Page 205 of 205 FirstFirst ... 195201202203204205
Results 3,061 to 3,070 of 3070

Thread: [Information] The Galactic Mapping Project & Expedition Hub

Honestly, do we have to come up with names for POIs? Can we just use the system name or some kind of variant of it?

They use that too. But for the Listing page it makes sense.

https://www.edsm.net/en/galactic-mapping/listing

Also, when you hover over the map and it pops up with the name, it's more interesting. The names can invoke curiosity.

Surprisingly this large nebula hasn't been submitted yet: (EDIT: I updated the main image for the Nebula below with a better one. EDIT2: Added reference to the system containing trojan bodies as well).

+ + + + + + + +
    POI SUBMISSION

Name: The Clawed Hand Nebula
    Type: Large Stellar Nursery Nebula
    System: Hypuae Scrua AA-A H693 (nebula name). Hypuae Scrua FL-W D2-90 (a system near centre of nebula)

The Hypuae Scrua AA-A H693 Nebula (The Clawed Hand Nebula) is a large red/green dusty Stellar Nursery nebula about 2000 ly above the Galactic Plane near the southern edge of the Eastern Neutron Fields. From certain angles it resembles a clawed hand curling around a jewel, which is the inspiration for its name. It is about 100 lightyears in diameter and contains over a hundred star systems.

As a bonus, at the edge of the nebula lies the Hypuae Scrua EQ-W D2-158 system which contains some worlds in a Trojan orbital configuration (one body orbiting 60 ahead or behind the other in the same orbit)! 4 & 5 are a binary Y dwarf and large icy body, and 6 is another large icy body 60 further around on the same orbit! (see https://imgur.com/QXnSIMN and https://imgur.com/GdfHBdd )

Over how many systems?

Originally Posted by malenfant View Post (Source)
    Honestly, do we have to come up with names for POIs? Can we just use the system name or some kind of variant of it?
    If the suggested POI is interesting, then it's very likely someone will come up with a name even if the submitter doesn't. But it's polite towards the GMP team to suggest a good enough name, so as to save them some work.

EDIT:

Originally Posted by malenfant View Post (Source)
    Surprisingly this large nebula hasn't been submitted yet:

+ + + + + + + +
    POI SUBMISSION

Name: The Clawed Hand Nebula (...)
    Remember that you need to have visited the place for the submission to be valid. If you have, then no worries, it's just that you only submitted pictures from the GalMap.

oops, sorry - "over a hundred systems", I've corrected that now. It's a big nebula

Originally Posted by Frankymole View Post (Source)
    Here's a potential candidate POI for EDSM. WEPAE EG-Y G1378

It's a system of 4 black holes, in two binary confidurations, with another star orbiting them (ABCD 1) It is the latter that is most interesting to visit, being a ringed M-type star (main sequence red dwarf) with large rings (1.5 million km out) of asteroids, a proper complete asteroid belt. Perhaps too far from civilization for mining, but I wouldn't mind trying.

It's fun to drop into but beware, the fringes of the rings are very dimly lit and it is easy to damage your ship by accidentally dropping out of SC due to proximity to them.

Don't have much idea for a name. Since it is a complete rocky asteroid belt around a star, with 4 black holes around, maybe "The Boxing Ring" or similar. You decide.
    Not the most inspirational name perhaps but as a bit of a brain fart... "Diamond in the Rough"?

Resubmitting this again as it doesn't appear to be looked at in the last updates:

Name: Ewoks Rest

System Ref: Clookia NK-M d8-431 https://www.edsm.net/en/system/id/25...ia+NK-M+d8-431

Type: Minor POI/Possible tourist destination/Planetary features

Description:

Earth Like Moon orbiting a gas giant in a tidally locked orbit of 1.5 days. Also ammonia moon in same system that is closer in than the ELW and terraformable bodies, making it somewhat an oddity. Whether this is due to the heat the gas giant (planet 8) is giving off allowing a terraformable zone further out than the stars original goldilocks zone is debatable.

System itself also offers some stunning vistas of various nebulas and dense star clusters and is a green system, making it a perfect stop to top up your material supplies while heading towards the core regions.

Indeed, it looks like a larger number of posts were skipped in the last update. Back then, Andrew Gaspurr wrote in post #3013 that the mapping project was updated, but from #2872 onwards, a number of entries appear to have been overlooked. Resubmitting mine that were left out:

Name: Hengist Nebula
    Game map search ref: Juenae OX-U e2-8852
    Description: A planetary nebula found deep in the core, the Hengist nebula was named after the late Emperor Hengist Duval, who was assassinated a few days after this system was discovered. A terraformable water world orbits the secondary class G star: while it could have been classified as an Earth-like planet, the presence of large amounts of water vapour has heated its atmosphere well above what's considered breathable.
    Screenshot reference: The original post has several screenshots. See: 1 2 3 4

Name: Bartender nebula
    Game map search ref: Dryooe Flyou YT-A e1844
    Description: A planetary nebula found along the route to Colonia, this system consists mostly of gas giants and dwarf stars orbiting the remnant neutron star. Of note is a rather large ammonia world, which is heavy enough to form a binary pair with a gas giant.
    Screenshot reference: 1 2 3 4 5

Typos and updates:
    Rohini: contrary to the entry, the station now has a shipyard. (Not sure when exactly it was added.)

Near and Far 3kpc Arm, Galactic Bar (Region): all three entries say route plotting is difficult in the core, but that's no longer the case.

The Abyss (Region): "interam" -> "interarm"

The Perseus Fade (Region): "Region" -> "A region", "but for few hundred" -> "but for a few hundred"

Centaurus Reach (Region): "lenght" -> "length", "centaurus" -> "Centaurus", "august 3301" -> "August 3301"

Styx (Region): "and do the crossing" -> "and crossing"

Metztli : "Nerus" -> "Nereus"

From Routes:
    The Daedalus Mission:
    "Rifts" -> "Rift's", "Hypoina" -> "Hyponia", "Wings' -> "wing's", "fate of Daedalus" -> "fate of the Daedalus"

Crab Nebula Expedition route: there's no text at all

Rock Rat Run: "I" is incorrectly capitalised as "i" several times

Jmanis Bridge: named after the Commander who first submitted it, but back when I submitted mine, I was told this isn't allowed. Let me know if this has changed since. (Not that I'd like mine to be renamed, mind.)

Posiedal Wall: should be "Poseidal". Also, you might want to remove the " Please let me know if you think this is wrong, and I will change it." line from the entry ;)

Also, shouldn't more Major Expeditions be added?

Then some from the Star clusters category:
    The Remembrance:
    "A globular cluster of 12 Class-O stars. Close-spacing. Each one is approx 40LY apart." -> "A globular cluster of twelve class O stars, closely spaced. Each one is approximately 40 ly apart."

NGC 3603:
    " Early earth scientists" -> "Scientists from the 19th century"

Seven Sapphires Cluster:
    " B0 VZ*" -> "B0 VZ", "Cluster" -> "cluster"

The PW2010 Supercluster:
    "aurrounding" -> "surrounding"

Skull and Crossbones nebula:
    "There are few black holes" -> "There are a few black holes"

The Pomegranate nebula:
    "At 120110125LY in size " -> "At 120 x 110 x 125 ly in size"

Also, one from pulsars:

The Black Widow Pulsar
    : " the pulsar was estimated to move across the galactic plane at a speed of appr. one million miles per hour, which would be more than 20 times the speed of Sol " - I'm fairly certain mph isn't used anywhere in astronomy. I don't know what speeds are used for measuring star movements in the galaxy, but perhaps it would be best to change it to "at a speed of approximately twenty times that of Sol"?

Originally Posted by JonathanBurnage View Post (Source)
    3398LY below the galactic plane - a new record lowest visited system - lie two celestial bodies at opposite ends of stellar evolution: a black hole, and a bright T Tauri star. This seems like one star rising from the ashes of another, so I've called the system Fenix - using the old English variation as Phoenix is already a system in the game!

You can reach this system from Pothaae YE-A g12. Beware it is currently a one-way trip; the real shame is that YE-A g12 has a spectacular close pair of neutron stars, both spinning very fast with huge cones that can be seen from hundreds of light-seconds away - pointed almost straight at AA-A h0. It would be an absolute dead certain double supercharge were it still possible.

I'm on Xbox so I have no flight logs; if someone could please create an entry I'll get half a dozen distances for triangulation.
    As requested:
    Provided by: EDSM - Elite: Dangerous Star Map