/galnet/uid/60252b064e707677596ab347 . That post, which I'm pretty sure is written by Frontier, also fails to mention signing up.

I'll be damned if I use these forums again.
Don’t feel bad. I made two colonia runs for one of these, without realizing you have to sign up, and recently did the latest HIP 22460 CG, when it first released. I did both the combat and delivery portion and got nothing for the same reason. Then I found out these stupid things require a sign-up and aren’t at all dynamic like every other event in an MMO. Messaged support, saying “hey, I delivered [this much] of this and handed [this many] combat bonds, do you have visibility?” And this amazing support I’ve always heard about, who have been known to restore people’s lost exploration data just didn’t give two craps. No Azimuth paint job. 8 years of Elite on Xbox and PC. I’m done. Haven’t played in two weeks. I care as much as they do. I simply came here for peace of mind that I’m not the only one this has happened to and there are a few of us. Anyway, all I get is flamed for having a Carrier and not knowing about some signup CG website, or whatever...as if deciding to partake in a CG is mutually exclusive with owning a carrier. Literally no other MMO does this. Dismantled my carrier services. Done. It’s amazing how fast I went from “this is the best game” to literally sick to my stomach…no more.

Last edited:
Don’t feel bad. I made two colonia runs for one of these, without realizing you have to sign up, and recently did the latest HIP 22460 CG, when it first released. I did both the combat and delivery portion and got nothing for the same reason. Then I found out these stupid things require a sign-up and aren’t at all dynamic like every other event in an MMO. Messaged support, saying “hey, I delivered [this much] of this and handed [this many] combat bonds, do you have visibility?” And this amazing support I’ve always heard about, who have been known to restore people’s lost exploration data just didn’t give two craps. No Azimuth paint job. 8 years of Elite on Xbox and PC. I’m done. Haven’t played in two weeks. I care as much as they do. I simply came here for peace of mind that I’m not the only one this has happened to and there are a few of us. Anyway, all I get is flamed for having a Carrier and not knowing about some signup CG website, or whatever...as if deciding to partake in a CG is mutually exclusive with owning a carrier. Literally no other MMO does this. Dismantled my carrier services. Done. It’s amazing how fast I went from “this is the best game” to literally sick to my stomach…no more.
I guess forgetting to sign up for a CG, or reading the information available on it, is pretty common for new players.

Thanks for letting us all know you're going.
It looks like you've been here since 2016 but not been able to find the instructions of a CG's.
Hopefully things are a bit more obvious in the next game you play. (y)

Not sure why this needed a necro just for a rage quit, especially when you're talking to the equivalent of an empty chair.
Screenshot_20220806-093531~2.png

Whatever works for you though.

All for a couple of lousy paint jobs too.... 🤷‍♂️
No, more the fact that someone can put that much work into two different CG's, or even fly to Colonia, twice, for a CG and not have known you do not simply just dynamically deliver said item but had to have first signed up. Moreover, you simply cannot just sign up. You have to within a window. So, you can't just get involved in the days, to my understanding. I don't know, because I've never looked for this signup.

Last edited:
Top Bottom