Star Citizen Discussion Thread v11

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I did not even try.

I mean, i would have to melt everything i Have to get one and hope i would win an F5 war and then what? I would feel like a dog that finally managed to catch his first car. I mean, it's a 250+ meter behemoth and I would literally have nothing else to fly. Not to mention fuel costs, crew requirement and finally, not much to aim for after that.

EDIT: Not to mention i have no idea what to do with it.

I kept my little "a little bit of everything i want to fly with" fleet.

I did however spent 20 bucks on the Pisces upgrade, everything else was a credit shuffle.

Yup, it's a glacial pace so far but it's getting there and there HAS to be a truckload of new backers to explain the influx of cash at this point.
I expected a load more judging by the numbers touted in the funding report...but I'm not seeing that reflected in the PU, certainly not on the European servers. When freefly ended yesterday, the server counts went back to the normal tickover...and the same old familiar faces with the odd newbie stuck in there asking how to find his ship.

First Wave evocati was foundet 2016 in April. I was Part of it. I don‘t say that every Sc Fan is forced to spend money. Some peeps love the demo they have got. I will not insult anyone wich likes Sc. I tryed to refund 2018. What i have experienced was a year of non commuication from the costumer support. So then the small claims and so on. What i only can say this company has so much red flags. I‘m glad i could sell my account with a Minus of 10-15€ in feb 19

Glad you managed to come out basically plus/minus zero

• while getting to my ship at Levski, they despawned it right at the moment i entered in the cockpit. That caused my character to spin endlessly and the authorities to give me a fine an a criminal status due to that game bug. Had to log out and respawn... infuriating
LOL,with Comedy like that it's worth checking out a patch just to see it.

I believe last nights gaming session, which went way later than I wanted it to, solidified a 3 man core team. I find the ages funny, we have a 64, 44, and 30 years old. We total about 6,000 hours of ED experience and a crap ton of SC experience now. Our ships are pretty basic: I bring the 600i & Prospector (which include a 325 and another shooter ship as loaners), 1 Cutlass, and 1 Titan. The Cutlass has the new skin, which I find very well done and nice to look at. The dude with the Titan really wants to upgrade to an Andromeda, as he loves the ship. But, minus that I believe are ships are set.

My only upgrade would possible going from the Prospector to the new Mole, if we all find mining fun. As the mole can house a 3 party team.

Having a constant group to play with adds to the enjoyment of the game.

The new area I‘m exploring to spend money on is in designing and building a true flight sim experience in my office. With the addition of Game Glass to my gaming experience, I’m thinking a seat similar to the old ED seat, with the MFD between our legs. But, this is only the start of my research.

When freefly ended yesterday, the server counts went back to the normal tickover...and the same old familiar faces with the odd newbie stuck in there asking how to find his ship.
I didn't think there was anyway to see how many servers/players were live at any time. Is it obvious through other methods or something; I simply cannot see player numbers being that low leading to a few same people being seen all the time.

When I looked at the official stats released a month ago I calculated an hourly concurrent of 1300 players

Having a constant group to play with adds to the enjoyment of any game and most media.

I have a "bad movie" night with a friend where we pick out the absolute worst movies and shows on netflix or elsewhere and watch them and laugh at how terrible they are. That doesn't suddenly make the movies good, but it makes the time we spent together enjoyable.

Games are the same way, some people will find playing something like DayZ alone boring and unfun, but slap that person in a team of four with comms and suddenly they are having a thrilling time up at the airfield.

At the end of the day, however, I judge a game on it's merits when recommending it to others. I don't let it use my friends as a crutch.

Last edited:
Also, I'm going to be a complete n00blord scrubby and double post but:

There's a reason CIG made sure that the ability to play with friends was a priority (before things like gameplay and flight models and content) and that's the same reason that even the scummiest gatcha slot-machine mobile trash on the market makes sure it railroads you into joining a clan/alliance/company and then gates progress and rewards behind group activities:

They know that social interaction can mask massive gameplay flaws if you are "having fun with friends." You become invested in the activity not as a game you look forward to playing, but as a platform to spend time with the people you look forward to interacting with. How many people wouldn't move on to better MMOs because "everyone they know plays WOW."

Then you start to feel like you need to be depended on, that you don't want to let your friends/alliance/guild down by falling behind on the power curve. In mobile games, this is most seen by gating required rewards/loots behind group activities where everyone needs to pull their weight. Falling behind? You better spend spend spend spend to catch up, you don't want to let your friends down and cost them loot do you? IF star citizen ever gets challenging content worth completing for massive rewards, I promise you the same will happen. You need XYZ type ship of a certain size to join us for this loot because it's just not viable in a small/worse ship. You'll be encouraged to spend on those ships to keep up and join in on these activities lest you fall out of favor with the social group.

It's that mentality and that observed behavior that CIG is banking on when they make certain that the servers work just well enough to get multiple people in an instance and playing.

Also, I'm going to be a complete n00blord scrubby and double post but:

There's a reason CIG made sure that the ability to play with friends was a priority (before things like gameplay and flight models and content) and that's the same reason that even the scummiest gatcha slot-machine mobile trash on the market makes sure it railroads you into joining a clan/alliance/company and then gates progress and rewards behind group activities:

They know that social interaction can mask massive gameplay flaws if you are "having fun with friends." You become invested in the activity not as a game you look forward to playing, but as a platform to spend time with the people you look forward to interacting with. How many people wouldn't move on to better MMOs because "everyone they know plays WOW."

Then you start to feel like you need to be depended on, that you don't want to let your friends/alliance/guild down by falling behind on the power curve. In mobile games, this is most seen by gating required rewards/loots behind group activities where everyone needs to pull their weight. Falling behind? You better spend spend spend spend to catch up, you don't want to let your friends down and cost them loot do you? IF star citizen ever gets challenging content worth completing for massive rewards, I promise you the same will happen. You need XYZ type ship of a certain size to join us for this loot because it's just not viable in a small/worse ship. You'll be encouraged to spend on those ships to keep up and join in on these activities lest you fall out of favor with the social group.

It's that mentality and that observed behavior that CIG is banking on when they make certain that the servers work just well enough to get multiple people in an instance and playing.

Good points, but, off point on how I meant it. I will play the game, with or without others. But, having back up is nice, as it adds another dimension to the game play. FPS part is nice when you can stack a 1,2 and 3 man, and assign sectors. Bounty hunting is nice when I see turrets unloading on the target too.

Things we have not done yet, box stacking missions, group mining, and cave diving.

The new area I‘m exploring to spend money on is in designing and building a true flight sim experience in my office. With the addition of Game Glass to my gaming experience, I’m thinking a seat similar to the old ED seat, with the MFD between our legs. But, this is only the start of my research.

That‘s true. But this is true for every MP Game. Look I play some ED I play some DCS those are Sims unlike Sc wich is a demo at the best. I play them both in VR. I got my 2nd HMD an Index an I could tell you that’s a real game changer. Not like SC with „fake“ track ir or is there a way you could look 180 degrees?
I think VR will never be a thing in Sc.

I also could use my TM Warthogh + MFD + Pedals in VR. In DCS i could also play it competitive unlike Sc where some famous PvP Sq’s left the boat because the path CIg have choosen with the FM and the way they „desing“ the PvP combat at all. Looking at Mouse vs Stick debates or the new aim assist.

There are serveral ways to spend money. For me I invest in real Games or Hardware. If I look at the amount of money some people have spend I could also buy a complete f18 cockpit ready for the sim.

If you are looking for Hardware to build your own cockpit start with Virpil. They have a good quality for the price.

I have a "bad movie" night with a friend where we pick out the absolute worst movies and shows on netflix or elsewhere and watch them and laugh at how terrible they are.

May I humbly recommend Outlander (2008), produced by our own Chris Roberts.

I watched it with mates back in the early days of streaming, and marvelled at its terribleness. Vikings meet soft sci fi in a clash of bad dialogue, lavished with slick production values. (Crob’s production house actually got some fun flicks over the line. But good lord is this amongst their ranks for all the wrong reasons :D. High fidelity, zero coherence. Spent the whole flick going ‘Who thought any this was a good idea??’ :D)

May I humbly recommend Outlander (2008), produced by our own Chris Roberts.

