Page 2 of 151 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: [Information] The Galactic Mapping Project & Expedition Hub

Originally Posted by pHUB4R View Post (Source)
    Great idea.I'm near sagittarius a.Be nice to put names to objects i find interesting.
    There are plenty of supernova remnants with ejecta clouds around the galactic core worth exploring and "tagging"

Is it too cheesy to want to call a system I've just discovered with 4 Water Worlds - Oceana?

What I thought was a stretch of badlands near my position wasn't actually too bad because there were a few type M and K stars scattered throughout it. However I had just flown through 5 systems in a row that only had stars in them. It was beginning to feel a bit barren and I was feeling the need to quench my exploring thirst I then jumped into a system that returned some objects and they looked promising. Once I had scanned the system I had discovered 4 Water Worlds within it, the most I have found in a single system. However I could not quench my thirst there as 3 of them had Ammonia atmospheres... best to stay away I thought.

Elite

Originally Posted by Ozric View Post (Source)
    Is it too cheesy to want to call a system I've just discovered with 4 Water Worlds - Oceana?

What I thought was a stretch of badlands near my position wasn't actually too bad because there were a few type M and K stars scattered throughout it. However I had just flown through 5 systems in a row that only had stars in them. It was beginning to feel a bit barren and I was feeling the need to quench my exploring thirst I then jumped into a system that returned some objects and they looked promising. Once I had scanned the system I had discovered 4 Water Worlds within it, the most I have found in a single system. However I could not quench my thirst there as 3 of them had Ammonia atmospheres... best to stay away I thought.

4 water worlds in one system is quite rare I think, so could be worthy of an index entry

When I get the first dozen or so submissions of interesting locations I'll update the relevant map.

Can we have establishing a station at Sagittarius A* a community goal too?

Dammit I can't give you rep yet, so +Infinity for you sir.

Wonders of the Galaxy | Titus's Law: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison of PVP to Griefing approaches 1" | Gentleman pirate and explorer. @titusballs

I like this. Humanising the Galaxy. I think it would be useful for my FGE friends to help out too: they've seen lots of interesting things.

I haven't been to many places, but one place I've mentioned once or twice before that's close to my heart is Nyuena Ro-Z d184, in what I have called the Nyuena Open Cluster Sector, close to the edge of the northern bulge of the Galaxy some 1800LY directly above Sagittarius A*. In my 22LY-limited Cobra I had an amazing view of the Galaxy below. It's not the highest anybody has been, but it's the highest I have been:

Additional videos of this place:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0fJOdeik2M - an Earth-like water world which I'd now like to call "The Reptile Nest"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RPUqvAnDbE - the sole ringed gas giant which has no name so far
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyCGZl2B7RA - I call this place "New Mars."

I don't have a name for the system, though. Unofficially I once named it "Zulu Point" but that's way too self-indulgent. I dunno, I think as it's up in the roof of the Galaxy I'll call the system "Cracked Canopy."

IMGUR - YOUTUBE - TWITTER - FACEBOOK - #KeepGoingZR

I have screenshots and a location for what I want to call the Annihilator Stellar Nursery, as it is located close to the great annihilator black hole. Will post them when I get home.

Originally Posted by Zion Ravescene View Post (Source)
    I like this. Humanising the Galaxy. I think it would be useful for my FGE friends to help out too: they've seen lots of interesting things.

I haven't been to many places, but one place I've mentioned once or twice before that's close to my heart is Nyuena Ro-Z d184, in what I have called the Nyuena Open Cluster Sector, close to the edge of the northern bulge of the Galaxy some 1800LY directly above Sagittarius A*. In my 22LY-limited Cobra I had an amazing view of the Galaxy below. It's not the highest anybody has been, but it's the highest I have been:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpE3VM4YK7A

Additional videos of this place:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0fJOdeik2M - an Earth-like water world which I'd now like to call "The Reptile Nest"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RPUqvAnDbE - the sole ringed gas giant which has no name so far
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyCGZl2B7RA - I call this place "New Mars."

I don't have a name for the system, though. Unofficially I once named it "Zulu Point" but that's way too self-indulgent. I dunno, I think as it's up in the roof of the Galaxy I'll call the system "Cracked Canopy."

Some cracking POI's there I'll add them to the maps once SirKiwi has submitted his data.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Originally Posted by SirKiwi View Post (Source)
    I have screenshots and a location for what I want to call the Annihilator Stellar Nursery, as it is located close to the great annihilator black hole. Will post them when I get home.
    Remember to list the procedural name too so I can pinpoint it on the map.

Here is the Annihilator Stellar Nursery- a dense bundle of bright, young stars in the sky. There is a lot of mystery surrounding this area, as all these stars showed up in one jump (a glitch or not, I don't know)- guess I must have just gotten close enough then. It is still visible several jumps later, although slightly dimmer. I see a lot of stars but I can't tell exactly where the stellar forge I see in the sky is in the map- it is an obvious surge in B type stars but not what seems to be abnormal throughout the galaxy. There are multiple O types as well. There is a sharp line dividing a huge amount of B type stars, with an area nearly devoid around here. Not sure why. A beautiful sight no matter the details, very dense bright stars, I recommend everyone to come see the Annihilator Nursery.
    I didn't remember to write down the name of the system I saw the nursery from first, and best, but from the system I am in now you can see the nursery and from there get closer to it.
    LEAMUAE BD-V C5-180
    Also, a system I was in earlier with a better view:
    DRYAA FLYI XR-H D11-991

The nursery is over 3000 LY from its namesake, the Great Annihilator, but it seems to be the nearest point of interest so I felt it was appropriate.

Here are some screenshots of the nursery:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_0069.jpg 
Views:	417 
Size:	275.3 KB 
ID:	16320

Name:	Screenshot_0068.jpg 
Views:	422 
Size:	351.9 KB 
ID:	16321

Name:	Screenshot_0064.jpg 
Views:	451 
Size:	394.6 KB 
ID:	16325

If you do visit, please let me know what you think

Edit: My journey continues and so do the huge stars. I dunno what this means anymore- but this area is beautiful.
    I am CMDR IRREFUTABLE LOGIC

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

This user was unable to follow the forum rules and ended up banned or suspended! :(

This is going on my must visit bucketlist

Originally Posted by gingermegs View Post (Source)
    This is going on my must visit bucketlist
    What is?

Originally Posted by Erimus View Post (Source)
    a burned out supernova
    Isn't a supernova an explosion which leaves either a neutron star or black hole in its wake?

Originally Posted by glynie View Post (Source)
    Isn't a supernova an explosion which leaves either a neutron star or black hole in its wake?
    Yeah, pretty much. That would have to just be a nova if I am not mistaken, or perhaps an earlier remnant.

Page 2 of 151 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast