As an LEP owner, what are both your expectations from the game going forward and what you'd hope for it?

I really just started compared to most of you, with that said I am disappointed in the Lifeforms. The relics site that has the towers spring out of the game is pretty awesome to watch and they seem to be pointing you in a direction(Not sure) but the lifeforms are no different than the geographical structures really - no movement, very primitive and just boring. I's like to go out in my crater buggy collecting mats and come back to the ship being covered in some lifeform that I have to rescue it from lol.
Just saying.

expectations lead to disappointment, disappointment leads to anger, anger leads to hate!

i've been enjoying this thread like a rollercoaster; a lot of hopes and grievances. looks like things are much worse than i thought... i got the CMDR package because i thought it was the equivalent of "GOTY" but i thought wrong my game is incomplete... it's missing all the outfits and paintjobs. i suppose LEP is true GOTY? either way i don't believe they're catering to the player base. if half the players aren't scared off by the learning curve, a portion of the half that can learn are disgusted when they learn about the micro-transactions for vanilla content. that only leaves a small group with expendable income and die-hards to enjoy, or tolerate the game.

i see QoL thrown around a lot but seems misguided when you're still forced to pay $ for something obviously only worth CR. i'd understand if they designed luxury ship variants but that's not the case, what does exist is hardly fair to the end user. clearly more effort was spent fabricating a paywall than the actual content. so instead of paying it forward and harboring good will and faith (the stuff overwhelmingly positive reviews are made of) they essentially boxed themselves in a corner, to a fraction of an already niche group of players. likely stunting their own growth to the snail pace you're all experiencing. and now there's hackers? customizing colors that FD said couldn't be done. how long till the entire galaxy is discovered by "L337 H4X0R5"? ...maybe this game deserves it? maybe it's maybelline.

sorry if i took the scenic route to tell you what you prolly already know. on another note base building sounds great, but what exactly does that entail? will a popular place in the galaxy be a trailer park littered with bases, and can they be attacked / destroyed by other players? would it be better to just "sponsor" existing bases to get perks like storage and whatnot? space legs are obviously a logical "next step"; otherwise it's a waste of a perfectly good character generator! i do fear for the VR community... extravehicular activity might not fair well in VR

if derailed the thread i apologize if it was... unwarranted... or a let down... that cheapened the experience. not completely on topic.

Frontier have delivered (pretty much) what they actually said they would, but they painted a much bigger panorama when this whole thing started and over the years they have misled by their reticence.

well, tbh the writing was on the wall a few updates after planetary landings, which indeed was a shocker but also the end of that road. while they have been deliberately ambiguous about elite's future, they have been completely clear about their new business model, and it has been published in fancy letters every year since. some people just prefer to stick to the fantasy that elite:dangerous is somehow special in this picture. which it possibly still is, but business is business.

Thanks for the replies and your opinions and perspectives so far. Naturally I might not share all the same ones, but it's still interesting to see how others approach the game and what they might want from it.

I hope they dont offer you guys anything that they wont also offer to the people who never had the chance to buy it.
I think they should give ya'll a store voucher and dust their hands clean of you, honestly.

Regarding your first point, I agree and I'm not looking for exclusive access to game content, really just hoping for the expansion content and game potential I pre-paid for with the LEP. I'd like if it were available to everyone else and those with other non-LEP accounts through both general game updates and as "premium" expansions that can be purchased. That's not to say that I think others should have to buy them to keep up and the like, but rather because the quality and scale of the content I'd like to see added to the game would warrant its purchase and further the viability and success of the game.

I'm not really sure what all I actually expect in this regard a few years on as it is now since the release of Horizons, but naturally hope for the best, which I realize is somewhat subjective, beyond at least some of the earlier planned features for the game Frontier has mentioned in the past.

Regarding your second point, while it would be something, it's not what I'm hoping for nor what I expected when I bought the LEP. Outside of the base game and expansions with the LEP, I've also spent a fair bit more on cosmetics and the like already, setting up ships with aesthetic themes to seemingly better match my intended roles using them. Beyond that there's not much I'd be interested in, even at no additional cost. Maybe some mugs or books or something.

Are you sure its just not general uphappiness with the game itself (whatever it may be)?

I used to throw money at the cosmetics, all checks of value out the window, until it was my turn.. to my personal measure frontier did something to the game that genuinely i thought was too bad. It was only at that point i became aware of how much money id spent on it and it went from 'i love frontier' to 'what the hell'.

While frontier are in their rights to work to their schedule, there was an impression of schedule and therefore amount of content around the time LEP's were sold so they should at least extend goodwill for not keeping it.. maybe a monthly credit for ship skins in compensation, something like that.. EDIT: You know.. so as to not act like a stereotypical evil big game publisher....

There are aspects of the game I don't care as much for, like the conflicts between the general gameplay progression meta (requiring various, often conflicting allegiances, play style approaches, etc.) and how I care to see my Commander's roles within the context of the game setting, and having to park my ships and use the FSS to still effectively go exploring while looking for more interesting types of systems instead of being able to target unidentified world signals and go to them piloting my ships to discover them and see what they are in person (as it where). There are other aspects to the game or ways of playing it that I don't care for so much, but they're generally more easy to avoid and are less compulsory with getting on to those aspects of the game I do enjoys.

For me at least that's mostly neither here nor there for what I was hoping to discuss in this thread, though along with my hopes for content expansions, having more and varied ways of accomplishing some of these things and interacting with the game would also be appealing to me.

Last edited:
I'm afraid at this point my expectations is we will get a new feature like Space Legs and very few people end up liking it including those that asked for it.

Whatever way you want to look at it the LEP pass at one point was selling for a lot on money £120-ish if memory serves, that's basically 3 AAA games at near full retail price for a game that is not pay2play. That's going to be quite tough for Frontier to square even if they wrapped up ED and released a sequel you'd still be carry that around.

However Frontier announced the "New era".

This expression is strong and in general a change of era in the majority of the domains always has a significant impact.

I believe that this "New era" expression and the significant development time in progress will prohibit Frontier from tarnishing its reputation as a company with the purpose of becoming one of the major actors in the gaming industry in the years to come.

Frontier will lose much of its notoriety if at the end of 1 year and a half (minimum) of development on the "New era", the result would be like amateurism and the neglected work.

Last edited:
well, tbh the writing was on the wall a few updates after planetary landings, which indeed was a shocker but also the end of that road. while they have been deliberately ambiguous about elite's future, they have been completely clear about their new business model, and it has been published in fancy letters every year since. some people just prefer to stick to the fantasy that elite:dangerous is somehow special in this picture. which it possibly still is, but business is business.

AFAIK the only thing they've actually been completely clear about re their business model is that they aren't doing seasons anymore not sure how that was writing on the wall for atmospheres?

If you're suggesting they've picked legs because it'll allow them to sell more cosmetics then good luck to them. It'll be a bit of a sugar rush early on but unless they absolutely knock it out of the park with the new game play - so it's actually as good as the other great FPS titles out there - the novelty will wear off pretty quick. People won't keep coming back to the game for that part of it.

I guess I just don't get the enthusiasm for legs, any time I see vids of SC or even NMS, the walking around bit's look like the dullest part of the game.

"Yay!", let me get out of my really cool spaceship so I can walk over here...trundle...trundle...trundle...............trundle and interact with this really cool terminal.... press button....then walk back to my ship...trundle...trundle...trundle...............trundle and get back in my seat. WOOO! my chair SPINS AROUND!!!! check that out!!!!

• Like (+1)
Reactions: EUS
Sadly, what I expect is that Frontier will continue to squander the incredible enthusiasm and support that accompanied the ‘birth’ of Elite: Dangerous.

well, it was instrumental, along with planet coaster, in catapulting frontier in the stock market, which is something. david braben has done some amazing stuff but seems to have accepted to be remembered as another local mogul in the mass entertainment industry to save his company and employees. who are we to judge?

well, it was instrumental, along with planet coaster, in catapulting frontier in the stock market, which is something. david braben has done some amazing stuff but seems to have accepted to be remembered as another local mogul in the mass entertainment industry to save his company and employees. who are we to judge?
I’d agree that Frontier have done very nicely out of ED and its other franchises, David’s business acumen is not in question. What is in question is whether the claims made for ED over the years have been achieved or look like they are going to be achieved. From the customer side, Frontier’s record with ED is .... variable.

Sadly, what I expect is that Frontier will continue to squander the incredible enthusiasm and support that accompanied the ‘birth’ of Elite: Dangerous.

Yeah i know. Fascinating how the goodwill is probably the majority component of what is keeping elite at the levels that it is today yet when it comes to game features or customer relations (not support, they're brilliant) frontier do nothing but send signs that they don't want us and we shouldn't be here.

Makes me think of Anthem:

Barebones skeleton game: Anthem, Elite Dangerous.
Well refined gameplay loops: Anthem, Elite Dangerous.
Microtransactions to skim off the top: Anthem, Elite Dangerous.
Fluid Roadmaps to fill the gaps: Anthem, Elite Dangerous.

The only difference is Anthem got burned to the ground by the player base and elite is still reasonably well defended. I can't pretend to fathom what frontier are thinking by courting new players and hoping thinking this wont happen.

Expect? I expect little at this stage. Its better that way.

I pledged to Founder level via Kickstarter because of David Braben's video of getting out of your cockpit and walking down to the cargo hold and putting out a fire and patching up holes in your hull.
I searched around the Kickstarter pages for evidence we would be able to land on planets like Elite 2: Frontier. The answer was there on the page that we would be able, just not at launch.

But how much do I now expect to be in the game now? Not much.
If space legs happen, I can see it being like the rover and fighter. Teleport to where the content is.
I can't see them mapping out the inside of each ship though, getting all the internals and components correctly placed.
So we might teleport out of the cockpit to outside the ship.

Full atmospheric planets with working oceans, streams, clouds, weather, etc.... nah, I don't think so.
Some planets with atmosphere, maybe.
If FD combined their efforts with those other spaceship game people who do the really nice looking game it could easily be possible. That won't ever happen. But here's to dreaming of the perfect elite game

AFAIK the only thing they've actually been completely clear about re their business model is that they aren't doing seasons anymore not sure how that was writing on the wall for atmospheres?

must have worded it badly. the writing in the wall was about 'landable planets' being the last core and significant expansion of the game and frontier shifting attention to disconnected and seemingly arbitrary aspects. the business model was very clear in their financial statements which have been commented here at length: produce and maintain parallel franchises with long revenue life, with increasing number of launches each year. this clearly spells a game cruncher factory, there is not much room for subtleties in such a pipeline. ed is just another one of those cows.

If you're suggesting they've picked legs because it'll allow them to sell more cosmetics then good luck to them. It'll be a bit of a sugar rush early on but unless they absolutely knock it out of the park with the new game play - so it's actually as good as the other great FPS titles out there - the novelty will wear off pretty quick. People won't keep coming back to the game for that part of it.

no, i could only speculate why they've picked 'legs', which is for the moment just a rumor. it would make sense for a lot of reasons. the single important thing is if it is appealing enough to players at launch, and i actually expect it will be. it has several factors in favor: frontier do know how to appeal and tease, there's a good and stable community (even with all the ranting) and the sheer inheritance of the e:d universe (this assumes 'new era' is even connected to e:d!). the launch will probably be at least a moderate success, and from there it may not even share the player base with ed. if it yields it will be milked, if it doesn't work then they will just concentrate on another cow.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Sadly, what I expect is that Frontier will continue to squander the incredible enthusiasm and support that accompanied the ‘birth’ of Elite: Dangerous. I fear they could also be accused of heading into CIG territory, promising a great tomorrow while delivering a mediocre today.

That final bit comparison is a bit unfair. The case you are comparing it with not only has in fact indeed promised the best tomorrow ever but it still is charging everyone for it 7/8 years after it did, and counting, with not even a time estimate.

Not sure FDEV will promise the same but based on past behaviour we can be sure that at the very least the new paid for content will only be offered and charged to the general public (LEPs are a very small minority) when ready for launch. Buyers will be even able to wait just a bit if they do want for actual reviews before taking a decision to buy.

I am not an LEP holder for the simple reason Elite struck me out of the black blue around September 2015 only. At the time I wished I could support it through LEP, now I think I'm glad I couldn't.

I still think this is the best game I've ever played, and I still remember the 'how is this even possible' feeling when I realized the scale of it. It took me 8-9 weeks gametime to 'consume' the content or whatever this game had to offer to me.

Sadly, I think it is being incredibly mismanaged. It feels that the beginnings were fueled by David Braben's and Michael Brooke's enthusiasm, while right now the lack of vision and indecision by faceless people dominate.

This game became what it is based on its flight mechanics, lore and fantastic procedural content/visuals, yet exactly these areas have been neglected in the past few years.

That final bit comparison is a bit unfair. The case you are comparing it with not only has in fact indeed promised the best tomorrow ever but it still is charging everyone for it 7/8 years after it did, and counting, with not even a time estimate.

I’ve still got my Star Citizen pledge from 2012 and CIC haven’t charged me anymore since. The comparison is between promised features that are still to be delivered, which I think is fair.

I can't say that I haven't had my money's worth because I've spent plenty of time playing the game and largely enjoyed it.
However, I do still feel disappointed. FD have not delivered anything close to the potential of ED, and sadly never will.

Where ED is an undoubted success is the setting, Stellar Forge is still mindboggling to me, and the flight mechanics, flying a ship is still enjoyable for its own sake.
Where FD have utterly failed is to make that setting truly come alive, with varied and compelling reasons to keep flying.
The only tools FD seem to use are RNG and grind - often combined badly.
Their storytelling is terrible, at every level from galactic power rivalry, inter-species conflict, down to the lowest level local interest.

Their best option for a lasting legacy for this game is for FD to give up entirely on gameplay development and focus on providing the appropriate tooling to open up the setting and mechanics for others to create the actual gameplay and content.
FD could then focus their energies on improving and expanding the environment (i.e. atmospherics, support for legs gameplay, etc), and extending the toolset (e.g. station construction, ship designer, mission designer, etc.)

ED as a reasonably open platform to enable third-parties to provide curated (i.e. approved) gameplay and mechanics, would be a truly exceptional experience, with an almost unlimited lifespan.

If they deliver half of what they say they can, it would be great. as for my expectations, I have none anymore as the track record to date has been dismal, hell they can even get the bugs fixed.

Pretty similar:

• Disappointed by the progress made towards the big 'roadmap' goals / paid DLCs
  • Underwhelmed by the Seasonal delivery format
  • Seeing it as a lesson learned in many respects, but still strangely ok with having 'helped' this odd, overly-ambitious, game along.
  • Glad they're moving away from Seasons (even if it means more waiting)
  • Quietly confident the 2020 DLC could be a decent improvement
  • Would be very surprised to get the full LEP money's worth from this point.
  • Do think the game could still go some fun places :)
  • Will be along for the ride ;)

I agree with the points above, however in general i'm ok with the price paid and what I have received until now, regarding the development of the game it has been slow, and I get the feeling FDEV haven't been totally honest with us regarding its development, for a long time we were told there was 100 developers work on the game, however all logic and
the outcome of all these developers didn't manage to reach the bar of what would be expected when 100 developers are working on something.

So I guestimate that ED was on the backburner for sometime, and 2018 was rearranging of the furnitures in da house before they add new ones and add more rooms to the house.

Top Bottom