Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Galactic Tour Of Wonders! - Pics

Cool Galactic Tour Of Wonders! - Pics

***To make for an easier browsing, I didn't tag any picture as spoil. Scroll down at your own risk!***
    ***EDIT 2: following suggestion, I wrapped them as spoil to ease on data plans***

Wanting to get some items off my bucket list of places to visit in the Galaxy, I arranged a Galactic Tour to cover key Points Of Interest, collect data, and bring it back home to my independent faction.

I could tell you lots, and lots about it...but you'll be bored by the time I make it to the middle! So I decided to collect the best 30 shots I have taken so far, and keep updating as I go.

Before that, here are the expedition goals and dates! Thanks for watching the pics and let me know your comments!

DEPARTED:
    SANTJALAN (Martinez City) - April 12th, 3301

I-Statue Of Liberty Nebula - Reached: April 19th

II-Eta Carinae System - Reached: April 21th

III-NGC 3293 Nebula - Reached: April 23th

IV-Eta Carina Nebula - Reached: April 25th

V-Greae Phio - En Route

VI-Sagittarius A*

VII-Neutron Field

VIII-Eagle Nebula

1-Martinez City Scientific Outpost
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-Martinez City.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	467.2 KB 
ID:	33376

The Orinoco lies on Pad #3 as the Flight Director runs the final checklist just minutes before departure.

2- Last Homely Home

Name:	2-Mawson Port.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	391.0 KB 
ID:	33377

Mawson Port in the system HIP 65921 is one of the northern systems in the civilized bubble. Used for many explorer's as LHH before venturing out to the void, this mining outpost is close to a very nice metallic planet and you can see a ringed giant in the distance, next to it.

3- The Pad at Mawson Port

Name:	3-Mawson Port Pad.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	430.6 KB 
ID:	33378

I was sipping some coffee in the lounge, waiting for paperwork and the last load of food to be loaded, when I caught the planet "rising" in the background. Couldn't help it! I will not see a port again in a long, long time.

4.- Transit

Name:	4-Transit.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	156.8 KB 
ID:	33379

One of my favorite things to do is to locate a planet with a tight orbit and watch it pass in front of their star.

5- A Ringed Ammonia World

Name:	5-Ammonia Ringed.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	263.1 KB 
ID:	33380

Any ringed world is a favorite!

6-Yellow

Name:	6-Yellow Planet.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	191.4 KB 
ID:	33381

High Metal content, with clouds.

7- Orange

Name:	7-Orange Planet.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	224.7 KB 
ID:	33382

Another HiMet with clouds.

8- White and Yellow Cheeses

Name:	8-White and Yellow Moons.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	315.3 KB 
ID:	33383

If they were real cheeses, these two moons would have parted ways due to low gravity force to keep them together.

9-Ringed Gas Giant

Name:	9 - Gas Giant with Ringed Planet in BG.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	210.1 KB 
ID:	33384

Note the remote ringed planet in the background.

10-From One Star to Another

Name:	10 - From One Star to The Other.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	157.1 KB 
ID:	33385

A binary system.

11-Twin Shepherds

Name:	11-Twin Shepherd Moons.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	192.0 KB 
ID:	33386

Shepherd moons dancing together, keep these rings in tight formation around their host giant planet.

12-T-Tauri

Name:	12- T-Tauri.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	240.7 KB 
ID:	33387

Young proto stars, they normally spin so fast!!

13- Blinding Eta Carinae

Name:	13-Blinding Eta Carinae.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	530.9 KB 
ID:	33388

Dubbed "The Brightest Star in the Milky Way", this binary system millions times brighter than the Sun, is actually the brightest in the vicinity of Earth and is quickly approaching its Supernova dead.

14-Eta Carinae Beauty

Name:	14-Eta Carinae.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	33389

Very elegant and beautiful system, the main star is 120 Sun Masses, and its companion is 30 Sun Masses. There is also one planet in the in-game system.

15-NGC 3293

Name:	15-NGC 3293.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	186.2 KB 
ID:	33390

This open cluster is spotted across this region. Is composed by roughly 92 stars of the O,B and A classes. Here, spotted at about 250 ly distance.

16-Rainbow

Name:	16- Rainbow Stars.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	121.8 KB 
ID:	33391

A G, Red Dwarf, Brown Dwarf, NGC 3293 and the Orinoco in the foreground.

17-Holy Trinity

Name:	17- Holy Trinity.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	248.9 KB 
ID:	33392

One A and two F's stars locked in an eternal dance.

18-White

Name:	18- Icy Moon Near Eta Carina.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	439.2 KB 
ID:	33393

Icy cold world, with matching ring. In the background, Eta Carinae Nebula, not too far in the distance.

19-A Pioneer's Footprint

Name:	19- A Pioneer's Footprint.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	333.3 KB 
ID:	33394

It is always glad to find the trail of one of the greatest inspiration for all explorers in the galaxy. Of course, he didn't leave a single moon unexplored, so I moved on!

20-Eta Carina Nebula

Name:	20- Eta Carina Up Close.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	311.3 KB 
ID:	33395

Four times as big as Orion Nebula, this large one comprises the open clusters nearby, including NGC 3293. It was a sea of red dwarfs leading to it.

21-Basking in Real Glory

Name:	21- Basking In Real Glory.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	452.8 KB 
ID:	33396

The Orinoco takes a refueling dive on this real Emperor of the skies.

22-Ringed Water

Name:	22- Ringed Water World.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	205.4 KB 
ID:	33397

A peculiar world that managed to be completely covered in water, with a rocky set of rings around it.

23-The Wolf, The Shepherd, The Herd and The Farmer

Name:	23- Orinoco, Shepherd Moon and Giant.jpg 
Size:	173.7 KB 
ID:	33398

24-A Ringed Moon

Name:	24- Ringed Moon.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	208.5 KB 
ID:	33399

Always fascinating, this is a rocky moon, with icy rings.

25-Peek A Boo!

Name:	25- Peek A Boo!.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	426.2 KB 
ID:	33400

A stars seems to be peeking from behind its companion in this binary system.

26-Blue

Name:	26- Water World.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	133.9 KB 
ID:	33401

Adding to the palette of colors, this picture shows the Orinoco as it emerges from a Water World.

27-Magnitude

Name:	27- Magnitude.jpg 
Size:	249.5 KB 
ID:	33402

Galaxy, Star, Planet, Moon and Vessel picturing the difference of time and space, from small to great.

28-The Jedi Planet

Name:	28- Jedi Planet.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	234.4 KB 
ID:	33403

Took this selfie of a HiMet while aligning it with the Milky Way in the background. This is the results: a planet with a double laser sabre!

29- 2nd Ammonia World Ringed

Name:	29- Second Ringed Ammonia World.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	287.3 KB 
ID:	33404

The smell might not be good at all, but they strike me as absolutely beautiful, complex and sophisticated worlds. Add rings and they are just stunning!

30- Hope & Perseverance

Name:	30- Perseverance.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	249.5 KB 
ID:	33405

After 19 days and 11,000 light years of travel, I finally found the Prima Donna of this trip: An Earth Like Planet. Still unregistered. its been the hardest and longest search for an ELP I had yet endured in my explorations. I can't but feel moved every time I find one of these. I think of Earth, so far from here now, and I wonder "When did it all go wrong?" Being out here, in the lookout for ELP's, one gets to understand that these are far in between, very rare indeed, and that our Earth is a jewel of the Universe, not a common asset. Statistics point out that there are millions of "Earths" in the Milky Way but in a Galaxy that count stars in billions, that doesn't translate in abundance...I hope we understand this before is too late in our own history as species.

You missed Jewelbox star cluster on the route to Eta Carinae and Statue of Liberty nebulaes

I missed the Jewel Box. I passed SoL but rather small and, quite honestly didnt see much noteworthy. The whole area, not only the nebula, is already explored or full of dwarfs.

UPDATE:

05/04/3301 - Very productive weekend. Yesterday I found 2 more ELP's within 13 jumps of each other, both orbiting M stars. Still unregistered and will post pictures on next update! Very excited though, as it seems my luck has finally changed after 11,000 ly of travels. Still, 18,000 ly from SAG A* and advancing at more or less 1,000 ly per day. Stay tuned.

Nice pics man! Just outside Eta Carina now. Had a look at some of those Trumpler O class stars!! Bonkers sight. Lovely.

Well done!! I love it!

CMDR RexKraemer

Originally Posted by hoppingdeth View Post (Source)
    Nice pics man! Just outside Eta Carina now. Had a look at some of those Trumpler O class stars!! Bonkers sight. Lovely.
    Enjoy the view and do not miss the Jewel Box..I just didnt know about it after it was too late!!

As per the NGC 3293 -I checked just half of it, all was claimed already!

Originally Posted by RexKraemer View Post (Source)
    Well done!! I love it!

CMDR RexKraemer
    Thank you CMDR!!! Will keep updates, and upload second batch of pics in a few days!

Originally Posted by Kancro Vantas View Post (Source)
    UPDATE:

05/04/3301 - Very productive weekend. Yesterday I found 2 more ELP's within 13 jumps of each other, both orbiting M stars. Still unregistered and will post pictures on next update! Very excited though, as it seems my luck has finally changed after 11,000 ly of travels. Still, 18,000 ly from SAG A* and advancing at more or less 1,000 ly per day. Stay tuned.
    Grats!!!! 2 orbiting M is a fantastic discovery!!!
    I made it back from my Seagull Sector Expedition and on the way back found one orbiting a K.
    Good luck and take care to make it back so you'll register the data!

Edit, seems, i have to spam rep more, so virtual +1

Awesome pics! Looks like a great journey thru the galaxy.

Those are awesome pictures. My favorite I would have to say is the one of your ship docked with the dark planet in that background. Awesome.

Originally Posted by CMDR Red Barron View Post (Source)
    Awesome pics! Looks like a great journey thru the galaxy.
    Originally Posted by Jaso0074 View Post (Source)
    Those are awesome pictures. My favorite I would have to say is the one of your ship docked with the dark planet in that background. Awesome.
    Thank you!!! Glad you enjoy them!!! It really took me a while to pick my favorite ones...and the one with the planet is really beautiful and striking! I was a little bit hesitant to include it in the bacth becuase wanted to show more deep space and only one pic of stations but that last homely home was truly something else!

Love the pictures
    The point of spoilers is mainly for people on slower devices/mobiles/data plan

Originally Posted by dognosh View Post (Source)
    Love the pictures
    The point of spoilers is mainly for people on slower devices/mobiles/data plan
    Oh thank you!!! I never thought of it! In my iPhone I don't really have a choice, all spoilers show up automatically with me not having options to hide them or not. Just assumed it was the same for everyone else!

Apologies and will edit later tonite!

Thanks for the compliments on the pics! Glad you liked them!

Made the changes! Wrapped the pics in spoiler tags for more data-friendly browsing!

Looking forward for journal updates and pics!!!!
    Why this thread is not in the sticky list?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast