Page 204 of 219 FirstFirst ... 199202203204205206209 ... LastLast
Results 3,046 to 3,060 of 3282

Thread: [Information] The Galactic Mapping Project & Expedition Hub

Oh, just one note, since there appears to be a misunderstanding that came up earlier. Whenever I mentioned "giving credit where credit is due", I've always meant that for acknowledging the help of others whose work I used. Perhaps some might use such acknowledgement for their own glory, but that's on them. (Personally, I think that would be silly. Collaborative projects are quite poor for purposes of competition.) It's both a way of thanking those who helped, and if perhaps someone else is interested in the other works of someone whose work they liked, then they can look their name up.
    You might or might not subscribe to the same view as well, it's fine either way: I just thought I'd explain myself more clear now, so that nobody would make false assumptions if this should ever come up again.

Moving on from all this, back to another batch of typos and errors, first from the Regional features category:
    Xibalba: "-2000ly below" -> "2000 ly below", "true to its underworld title. Dark and Hazardous," -> "true to its abyssal title: dark and hazardous", "region, A stern reminder" -> "region, a stern reminder". Personally, I'd remove that last part though, because it can be applied to any other place.

The Great Rift: "the collection of dark nebula (also called absorption nebula)" -> "the collection of dark nebulae (also called absorption nebulae)", "Corona Austr. Dark Region" -> "Corona Australis Dark Region", also some inconsistent capitalisation of nebulae

Gloomgown Mausoleum: " The are by far not comparable" -> "The Mausoleum is not comparable in size"

The Three Kings: this is not an error per se, but could you add a link to the original size of the panorama image by herzbube? (https://imgur.com/a/smJJO) It's a good shot, and looks much better then.

"Süßes Fräulein" (Stellar Forge): "in it's" -> "in its"

Ogairy BV-X e1-1913: note that this only says "placeholder" (just a reminder in case it was accidentally left in)

Titan's Rest: "65ly" -> "65 ly"

Awjila: "ELW's" -> "ELWs", or better, "Earth-like worlds"

A few from the Nebula category (lots to check there):

Heart & Soul Nebulae: "these two nebula" -> "these two nebulae"

Amaethon nebula: "and further expeditions could be made to scout out the nebula further." -> ", giving reason for Commanders to explore the nebula further."

Venetian nebula: "from within the nebulae itself" -> "from within the nebula itself"

Originally Posted by marx View Post (Source)
    Oh, just one note, since there appears to be a misunderstanding that came up earlier. Whenever I mentioned "giving credit where credit is due", I've always meant that for acknowledging the help of others whose work I used. ... It's both a way of thanking those who helped, and if perhaps someone else is interested in the other works of someone whose work they liked, then they can look their name up.
    FYI there is a contributor list in the first post.

Is it sufficiently odd/notable to enter a Sector and find that almost all of the G-mass stars in four subsectors are T Tauri stars (there was only one B and one O system in about 40-50 G-mass systems which were otherwise all T Tauri. The other four G-mass subsectors didn't have anything at all). The four AA-A H systems in the sector are T Tauri as well but they're well outside my range above the top edge of the galactic disc (this is the Systooe Aowsy sector, at the top of the disc above the galactic bar, near the Eastern Neutron Fields)

There are regions in space that are maybe specially coded as being in "active star formation". These indeed can have a huge population of protostars like Herbig/Haros or the more regular T Tauri stars. By "G-mass" I assume you mean one solar mass? That would not be uncommon for a T Tauri star (plus its accretion disk of huge amounts of dust, gas and debris). These areas should be expected near the spiral bars of the core and the areas where the spiral arms begin to branch off, because these areas still hold sufficient dust and gas for "starburst" activity, which increases the pace of star formation greatly, hence more protostars are born and the population is denser.

I think "G-mass" in this context refers to the mass-code in the system names, ranging from "A" (lightest) to "H" (most massive).

Originally Posted by Andrew Gaspurr View Post (Source)
    Added submissions:
    [...]
    - Sisyphos' Rock

Thanks for adding, though the entry is missing the coordinates to the geyser location ( Body/Location: Hyiechou AI-J b36-0 A 2 c a, Coordinates: 24.0°, -134.5° ). Please add them later, thanks again!

