Page 267 of 400 FirstFirst ... 262265266267268269272 ... LastLast
Results 3,991 to 4,005 of 5999

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Out of Fuel? - Explorer Rescue Service, The Fuel Rats

Exclamation The Mischief does what it does best, again.

Picture this.
    You are alone. You enter a dark conference room, lit only by small milky veiled bulbs protruding from the grey-ish ceiling. The first thing you notice is a humongous table resting in the middle of the room. You can tell it is of impressive dimensions because you can see tens of office chairs lined up by each of its twelve sides. It looks and smells of Cedar and Mahogany. In the air lingers the faint, recognizable smell of Fuel. And something else, iodine in nature, salmon maybe. You look around. On the naked walls you see only a few greasy stains here and there. The room is eerily quiet.
    You suddenly hear a rasping sound, as if someone -somewhere- was clearing his throat.
    The room starts to flicker with pale lights, Ignis Faatus sparkling from the nether. Several forms seem to take seat around the table and you start hearing the static and chatter of radiowaved communications. You try to make out what they are saying, but to no avail. One voice then becomes loud and clear enough for you to hear :

"- Ahem. If I may be so bold as to ask that you all pay a little attention to what is going on over here ? Gentle Rats, Fuel Rats, Rats. I have a special announcement to make today. Yes, Quiet now please. I'll make this quick and dirty, like that band-aid I tore off this afternoon.

THE FUEL RATS MISCHIEF HAS SAVED MORE THAN 10,000 COMMANDERS !

This is not a Joke, nor it is a Drill, not it is an elaborate April Fuel Fool. The latest data had us standing at 10.005 and climbing. In true Fuel Rats fashion, we continue to deliver Service Above and Beyond Expectations, not stopping to wonder and gawk at this colossal achievement. What are tens of thousands of saved life when you think of all of those commanders still bathed by the cold light of an unscoopable sun, and those that will one day be in that situation ?
    As every Old Rat is wont to do when reaching milestones, let us take a moment to look back and reflect on our sins deeds. Let us walk down memory lane. And as every Fuel Rats only speaks for him/her/itself, here's my personal take on this.

The Fuel Rats started humbly. We sat awkwardly at our computers, checking the forums to see if anyone knew we even existed. we joked among ourselves that no one would ever need us and that we would soon all go our merry way to continue enjoy Elite in one form or another. But then, people started asking for help. And we immediately started answering ! Each week (yes, week) someone new had heard of us, was in a pinch and knew not what to do, was desperate enough to try his luck at our little gamble. Word of mouth started spreading, far and wide. We (briefly) had competition. It was now every other day that people needed us. Yes, they may not even have wanted to ask us because running out of fuel seems stupid and a few might have feared peer judgement (We don't judge... since 3301), but they *needed* us. To save those five long months worth of exploration data they were carrying, to be able to cash in those few millions in bounties, to reach Eravate in Supercruise...
    Some even came to us with ungodly riddles and impossible tasks (like crossing 41.30LY twice -without boost back in those days- with a few limpets or helping a ship without a Fuel Scoop cross thousands of light-years)... Lo and Behold ! We. Did not. Disappoint. With nerves of steel, eyes on the prize, grit and determination like you haven't seen anywhere else, we delivered. We. Delivered. Fuel. No matter the distance, no matter the time, no matter the language, no matter the obstacles, no matter the difficulty. We tackled any and every challenge on the way. No Fuel Scoop ? No Problem. No habla anglais ? No problem. No Americano ? No Problem. No Internet because a Shark bit the underwater cable (happened to the Aussies) ? No problem. No Hierarchy ? No problem. Your Grandma wants to watch ? No problem. Your house is on fire and your cat is hungry ? We drench the fire and feed the cat.
    What first started as an "explorer's rescue service" soon became an incredible adventure for many a player from any and every walk of life. We shared Fuel, Fear, Instances... We gave it our all and even more. Today, the Fuel Rats do one thing and they do it well. They save people's ships, teach them about the Galaxy and its wonders, the use and abuse of Fuel Scoop, the planning of an interstellar travel, the mechanics of making friends in a Galaxy Frontier wanted to see filled with cut-throat dangers and hazards, and much, much more...
    What was half a dozen intrepid explorers is now close to 2.000 people training, overseeing, surveying, patrolling, outfitting, refitting, laterally-thinking, writhing, scurrying, chattering and snickering around ; with more than 500 people active on a weekly basis. In less than ten month, we have maintained an amazing 95% success rate and come close to an average of 35 successful operations each day. Every. Day. Let that sink in for a moment. That's grossly one commander saved every hour. Every. Mother. Hutton. Trucking. Hour.

