Page 93 of 99 First 89919293949597 Last
Results 1,381 to 1,395 of 1484

Thread: Infinity Battlescape

Weekly Update #117

Originally posted by I-NovaeFlavien CTO/President & Cofounder - source link

This week we released two short videos showcasing some of the recent updates from the alpha version. First of all, the station destruction propagation effect. For demonstration purposes, the whole station explodes as soon as a single module is destroyed, however in game the players need to reach a destruction threshold before this actually happens. If you watch carefully you’ll see how modules explode after one another until the whole station is damaged:

In this second video, you can see the Glimmerfall asteroid station / factory hybrid that was mentionned in last week’s update:

Last week I also mentionned that we started to work on haulers. At the moment, factories generate credits directly at a certain rate per minute. These credits get stored in a team-shared pool and redistributed to players and to the AI commander every once in a while. Once we introduce haulers, this will change. Instead of generating credits directly, factories will instead spawn a hauler controlled by the AI that will fly to other stations / bases in the star system. When they reach their destination they will turn their internal cargo resources into credits for the team. So one of the ways to get an advantage over the enemy team is to destroy their haulers in order to shut down some of their credits income. This will also provide more dynamic objectives and points of conflicts between the players.

There are basically three steps to implement them. The first step is generating a realistic navigation path between the factory hangar and the destination installation ( most likely a space station ) hangar. This path must be generated in a smart way. A straight line would be no good, maybe passing through the center of the planet if the destination is on the other side.

Bomber flying near a land base

The second step is to make the hauler AI fly along the path and react to being under attack ( sending a distress signal and trying to flee ). This should be relatively easy, as the existing bots can already do that to some extent. One issue is that the distance between the factory and the destination might be very far away ( potentially tens of thousands of Kilometers ), so flying the hauler at low conventional speeds ( < 1 km / s ) means it could take hours for a single hauler to reach its objective. This is no good either as we want to generate credits for the team on a pretty regular basis, every few minutes; so even if there are many haulers flying around, it’d still take too much time to gather credits.

Instead of flying at conventional speed all the way, haulers will enter warp after flying at conventional speed for a few minutes. Enemy players will have to force them out of warp. We’re currently figuring out the mechanics for that, but for our initial implementation we are planning on introducing an active warp interdiction system where you press a key to deploy a warp-jam field around your ship for a few seconds and force any enemy within that range to warp out. Only corvettes or capital ships will be equipped with this device, so that an interceptor cannot force a bigger ship out of warp.

Land-base on another planet

More news on the implementation of haulers next week. I currently have no ETA for the next patch including haulers, so I do not guarantee that it will be available this week-end.

-Flavien Brebion

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Infinity: Battlescape website: https://inovaestudios.com/Battlescape

Infinity: Battlescape forums: https://forums.inovaestudios.com

Pledge Upgrade: https://inovaestudios.com/Account#products

This looks actually much better than I expected!

Originally Posted by optimal_909 View Post (Source)
    This looks actually much better than I expected!
    I cannot wait for expanded control schemes so i can use full HOTAS/Pedals/TrackIR combo.

Weekly Update #118

Greetings everybody. This week in Infinity: Battlescape, we have been working on the haulers implementation. The algorithm to figure out a navigation path between planets has taken more time than anticipated but should be resolved this week. We are actually planning on making it more generic than just establishing a route for haulers, so that the algorithm can be reused for AI bots later on when we revisit the AI commander which assembles a fleet of ships. At the moment the AI commander spawns the fleet in range of the objective ( a couple hundred Kilometers away from it ) which means that it is not possible to scout and prepare for an enemy fleet’s arrival. In the future, with this new navigation path algorithm each NPC in the assembled fleet could spawn at an ally team’s station and navigate through the star system to reach the objective to attack. This will make scouting enemy fleets a strategical part of the game.

Heated battle around a station

Of course, we’re not there yet. For now this algorithm will be exclusively used for establishing a trade route for haulers. Haulers will enter warp once they reach low orbit, so as I mentionned last time, we’re going to introduce a warp interdiction mechanic in the next patch. The way it will be implemented is by introducing internal ship equipments that will consume cargo points ( bigger ships will have a higher amount of cargo points ). In the future we will also introduce more internal ship equipments and probably turn some of the existing functionalities ( ex.: warp drive ) into ship equipments. The goal in the longer term ( in a few months, but before beta ) is to introduce a loadout customization menu where the player can select which weapons to mount on hardpoints and which equipments to fit in the internal ship cargo. This might possibly affect the ship mass and physics.

Battle around another station

This week I’ve also been investigating many technical bugs on the server side. I’m happy to report that two crashes were fixed ( the actual server hasn’t been patched yet though ) and a third one is currently under progress. We read some feedback from the community about weapons on capital ships lacking player skill, so in the next patch we are going to make an experiment for turrets that will now manually fire at the mouse cursor instead of being auto-aiming. This will only apply to the main / heaviest weapons, the light anti-fighter turrets will still pick up a nearby target and aim at it automatically.

Once the haulers patch is out, we’ll resume work on carriers spawning ( which sadly couldn’t make it into the alpha ) and the star map ( which is really a big blocker at the moment to figure out the game objectives ).

-Flavien Brebion

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Atmospheric Landings, Massive Spaceship Battles - What is Infinity Battlescape?

Posted by ObsidianAnt - Youtube

I downloaded the client for the first time yesterday, and oh boy was it good, the ships felt good, the controls was great, the graphics oh man they are just up there.
    Awesome work from a small team on a budget tiny as heck.

SC and ED with their huge budgets really need to get their act together.

Originally Posted by lysan View Post (Source)
    I downloaded the client for the first time yesterday
    Wait, I am a bit out of the loop, but how? Or is this some backer thing?

Originally Posted by lysan View Post (Source)
    SC and ED with their huge budgets really need to get their act together.
    I dont think you can compare really, this is basically just a shooter, no? Thats no criticism btw, if anything I feel that new space gamers should aim to do one thing ED does, but do it better (space exploration, trading, combat, mining, smuggling: each could be a great game on its own with sufficient depth). As long as people dont aim to 'be like ED but better' than small teams have tons of space (sorry) in the genre to find their own well-deserved niche audience.

Originally Posted by sleutelbos View Post (Source)
    Wait, I am a bit out of the loop, but how? Or is this some backer thing?

I dont think you can compare really, this is basically just a shooter, no? Thats no criticism btw, if anything I feel that new space gamers should aim to do one thing ED does, but do it better (space exploration, trading, combat, mining, smuggling: each could be a great game on its own with sufficient depth). As long as people dont aim to 'be like ED but better' than small teams have tons of space (sorry) in the genre to find their own well-deserved niche audience.
    What I'm saying is that if I look at the planets from far away, they look sharp and "crisp" not blurry and dull. My point with a small team and a tiny budget they actually made something that is awesome. Sure ED got a lot more going, however they also are missing a lot in how they do things. Not going to address that here because the is about I:W.

but I had fun from start to finish and that is good, combat around a station is fun, ED take notes.

Weekly Update #119

This week in Infinity: Battlescape, we have continued to work on the hauler, which has turned out to be more complex than anticipated. The AI navigation path is now almost finished but still far from perfect. A path can be generated from a planetary ground installation to another, either on the same planet or another planet. The path generator properly sets up a course to avoid collisions with a planet, which as you can imagine is pretty useful

What it currently doesn’t do (yet) is to figure out whether there’s a third-party planet ( like a gas giant ) in the way. Also some generated paths are sub optimal, but improving the algorithm can be deferred to another iteration, so I think it’s good enough for our first implementation.

Planet-to-planet generated path

Jan and Kristian have been working on the warp interdiction visual effect and sound which is now ready for the upcoming patch. Our artists have also been working on the carrier geometry for a while ( although at a lower priority due to other tasks ) but an update will be coming in a few weeks. Finally, Dan and Kristian have started to work on the Kickstarter-exclusive mercenery operative interceptor reward which will be a cosmetic alternative to the current interceptor.

Warp interdiction effect WIP

In other news, ObsidiantAnt has published a small video of Infinity: Battlescape’s Alpha, which you can view here:

That’s it for now, see you next week !

-Flavien Brebion

Weekly Update #120

This week, I will keep the update short. Jan and Kristian have been in vacation and Dan is still busy on figuring out the mercenary op interceptor variant. Our art team has also been working on the carrier for a while now, updating the geometry and refining the shapes and plating, adding asymmetric details here and there. Many parts are still placeholder, but you can see a new work in progress render below:

Carrier WIP render

Keith has been working on the backend to support direct pledging on our website, without passing through IndieGoGo. Doing so will be a huge step up in properly communicating instructions to new backers and being able to play the game as soon as the pledge is registered ( there are limitations on IGG that prevent us from being as user-friendly as we’d like to be, resulting in many support e-mails ). Testing the new pledge system will take a little while but should be available within a few weeks.

Finally, on the game side, haulers path generation is now complete. Last week I mentionned that it still had to avoid third-party planets in the way ( like in the scenario where you have a gas giant and two moons: the hauler spawns on one moon, and has its destination on the second moon, which is on the other side of the gas giant ! ), this problem is now solved. I have tested the algorithm in a bunch of configuration scenarios, but due to the pseudo-randomized nature of the Battlescapes at match startup it might be possible for the generated path to be sub-optimal or even buggy. We will have to test it in real conditions and improve it over time if needed.

Haulers path between moon-gasgiant-moon

The next step is having the haulers follow this navigation path and enter / exit warp. Fortunately most of the AI code is already written thanks to the existing bots so this step shouldn’t take more than a day or two of implementation and testing. After that we’ll still need to implement the warp interdiction, which should go fairly quickly, and produce the new patch.

-Flavien Brebion

Information for our Second Alpha Community Gathering

Originally posted by I-Novae Hutchings - Developer/Artist - source

I’ll also schedule future events more advance warning, so we can get more players online. Please let me know if you have a preferred time, or if this time works well enough (it can be tough to co-ordinate with such a global community)

I-Novae Community Event

Saturday, July 28th 2018 : Alpha Community Gathering No.2

Event Time…

19:00 Saturday, Coordinated Universal Time (UTC)

World time Buddy Event http://bit.ly/2LSuEbz

We’ll likely be online for a few hours, but I’d encourage everyone to get online near the start of the event, so we can push those concurrent player numbers up.

I’ll likely stream during the event, although it should take the form of a “Gameplay format” more than “Feature tour” format.

Event “Schedule”

Join the game

Get on Discord Infinity Community Discord Server

Form teams for PVP play, Red vrs Green

Get some PVP gameplay going
    We are likely to stream the gameplay on the I-Novae YouTube channel

Where can I find the instructions for alpha backers to download the game?

Originally Posted by Viajero View Post (Source)
    Where can I find the instructions for alpha backers to download the game?

This thread answers all alpha related questions.

https://forums.inovaestudios.com/t/i...ape-alpha/7112

Originally Posted by JonnyRedHed View Post (Source)
    This thread answers all alpha related questions.

https://forums.inovaestudios.com/t/i...ape-alpha/7112
    Ta

Well I jumped into it with barely a glance to the instructions and... I have to admit I may need to read how the flight model works. Managed to get to a planet surface and crash though