Originally Posted by Andrew Gaspurr View Post (Source)
    There are regions in space that are maybe specially coded as being in "active star formation". These indeed can have a huge population of protostars like Herbig/Haros or the more regular T Tauri stars. By "G-mass" I assume you mean one solar mass? That would not be uncommon for a T Tauri star (plus its accretion disk of huge amounts of dust, gas and debris). These areas should be expected near the spiral bars of the core and the areas where the spiral arms begin to branch off, because these areas still hold sufficient dust and gas for "starburst" activity, which increases the pace of star formation greatly, hence more protostars are born and the population is denser.
    By "G-mass" I am indeed referring to the sector mass code (e.g. AA-A, BA-A, CL-Y, DL-Y, EG-Y, FG-Y, YE-A, and ZE-A should all have stars with IDs that start with G in them, e.g. EG-Y G4), I don't know if there's another way of referring to those? If I was talking about spectral types I'd say 'G V' or "Main Sequence G".

Usually G-Mass stars are a mix of black holes, O stars, B stars, etc. In this case, four of those subsectors had no G-mass stars at all (none showed up in the search, probably because this is a 'partial' sector right at the top of the disc so only the bottom part has stars in), and the other four only had about 10-15 T-Tauri stars each. The few AA-A H-Mass stars were also T Tauris.

Also on the way up here the last sector or so (Smumbie) seemed to have no Neutron Stars at all. Usually when I'm plotting my route at this 'altitude' there are neutron stars and white dwarfs all over the place that can be used for Jet Boosts and those get added to the route, but even though that turned on in the route plotter it wasn't using any of those here (I'm about 2650 ly above the plane here). I haven't seen that on my trip, and I've done most of the journey from Colonia at beyond 2000 ly above the plane - usually every other star has been a neutron star at least.

POI submission - Thaae Pri AA-A h0 - Fenix

3398LY below the galactic plane - a new record lowest visited system - lie two celestial bodies at opposite ends of stellar evolution: a black hole, and a bright T Tauri star. This seems like one star rising from the ashes of another, so I've called the system Fenix - using the old English variation as Phoenix is already a system in the game!

You can reach this system from Pothaae YE-A g12. Beware it is currently a one-way trip; the real shame is that YE-A g12 has a spectacular close pair of neutron stars, both spinning very fast with huge cones that can be seen from hundreds of light-seconds away - pointed almost straight at AA-A h0. It would be an absolute dead certain double supercharge were it still possible.

I'm on Xbox so I have no flight logs; if someone could please create an entry I'll get half a dozen distances for triangulation.

POI submission: Phroea Phio KB-R B-51-1 1 A

POI type: Surface POI
    Ref. star: Phroea Phio KB-R B-51-1
    Ref. planet: 1 A
    Coordinates: -18 12

Description: The moons of the first gas giant in system Phroea Phio KB-R B-51-1 have active water geysers. The first moon's geysers are located in a beautiful ice canyon with a nice view on a ringed gas giant. As the moon is tidally locked, there are always plenty of possibilities for nice photos.

I've got a few from a recent 73 day long solo expedition.

Name: CANONN REACH

Game map search ref: SCHEE BLI FG-Y G227 BC 1 (Black Hole Primary Star/Stellar Feature)

Description:
    Canonn Reach was discovered while studying G Mass systems near the core of the galaxy. G Mass systems commonly host binary Neutron, White Dwarf and BlackHoles
    What makes this location exceptional is the view of a Binary White Dwarf and Neutron so close and so large that the jets of energy coming from them appear to touch the surface of Canonn Reach, which is a Non-Volcanic Metal Rich body located on body BC 1.

I was an explorer trying to find my way through this galaxy and Canonn Research Group helped me understand this place more fully. In honor of their open discussions and endless answers to my questions I have dedicated this discovery to the group. It was only through them that this was found.

I hope CMDR's come from far and wide to witness the beauty of this place and hopefully they too can come to understand how to find their way.

Screenshot reference: (POI Thumbnail)
    https://i.imgur.com/lupeCpfh.png (System Map)

Name: DOORWAY TO DUAT

Game map search ref: SCHEE BLI FG-Y G97 (Black Hole Primary Star/Stellar Feature)

Description:
    Doorway To Duat is a Quadruple star system hosting one BlackHole and three Neutron stars. The first two Neutrons in sequence are at a distance to the Black Hole of only 7Ls and 22Ls away, leaving you with an exceptional experience and hopefully some nice photo or video documentation as well.

https://i.imgur.com/2kqRZTXh.png (System Map)

Name: PURPLE RAIN

Game map search ref: LASI RY-R E4-3131 2 A (Black Hole Primary Star/Planetary Nebula/Geyser)

Description:
    Located in a Planetary Nebula/BlackHole System. Purple Rain has many active geysers and a stunning level of beauty that will leave you breathless and induce a truly great feeling within you. Come see this for yourself!
    Coordinates:
    Latitude: 61.3057
    Longitude: -139.5297

https://i.imgur.com/D5lkKKah.png (System Map)
    https://i.imgur.com/lVcRKWEh.png (Proof Of Existence)

All of these POI are covered in cinematic detail in this video.

Greetings, Commanders!

The Road to GCRV 6897
    The previously unreachable Owl Nebula

Imgur Album

This post is to direct anyone's interest towards my post regarding how to reach the previously unreachable Owl Nebula, utilising the new Guardian FSD Boosters.

Please refer to this Forum Post:
    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...ble-Owl-Nebula

Please refer to this Google Document:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...t?usp=drivesdk

I am very impressed by the works of The Galactic Mapping Project, and I'm very happy to be able to make my own contribution.

If there are any questions or queries, do not hesitate to get in contact with me:

Discord: Alky#6460

Discord (A Fallen Commander Expedition): https://discord.gg/tZ3xdkx

In-Game: Kelanen Alcatraz

-- Commander Kelanen Alcatraz

Not sure if this is sufficiently unique and/or interesting to warrant a POI, but I thought it was pretty neat:

+ + + + + + + +
    POI SUBMISSION

Name: Fire & Brimstone

System: Systooe Aowsy YF-F D11-5

+ + + + + + + +
    The primary star of this system is a G V star, but the companion B (M V) and C (L V) stars are in a close binary system about 5000 ls away, and each of those has a non-landable lava world in very tight orbits (the M V's planet is only 2.4 ls from the star with a 4.75 hr orbital period, and the L V's world is only 1.3 ls from it with a 2.83 hour orbital period). The stars themselves are only separated by a distance of 14 ls, and each close planet is clearly visible from the other star. Also the system is 2732 ly above the galactic plane so there are great views of the Milky Way from here (the area also has an unusually low density of neutron stars, white dwarfs, and black holes) but should be accessible to ship with at least 40ly range.

Name:  73-359320_20180711203707_1_stitch.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  37.9 KB

Originally Posted by CMDRGURU951 View Post (Source)
    I've got a few from a recent 73 day long solo expedition.

Name: CANONN REACH

Game map search ref: SCHEE BLI FG-Y G227 BC 1

Description:
    Canonn Reach was discovered while studying G Mass systems near the core of the galaxy. G Mass systems commonly host binary Neutron, White Dwarf and BlackHoles
    What makes this location exceptional is the view of a Binary White Dwarf and Neutron so close and so large that the jets of energy coming from them appear to touch the surface of Canonn Reach, which is a Non-Volcanic Metal Rich body located on body BC 1.

I was an explorer trying to find my way through this galaxy and Canonn Research Group helped me understand this place more fully. In honor of their open discussions and endless answers to my questions I have dedicated this discovery to the group. It was only through them that this was found.

I hope CMDR's come from far and wide to witness the beauty of this place and hopefully they too can come to understand how to find their way.

https://i.imgur.com/lupeCpfh.png (System Map)

Name: DOORWAY TO DUAT

Game map search ref: SCHEE BLI FG-Y G97

Description:
    Doorway To Duat is a Quadruple star system hosting one BlackHole and three Neutron stars. The first two Neutrons in sequence are at a distance to the Black Hole of only 7Ls and 22Ls away, leaving you with an exceptional experience and hopefully some nice photo or video documentation as well.

https://i.imgur.com/2kqRZTXh.png (System Map)

Name: PURPLE RAIN

Game map search ref: LASI RY-R E4-3131 2 A

Description:
    Located in a Planetary Nebula/BlackHole System. Purple Rain has many active geysers and a stunning level of beauty that will leave you breathless and induce a truly great feeling within you. Come see this for yourself!
    Coordinates:
    Latitude: 61.3057
    Longitude: -139.5297

https://i.imgur.com/D5lkKKah.png (System Map)
    https://i.imgur.com/lVcRKWEh.png (Proof Of Existence)

All of these POI are covered in cinematic detail in this video.

All of these are awesome!

Originally Posted by Frang View Post (Source)
    All of these are awesome!
    Thank you. I'm pretty happy about these ones. o7

Here's a potential candidate POI for EDSM. WEPAE EG-Y G1378

It's a system of 4 black holes, in two binary confidurations, with another star orbiting them (ABCD 1) It is the latter that is most interesting to visit, being a ringed M-type star (main sequence red dwarf) with large rings (1.5 million km out) of asteroids, a proper complete asteroid belt. Perhaps too far from civilization for mining, but I wouldn't mind trying.

It's fun to drop into but beware, the fringes of the rings are very dimly lit and it is easy to damage your ship by accidentally dropping out of SC due to proximity to them.

Don't have much idea for a name. Since it is a complete rocky asteroid belt around a star, with 4 black holes around, maybe "The Boxing Ring" or similar. You decide.