Page 477 of 630 FirstFirst ... 472475476477478479482 ... LastLast
Results 7,141 to 7,155 of 9447

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Soontill Relics, the Regor Permit Sector and DB's cryptic hints....

Originally Posted by FalconFly View Post (Source)
    Since we got that name Lyran Betar again in the GalNet news...

I've been toggle-searching for all Systems starting with Beta...

All of them are contained roughly within 1000LY of SOL.
    All except one oddball :

Beta Phoenicis
    http://www.falconfly.de/temp/ELITE-BetaPhoenicis.jpg

Nevermind that it's positioned 10985LY below the Galactic plane...
    Bug ?

Alternative labels for it (acc. to Astronomy Databases) are : HIP 5165 and HD 6595 - which after toggle-searching point to that exact same location
    Interesting find. What is toggle-searching?

Originally Posted by nikos View Post (Source)
    Interesting find. What is toggle-searching?
    Just entering the starting Letters or Word in the Galaxy Map (partial search) and then pressing the Arrow Box right next to it - will toggle through all Systems that start with the letters/word entered in ascending order.
    After all System names are exhausted, the search will begin to show Systems that have Stations/Outposts which names contain the search string.

PS.
    In FFE Beta Lyrae was unreachable due to the Game crashing.
    This one is unreachable due to its (bugged?) location. Still unreachable thou, so that would keep in line with the old meme

Awesome !

I have heard of this mythical toggle search before but did not realize you could do that

Guys have you uhhh checked the latest piece of galnet news? Steven Law has done another great article.

Originally Posted by Kobal View Post (Source)
    I think the UA has been sold at Leonard Nimoy station. Couldn't make sense of the statement after your question beyond "maybe we'll" also why did you use "ban" as a key?
    Don't read anything in to 'ban', I was only using .,.. ......,. ... as a vigenere. And if spaces exist, I ignore them.

edit --
    If space exists, we ignore it.

Originally Posted by SteveLaw View Post (Source)
    We don't know. Very limited evidence seems to suggest that they show up relatively quickly. I wouldn't necessarily eliminate a system if one doesn't show in an hour or so but I'd make a note and move on. Perhaps move closer towards one of the known drops. See if a distinctive change in convoy composition starts to appear.
    When I first went to Timocani I got the UA convoy on the 3rd SSS I checked, but after that I never saw another and I probably checked at least 10. Last night at Reshas I checked 6 SSS and found 2 hafnium convoys but no UA. I think the UA convoys are still very rare.

Originally Posted by FalconFly View Post (Source)
    All of them are contained roughly within 1000LY of SOL.
    All except one oddball :

Beta Phoenicis

Nevermind that it's positioned 10985LY below the Galactic plane...
    Bug ?

Alternative labels for it (acc. to Astronomy Databases) are : HIP 5165 and HD 6595 - which after toggle-searching point to that exact same location
    I think the source data is the problem. Simbad gives its parallax as 0.12 [14.62]. Converting the given value to Ly results in the value seen in the game: 3260/0.12 = 27,000. But look at the error: 14.62. That means Hipparcos really had no idea what the distance to the star is, which is not surprising if the distance is anywhere near accurate (parallax is only sufficiently accurate out to about 1600 Ly). I think the problem is that it's a suspected binary which can screw up Hipparcos' parallax measurement. Another thing to keep in mind is that Hipparcos' parallax measurements of the Pleiades are now considered to be probably wrong. That casts some doubt on all of the Hipparcos data.

Alright well I think I have enough to stay in the top 15% for the last few hours of this CG, I'm going to go hunt for a UA

Our new GalNet article:

Anti-Federation Terrorists Linked to Artefact Research

Over the course of the weekend hundreds of tons of Bio-Waste were dumped in and around stations in 78 Ursae Majoris. This system is currently undergoing preparations for President Halsey's arrival as part of her planned grand tour. A group calling themselves 'The Canonn' claims responsibility for this act.

An anonymous spokesperson told GalNet that they are "a movement of like-minded Commanders seeking the truth about the recently discovered 'Unknown Artefacts'." They state that they are "prepared to use whatever levers are at their disposal to increase the political pressure on the Federation government to force them to come clean." The spokesperson echoed growing fears that the artefacts could be some new weapon of mass destruction.

Parallels were immediately drawn to Dr. Arcanonn and his recent demands to the Federation government following research into the Unknown Artefacts discovered to be transported in Federation convoys. We asked Arcanonn if he was connected to this terrorist group. He denied any responsibility for the group's actions but declined to answer any further questions on the subject of his potential involvement.

However he did go on to say:

"It is clear that we are not the only ones who are growing tired of the Federation's cover-up over these artefacts and some Commanders would seem to be taking more direct action. Obviously, I do not condone such methods but I can certainly sympathise with their frustration."

"In the spirit of seeking to put an end to these disruptive acts I urge all citizens, Federation, Alliance and Empire alike, to petition your government to make public any information that they have on the origin and nature of these objects before these demonstrations escalate. I also appeal to Chief Xeno-Chemist Lyran Betar to contact me so that we can pool our resources and research into these potentially related items, in the search for answers for the common good of all humanity."

Our new GalNet article:

Over the course of the weekend hundreds of tons of Bio-Waste were dumped in and around stations in 78 Ursae Majoris. This system is currently undergoing preparations for President Halsey's arrival as part of her planned grand tour. A group calling themselves 'The Canonn' claims responsibility for this act.

An anonymous spokesperson told GalNet that they are "a movement of like-minded Commanders seeking the truth about the recently discovered 'Unknown Artefacts'." They state that they are "prepared to use whatever levers are at their disposal to increase the political pressure on the Federation government to force them to come clean." The spokesperson echoed growing fears that the artefacts could be some new weapon of mass destruction.

Parallels were immediately drawn to Dr. Arcanonn and his recent demands to the Federation government following research into the Unknown Artefacts discovered to be transported in Federation convoys. We asked Arcanonn if he was connected to this terrorist group. He denied any responsibility for the group's actions but declined to answer any further questions on the subject of his potential involvement.

"It is clear that we are not the only ones who are growing tired of the Federation's cover-up over these artefacts and some Commanders would seem to be taking more direct action. Obviously, I do not condone such methods but I can certainly sympathise with their frustration."

"In the spirit of seeking to put an end to these disruptive acts I urge all citizens, Federation, Alliance and Empire alike, to petition your government to make public any information that they have on the origin and nature of these objects before these demonstrations escalate. I also appeal to Chief Xeno-Chemist Lyran Betar to contact me so that we can pool our resources and research into these potentially related items, in the search for answers for the common good of all humanity."
    I know I sound like a teenager, but am really loving how this story is developing - this interplay between the sim universe (FDev) and the community is brilliant.

Originally Posted by LordZoltan View Post (Source)
    I know I sound like a teenager, but am really loving how this story is developing - this interplay between the sim universe (FDev) and the community is brilliant.
    Likewise.

FD have done a great job, but I think the community of posters on this forum are what have made it special. The effort and teamwork is amazing. Well done you all.

What will the Devs do next?! The anticipation! Just like Christmas! Then what will "The Canonn" do next!!! How will the Scientists respond?! Will Halsey come clean?

Some one needs to write this whole story as a piece of fiction. Any budding writers want to do interviews with "The Ring Leaders"?.......THIS cold be a great new novel. True story in a virtual world.... could be a first! Drew? Kahina is on the fringe of this....

Our new GalNet article:

Can't rep you again - but +1 for this.