Velocity vector for the HUD

For all I care it could even replace the useless ship hologram.

Hmm, how about a directional arrow that rotates around the ship hologram? Keeps a small amount of clutter off the main bit of the screen, is visible at all times and is near your speed indicator too.

I would love this as well. Please.

o7

(Strangely enough, every time I look at my Christmas tree bobble head, I wish it were a velocity vector. And yes, I like the tree so much that it is on my dashboard all year round.)

Last edited:
Never realy thought about this, but would make sense to add...thank you Dude now I will probably miss it ;-)

Some nice ideas how it could be added! I like the idea to somehow add it to the ship Holo, no extra space needed and it would become somehow usefull for anything else as docking

Yup, let's get on it, FDev. I've been begging for more telemetry in the HUD (and a thorough re-design/re-thinking) of the HUD for a long time now!

I have not heard any arguments against a velocity vector. I am assuming there has been a discussion and resulting decision made by FDev in the past to exclude a velocity vector. Does anyone know what the justification may have been? My online research hasn’t produced any cogent arguments.

OK, so I still can not figure out why there is not a velocity vector. I have found some references that this topic has been debated before but I have not found the debates. I have also seen some references that implied there was some form of velocity vector in the ‘Alfa’ release of the game, but again no explanation for it’s supposed removal. Does anyone have any insight?

OK, so I still can not figure out why there is not a velocity vector. I have found some references that this topic has been debated before but I have not found the debates. I have also seen some references that implied there was some form of velocity vector in the ‘Alfa’ release of the game, but again no explanation for it’s supposed removal. Does anyone have any insight?

No velocity vector in Alpha. The hud has changed very little since the first alpha drop.

No velocity vector in Alpha. The hud has changed very little since the first alpha drop.

Thank you for your response. Just goes to show you how much inaccurate innuendo is out there. Would be nice to hear from Fdev, but I imagine it is virtually impossible to keep up with this forum.

In either case tail sliding into stuff is annoying :D, especially on High-G planets ;) when the meters go to max, and you can't gauge just how "" max is anymore.

So flight vector and orientation vector might be of use.

Also add the missing middle stage of flight assist off, the I-war approach: ships orientation is automatically accounted for, (so you didn't need to un-roll, un-pitch, un-yaw)
But not the vector of the ship, so you still had to get your big engines facing the big vector to decrease it.
I support both of these suggestions and want to add one of my own as well.

There's now a high G warning in the game, but someone thought it'd be better to play that when you depart with the SRV instead of telling you before hand when you're descending, like the point where a too late noticed high G might be the most fatal...

So instead have the high G warning play when you're descending and your vertical velocity exceeds 150% of your ships braking speed in relation to impact time and distance so you still have time to brake.

Also add the missing middle stage of flight assist off, the I-war approach: ships orientation is automatically accounted for, (so you didn't need to un-roll, un-pitch, un-yaw)
But not the vector of the ship, so you still had to get your big engines facing the big vector to decrease it.
I had a similar suggestion.

Top Bottom