The Star Citizen Thread V10

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
cbs3aHj.jpg

A blast from the past.
Out of $300 million raised CIG claim $250 million would go to development.

In the Traditional PC Model 1/5th of the box price goes towards development so for $250 million to be spent on development would require a publisher to forecast sales of 20.8 million copies ($1.25 billion in sales).

But as CIG are years from completing the "Vision" assume they need another $200 million, which would bring total development costs to $450 million, requiring sales of 37.5 million copies ($2.25 billion in sales).

After 6 1/2 years they have around 1.1 million backers.
It’s all by the by if it’s not your money though.

cbs3aHj.jpg

A blast from the past.
Out of $300 million raised CIG claim $250 million would go to development.

In the Traditional PC Model 1/5th of the box price goes towards development so for $250 million to be spent on development would require a publisher to forecast sales of 20.8 million copies ($1.25 billion in sales).

But as CIG are years from completing the "Vision" assume they need another $200 million, which would bring total development costs to $450 million, requiring sales of 37.5 million copies ($2.25 billion in sales).

After 6 1/2 years they have around 1.1 million backers.

Or, looking at it another way, if CIG have already spent in the region of 250 million on development, then by their clames, using the traditional model, they would have already spent 1.25 BILLION!!! and still not shipped a game!

Well, at least it is open only :p

We actually have combat loggers now.
I'm playing as a semi-lawful bounty hunter this patch, and I'm beginning to understand how gankers get a bad name.
Some guys will do anything to avoid a straight up fight.
And some just unabashedly exploit.
I had a couple EMP exploiters nail my Connie with a new build I was testing last night.
I had the last laugh when they found me again in my Gladius.

The thing I love doing most in that game is fighting alone against groups of players.

I'm playing as a semi-lawful bounty hunter this patch, and I'm beginning to understand how gankers get a bad name.
I had a couple EMP exploiters nail my Connie with a new build I was testing last night.

The thing I love doing most in that game is fighting alone against groups of players.
Taking names and breaking hearts,like it,like it.

regardless if its the "right" or "wrong" way to start (always distracting from the actual problem and making it the users fault) it demonstrates how bad SCs flight model currently is by resulting in absolutely unrealistic manouvers and failing to provide a sense of mass or acceleration.

"Those aint the problem dude, you are just doing it wrong!"

....yeah.....
To be more than fair to the commentary of eejits judging or adding their own tuppence after watching that video...I'd never take anything an FPS mouse/keyboard player told me about how a flight model should work ;)

The new flight model is way better than it has been previously in SC...but it's still entirely catered toward FPS players who insist on reading from google about thruster outputs whilst they're wiggling their rodents and dreaming about Ace Combat 7 type of realism. Being a long term flight sim and E-D player, I'm still surprised by the sheer amount of players in SC who are baffled when I mention flying using a HOTAS..."Oh I wanted to try one of them once but I couldn't work out the buttons."

I've mentioned before...but folks I've met in ship to ship PvP scenarios in SC are all mouse and keyboard lateral..circle strafing around in 2 dimensions and simply don't or can't understand 6 DoF flying. They don't understand how thrusters work for the most part since they're translating or trying to interpret FPS character movements into ships and are either uncontrollably side slipping with too much digital input through key presses instead of analogue control. Easy targets for anyone who's ever flown with a HOTAS or played E-D. There are very few virtual 'pilots' flying ships in SC...they are for the most part FPS players trying to control ships like they do their FPS characters... and I'm having lovely time making them explode :)

The only decent scrap I've had recently was from a long term E-D player flying with a HOTAS in SC... it was nice trying to shoot someone down who knew how to fly rather than complain that the ships feel funny.

As Auntie mentioned, the cockpits and HUDs in SC are completely full of either the wrong information, cluttered beyond belief or your peripheral vision is blocked by duplicate information on badly placed and mostly useless and unreadable MFD's or roofs on cockpits. Ci¬G know this and are having a serious look at improving it at some point judging by recent comments from the Ui team. We'll see.

Anyway, the flight model is better...more noticeable in the larger ships which nobody likes now...no turrets in space gameplay from them so everyone is flying around in the small fighters where that's almost still possible. Remember the first time you ever flew an Anaconda or a T9? Big ships feel very similar in SC now and wouldn't feel too strange to any E-D player...now if only Ci¬G would sort the bloody control sets out and ditch this kiddie FPS biased ship control set nonsense..we'd be laughing.

And Zaphod...the Gladius? I've shot a few hopeful Henry's down in my Starfarer Gemini, solo with no turret crews. Almost as good as my T10 combat-cow in E-D :)...But that EMP nonsense, Ci¬G need to ditch that crap and soon.

Last edited:

Oh well, it was bound to happen sooner or later.

Oh they are gonna HATE it when death of spaceman is one day, hopefully, maybe implemented.

Ok, 10 combat loggings and 3 deaths due to poor landings and shot in the face once after trying to steal a ship, you now have to create a descendant to take over your belongings...and all reputations towards factions drop 10-20% because they have no idea who the heck you are now.

Oh they are gonna HATE it when death of spaceman is one day, hopefully, maybe implemented.

Ok, 10 combat loggings and 3 deaths due to poor landings and shot in the face once after trying to steal a ship, you now have to create a descendant to take over your belongings...and all reputations towards factions drop 10-20% because they have no idea who the heck you are now.

Yeah, depending on how they implement it, it might get a lot of hate from the proles.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom