Explorer gets name on all 45 non-landable bodies - Legend or Loon?

So what do you think generally when you jump into a system and see some commander has his name on all 40 odd non landable planets in the middle of nowhere. (ie First mapped)
Legend or loon, superstar or psychopath...

Last edited:

Deleted member 38366

D
Completely normal in the times of FSS (?)

I do that with every single System ever since the FSS afforded DSS'ing an entire System regardless of LS distances involved.
(even pre-FSS, I did that to a number of Systems, although back than this was an exception)

Back in the legacy Discovery Scanner days, I remember quite a few Explorers who tagged every single Object in every System they visited.

That's exploration.

Under the old system, you usually had to get within 1,000Ls of something interesting before you detect it.
Obviously, there might be something interesting anywhere in a system (200,000Ls from the nearest body, perhaps) but, as a rule, the best you can hope for is that if you visit every body in a system you'll detect anything interesting nearby.
Which is why people would scan every body (landable or not) in a system.

Under the new system, you crank up the FSS and once you start twiddling you might as well carry on until you're done.
Which is why people currently scan every body in a system.

So what do you think generally when you jump into a system and see some commander has mapped and his name on all 40 odd non landable planets in the middle of nowhere.

Since you get a bonus for having discovered all bodies in a system then the only question is why you would consider people who do it in a derogatory fashion. :rolleyes:

If the "mapped all bodies" bonus was considerably larger than it is then you would see even those systems fully mapped - as it is the bonus is too small to make the effort worthwhile.

Before FSS I would only do a full system scan if I found an ELW or WW.
Always hoped there would be some reason in ED's future you could maybe claim a system like this and develop it.

So what do you think generally when you jump into a system and see some commander has his name on all 40 odd non landable planets in the middle of nowhere. (ie First mapped)

I think nothing of it.
My only thought is that I would like an option to turn off the visibility of this tagging game in my Elite game.
I would pay for such an option. They could sell it to me for 10 bucks in the Frontier store. I would pay without complaint.

Aye, my first ever long distance trip outside the bubble, I discovered an undiscovered system with over 100 in it. Not using YouTube or these forums at the time, I soldiered on poorly equipped. At some point my FSD broke. No AFMU on board. Stuck. Had to self destruct.
You could have tried to reboot/repair.

How do you map with the FSS?

Because you edited your OP to add the mapped bit, you originally just mentioned all having been tagged by a commander. I quoted your original OP in my earlier reply (#6) so your reply here to other posters is called-out. EDIT - sorry, mistake on my part.

Last edited:

Attachments

• proxy.duckduckgo.com(4).jpg
    proxy.duckduckgo.com(4).jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 28
Top Bottom