Page 11 of 162 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 2424

Thread: [Information] The Galactic Mapping Project & Expedition Hub

  1. #151
    Been making slow progress due to some other obligations.
    I would like to note that Map 1 might do with the addition of the Statue of Liberty Nebula, and I would like to note a second badlands area along the spur between the Statue of Liberty and the Eta Carinae Nebulas. It's not impassible but it would be easy enough to strand yourself in if not paying attention.

  2. #152
    Originally Posted by Murishani View Post (Source)
    Been making slow progress due to some other obligations.
    I would like to note that Map 1 might do with the addition of the Statue of Liberty Nebula, and I would like to note a second badlands area along the spur between the Statue of Liberty and the Eta Carinae Nebulas. It's not impassible but it would be easy enough to strand yourself in if not paying attention.
    Thanks Murishani. Yeah Liberty Nebula should be on there, I'll add it as soon as I can.

    Can you also give me a few system names for those badlands so I can pinpoint them on the map?

    I'll be overhauling the maps over the weekend and adding a few bits of older data from some of my own trips around the local region, stuff that I never got around to adding, so any info you can provide will go on the newer maps in a few days time.

    Cheers!

  3. #153
    Originally Posted by Erimus View Post (Source)
    a few system names for those badlands
    Actually the best way to see what I'm talking about is to go look at the statue of liberty in the gal map, go directly up about 100 ly and you'll see a smattering of TT, T, L, and Y stars, if you start moving your camera towards Eta Carina youll see that it extends almost the whole way. It starts above statue of liberty and then moves toward Eta Carina, it then hooks rimward down below Eta Carina and breaks up near NGC 3590 and NGC 3293 a little bit. The trouble here is that if you take a straight line shot from the statue of liberty to Eta Carina, youll run into it. If you drop below the Statue of Liberty and then head to Eta Carina you'll bypass all of it. Looking at the badlands more thoroughly it looks like it might run all the way over to the Orion Sagittarius gap. It seems to closely correspond to that dark spot "L" shaped spot near the Vela Molecular ridge. I attached a little image here to sort of show the section I noted, Im not sure how extensive it really is coreward or rimward but it is bigger than it appears in this image, this is just the section relevant to touring the nebulas.






    Like I said, there's a smattering of scoopable stars all throughout the badlands, I didn't have too much trouble traversing it in a 32-ish range ASP but it would be very easy to strand yourself with a smaller jump range or if not paying attention.

  4. #154
    That's excellent, thanks!

    I'll mark it as best I can on the relevant map with a simple outline, like how the other badlands are marked, but I'll make a reference on the description blurb to that great screenshot mockup you made.

  5. #155
    Awesome! Name it whatever you like. Eta Carina Badlands, Nebula Badlands, or Vela Molecular Badlands come to mind. Im not sure how far coreward it goes but its definitely relevant and worth exploring on the galmap. Its easily bypassed, but also easy to stumble into.

  6. #156
    Dunno if it qualifies, but i try.

    I have been doing the trip beetween sol and seagull neabula 6 times. Every time i noticed that if you move 100 ly above sol plane, all stars are named Wregoe, while the stars below are synuefe near sol, then col 121 sector, then another one.
    In the wregoe plane almost every star is scoopable, and altough there are many M class, it's plenty of FGK, they are super frequent. This plane that i call the Wregoe plane, stretches for at least 4000 Ly from sol toward the seagull nebula east and the coalsack nebula north.

    I learned to travel there: you skip the dwarven ocean 100ly below, that is less interesting and sometimes requires rerouting for fuel scoop. And the wregoe plane is very fertile, i found many life bearing planets and some ELW, and it seems there are more ELW concentrated there. All those FGK, with occasional A and many M, are almost always interesting systems.

    To me it makes a difference becouse:
    Below it's dwarven ocean
    the fgk concentration is incredible, even if i plan a random route every 3 jumps i land in a fgk
    from a visual point of wiev, raising from the ecliptica, you start to see a lot of brighter stars agrregated in small clusters. Initially i used to move up to breathe (fuel scoop), then i realized i could as well travel up.

    So i call it the Wregoe Plane.

    Problem is i don't know how far it stretches.

  7. #157
    Originally Posted by CMDR AKIRA MASAKARI View Post (Source)
    Dunno if it qualifies, but i try.

    I have been doing the trip beetween sol and seagull neabula 6 times. Every time i noticed that if you move 100 ly above sol plane, all stars are named Wregoe, while the stars below are synuefe near sol, then col 121 sector, then another one.
    In the wregoe plane almost every star is scoopable, and altough there are many M class, it's plenty of FGK, they are super frequent. This plane that i call the Wregoe plane, stretches for at least 4000 Ly from sol toward the seagull nebula east and the coalsack nebula north.

    I learned to travel there: you skip the dwarven ocean 100ly below, that is less interesting and sometimes requires rerouting for fuel scoop. And the wregoe plane is very fertile, i found many life bearing planets and some ELW, and it seems there are more ELW concentrated there. All those FGK, with occasional A and many M, are almost always interesting systems.

    To me it makes a difference becouse:
    Below it's dwarven ocean
    the fgk concentration is incredible, even if i plan a random route every 3 jumps i land in a fgk
    from a visual point of wiev, raising from the ecliptica, you start to see a lot of brighter stars agrregated in small clusters. Initially i used to move up to breathe (fuel scoop), then i realized i could as well travel up.

    So i call it the Wregoe Plane.

    Problem is i don't know how far it stretches.
    The "Wregoe Plane". That sounds like an interseting find, right on our doorstep too. Can you provide me with a system name from each of its boundaries (seagull neb and coalsack boundary)?

    It may be too large to mark on the map as it could overlap all the other local map data already marked, but I'll see what I can do.

  8. #158
    Originally Posted by Erimus View Post (Source)
    The "Wregoe Plane". That sounds like an interseting find, right on our doorstep too. Can you provide me with a system name from each of its boundaries (seagull neb and coalsack boundary)?

    It may be too large to mark on the map as it could overlap all the other local map data already marked, but I'll see what I can do.
    Ok Erimus, you just gave me a current expedition goal.
    Now I am at WREGOE CF-R D4-47, 906.44 Ly from Sol. Sol is behind and below ship, Seagull is in front and below. 100Ly under me it's where the Synuefe start to become Col 121 Sector. I will go on toward the seagull and follow the Wregoe plane untill it lasts. Will send you bordering system with pictures if/when i'll find them. After that i will move West and see.
    It will take weeks, i guess we have no hurry.

    Maybe other pilots that are willing to find next exploration goal could check if it goes from sol to other directions.

    EDIT: on the Coal Sack area last one i recorded 2 months ago was WREGOE LR-N D6-106 [832.46 Ly from Sol], containing an ELW with rings. I haven't the slighest idea if it goes further, but that beeing the route to the core probably other explorers have an idea.

  9. #159
    starting to find references:

    http://ollieclark.com/cmdrol/?p=90 from the link:

    The next day after a Chef(TM) full English I headed straight upwards again through the Wregoe Sector. I was off the beaten track now and most systems were undiscovered.
    Wregoe GB-Q C20-1, Wregoe GR-G B41-0 and HIP 58489 even had gas giants with water and ammonia based life. Wregoe YO-D B42-0 had 12 ringed planets, an astounding sight.

    http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/32c1nf/stuck_so_close_from_wregoe_tvl_c240/.compact:

    I am in wregoe VQ-L C24-0 A and there is no way to reach wregoe tv-l c24-0 because the route planner cannot reach it, my jump distance is 36.7

    http://ed-td.space/en/9/System/idSys/23559/nSys/Wregoe+EB-W+b57-0

    http://ed-td.space/en/9/System/idSys...oe+EN-I+c23-11

    So it seems it's indeed above the ecliptical plane, probably it stretches a lot, dunno if it makes sense, but i'll try to understand if it has borders.
    It seems all of these systems where randomly generated, since i can't find a real life reference to Wregoe and stars.

  10. #160
    Great stuff Akira. I'll be updating the maps over the weekend, or early next week, giving them a bit of a overhaul. This data will be a great addition. Cheers!

  11. #161
    Mhhhh, first observations suggest that every star from 100Ly above acliptical to the very end (something like 1000ly above the ecliptical) are called wregoe.

    Wregoe lower limit (where I'm now there's a lower border between synuefe stars)

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wregoe low limit.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	429.8 KB 
ID:	34471


    And it goes up untill it all ends


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wregoe upper limit.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	504.3 KB 
ID:	34472


    I've checked and this does not apply below the ecliptical, systems are not called wregoe

    In following days/weeks i'll look for north/south or east/west borders.

    As much as i would like to be in the list, probably my theory that they have more FGK stars is not true, since the "plane" it's 1000ly thick.

    On other hand it doesn't seem i am the first that "goes up" in the wregoe to fuel scoop. If it has borders it could be a valid entry.

  12. #162
    Lol i hope i'm not posting too much in the thread.

    Thanks to ingame help of CMDR KANCRO VANTAS that is better than me at reading the galaxy map, indeed there is a WREGOE plane, 500-800 Ly wide and circa 900 ly thick. North-East from sol.

    There's a precise up/down border at roughly n/21/-n coordinates.
    Below it, expecially in low density area like toward the seagull, stars are sparse and mostly brown dwarves.
    Above density is better and i'm seeing only scoopable stars.

    All the WREGOE stars are procedully generated, beneath them the very rare know HIP, HD and HR that are mainly giants or OBA and exists for real.

    SCientific data with possibly coordinates will follow (hopefully)

  13. #163
    Coordinates following

    If you open the map, point the four coordinates i'm giving you, and connect them with a line, you will have a square, roughly 1000ly wide, this is the WREGOE Plane, and it is just north east from Sol (i think some wregoe systems might be in the upper NE border of the civilized bubble).

    Imagining the centre of the square:
    South West Corner: 240:n:-200
    North West Corner: 1160:n:200
    North East Corner: 950:n:-1040
    South East Corner: -50:n:-1040

    (Unfortunately the square has his sides like 15° inclined from the galaxy grid so the numbers look strange but it's a square)

    Now for thickness:

    Below Border, wich i call Breathe Threshold, is at n:-21:n (so indeed below Sol)
    Above Border: the galaxy, can vary.

    ROUGHLY we can say thickness to be 1000Ly

    So it could be seen as a cube.

    The interesting think is that you find yourself in that area where star density is low, you can go up and pass the Breathe Threshold, entering the WREGOE plane, fuel scoop, and possibly have better systems to scan.

    Having made a casual FASTEST route just above the Breathe Threshold my sequence of casual stars were: M-F-G-M-M-M-G-M-M-F-A-M-K-M-M-M-M-G-F-K-A-M-M-M-M. (Jump range 33.01Ly). That COMPLETLY DOES NOT MAKE a statistic, still when i'll be in the area i'll stay above the Breathe Threshold lol.

    If all of this makes sense or is of any interest, please mention also CMDR KANCRO VANTAS.

    Salutes from the WREGOE Threshold:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Salutes from WREGOE.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	653.8 KB 
ID:	34478


    P.S. now i will leave your thread alone

  14. #164
    Oh my! Oh my! Master Erimus, so this is your latest ambition? Whoa! Very nice!! Congrats!!

    Not gonna say I read it all, but I did read some of the names you put to some areas! Awesome job, truly!! And very, very tedious and arduous too!

    I want to partake as well, although I'm not as original or as knowledgeable as many here -Zulu Romeo, I'm looking at you- but well, guess little by little you build a sand castle, right?


    Before continue though, I must say I hope you don't get to name your children:

    -"Poor little Vulpecula, she failed social class again!"

    -"Oh well, no wonder!"




    Originally Posted by Murishani View Post (Source)
    Actually the best way to see what I'm talking about is to go look at the statue of liberty in the gal map, go directly up about 100 ly and you'll see a smattering of TT, T, L, and Y stars, if you start moving your camera towards Eta Carina youll see that it extends almost the whole way. It starts above statue of liberty and then moves toward Eta Carina, it then hooks rimward down below Eta Carina and breaks up near NGC 3590 and NGC 3293 a little bit. The trouble here is that if you take a straight line shot from the statue of liberty to Eta Carina, youll run into it. If you drop below the Statue of Liberty and then head to Eta Carina you'll bypass all of it. Looking at the badlands more thoroughly it looks like it might run all the way over to the Orion Sagittarius gap. It seems to closely correspond to that dark spot "L" shaped spot near the Vela Molecular ridge. I attached a little image here to sort of show the section I noted, Im not sure how extensive it really is coreward or rimward but it is bigger than it appears in this image, this is just the section relevant to touring the nebulas.



    Like I said, there's a smattering of scoopable stars all throughout the badlands, I didn't have too much trouble traversing it in a 32-ish range ASP but it would be very easy to strand yourself with a smaller jump range or if not paying attention.
    Originally Posted by Erimus View Post (Source)
    That's excellent, thanks!

    I'll mark it as best I can on the relevant map with a simple outline, like how the other badlands are marked, but I'll make a reference on the description blurb to that great screenshot mockup you made.
    Originally Posted by Murishani View Post (Source)
    Awesome! Name it whatever you like. Eta Carina Badlands, Nebula Badlands, or Vela Molecular Badlands come to mind. Im not sure how far coreward it goes but its definitely relevant and worth exploring on the galmap. Its easily bypassed, but also easy to stumble into.

    OMG!!! OMG!!! I JUST PASSED THAT PATCH TWO WEEKS AGO!!! HATED IT!!.....As Murishani reports, you can still scoop as there are enough stars for it, but you need to be on your toes! Not a good region to tempt luck! Really dry and cold in terms of planets and stars...I went thru the entire thing myself.

    This made me think that ETA CARINA Nebula is actually bigger than just the cloud...as per Wikipedia, it should be kinda of a huge nebula with Eta Carinae being part of it....also NGC 3293 open cluster seemed to be part of the whole thing...though of this unfortunate stretch as a red sea made by the nebula....


    Originally Posted by CMDR AKIRA MASAKARI View Post (Source)
    Lol i hope i'm not posting too much in the thread.

    Thanks to ingame help of CMDR KANCRO VANTAS that is better than me at reading the galaxy map, indeed there is a WREGOE plane, 500-800 Ly wide and circa 900 ly thick. North-East from sol.

    There's a precise up/down border at roughly n/21/-n coordinates.
    Below it, expecially in low density area like toward the seagull, stars are sparse and mostly brown dwarves.
    Above density is better and i'm seeing only scoopable stars.

    All the WREGOE stars are procedully generated, beneath them the very rare know HIP, HD and HR that are mainly giants or OBA and exists for real.

    SCientific data with possibly coordinates will follow (hopefully)
    Nah, thanks for compliments but really didn't do anything, just played with map a bit!!! You did all the hardwork and hard data!!! Way to go!!!


    I will be posting info on this over the weekend!! I have to dig in my notes and previous logs to see what's worthy of mentioning here... I pretty much silly-name systems and ELP's...but if I find a region I'll report!!

    P.S. By the way Erimus, I passed one system explored by you around that area..pic 19 of this album I just made last weekend; https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=142444

  15. #165
    Originally Posted by CMDR AKIRA MASAKARI View Post (Source)
    Coordinates following..
    Hopefully I'll find room on the maps. If it covers too wide an area I may have to just mark it with a numbered index. But all the details about it will go in as its description.

    I think I may even make a deeper scale map for the local region around Sol now, as that's obviously the most well known area of the map with the most gathered data... I'm finding it hard to fit everything on. Will have these updated in a few days.

Page 11 of 162 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast