Page 187 of 231 First 183185186187188189191 Last
Results 2,791 to 2,805 of 3454

Thread: [Information] The Galactic Mapping Project & Expedition Hub

Originally Posted by Stivl Writh View Post (Source)
    Name Pink Marshmallow
    GalMap Ref Theau Pri FB-W e2-25
    POI Type Stellar Features
    Description System with 3 main Stars, A : Neutron star; B : White Dwarf (DC) and C : Neutron Star, with a total of 9 other bodies. Nothing strange, except the C 1 body, a Class V gas giant with a very cute flashy pink color.
    Screenshots
    Not doubting the veracity of this, but has anyone else been there to verify that this coloration is persistent?

Hi,

I have two submissions for the galactic mapping project, both planetary nebulas I found during my expeditions.

Cheers,
    Guy

POI type: Planetary nebula
    Name: Sleepy Bear Nebula
    Galmap ref: PHOI AUWSY ZZ-P E5-2734
    Description:
    Single system blue nebula with a central black hole being orbited by two A class stars

Photos:

POI type: Planetary nebula
    Name: Explorer on Tour Nebula
    Galmap ref: SPLOJIO DK-A E8174
    Description:
    Single system red nebula with a central black hole being orbited by one non-landable planet.
    I'd like to dedicate this nebula to the german based 'Explorer on Tour' minor faction.

Photos:

Map updated : from post #2739 to post #2795

Added :

- Gryphon Nebula
    - Ear Of Orion
    - Brindled Black
    - Brain Forest
    - Singularities Playground
    - Gleipnir
    - Conundrum
    - Blua Hypa Glowing Green Giant (GGG 1) : link
    - Floasly Glowing Green Giant (GGG 6) : link

Pending :

- Bloodshot Angel Nebula <-- Waiting for system referencing on EDSM (import journal) LINK

Removed :

- System : Pyrie Euq EW-E c11-0, POI Name : Icarus Spouts
    - System : Ceeckia ER-I b43-0, POI Name : Grill At The End of the Road
    - System : Scheau Flyi KR-W e1-6736, POI Name : Scheau Flyi Weather Project

Not Added :

- Cherie's Companion <-- Close to civilized space a POI has to be even more spectacular than otherwise to be accepted
    - Harpyia <-- Close to civilized space a POI has to be even more spectacular than otherwise to be accepted
    - Close Encounter <-- Interesting, but it can not be applied to the galactic map (maybe a default that must be reported to Frontier ?)
    - Sleepy Bear Nebula <-- Not that unusual and located in an extensively explored area
    - Explorer on Tour Nebula <-- Not that unusual and located in an extensively explored area

For consideration:
    - Update Dumbbell Nebula with image and description of tourist installation found there: link
    - Add Tranquillity's Stop - see also Strange Worlds Episode 20 (at 3:20)

Not sure if these should be added as "Deep Space Outposts" as they have no docking facilities as far as I know.

For consistency, some names have been updated:

Glowing Green Giant 1 -> Blua Hypa Glowing Green Giant
    Bleia Dryiae Green Giant -> Bleia Dryiae Glowing Green Giant
    Glowing Green Giant 6 -> Floasly Glowing Green Giant

Suggestions for more unique names for these sites are welcome

Another CMDR found a second pink gas giant (first one) in system Clooku QS-S d4-145. Does not seem to be in the system database as of yet.

Interesting to note: he said he found the Gas Giant around a Neutron star, the other pink gas giant noted in this very thread also is orbiting a neutron star, so might be a pattern (or just noise, sample size of two of course only).

I hope it's not an engine bug with lighting then (something special to neutron stars maybe), as that would mean these incredibly rare finds would be gone when they fix it. But, like you said, a sample size of just two is not enough to draw conclusions.

O7 !
    Few POI from my last Expedition with DSN group, "Perseus Survey" :

Name: Phorcys Black Hole
    Game map search ref: HYPOEA FLYIAE CW-V E2-0
    Description: Planetary nebula found in he Perseus Arm during the Perseus Survey. It is a purple/pink one and have a small black holl as primary star. The fact with this planetary nebula is that it is located in a quite empty area.
    Screenshot reference:

Name: Collapse of Moros
    Game map search ref: HYPOI GRAAE IH-U E3-31
    Description: Blue planetray nebula another time found in the Perseus Arm during the Perseus Survey. The neutron star is a sign of a massive star collapse few million years ago.
    Screenshot reference:

Name: Theia
    Game map search ref: Hypoi Graae AA-A h61
    Description: Type A SuperGiant with an extrem mass (106.6 Solar masses) can be a beacon for future expeditions in this area.
    Screenshot reference:

Name: Argos eye
    Game map search ref: Lyaisae AV-Y f5744
    Description: This Black Hole is particular due to his location : indeed it is near a red/green planetary nebula. In fact it is enough close to create a beautiful distortion and reveal the showy colors of the nebula.
    Screenshot reference:

Name: Erebos disc
    Game map search ref: Ciesi AA-A h0
    Description: This ringed white dwarf created by a star collapse which hadn't enough mass to generate a supernova welcome you in a beautiful system where the light give us a wonderful vibes.
    Screenshot reference:

Name: Aphros and Bythos rest
    Game map search ref: Phrooe Bliae HI-R d5-77
    Description: These two Aquatic Worlds are distinguished from other binary AW by their extremely close position which make a beautiful view. They were found during the Perseus Survey in the Perseus Arm.
    Screenshot reference:

There's an entry for V355 Monocerotis that says: "There has been rumors in space bars of an asteroid base in this system. But as the system is surrounded by a permit locked region and thus inaccessible, these rumors are unsubstantiated at this time."
    However, the system's population is zero, and doesn't show up as "Human" on the new civilisation filter either. So, I think this could be deleted.
    (Note: there are systems with zero population that do show up as ours, like the permit-locked Witch's Reach.)

Originally Posted by Setu View Post (Source)
    Hi - I wonder if it would be possible to download a copy of the star database?
    I am trying to see if I can find NGC32 in the game - we know the RA and Dec of the star but not it's distance.
    I have a spreadsheet which can take ED co-ordinates and convert them to RA and Dec, and I would like to run that on the database, then sort by RA and Dec and see which is the nearest fit to NGC32, within about 500LY.

The reason for all of this is that friends bought a "name your star" certificate after my wife's dog died, and named the star after it. I said I'd try to visit it, and if it is procedurally named in EDSM, get it named the same as the certificate. The star is in Pegasus, current best guess is HIP 676.
    The star is NGC 32:
    Constellation Pegasus
    Right ascension 00h 10m 53.2s
    Declination +18° 47′ 33″
    It looks like NGC 32 is the two stars 2MASS 00105361+1847455 and 2MASS 00105290+1847200
    These two stars are too faint to be in either Tycho or Hipparcos catalogues.
    In a month or so, Gaia DR2 will come out, which will hopefully have parallaxes for these two stars.
    With apparent magnitudes of 13.1 and 14.3, if they had the same absolute magnitude as the sun, they would be about 1500-2500 ly from Sol, and assuming they're in the same system a separation of between 0.2 and 0.3 ly

Hello fellow explorers and cartographers.

I just happened to be in Oochorrs Lighthouse (HD 43193) and noticed on EDSM it has no screenshot. I've taken a few for your consideration: https://imgur.com/a/cZOmf

Let me know if these aren't suitable. I'll probably hang around there a day or two.

I've got two sites. Same Planet.

Name: Defenders Of Talmor

GalMap Ref: SYNUEFE UY-R B34-0 4a

POI Type: Planetary Features

Description: A complete 360 degree view from this moons highest point of 24Km, the top of the Defenders Of Talmor provides a vista as far as the human eye can see. Countless pyramid shaped mountains cover the entire planet and jut upwards towards the edge of space, most reaching close to 20km across torn land. Surface maps reveal the entire planet to be covered in spikes. Sunset and sunrise will show you unparalleled beauty and grandeur as the neighboring Class T star basks the land in light and you witness this tiny moons companion orbit so close that it appears that you can reach out and touch its surface.

* Coordinates: 32.5613 / 132.8101

Name: The Lens Bearer

GalMap Ref: SYNUEFE UY-R B34-0 4a

POI Type: Planetary Features

Description: A sole mountain stands alone in honor those who chose to dedicate their entire lives to the sacred role of caretaker and Lens Bearer.
    The ones whom without none of this would be possible.

*Coordinates : 49.1828 / 167.9941

A demonstration of the surface map: https://gfycat.com/ImpassionedUnlawfulAustrianpinscher
    An Album of the planet and its features. https://imgur.com/a/U5QOX

Reposted as POI submission

Originally Posted by dnfx91 View Post (Source)
    Recently went back to visit a favourite system of mine for screenshots Noticed there isnt an image on the EDSM website page for the system so would like to provide this one for use on there. https://i.imgur.com/ImeWrrE.jpg
    DRYAU AUSMS KG-Y E3390
    No POI has been submitted for that system. The instructions are in the first post.