Permit locked systems - What is FDev’s plan with them?

Wreaken Construction once sent an entire fleet into Col 70. It is perhaps too bad some players decided to pound them into obscurity and reduce their presence to only 2 star systems.

Hi all :)

Hi Leadfoot :)
Just wondering, can you still see or access (on the Galactic and system maps) those systems you personally went to or through?
Or can't you access them now on the map?
edit...I've noticed that some systems I've travelled through in the past, (way back), don't show up correctly as 'visited' stars or 'not visited'. That is to say I can access systems that are showing up as 'not visited' when in fact I know I've visited them, (they're showing up as red system dots). When I highlight the red system it brings up all the icons, Select, Plot route, Bookmark and the System map (white) icon.

Jack :)
I tried to figure out how to get the map (I'm using Odyssey, not sure if Horizons would do it) to actually show where I've visited all these years. This was in the days before you could land anywhere so it pre-dates Horizons.

I did just long in now and while I did a route from the Witch Head to Orion to Running Man to Barnard's Loop into Horse Head, it's next to impossible to figure out what route I get based on my jump range at the time (before engineering). This means I did not go through the COL 70 Sector. Kind of wish I had.

I DID manage to find a few star systems I have actually visited INSIDE THE HORSE HEAD and here's a few that I was able to identify:

Horsehead Dark Region IR-V C2-9
Just to G-class stars

Horsehead Dark Region IR-V C2-10
One K-class star only

Horsehead Dark Region LM-V C2-3
G-class star, 6 planets one planet with a 4.43 methane atmosphere

Horsehead Dark Region LM-V C2-1
M-class star, 9 planets, 2 with methane atmos, 1 with a moon with argon atmos.

Horsehead Dark Region LM-V C2-2
T-Tauri class star, one asteroid belt

So, it WAS possible for me to get in there before Horizons dropped.

Wreaken Construction once sent an entire fleet into Col 70. It is perhaps too bad some players decided to pound them into obscurity and reduce their presence to only 2 star systems.
The real shame is the crappy mechanics that lets small groups of players push corporations around. Some dystopian universe we play in!

"Oh no, the Corps are oppressing us!"
"That's OK. Me and Bob are planning on a couple of mini-van deliveries today. We should own the system tomorrow!"
🤣

These are the areas Frontier are secretly working on and testing ship interiors.
...best forget about these places. Nothing may happen ever.

Flimley

All good things come to those who wait.
It's always been a slow burn since 2015, when the question was asked.
Soon though i hope, at least for some of them...
Yep I remember the early questions, about these systems. One of my early theories was maybe they’d implement a special kind of FSD, or an old Faraway system that can access these. This was my idea, based on similar mechanics in…wait for it…No Man’s Sky. In that game it’s a little more basic and not as lore-based. It’s as easy as matching hyperdrive (color) types with the color Star you’re trying to jump to lol. But it still put the idea in my head that because the Pilot’s Federation controls where we jump, that an off-grid drive or engineer would be introduced. Alas! There’s been nothing.

Someone mentioned Wreaken and I remember hearing, years back, probably 2016/ late 2015 that they were issuing permits to Col 70 but some player groups kicked them out of their systems and so maybe only this player groups is allowed in.

Last edited:
The locked off area in Regor contains the star Gamma Velorum, that may go supernova in the near astronomical future.
Perhaps FD were thinking of doing such a thing in the game?

The real shame is the crappy mechanics that lets small groups of players push corporations around. Some dystopian universe we play in!

"Oh no, the Corps are oppressing us!"
"That's OK. Me and Bob are planning on a couple of mini-van deliveries today. We should own the system tomorrow!"
🤣
I don't recall wreaken ever being in more than one or two systems...

Someone mentioned Wreaken and I remember hearing, years back, probably 2016/ late 2015 that they were issuing permits to Col 70 but some player groups kicked them out of their systems and so maybe only this player groups is allowed in.
That's not true. Wreaken have never issued permits.... there was plenty that hoped they would if they got allied or something. But there's so many misconceptions warped into truths out there.

I’d like to call myself a patient man, but it’s been about 7-8 years and all of these systems are still permit locked? Col 70, Polaris, Regor, several out in the black, thousands of light years from the bubble…when is the whole mystery going to be up? Seems kind of pointless to have undeveloped game content for going on a decade and not have some sort of plan for these regions. I mean, everyone’s gripe with this game is largely to do with content and it seems like a wired thing to sit on for nearly a decade.
They unlocked HP 22460 recently, and while it was a notable story pivot, there was nothing that happened in that system that required FD to permit lock it, which does indeed beg the question of why are they even a thing?

FD have never been held back before from adding random plot things into random systems which didn't have them before because <reasons>... so it's not like they need to hide those developments behind a veil.

The only reason i can think of these days is suddenly, some content will only be put in those systems, which is then released as a paid dlc... but my god would that be awful.

I don't recall wreaken ever being in more than one or two systems...
HIP 80242
Clee
Dyavata
HR 5975
These are from a quick search around Ega on EDSM.

Last August they had a CG to build a new starport in LTT 198 (a locked system that is now accessible with a permit) but everyone chose to support Granny Slave Trader instead.

Don't think theres any plan they are probably just used for live build testing etc. Probably stuff in game that the devs have going that we don't see yet. Hopefully Goid ground combat for instance :)

HIP 80242
Clee
Dyavata
HR 5975
These are from a quick search around Ega on EDSM.

Last August they had a CG to build a new starport in LTT 198 (a locked system that is now accessible with a permit) but everyone chose to support Granny Slave Trader instead.
So, that's what I'm saying...

When they were "a thing" in the plot for all that Col 70 stuff, they were only in one, maybe two systems... and they certainly weren't offering up permits... they were just like any old regular faction.

So, any systems they've been knocked out of, they were in because of player action. A lot of people speculated becoming allied/ helping them expand would cause some sort of thing to happen. Nothing ever did

I thought Wreaken was just part of all the Drew happy fun time fantasy saga anyway, and so not actually really anything in the game (apart from that live roleplay event).

I suspect the truth is somewhere between what was idealised as a good idea, and what actually ended up in the game before FD ditched all that.

Last edited:
Hi All :)

They unlocked HP 22460 recently, and while it was a notable story pivot, there was nothing that happened in that system that required FD to permit lock it, which does indeed beg the question of why are they even a thing?

Hi :)
Is this permit obtainable at the moment?

Hi All :)

Hi :)
Is this permit obtainable at the moment?

Read the first paragraph of that.

Yeah those sectors have been locked for years and nothing has ever happened with them.

At this stage i suspect the current fdev team on Elite dont actually remember that they are a thing and we probably wont see anything happening with them.

I’d like to call myself a patient man, but it’s been about 7-8 years and all of these systems are still permit locked? Col 70, Polaris, Regor, several out in the black, thousands of light years from the bubble…when is the whole mystery going to be up? Seems kind of pointless to have undeveloped game content for going on a decade and not have some sort of plan for these regions. I mean, everyone’s gripe with this game is largely to do with content and it seems like a wired thing to sit on for nearly a decade.
Based on FDevs form and commitment to the Elite franchise recently, I would conclude there are no longer any plans do anything with permit locked systems. My personal opinion of course, though based on where we are I think I might be correct.

Top Bottom