Guess what's back....

All i can say is: for a game that is 40 years old this month, everyone seems to know what Asteroids is.

Never heard of flatspace and super stardust. That kind of denies their greatness as if they were that good, they would be more well known.

There are many that are honoured by the many, and deserving... galaxians, space invaders, jetpac, x wing(original line graphics down the trench coolness, whilst sitting in a x wing shaped "cockpit" (skanky box with hard seat, and suspicious brown stains and butts in it... Chocolate, i am sure its just chocolate) ...... .reminds me of funny moment in arcade... A kid before me in queue was playing, and when obi wans line to "let go and use the force" happened, he did let go, put his hands in the air, and promptly rammed into the wall in game with a great boom."

Erm the ramblings of an old player....

Oh no, FD saw a problem and introduced a temporary fix.

The game is doomed, FD are cheats, DBOBE is the devil, Chris Roberts is the saviour of all mankind, Star Citizen will eventually be released, Space Engineers is the best space game every (if only it would get it's own forum so we don't have to read about it in here - but I digress), NMS is a graphical masterpiece ….yep feel free to add whatever accolades or criticism you wish.

All I see is FD trying to fix a problem before it got too widespread. And it seems they have done that because I am not seeing the forum full of players complaining that the mission board is borked.

lol
Defensive 🤣

And who knows what other ghost of the past got on the loose, from skynet. Don't worry, new era is gonna be a re-write of the code so these will be gone :D

The game is doomed, FD are cheats, DBOBE is the devil, Chris Roberts is the saviour of all mankind, Star Citizen will eventually be released, Space Engineers is the best space game every (if only it would get it's own forum so we don't have to read about it in here - but I digress), NMS is a graphical masterpiece ….yep feel free to add whatever accolades or criticism you wish.

All I see is FD trying to fix a problem before it got too widespread. And it seems they have done that because I am not seeing the forum full of players complaining that the mission board is borked.

after your rant, please consider that this is a regression bug: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regression_testing

one of the worst symptoms you can spot in any software arrangement. it's not the bug itself, but the evidence that the process is failing. hard. it's not doom, it's not the first time, but it is objectively bad. moo.

All I see is a player reporting a bug, other players having fun with OT discussions, one guy from the FDEV acknowledging ((y)) and an excess of cynicism in defense of a small issue. Was the last one really necessary? 🤷‍♂️

Hmm I don't know, Asteroids is kind of flat, one could almost say it is only 2D. Yet people here call ED shallow and only an inch deep ..

Also, the colours in Asteroids is a bit well beige, all the same colour, don't they know asteroids come in all different colours ..tsk tsk

;)
You didn't pull all of the coloured sticky tape from your screen again, did you?

Oops - that was Space Invaders...

You didn't pull all of the coloured sticky tape from your screen again, did you?

Oops - that was Space Invaders...

I remember being slightly disappointed when I discovered that the colouration on Space Invaders was due to some green and yellow cellophane over bits of the screen, which was then reflected in a mirror to show to the player. It was somehow like “looking behind the curtain” for an 11 year old at the time :D

I remember being slightly disappointed when I discovered that the colouration on Space Invaders was due to some green and yellow cellophane over bits of the screen, which was then reflected in a mirror to show to the player. It was somehow like “looking behind the curtain” for an 11 year old at the time :D
Someone wrote a machine code Space invaders game for the ZX Spectrum which was published in a magazine to type in yourself... I hope my memory is not failing me when I remember '2 tone' invaders crossing a colour boundary in it, just like the arcade original...

Someone wrote a machine code Space invaders game for the ZX Spectrum which was published in a magazine to type in yourself... I hope my memory is not failing me when I remember '2 tone' invaders crossing a colour boundary in it, just like the arcade original...

Memory is not failing you! The way that colour mapping worked on the Spectrum was that it coloured a whole character square (8 x 8 pixels). If there were two character squares with different ATTR values, then pixels plotted across the squares (to, say, draw a space invader) would change colour at the boundary.

It was probably used to good effect to mimic the space invaders screen very effectively :D

And who knows what other ghost of the past got on the loose, from skynet. Don't worry, new era is gonna be a re-write of the code so these will be gone :D
Oh yes, there is rewriting going on alright :devilish:

Last edited:
Memory is not failing you! The way that colour mapping worked on the Spectrum was that it coloured a whole character square (8 x 8 pixels). If there were two character squares with different ATTR values, then pixels plotted across the squares (to, say, draw a space invader) would change colour at the boundary.

Impressed :) I started with an Atari 65XE so I fondly remember this, and I think you might find this interesting as the author delves into some sweet technical details:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfAnxaWiSeE

Top Bottom