Page 60 of 97 First 56585960616264 Last

Thread: [Explorer's Application] Captain's Log

Originally Posted by disorganise View Post (Source)
    Feedback on the version 2 I just read about
    You might well have this covered already but it would be useful I think to show if a system is 'green' or only has j1/j2. Just thinking of saving the mental gymnastics required

Could it be possible for v2 to open v1 db's as read only? Appreciate the wealth of info being introduced that makes it impractical for an import etc, but it would be useful to load up the previous DB's without needing to keep a separate install of the old version of the program kicking around.
    Hi there!

I saw your report about the statistics being different between the displayed and exported stuff - I'm not going to do anything about that due to converting CL to play nicely with the Player Journal - hope you understand

As for loading up old DB's - no promises, but I'll see what I can do - there may be a period of time where you'll need the old and new versions installed until I get around to being able to view them in v2.x - re-programming Captain's Log for the upcoming 2.2 is proving to be an interesting and extremely time-consuming affair - I've already put in an inordinate amount of man-hours into the task (and there's only a team of one ) - I'm actually getting exhausted trying to get this done in time for 2.2 going live

I'm already thinking about things like Jumponium - watch this space.

Anyway here's a screenie of the latest WIP whilst I'm here. Not the final layout but you get the idea...

Regards o7

I'm trying to use CL after being away from the game for a few months, and I keep getting this error when starting up the program:

I'm unable to start the program at all, and uninstalling/reinstalling has no affect.

Originally Posted by death2mepart View Post (Source)
    I'm trying to use CL after being away from the game for a few months, and I keep getting this error when starting up the program:

I'm unable to start the program at all, and uninstalling/reinstalling has no affect.
    CL can't open the database file - says it right there at the bottom of the error message

It looks like it's trying to create the values.db - which is a database of the star and planet types, and their values.

Therefore it looks like CL doesn't have permission to create files in the directory it's trying to do so.

If CL was running in that configuration before, then Something Has Changed between when you last ran CL, and now.

You can try reconfiguring CL by removing the configuration file called CaptainsLog.INI - but before you do, take a look in that file (it's a text file) and see where you have your CL directories configured, then check to see if you have read/write permission, and/or if it's pointing to the correct location - the config file is pretty straightforward to understand.

CaptainsLog.INI is located in %localappdir%\CaptainsLog

I noticed that CL was not updating my database, so I checked the log file location. No problem. I just click "Configure" and go to the "Miscellaneous" tab. Click "Reconfigure ED/CL Directories" and sure enough, it is not set to the correct Log file directory.

I paste the correct location into the field and ... there is no "Confirm" option, just a "Cancel" button. Strange. I know I've changed the log file location in the past. I hit cancel, then go back to make sure the change was saved, and of course, it was not. Okay, so I click "Select", navigate over to the correct directory, click on "Select Folder" and get a message "The selected location seems fine." Excellent!

But ... still nothing but a "Cancel" button. I know I've done this before and had it work, so I click "Cancel". Click on "Reconfigure ED/CL Directories" again to make sure the update was saved... Nope! As one would expect "Cancel" cancelled my changes.

What am I missing?

Thanks!
    CMDR Rau Mac

Originally Posted by Genar-Hofoen View Post (Source)
    Hi there!

I saw your report about the statistics being different between the displayed and exported stuff - I'm not going to do anything about that due to converting CL to play nicely with the Player Journal - hope you understand

As for loading up old DB's - no promises, but I'll see what I can do - there may be a period of time where you'll need the old and new versions installed until I get around to being able to view them in v2.x - re-programming Captain's Log for the upcoming 2.2 is proving to be an interesting and extremely time-consuming affair - I've already put in an inordinate amount of man-hours into the task (and there's only a team of one ) - I'm actually getting exhausted trying to get this done in time for 2.2 going live

I'm already thinking about things like Jumponium - watch this space.

Anyway here's a screenie of the latest WIP whilst I'm here. Not the final layout but you get the idea...

Regards o7

http://i.imgur.com/QSFPHFR.png
    Want. So. Bad.

Must. Raise. Paypal. Balance.

Note: I would be happy to just import the text notes on each system from my old database. 2.2 and on will pretty much kill my lazy mode recording of cartographic data.

Captain's Log 2.0 Rollout Later Today

Originally Posted by Ralph Vargr View Post (Source)
    Want. So. Bad.

Must. Raise. Paypal. Balance.

Note: I would be happy to just import the text notes on each system from my old database. 2.2 and on will pretty much kill my lazy mode recording of cartographic data.
    Hi Ralph and everyone else.

After reading today's 2.2 Release Changelogs, Captain's Log 2.0 will be released some time after 2.2 goes live.

I will have to check that any changes to the Player Journal mentioned in that changelog won't create errors in Captain's Log 2.0. I will make any adjustments needed to CL 2.0 after testing with the live game.

In the meantime, here's a latest screenshot of the just about final finished 2.0 ...

Regards o7

Genar,

as always your work and dedication for getting us explorers a brilliant toolbox for our labours knows no bounds. Thanks in advance for all your efforts and I seriously hope CL will cover all those neat and nice bits 2.2 will give us, although as a non-computer guy I don't even understand half of all these API and verbose related things.

I am looking forward to using CL again and to having a blast with all its functionalities.

Fly safe!
    Andrew

If I may offer a suggestion: why don't you try and get EDD and CL merged together? Your user interface is a million times better and they have sorted all the nitty gritty of the basics but lack in user friendliness especially with the new journal. It makes sense to join forces and share resources, having only one tool instead of two doing almost exactly the same job.

Originally Posted by Rhea Lorell View Post (Source)
    If I may offer a suggestion: why don't you try and get EDD and CL merged together? Your user interface is a million times better and they have sorted all the nitty gritty of the basics but lack in user friendliness especially with the new journal. It makes sense to join forces and share resources, having only one tool instead of two doing almost exactly the same job.
    Captain's Log and EDD are written in completely different languages using completely different GUI toolkits.

Arrow Captain's Log 2.0.0 BETA available for download/testing/preview.

As the title suggests, Captain's Log 2.0.0 BETA is available for download/installation/testing.

You can install it alongside CL1.x

It will NOT load CL1.x DB's

It will create a Captainslog2 folder in your %localappdata% folder - this is to separate CL2.x from CL1.x

Not all the features I wanted made it into this build - there is no EDSM module - yet! - but I am working on it!

1) Download from : https://www.dropbox.com/s/qestfutj9s...setup.exe?dl=1
    2) Setup
    3) Run - select a folder where you want to keep your trip DB's - you can choose the default as displayed in the folder chooser window.
    4) Then jump and scan as usual - CL2 will give you a display of whatever data the game supplies - after a detailed surface scan - as the game will not produce a journal entry other wise.

EDIT: You might want to switch the Update Checker off - in the Configuration Manager, Misc tab

Test, report back, etc. on this thread

Hopefully you will find it useful!

I am going to take a break now for the next few days. Utterly exhausted after that

Regards o7

Well done! I'll give it a go. Get some well-earned rest o7.

Hehe, on first run it tells you that you should update it with v1.4.1

Oh yeah - disable the Update Checker

Would you like bug reports here or somewhere else?
    I'm probably going to report stuff you already know, like that the icon in the taskbar is just a generic one.

I'm giving it a go, and so far I find it extremely useful in terms of information presentation. I can see immediately the jumponium specific materials as well as all the information on planets. Lovely. Worse comes to worse I'll be running together with EDD which provides different functionality. But I'm loving CL totally. Thank you for putting so much effort in it.