Where can I find.. stuff?

This might sound like a bit of a noob post. I still am in many ways despite being an original backer and having racked up a not insignificant amount of hours in the game on and off over the years. But one theme of that time is my almost complete refusal to use ED 'tools' and websites to navigate the game. Why? I dont know exactly but it might have something to do with being a web developer by day and not finding the browsing of websites to really gell with trying to relax in the evening.

A brief list of things that after many years I still haven't managed to find in game the old fashioned way, ie in game, is something along the lines of
  • Thargoid sites
  • Those other alien site thingys?
  • Asteroid Bases
  • Trade routes that pay exceptionally
  • Lagrange points
  • A lot of weird stuff on planets (yes admittedly I find the scanner boring and prefer just to check every inch of the surface)

How hidden are these things to the 'non forum/database explorer'.. Can they be practically found in with game methods without reninventing years of community discovery? I still lurk the ED forums and reddit more than enough to see and learn clues, I just dont consider it part of the game and rarely write down any findings.

Last edited:
A couple of Thargoid and Guardian sites are tucked away in your codex. It's certainly not a comprehensive list as it's just first discoveries but as an in-game resource that's the first go-to.

Lagrange points and weird stuff on planets is sort of covered by the codex as well.

However - Lagrange points themselves dont exist in game. Floating weird biological and geological stuff is sometimes found at points of interest in planet rings. You might get lucky and find this organically or just look in the codex and take a trip.

Same with weird stuff on planets. The biological and geological items discovered are all in the codex. Strange land formations you'll have to find yourself though.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: F18
I'm not aware of a good way of finding asteroid bases consistently but they tend to be located further outside the bubble and often in nebula. You could filter for populated systems in the galaxy map and take a look at some of the nebula outside the bubble. A good example is the asteroid bases located in the two populated systems in the heart and soul nebulas.

Hind Mine in the T Tauri system is also located in the NGC 1555 nebula, or Hind's Nebula. This one's been used for a few CGs lately and is more easily reachable.

Last edited:
  • Like (+1)
Reactions: F18
  • Thargoid sites
Galaxy map - they are both an option. Then pan around - quite a lot
Asteroid Bases
Galaxy Map - filter for places with humans and look away from the bubble. Maybe nearby nebulae.
A lot of weird stuff on planets (yes admittedly I find the scanner boring and prefer just to check every inch of the surface)
Detail Surface Scanner - install & use.

You could always head over the the Canonn website, they have a galaxy of information there and places you can find lotz of stuffz

A brief list of things that after many years I still haven't managed to find in game the old fashioned way, ie in game, is something along the lines of
  • Thargoid sites
  • Asteroid Bases
  • Trade routes that pay exceptionally
  • Lagrange points
  • A lot of weird stuff on planets (yes admittedly I find the scanner boring and prefer just to check every inch of the surface)
As Factabulous stated the Thargoid and Guardian bases can be found on the map by filtering for civilization.
Asteroid bases a perhaps few and far between, one that sticks in my mind is Big Papa's Base at Andrihimi.
Trade routes... Anything that involves a trip from an extraction/refinery to an industrial/hi-tech system in boom.
Lagrange points, that's a lot of FSS work.
Stuff on the surface will depend on whether you're in EDH or EDO.
EDH use the DSS and fly to sites.
EDO tends to involve low level flight or driving.

The discovery stuff, thargoids, guardians, plants, lagrange clouds, they are all in the codex. Or potentially one of each type per sector of the galaxy.

Ah, I see you are man of culture.

Check the Codex and GalNet entries for pointers to regions with Thargoid and Guardian sites. Use the GalMap filter to see exact systems. Asteroid bases are more infrequent in the bubble but you can find a bunch in Colonia. If you really want to find them in the bubble, go to its edges. As for trade, define "exceptional". I find it's much easier to find good trades nowadays. Gone are the days of Polymers hauling. Lagrange clouds show up more often in nebulae.

EDO tends to involve low level flight or driving.
I tend to find less things using this method than Horizons? Certainly I can still find plants and geysers, but in Horizons it seems one could drive around and find random bases, crashed things etc. But those seem harder to stumble on in EDO and require scanning? That is probably more realistic, but I personally like planet surface RNG

--
Thank you for summarizing all that.
I honestly had not looked at Codex since it first came out and will give it another go.

Last edited:
Top Bottom