I watched it with mates back in the early days of streaming, and marvelled at its terribleness. Vikings meet soft sci fi in a clash of bad dialogue, lavished with slick production values. (Crob’s production house actually got some fun flicks over the line. But good lord is this amongst their ranks for all the wrong reasons :D. High fidelity, zero coherence. Spent the whole flick going ‘Who thought any this was a good idea??’ :D)

We've already had a good laugh at Wing Commander, so no doubt she'll appreciate another fine entry from our "favorite" producer. At least it'll be entertaining unlike some other entries.. <cough the host cough cough Malevolent cough cough cough Annabel cough off topic cough cough>

That‘s true. But this is true for every MP Game. Look I play some ED I play some DCS those are Sims unlike Sc wich is a demo at the best. I play them both in VR. I got my 2nd HMD an Index an I could tell you that’s a real game changer. Not like SC with „fake“ track ir or is there a way you could look 180 degrees?

I also could use my TM Warthogh + MFD + Pedals in VR. In DCS i could also play it competitive unlike Sc where some famous PvP Sq’s left the boat because the path CIg have choosen with the FM and the way they „desing“ the PvP combat at all. Looking at Mouse vs Stick debates or the new aim assist.

There are serveral ways to spend money. For me I invest in real Games or Hardware. If I look at the amount of money some people have spend I could also buy a complete f18 cockpit ready for the sim.

If you are looking for Hardware to build your own cockpit start with Virpil. They have a good quality for the price.

This is where we differ. An F-18 cockpit would bore the crap out of me, or any modern aircraft. Heck even flying a Cirrus, with the Garmin Suit become mundane.

I want something futuristic. I want to fly a space ship... Not the crap aircraft that were all designed in the 1900’s

I really hope that Microsoft flight 2020 offers concept aircraft like the Lilium jet and such.. Or it will be a waste of money for me.

Edit: Nice setup btw.

This is where we differ. An F-18 cockpit would bore the crap out of me, or any modern aircraft. Heck even flying a Cirrus, with the Garmin Suit become mundane.

I want something futuristic. I want to fly a space ship... Not the crap aircraft that were all designed in the 1900’s

I really hope that Microsoft flight 2020 offers concept aircraft like the Lilium jet and such.. Or it will be a waste of money for me.

Edit: Nice setup btw.

Having spent time in 0 spacecraft and 0 aircraft IRL I'm fine with both.

I said that about NMS and yet here we are, with it being one of the best VR games to date.

…also, an F/A-18 cockpit is vastly more futuristic in what it can do than anything available in SC. :p

I believe you mean interactive, meaning more buttons to push! And it depends on the series of F-18 your talking about too. I think maybe a Garmin 3000 sim cockpit would be a decent setup. Similiar to the Cirrus Vision Jet today.

But, that would be significant overkill for most games.

Keep the ideas coming....

No, I mean more futuristic.

As in, the things it lets you do are decades ahead of the WWII-era cockpits in SC.

Gotcha. You’re correct.

I would like to see more ports, like game glass. As I’m enjoying it a ton. I’m curious how it is in ED. I know you have to pay for it in ED though...

I would also like some way to land the ship better in SC. I like the ED blue indicator, but, think that can even be improved.

I doubt this is possible, but, 2 iPads in a row, similar to the Cirrus Jet Cockpit. With dual t16000’s.
1575651362880.jpeg

Gotcha. You’re correct.
No. That has always been what SC — and indeed all of Chris' previous space games — have been, because they're all trying to replicate Star Wars and its WWII aerial combat. He's layered a bunch of useless Hollywood gloss on top of it, but it's all WWII underneath.

Say, how do you pre-program and ripple-release NOE missiles against multiple target points in an SC “spaceship” again?

e: And while we're at it (spoilered because it's only really relevant in relation to this particular comparison, but I guess also to the uncompleted junk Chris tried to hawk a few years ago)

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom