Re: Super Assisted Death

Hi cmdrs

Well then. After yesterday's fiasco with the cat jumping on my keyboard and causing my python to crash into something while I popped out to help the misses I hoped I wouldn't have such a tragedy any time soon... Oh I spoke to soon

Super cruise assist.. A handy feature. I pointed at the hub about 3,000ls away and started to accelerate into the blue zone. While I'm heading towards the station I get on my phone and check out where I'm going to get some cryolite from once I've sold all the goodies inside. Super cruise ejected me straight outside the station giving me zero time.. I was moving my hands to hit the X button to kill speed when I hit the station and blew up.. . Great.. Rebuy.. So I'm now at another station. I head out to another station and this time before dropping out of Super cruise I manually drop out myself and upon arriving at the entrance to the hub a krait drops out of hyperspace and can't turn quick enough and knocks me sideways and because I'm running no shields I blow up... Rebuy.. They say things come in threes. I had out again and I'm like 8,000,000 or so skinter.. I use the supercruise assist and this time I'm ejected out of cruise at such speed that I actually fly through the station and pop out the other side in about....... . 5 of a second.. I think phew that was lucky so I turn around and head to entrance and I just blow up like I've had a delayed shock to passing through the entire station in a blink of an eye.

Needless to say I'm about to throw my pc out of the window..

What thad gone wrong. Have I just encountered a series of bugs or could something else be the cause. I notice my keyboard locking up a few times entering the chat window. I've not had that bug for a long while

Thanks moderator for removing my grumps lol

Last edited:
I wonder how many appeals FDev have heard over the years which started, "I was doing xxx then the cat jumped on the keyboard - can you restore my explo data and refund my rebuy?" :D

BTW one of our old cats (sadly no longer with us) had an un-nerving habit if I was on the PC or laptop of laying his big belly across my right hand pinning it to the mouse mat, until you attended to whatever he wanted. Usually a big chunk of chicken off yesterday's roast out of the fridge.

A paper ship - that's entirely your own fault. There is no reason to build a ship that doesn't survive an accidental crash
I disagree. I've been flying without shields since day 1 as I don't do combat and I've never had a crash. A few scrapes and repair damage. This was an unusual set of events in one session. SCA bugs or gremlins.. I'm going to say gremlins. I can see spike sitting on the the ledge to the space station laughing uncontrollabley.

I will of course start putting shields on but the very lightest. My python is max cargo. Now I know the gremlins are around I just pray they don't find a water planet

I wonder how many appeals FDev have heard over the years which started, "I was doing xxx then the cat jumped on the keyboard - can you restore my explo data and refund my rebuy?" :D

BTW one of our old cats (sadly no longer with us) had an un-nerving habit if I was on the PC or laptop of laying his big belly across my right hand pinning it to the mouse mat, until you attended to whatever he wanted. Usually a big chunk of chicken off yesterday's roast out of the fridge.
I have 7 cats and I've been lucky until this event.. Never AFK without first docking lol

Hi cmdrs

Well then. After yesterday's fiasco with the cat jumping on my keyboard and causing my python to crash into something while I popped out to help the misses I hoped I wouldn't have such a tragedy any time soon... Oh I spoke to soon

Super cruise assist.. A handy feature. I pointed at the hub about 3,000ls away and started to accelerate into the blue zone. While I'm heading towards the station I get on my phone and check out where I'm going to get some cryolite from once I've sold all the goodies inside. Super cruise ejected me straight outside the station giving me zero time.. I was moving my hands to hit the X button to kill speed when I hit the station and blew up.. . Great.. Rebuy.. So I'm now at another station. I head out to another station and this time before dropping out of Super cruise I manually drop out myself and upon arriving at the entrance to the hub a krait drops out of hyperspace and can't turn quick enough and knocks me sideways and because I'm running no shields I blow up... Rebuy.. They say things come in threes. I had out again and I'm like 8,000,000 or so skinter.. I use the supercruise assist and this time I'm ejected out of cruise at such speed that I actually fly through the station and pop out the other side in about....... . 5 of a second.. I think phew that was lucky so I turn around and head to entrance and I just blow up like I've had a delayed shock to passing through the entire station in a blink of an eye.

Needless to say I'm about to throw my pc out of the window..

What thad gone wrong. Have I just encountered a series of bugs or could something else be the cause. I notice my keyboard locking up a few times entering the chat window. I've not had that big for a long while
Is the drop-out in any way different than when you trigger it manually? I can't imagine it is.

Three rebuys, that were caused by a lack of preparation, speak for themselves. You would lose 20 tons, by adding a reinforced 4A shield and a 2d hull reinforcement. Heavy duty on that and the armour and you have 1k absolute hull and 500 mj.

Last edited:
Shields should have been a core module, just like hull. Hmm, I could have sworn the original Elite manual mentioned something about Shields being not just combat equipment but also to fend off space debris. But it doesn't. Although it should! Lol.

Personally I never fly without reasonable shields - personal headcanon is that space is full of minor debris, hitting even the tiniest bit at some speed (yes, I know all about Supercruise not moving you through realspace at >C) is still going to do some damage.

Min-maxing is so being a Munchkin.

Deleted member 38366

D
Hm, that "Station passage" which I haven't seen in a loooooooong time sounds like an ultra old bug - but that was fixed years ago...
During my own tests it didn't drop me out 100m from the Station but the usual 10km. Plenty of time.

If you observed anything different than the typical 8-10km dropout, definitely file a Bug Report.

PS.
Equip somewhat high-grade Shields and you'll basically never face such instant Rebuys.

Three rebuys, that were caused by a lack of preparation, speak for themselves. You would lose less than 20 tons, by adding a reinforced 4A shield and a 2d hull reinforcement. Heavy duty on that and the armour and you have 1k absolute hull and 500 mj.
I'm sorry to be a bit grated by your reply. I've successfully played elite dangerous since day 1 without shields and have never encountered an evening like the one I just have. I will be putting the bare minimum shields in now but poor preparation it is not. I've encountered strange things within the game but none like this.

Is the drop-out in any way different than when you trigger it manually? I can't imagine it is.
This is a one off event. I am putting shields into my build now incase it happens again. Manual drop out were never an issue or sca dropout until yesterday.

Hm, that "Station passage" which I haven't seen in a loooooooong time sounds like an ultra old bug - but that was fixed years ago...
During my own tests it didn't drop me out 100m from the Station but the usual 10km. Plenty of time.
I did (once) recently manage to get it to drop me out in the station - which of course immediately fined me because I hadn't requested landing permission. I think that was when I was trying out the 'engage SC at 00:03' functionality, which I find a bit hit-or-miss, so I haven't seen it again.

As fdev stated clearly, SC-assist and Advanced DC are flight assists, they aren't supposed to be AFK bots. I more regularly find SC-assist trying to fly places through planets which have gotten in the way, but that's fine, as I have no cats ;)

Sorry, if I sound condescending, but poor preparation entails for me that you cannot allow yourself any mistake, without paying massively for it. I'm running 4k+ hull on my corvette, just for the sake of making mistakes and still getting away.
All rebuys you listed were caused either by flying a paper plane or bad situational awareness and maybe a bug, that I've never encountered.

Top Bottom