I almost feel bad for Frontier

I'm sure that the management and developers at Frontier are enthusiastic about the new features they bring to their games (in this case, Elite Dangerous). And while they expect some negative feedback, I can't help but think that they have been caught totally off-guard with the level of disappointment, frustration, and disinterest in the latest Fleet Carrier beta. To put all that time, energy, and enthusiasm into a project to just watch it bomb - I know I would be disheartened if this were the response to a project I invested time in.

And yet, I can't fully bring myself to feel bad for Frontier. It seems they are just totally out-of-touch with their customers and player base. I'm not saying this based on what I want or do not want in the game, but rather the overwhelming negative feedback overflowing in the forums and livestreams, even from people who normally are much more generous with their praise of Frontier. I guess if I am going to feel bad for someone, it's the quiet developer working at Frontier who thinks, "This is not what the players want, but the boss tells me this is what I must do, so that's what I'll do." Having worked for such a boss in the past, I do feel bad for those employees at Frontier in this position. Something is obviously broken at Frontier, and I'm guessing it's management / leadership. And sadly, like the recent Charlie's Angels reboot and other terrible movies, they will probably just blame the fans and not own and learn from their mistakes. I hope I'm wrong (there's still time to fix these Fleet Carriers).

To put all that time, energy, and enthusiasm into a project to just watch it bomb - I know I would be disheartened if this were the response to a project I invested time in.
Except, of course, they haven't put any of that into Fleet Carriers. This is just something they've cobbled together from assets left over from the 2018 development, while the time, energy and enthusiasm goes into the New Era.

At least I hope time, energy and enthusiasm is being put into that.

I'm sure that the management and developers at Frontier are enthusiastic about the new features they bring to their games (in this case, Elite Dangerous). And while they expect some negative feedback, I can't help but think that they have been caught totally off-guard with the level of disappointment, frustration, and disinterest in the latest Fleet Carrier beta. To put all that time, energy, and enthusiasm into a project to just watch it bomb - I know I would be disheartened if this were the response to a project I invested time in.

And yet, I can't fully bring myself to feel bad for Frontier. It seems they are just totally out-of-touch with their customers and player base. I'm not saying this based on what I want or do not want in the game, but rather the overwhelming negative feedback overflowing in the forums and livestreams, even from people who normally are much more generous with their praise of Frontier. I guess if I am going to feel bad for someone, it's the quiet developer working at Frontier who thinks, "This is not what the players want, but the boss tells me this is what I must do, so that's what I'll do." Having worked for such a boss in the past, I do feel bad for those employees at Frontier in this position. Something is obviously broken at Frontier, and I'm guessing it's management / leadership. And sadly, like the recent Charlie's Angels reboot and other terrible movies, they will probably just blame the fans and not own and learn from their mistakes. I hope I'm wrong (there's still time to fix these Fleet Carriers).
Life of a developer. Same thing happens where I'm at. Not saying its nice, just that it is how it is.

Except missing UC (universal cartographic) there's mostly only numbers which are seen negative. And for this exactly are betas for (or should be). Personally I'm really curious how (or if) they will be adjusted.
Good point. Numbers cover a LOT - operational costs, jump time, market prices, etc. UC and the need to mine fuel rather than scoop fuel (even if for an entire day) are the other two big complaints I've seen. Me personally, fixing the numbers alone would be enough to once again become interested in FCs. And the thing is, changing numbers is usually TRIVIAL. If Frontier doesn't do this, it's not because it is hard, but because they are stubborn. 🤷

I mean, it's not that they are bad per se. They don't look bad, what is there seems to work acceptable, the implementation is just not very well thought through.
Unlike e.g. multicrew it should be fixable.

Except missing UC (universal cartographic) there's mostly only numbers which are seen negative. And for this exactly are betas for (or should be). Personally I'm really curious how (or if) they will be adjusted.

They will add UC. Gnosis had it if i remember correctly. It is the old "we value your time" and "we have listened to our based players".

The silent majority will simply move on to another title I believe.
I'm the silent majority. No, I AM the silent majority. No, I and the SILENT MAJORITY!

iu

Top Bottom