eggs

I notice that there are some oviparous animals however they do not lay eggs the babies just appear! it would be wonderful eggs in the game just like it was in the old zoo tycoon 2 game

There are also placental mammals that do not give live birth. Whenever this subject is raised I always ask the same question - if you want animals to lay eggs, do you also want animals to give birth?

If it’s not too complicated to design this, why not?
It likely is too complicated, but IMO all it really does is add an extra step to birth that isn't really necessary.
As someone who's added egg coding to several animals in my time modding ZT2 it really isn't complicated at all.
It's pretty much just replacing the baby animal with the egg, having a hatch timer rather than a growth timer and when that timer ends, spawn the baby and rest is normal.
At most you would only need a single animation for the egg hatching and that's it... And that's if you don't want to try anything fancy.

Last edited:
I don't really have a horse in this race because honestly it's not something I care about either way but if realism is the point then you'd never just have eggs lying around in the enclosure in a real life zoo. 99% of the time the public would never see real eggs - even in species who don't sit on them they are always covered or out of sight and for most species they would be carefully monitored in a separate enclosure if naturally incubated or artificially incubated in controlled conditions. If you start having incubation behaviour then that brings in all sorts of complications re. how do you deal with parental needs because the speed of the time means they wouldn't have time to eat drink etc. and show the nesting behaviour.

So for those reasons I don't really see the point - but then I don't have a thing about realism either way so I'm probably not who this would be aimed at if it was a feature.

There are also placental mammals that do not give live birth. Whenever this subject is raised I always ask the same question - if you want animals to lay eggs, do you also want animals to give birth?

I am (or was) in support of eggs, but your argument has made me think otherwise. I guess we should put the eggs with the rest of "reproductive" animations like mating and giving birth. It's a lost cause 😕

Chante Goodman

Community Manager
Frontier
Hayo! We recently answered this when I was on RudiRennkamel's stream. It's not something the team are currently looking at adding into the game. Eggs would require substantial development resources to do them justice for a very short life stage. It was decided to put more effort into the juvenile state of the animals because this affected the greatest proportion of animal species.

Hayo! We recently answered this when I was on RudiRennkamel's stream. It's not something the team are currently looking at adding into the game. Eggs would require substantial development resources to do them justice for a very short life stage. It was decided to put more effort into the juvenile state of the animals because this affected the greatest proportion of animal species.
Sad because it's a very important feature for an animal themed game

Sad because it's a very important feature for an animal themed game
Not really, like Cocolori pointed out, ZT2 having eggs sitting out in the open was actually very unrealistic to how a real zoo would handle it. I don't think it would add much to the game anyways. Now, it would be neat if they added some static prop eggs, maybe like 4-5 variations for different species (Croc eggs, ostrich eggs etc) that way you could maybe make an educational area with them, or put them in a habitat and pretend they're real. I think that would be a very nice compromise on the issue.

Chante Goodman

Community Manager
Frontier
Not really, like Cocolori pointed out, ZT2 having eggs sitting out in the open was actually very unrealistic to how a real zoo would handle it. I don't think it would add much to the game anyways. Now, it would be neat if they added some static prop eggs, maybe like 4-5 variations for different species (Croc eggs, ostrich eggs etc) that way you could maybe make an educational area with them, or put them in a habitat and pretend they're real. I think that would be a very nice compromise on the issue.
That's actually a very interesting idea, @Bearcat9948, thank you for sharing. I passed it on to the devs!

Prop eggs of different types is a fantastic idea!

Yes, eggs as props was a wonderful idea. I hope the devs have considered it when Chanté passed the idea to them. We could get an egg from any animal in the game (at least for the habitat animals) plus the common chicken egg to compare.

Antler props could be another good implementation of this idea (if we get more animals with antlers).

@Jens Erik @Tim Smith

Hey you two! I was just wondering if either of you could provide us with an update here. Not about the original topic of this thread, but on the idea that I originally suggested to Chante back in December :
To which Chante responded with:
That's actually a very interesting idea, @Bearcat9948, thank you for sharing. I passed it on to the devs!
I've since then been included it in my small changes thread. Thanks in advance!

Top Bottom