Am I the only person who is utterly unenthused right now about a generic FPS being shoehorned into my spaceship game?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I suppose for the same reason people say "I don't like it" before they've even seen it. It's a response looking for a reaction.

You can't really say "why didn't they make it better" about something that's not released.
I can say it about the product they have shown tho, and that is what I and others are doing based on the little they have shown, and the previous history of things shown. And isnt this a product supposed to be released by the end of May or March?

So, based on those things yes I am saying "why isnt this better"

I can say it about the product they have shown tho, and that is what I and others are doing based on the little they have shown, and the previous history of things shown. And isnt this a product supposed to be released by the end of May or March?

So, based on those things yes I am saying "why isnt this better"

I don't think you can say it no, not with any conviction. It's no different to saying you don't like your dinner because you've seen a potato and knife or you don't like a car because you've seen a wheel and the windscreen.

It's fine to have a degree of trepidation based on past experience but you need to keep an open mind, it might be the best thing ever.

I don't think you can say it no, not with any conviction. It's no different to saying you don't like your dinner because you've seen a potato and knife or you don't like a car because you've seen a wheel and the windscreen.

It's fine to have a degree of trepidation based on past experience but you need to keep an open mind, it might be the best thing ever.
So far they have shown walking on a planet, a pretty sky box simulating an atmosphere but with no atmospheric effects. They have said explicitly no new SRV, no walking in ships, no EVA in space. Maybe its you who are seeing things that arent there?

But based of what they have shown, and what they have said ISNT coming, thats a decent amount of information to base my opinion off.

No, that is a problem. We bought a space game. Our money should have gone into further development of that space game.
Like the OP said, if they wanted to develop another FPS, get it kick started.

Me, I'm hoping their marketing department is hyping the FPS aspect and there will be more content for us space pilots.
I bought an MMO game, so I believe my money should go to improving multiplayer part of the game
¯\(ツ)

Also you may want to watch som Kickstarter-times videos - the space legs part was planned since very beginning

Frontier keeps showing one wheel and a windscreen over and over again and when people ask:
"Hey, where are the rest of the wheels? It's gonna have four wheels, right?"
They respond with:
"We are extremely excited to share more with you in the future, and we think you're really going to be pleased with what we have in store for you!"
And then people start asking more questions like:
"So, it is a car, right? Like I'll be able to drive it from place to place?"
And Frontier says:
"Stay tuned for an upcoming announcement where we are going to reveal the date of the release of a youtube teaser where we'll be sharing more details about the windshield"
And then we're scratching our heads like:
"OK but seriously you are making a car, right? For real how many wheels does it have?"
Frontier:
"While we have nothing more to announce about the wheel at this time, we look forward to sharing further details very soon about the vehicular experience and are accepting preorders now!"
2 months of total silence later, people losing their minds:
"Hey wait a minute, why did you say 'wheel' and not 'wheels'?"
Frontier:
"Preorder now, and receive an exclusive fusion purple color scheme for the headlight!"
Etc, etc, etc.

At a certain point people are allowed to just shrug and say "I dunno what they're making, but it's probably not a car and I'm probably not going to like whatever it turns out to be."

Am I the only person who is utterly unenthused right now about a generic FPS being shoehorned into my spaceship game?

I'm not particularly find of the idea of a generic FPS being shoehorned into the game.

However, i am looking forward to space legs. To being able to walk around areas, see the inside of stations and bases. And hopefully, one day, the ability to walk around our spaceships and even more locations.

Sure, flying my spaceships is the primary reason for playing, but i'm fine with space legs just like i'm find with driving my SRV (and hoping they will add more SRV types as well!).

To be honest, i don't recall people getting all salty about FD adding SRVs to the game... not sure why people see space legs any differently.

In Eve you do not pilot ships at all, you manage the computer that pilots the ship. Because it is not a flight centered game.
Uhm, you should read about the latest proposed change then.

tl;dr instead of jumping in "as a blob" to a fight, fleet commanders will be able to jump their wing in in a particular formation. This has been pegged as "potentially very overpowered" and I agree... because flight and manouverability of your ship, it's positioning, and tactical movement is absolutely essential to success.

I know people are used to seeing the "big blob battles" like B-R5RB, but that is very much the exception to the rule.

I suppose it is worth remembering, the last thing they were showing off was combat, so it all feels a bit combat orientated right now. The first one they released, the first step or whatever they called it, that was more about exploration and discovery, iirc.

So perhaps this FPS stuff, as being the latest to be displayed, is overshadowing the other aspects of legs.
I'm helping you hope, but the Armstrong moment is out of the airlock atm.

To be honest, i don't recall people getting all salty about FD adding SRVs to the game... not sure why people see space legs any differently.

They are directly tied to the spaceship game. On foot as Per Odyssey allows you to entirely skip the ships and just transfer via Apex.

There's probably a good balance between "expecting too much" and "expecting too little".

When the original trailer came out, people were suggesting that because Frontier hadn't shown more than a small area of one planet:
- walking would be restricted to a small number of small maps, you wouldn't be able to walk just anywhere on a planet surface
- the weapons were just props and couldn't actually be fired
- you wouldn't be able to walk on Horizons planets
- you'd only be able to walk outside, there were no interiors

Equally, anyone expecting it to be more than "Elite Dangerous but you walk between points of interest rather than supercruising" in terms of types of gameplay is also probably reading too much into what they've said.

What chances if successful they market Odyssey on it's own as a separate game, just like CQC except that was total crap.

I don't understand their business decision of releasing a FPS game instead of expanding their space sim game with space sim stuff. I can think of more ships, more station types, more missions types, more involving and multi-step missions, more random encounters, maybe "dungeon"- or "raid"-style content, needing multiple wings of commanders in the same instance to kill/map/transport something (CGs are a bit like this, but don't require players to be in the same instance).

If they wanted to add "space legs", they could have added ship and station interiors, damage models for all ships, the ability to repair ships on foot when something reaches integrity 0 instead of "rebooting", EVA, etc. But nope, they wanted to add a new game into Elite, knowing there are many dozens of decent FPS games out there, but there's only one Elite Dangerous 🤯

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom