Why is the srv scanner just garbage?

To be fair to the OP, the SRV scanner is compelely broken in regard to the way it works at Geo' POIs.

At Bio' POIs it detects the mat' drops, themselves, so the signal decays and, eventually, vanishes as you harvest mat's.
This is, presumably, working correctly.

At Geo POI's it seems to detect the "area", itself, so the signal remains constant regardless of how many mat's you harvest or whether you've depleted the area entirely.
This would seem not to be working correctly, and certainly isn't working the same as it does at Bio' POIs.
That used to be different, iirc.

At Geo POI's it seems to detect the "area", itself, so the signal remains constant regardless of how many mat's you harvest or whether you've depleted the area entirely.
This would seem not to be working correctly, and certainly isn't working the same as it does at Bio' POIs.
To be fair to the OP - that's not their gripe - it's a pure L2P play.

And while bio do work differently to geo you can use the scanner perfectly well at both, it would be boring of everything was the same ;)

Works fine for me as it gives you a decent focus - just aim towards the strongest signal until it resolves to a single point.

It's far, far better than the wretched system used to find surface POIs when doing data scan missions. That thing is always hundreds of km off on the first pass and you know you're going to be flipped all over the landscape before finding the target. I wouldn't mind if the SRV scanner mechanism was transferred to the ship for jobs like these - it would be a more realistic means of homing in on the objective.

the SRV scanner is compelely broken in regard to the way it works at Geo' POIs.
Sorry, but I have to disagree with that. The thing with geo's is that almost everything should generate a signal because the fumaroles etc are made of mats - most just aren't collectable. The collectable mats (cobbles and crystals) produce a slightly different audio and visual indicator. Takes a bit more practice but perfectly possible.

I like the scanner.

I really like the wave scanner, I'd like to have one on the ship HUD for locating stuff at low speed & altitude so I can choose a good place to land.

Increasing the range of resolving rocks & stuff from 50m to 250m on the main scanner was a very welcome improvement though.

Last edited:
Sorry, but I have to disagree with that. The thing with geo's is that almost everything should generate a signal because the fumaroles etc are made of mats - most just aren't collectable. The collectable mats (cobbles and crystals) produce a slightly different audio and visual indicator. Takes a bit more practice but perfectly possible.

I like the scanner.

This is wrong.

At a Bio POI, the wave-scanner doesn't detect any of the shards or braintrees etc. It ONLY detects the mat's, themselves.
As you harvest the mat's the signal decays until, at a completely empty site, there is no more signal at all.

At a Geo POI, the wave-scanner simply detects the area, itself.
Even when you've harvested every mat' at a Geo' site, the wave-scanner continues to display a signal.

It's either operating in a deliberately inconsistent manner or it's simply not working correctly.
In either case, it needs fixing.

This is wrong.
Even when you've harvested every mat' at a Geo' site, the wave-scanner continues to display a signal.

That is absolutely not what I saw the last time I went to a geo site for mats. The wavescanner detected the mats elements and when all shot and scooped no wavescanner arcs to be seen. Only the composition scanner responded to the fumaroles, the wavescanner did not.

So unless this has changed very recently, I disagree with what you describe.

I think the scanner is ok... and once you recognise the patterns it presents you, you sort of know what you are heading towards

This is wrong.

At a Bio POI, the wave-scanner doesn't detect any of the shards or braintrees etc. It ONLY detects the mat's, themselves.
As you harvest the mat's the signal decays until, at a completely empty site, there is no more signal at all.

It's either operating in a deliberately inconsistent manner or it's simply not working correctly.
In either case, it needs fixing.

You have no issues with it scanning for rocks or settlements etc though?

Works fine for me. I just wish we could see the radar whilst in turret mode. I could drive around almost permanently in turret mode then

I haven't used the scanner in over a year: I just land at the relevant POI and select targets in the Contacts tab of the Nav Panel.

You have no issues with it scanning for rocks or settlements etc though?

It doesn't detect inert rocks though.

It only detects outcrops that contain mat's and then, after you gather the mat's, the signal disappears - which is consistent with how it works at Bio POIs.

To be fair, it seems like somebody at FDev has just set the game up so that Geo' POIs, themselves, generate a signal - rather than the mat's present withn the Geo POI generating the signal.
Dunno whether that was done in haste or because there's some other reason why the mat's in Geo' POIs, specifically, can't generate the required signal for some reason.
In either case, it results in inconsistent operation of the wave-scanner.

In practice, it's not a huge deal but it does mean that it's far more straightforward to collect mat's at a Bio' POI because you know that when there's no signal at all you've collected everything.
At a Geo' POI you always get a signal and you have to drive a grid in order to convince yourself that you've located all the available mat's.

The way it works at Bio' POIs is far more straightforward and is also consistent with the way it works during normal surface-prospecting.

To be clear, I don't think the wave-scanner is "garbage" but it does have this issue, which could do with getting fixed.

It doesn't detect inert rocks though.

It only detects outcrops that contain mat's and then, after you gather the mat's, the signal disappears - which is consistent with how it works at Bio POIs.

To be fair, it seems like somebody at FDev has just set the game up so that Geo' POIs, themselves, generate a signal - rather than the mat's present withn the Geo POI generating the signal.
Dunno whether that was done in haste or because there's some other reason why the mat's in Geo' POIs, specifically, can't generate the required signal for some reason.
In either case, it results in inconsistent operation of the wave-scanner.

In practice, it's not a huge deal but it does mean that it's far more straightforward to collect mat's at a Bio' POI because you know that when there's no signal at all you've collected everything.
At a Geo' POI you always get a signal and you have to drive a grid in order to convince yourself that you've located all the available mat's.

The way it works at Bio' POIs is far more straightforward and is also consistent with the way it works during normal surface-prospecting.

To be clear, I don't think the wave-scanner is "garbage" but it does have this issue, which could do with getting fixed.

Ok, so sounds like Geo sites could do with a change to match how rocks and bio sites work then.

That is absolutely not what I saw the last time I went to a geo site for mats. The wavescanner detected the mats elements and when all shot and scooped no wavescanner arcs to be seen. Only the composition scanner responded to the fumaroles, the wavescanner did not.

So unless this has changed very recently, I disagree with what you describe.

FWIW, I think this has changed recently - and possibly more than once.

What I described is how it used to work after 3.3 was released but then, a couple of months ago, I went to a Geo' POI and found that the signal did vanish after I'd collected all the mat's.
This made me very happy 'cos it meant the wave-scanner was working consistently while surface-prospecting and at both Geo' and Bio' POIs.

Alas, about a month ago it seemed to revert back to it's previous operation, with Geo' POIs generating a signal regardless of whether or not they contained mat's.

This is something I pay a fair amount of attention to 'cos I'm constantly visiting Wolf 587 4ea for Selenium.
At one point I could head for a Geo' POI, land and immediately know if it's a site I've visited recently and stripped of mat's because the wave-scanner wouldn't pick up a signal.
Now, however, I'm back to having to make a note of the every POI I visit to ensure I don't go to the same one twice within a short time.

Top Bottom