Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567811 ... LastLast

Thread: GUIDE: Planet sounds and how to know everything from System Map.

I've found another ammonia world and listened to the 16 i have discovered. Even if they are not completly silent like i originally stated, their quietness is very clear if compared to every other rocky planets. So i only slightly changed the openining post. Noone i ever found is "very loud", expecially if compared with every other rocky planet they only emitt a faint buzzing sound, and they COMPLETLY silence the background music, wich is their distinctive trait.

People stating otherwise are submitting pictures, wich are not usefull as a sound proof.

I also would like to repeat that this guide doesn't want to give an 100% accurate description of every planet sound, but wants to give a quick reference on how to spot objects of interest from the system map.

Very interesting read, I'm out on a explore,looking for interesting things.I will test this out later when back online.. could be a great exploring tool.

Given it a try out,,, intresting. although i would use it while traveling longer distance to the object to discern more infomation.
    normally i would decide on objects worth the journey from visual identification as well as the likely place of the goldilocks zone , from the Suns stellar type and mass and the planets size ( earth mass )
    for a quick ref visual guide until you get more familiar with the types,
    http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/...20150302224634
    its by no means a complete guide, more a base template for standard types,, there can be quite intresting variations which i always look for..
    Name:  11703141_449581288555369_7416139151857554591_n.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  62.5 KBName:  11703095_449581308555367_3506924401560889820_n.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  79.0 KB this was quite a strange looking object,, worth the journey to the 2nd star, a muddy Ammonia world, that was before i tried listening to them,, i bet it would have sounded different

Holy Ships,,, you are onto something massive here i think,. got a proper chance to try this out boosting the sounds,, cutting all music.
    there are nice differences, i've listened to a few things,, not only planets. and can do it all from the system map anywhere,,

Whats more,, not only system maps, Try this out on Galmap,, pick a target system, select it,, then zoom in and listen to the systems!

each one has its own signature... now this has me wondering about the 'Unknown Artifact', ive been following that thread a bit too, now what if that object is looking for the right system and place.
    ive tracked down 3 of the recordings that have been made ..
    http://elite.darke.org.uk/sample_1.mp3
    http://elite.darke.org.uk/sample_2.mp3
    http://elite.darke.org.uk/sample_3.mp3

now i'm looking through the galmap trying to find the sound makeup of stars,,, each system is quite unite it seems, specially with binary, and multiple sun systems, i think the signal from the unknown artifact will be a location it needs taking to.

Awesome stuff OP! Gonna try this out next time I'm out in the big black. The one ELW I've discovered to date, looked nothing like an ELW in the map view.... and i probably would have missed it if I wasn't such a WW junkie.

This guide helped me a lot on my first trip. Thx OP!

I will be investigating the ammonia ones more,,one I found had oceans of ammonia,and continents,ammonia life too,and it did have sound,after 5 seconds or so in the quiet,there is bubbling ripple sound,hard to describe
    Will try make a recording later on when back online and out exploring again

will try describe it,... Planet has a deep bass sound that pulses, like a heartbeat, eerie sounds and quiet,,
    some winds come and go,every 30 seconds, with a chittering elecetronic sound,, sounds like a computer modem or fax machine at times. definately not regular wind sound.
    Name:  Carbon-Ammonia-based-life.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  269.8 KB Maybe its the strange Carbon-Ammonia-Based life. Managed to slideshow it as a video, got a link for recording now.
    6-12 seconds and then again at 38-44 seconds ,. the strange chittering electronic wind type sound.

i will go investigate some other Ammonia as i find them,, that one i listened on galmap from previous discovered one earlier in the week

Originally Posted by Murishani View Post (Source)
    You're POSITIVE this was an ammonia world? If it was, we need to check the other ammonia worlds, if not, this could be a major thing. Do you have co-ordinates?
    I'm finding Ammonia worlds with sound. I'm finding it harder to find them without sound actually. You may be skipping a lot

I am guessing it is like some of the other types like high metal content that sound one way with no atmosphere but sound entirely different based on their atmosphere.

Originally Posted by Grey Steel View Post (Source)
    I'm finding Ammonia worlds with sound. I'm finding it harder to find them without sound actually. You may be skipping a lot

I am guessing it is like some of the other types like high metal content that sound one way with no atmosphere but sound entirely different based on their atmosphere.
    In the guide there's no more written they are silent, there's written they are WAY more quiet than other rocky planets.
    Yesterday i discovered another 2, and now i have 19 in 2800 system visited, wich is completly on the average.
    Ammonia worlds are that quieter than other planets than the difference is very clear. This is enough for the guide porpuse and i very gladly consider the argument exausted.

Originally Posted by CMDR AKIRA MASAKARI View Post (Source)
    i very gladly consider the argument exausted.
    I take it you're new to the internet? Arguments are never exhausted here

Hi,

Nice thread here!

Listening to stellar podies too and I think that Rocky world with terraforming canditate can also be found just listening. The sound is like HMC but the "guitar" is more intense with some wind blowing. Some of the rocky tc's that i found (not discover)

System ......................... Component
    HIP 5442 ....................... 4A
    HIP 5442 ....................... 5A
    Synuefe UW-I d10-40 ...... A 2A
    Arietis Sector FG-Y D68 B . 6A
    HD 36560 ..................... 10A

Originally Posted by CMDR Boozeman View Post (Source)
    Hi,

Nice thread here!

Listening to stellar podies too and I think that Rocky world with terraforming canditate can also be found just listening. The sound is like HMC but the "guitar" is more intense with some wind blowing. Some of the rocky tc's that i found (not discover)

System ......................... Component
    HIP 5442 ....................... 4A
    HIP 5442 ....................... 5A
    Synuefe UW-I d10-40 ...... A 2A
    Arietis Sector FG-Y D68 B . 6A
    HD 36560 ..................... 10A
    Thanks for the info.
    I have 150 terraformable high metals in my database, and i came to the conclusion that the difference in sound is only due to atmosphere composition, wich doesn't make for terraformable. Basically i could not discover an unique sound pattern that defines a terraformable, also becouse some terraformable don't have atmosphere at all while other are under venus like atmospheres.
    I think that a basic knowledge of goldilock zones (distance from star versus star type) can give the best guessing about terraformable or not, and in my experience sounds are not clearly and immediatly helpfull.

If there's a sound pattern, but it requires you to listen to the planet track for a long time, the purpose of the guide that is making you save time, is gone.

Originally Posted by CMDR AKIRA MASAKARI View Post (Source)
    Thanks for the info.
    I have 150 terraformable high metals in my database, and i came to the conclusion that the difference in sound is only due to atmosphere composition, wich doesn't make for terraformable. Basically i could not discover an unique sound pattern that defines a terraformable, also becouse some terraformable don't have atmosphere at all while other are under venus like atmospheres.
    I think that a basic knowledge of goldilock zones (distance from star versus star type) can give the best guessing about terraformable or not, and in my experience sounds are not clearly and immediatly helpfull.

If there's a sound pattern, but it requires you to listen to the planet track for a long time, the purpose of the guide that is making you save time, is gone.
    Hi,

Just found out the same thing about terraformables. I will continue to scan rocky ones with atmosphere if they are somewhat right distance. Rocky + TC average DSS-price is now about 30700cr (based to 4 objects)

This all is a great find. However I'd go nuts if I went exploring without some music on my media player, so I don't hear the planetary sounds.

Originally Posted by Cmdr. Numa View Post (Source)
    This all is a great find. However I'd go nuts if I went exploring without some music on my media player, so I don't hear the planetary sounds.
    That's half the reason I don't listen to them.

That plus I like the anticipation of chasing across the system to a blue planet wondering if this one is an earth like and that would be gone if I could just listen to it from thousands of light seconds away.

Originally Posted by RogueMason View Post (Source)
    Umm, I encountered an ammonia world earlier that wasn't silent in the system map. In fact, it actually produced a sort of hybrid between a water world and the noises made by Unknown Artefacts (you know, those alien things that everyone's buzzed up about?). Sort of... alien water bubbles and 'chirps' that I thought completely fit with the world-type.

Next ammonia world that anyone finds, turn the volume up and listen for it. I know I'll be doing the same at the next one I come across...
    I have mentioned this before in other threads, but no one seems to listen, so I had given up. It's how I distinguish Ammonia worlds that have an annoying habit of looking like so many other types of planet...

Z...

- - - Updated - - -

Originally Posted by Arjin View Post (Source)
    This Ammonia world sings very loudly!! I didn't discover it firstl but it sure was neat sounding.

Attachment 47786

Attachment 47787
    I actually found one almost exactly like that just a few minutes ago. I had discovered one a few minutes before that, and that looked like a large rocky planet (The description, oddly enough, was Ammonia & Water world)...

Seems to be a pocket of them that I have stumbled into, I've found 5 in the last hour. (I'm 65k Ly from Sol, so not an quick and easy p[lace to get to...).

Z...

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567811 ... LastLast