I will not list our Proudest Feats, we have too many to count. More to the point, we do not care about Feats. Glory ? Fame ? Those are mere tools to reach the people who might need us and haven't heard of us yet. A Fuel Rat's happiest when the Limpet "thunks" in a Cargo Hatch and his/her/its HUD lights up with "Fuel Transfer Complete". If you do not know the rush of pure unadultered Glory, Adrenaline, and relief that comes with the knowledge that this one escaped the cold icy embrace of (virtual) death, come and join us. See for yourself. Try it. All we Rats want at the end of the day is a story worth being told to kindred spirits at the holo-bar (Get this, the guy... *chuckle* fell asleep on his way to Hutton Orbital and was twice the distance in the *wrong* direction ! Can you imagine ? I watched the whole Star Wars Extended Edition Heptalogy and I still wasn't halfway to his beacon ! Oh man you should have seen how relieved he was at the end of things !).

Instead, I will sit here in silence. I will try to wrap my head around what we have become.
    And I will say this : (As I prepare to type the rest of this sentence, my chest swells up with pride and my eyes with tears.)
    As I said previously, we have a 95% success ratio (more or less). My first thought goes to those we lost. We are not perfect, and they bear testimony to that. We may save virtual ships, but the investment each of us has in those ships is real. When I go out to offer Fuel, I do not push buttons for a virtual interaction. I am actively engaging another human being, somewhere on this tiny little planet of ours, to play differently. To narrate another kind of story. I am saving that (wo)man's investment. Time. Affection for his/her/its ship. I am making History. My History. Their History. Our History. As such, I am taken apart each time we lose someone. We may take comfort in the knowledge that they weren't alone in those difficult times and that is, I think, the most Noble thing one can ask for. To have someone break the loneliness and bear witness. In our time of grief, haven't we all wished for someone to come and relieve us by their simple presence ? Do we not congregate together when mending wounds ? Do we not stand united in the face of adversity ? Do we not defy logic when tasked to help a fellow human being ? These were all rethoric questions. Of course we do. We're the Fuel Rats. If we can save you, we probably will.
    My second thought is for the Mischief as a whole. No Rat stands atop another. Not even our creator, Surly_Badger, who only claimed two rescues for his name (althought they were of the long range kind, 10k out of the "bubble"). We came from being an anarchic collective to this impressive Cooperative, almost utopian in its form if not function : not a single wirtten rule except our three guidelines, a very fluid way of working together that is accessible to anyone and close to professionnally trained emergency workers. These 10.000 rescues could not have happened without each and everyone of us. The comforting, funny, sometime silly, always welcoming "Rat Chat" IRC Room is akin to a home away from home to many ; a family you can choose. The Fuel Rats Room is often messy and noisy but when things get Quiet (yes, I said Quiet !) we start to worry. What if someone, somewhere, does not know of us and can't call us for help ?
    Oh, I could rant on and on, again and again about The Fuel Rats. But let me close this with an extensive salutation :

To The Fuel Rats Mischief, stay gentle, stay excellent.
    To the Lost Ones, may the Stars forever sing your names. You are not forgotten, we are not forgiven.
    To our clients, fly safe and buy a Fuel Scoop.
    To Frontier, I cannot thank you enough for giving us such an opportunity.
    To Surly_Badger, thank you.
    To each and every single Rat, active or not, thank you. From the bottom of my heart.
    To the Black Rats, we do not exist.

End of transmission."

This was Kerenn "Two Jumps"
    Fly Safe (o_<)7

The Fuel Rats Mischief.
    We have Fuel.
    You don't.
    Any Questions ?

And here we go:

The EXTRA Rattatoon! Originally, that was planned for the Thursday after the 10,000 was reached -- now I will swap it with the original Congratulations Toon. That will follow on Thursday. Inspired by the post of a Rat on IRC.

POSTER:

by Uvelius Sång, with Robins 3D Rat models (www.3drjb.com) and Father Cools RatRoundel Rat head decal, for The FuelRats.

--> load the 300dpi A4 large version

*claps for the mischief*

We weren't even at 5000 when I joined the mischief last year somewhen in fall/autumn.

Originally Posted by Kerenn View Post (Source)
    The Fuel Rats Mischief.
    We have Fuel.
    You don't.
    Any Questions ?
    Just one. Can you get any more awesome?

<Snip>
    Awesome.

Any Questions ?
    Yeah I have one too!

To the Black Rats, we do not exist.
    Are you telling the Black Rats that the fuel rats don't exist or are you telling everyone the Black Rats don't exist? Shouldn't it be "they do not exist", or are you giving us a hint?

Originally Posted by Uvelius Sång View Post (Source)
    And here we go:

The EXTRA Rattatoon! Originally, that was planned for the Thursday after the 10,000 was reached -- now I will swap it with the original Congratulations Toon. That will follow on Thursday. Inspired by the post of a Rat on IRC.

http://www.fuelrats.com/wp-content/u...0000_truth.jpg

POSTER:
    http://www.fuelrats.com/wp-content/u...oster10000.jpg

by Uvelius Sång, with Robins 3D Rat models (www.3drjb.com) and Father Cools RatRoundel Rat head decal, for The FuelRats.

--> load the 300dpi A4 large version
    Love the poster and the Ratatoons. Only have one rep to give, so split it between the two.

Hearty congratulations on the 10,000 everyone.

Originally Posted by iain666 View Post (Source)
    Awesomeness has no cap, so yes.

Glorious writeup Kerenn, truly glorious ... darn near brought a tear to my eye.

Gosh, 10,000 ... it really does only seem like yesterday that we were looking ahead to breaking 1000 (100 even).
    Ten ... THOUSAND!?!

Ridiculous.

I remember the first discussions about refuelling people and the first faltering steps in organising how to achieve it. I really never thought that first conversation would end up with such a professional and slick organisation

Originally Posted by iain666 View Post (Source)
    Yes.
    Originally Posted by Alex Brentnall View Post (Source)
    Awesome.
    Yeah I have one too!
    Are you telling the Black Rats that the fuel rats don't exist or are you telling everyone the Black Rats don't exist? Shouldn't it be "they do not exist", or are you giving us a hint?
    Yes.
    Originally Posted by Traveller_GG View Post (Source)
    I remember the first discussions about refuelling people and the first faltering steps in organising how to achieve it. I really never thought that first conversation would end up with such a professional and slick organisation
    Yes.

Once I get back from DW sometime in June & start the Crab nebula trip, I look forward to reserve some hull space for fuel rescue equipment & become a rat.

Hi Sorry to interrupt your fuel ratting, Rusti asked me to do some big colour rat logos recently and I finally got round to finishing these pics and sent him some big ones thatll do for mugs or whatnot. hope you like them.

I have still got to finish the 3drat for 3d printing.. im pretty sure we can get a half decent sandstone rat out without the helmet.. itll take a few days to prep the model and test it etc.. but its on my list.. it may take a while.

EDIT:- a lot of people are asking can I use such and such.. as ive freely given these to the rats.. if your use is non profit.. go for it.. anything else ask the top rat. im not into people making money out of my donated work. unless it benefits the fuel rats running operation.

Hello, CMDRs! I wanted to share a promotional video that I made for all of you. Thank you for your hard work, and congratulations on making it to 10,000 rescues!

You can view the video [here](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GdFSEio5Vw).

I would Rep, if I only could ... great work! And indeed looking forward to the "standstone" Rat
    Good logos, how about the Thumbs Up Rat that you already published earlier here? For me, it seems to be even more effective in the circle.

Originally Posted by robinjb View Post (Source)
    Hi Sorry to interrupt your fuel ratting, Rusti asked me to do some big colour rat logos recently and I finally got round to finishing these pics and sent him some big ones thatll do for mugs or whatnot. hope you like them.

http://www.3drjb.com/fuelrats/Fuelrats_nlog.pnghttp://www.3drjb.com/fuelrats/Fuelrats_offduty.png
    I have still got to finish the 3drat for 3d printing.. im pretty sure we can get a half decent sandstone rat out without the helmet.. itll take a few days to prep the model and test it etc.. but its on my list.. it may take a while.
    I really like those! Can I use the left one as a profile pic?